As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: Mastery(?) of PIXELS

silence1186silence1186 Character shields down!As a wingmanRegistered User regular
edited August 10 in Games and Technology


I'm honestly not sure what this one is about, or who it's for.

This is the thread for talking about Square Enix's flagship series, Final Fantasy, originally released in 1987.

A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE

MAIN SERIES

They've made fifteen main series games and over fifty spin off titles. Here's what the fans says about them.
I love Final Fantasy because you have to start somewhere.
I love Final Fantasy II because I like hitting myself for stat ups.
I love Final Fantasy III because it allowed me to stop being a hippy and get a job for the first time.
I love Final Fantasy IV because I don't have enough versions of it yet.
I love Final Fantasy V because I can play it for charity.
I hate Final Fantasy VI because I'm a soulless monster without any redeeming qualities.
I love Final Fantasy VII because it's getting remade, naturally.
I love Final Fantasy VIII because I'm a Triple Triad cardshark. There was a fun minigame about saving the world included too.
I love Final Fantasy IX because "Steiner, please, look behind you!"
I love Final Fantasy X because blitzball is rad.
I love Final Fantasy XI because it kept Square Enix in business.
I love Final Fantasy XII because I can finally play the IZJS!.
I love Final Fantasy XIII because I can't get enough Lightning.
I love Final Fantasy XIV because Stormblood is great!
I love Final Fantasy XV because it continues to exist. SQEX thanks you for beta testing the game for them.
I love Final Fantasy XVI because it's officially announced to exist.

SPIN OFFS

Every time profits are down SE makes some more FF games. There are a lot of them, too many to list them all so I'll just continue the theme with the more popular ones.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics because I love grid based movement.
I hate Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles because I have no friends.
I hate Final Fantasy Mystic Quest because it's too easy and I don't like having fun.
I love Final Fantasy X-2 because it really is the ultimate expression of both ATB and the Job system. Also I understand math so Sphere Breaker ain't shit.
I love Dissidia because it's included in its entirety in its sequel.
I love FF XIII-2 because monsters are great at parties.
I love Crisis Core because Zack is an unbeatable hero.
I love Theatrhythm because Square Enix has the best music.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance because just one more turn.
I love Dissidia Duodecim 012 Final Fantasy because you can settle which Final Fantasy is best for all time with your fists.
I love Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 because more of the same is exactly what you need when the same is fantastic.
I love Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns because it was either this or no new games at all.
I love Final Fantasy Dimensions because I love Final Fantasy V.
I hate Final Fantasy Record Keeper because it became a monster unto itself.
I love Final Fantasy Explorers because Monster Hunter is a good game, right?
I love World of Final Fantasy because I can stack pocket sized Final Fantasy monsters on my head to do battle!
I love Dissidia NT because I can finally fight my friends online with my favorite FF character!
I love DFF Opera Omnia because it's a bite sized Final Fantasy with bite sized characters!
I love Final Fantasy VII Remake because it's a fresh awesome take on an old favorite.

WHICH VERSION IS BEST?

There's a version of almost everything for almost everything these days. However, avoid the PSX version of FF5 unless it's your only option.

THE PRESENT

The present is the FF7 Remake release!



Ta da! Behold, a glimpse of the FF7 remake! Someday it might come out. PS5 era, maybe PS6. More details in June, maybe? Or whispers of FF16 ever existing? APRIL 10TH, 2020!

Spoiler-filled Final Trailer:


An interlude DLC for the PS5 featuring Yuffie! Sorry PS4 owners.



THE FUTURE

FF16: Presumably eventually? No known info yet. Trailer up!



Final Fantasy 16 announced! The dark age with no new Final Fantasies on the horizon has ended. Look now to the new dawn!

Official site: https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/

FF7R: Two new mobile games



Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin ft. Garland



Final Fantasy's current MMO, Final Fantasy XIV

While it's totally kosher to talk about FF11 and FF14 here, keep in mind there is a dedicated FF14 MMO-specific thread.

Final Fantasy Mobile offerings

Final Fantasy Record Keeper's popularity grew so much that it dominated most of the discussion in the thread. As such it (and all mobile F2P Final Fantasy games) have been given their own threads.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

Mobius Final Fantasy. RIP

Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.

KINGDOM HEARTS

Is vaguely related to Final Fantasy, but has its own thread here.

BRAVELY DEFAULT

Is everything you might want in a Final Fantasy, and you can talk about it here.

FF5 FOUR JOB FIESTA
Do you have what it takes to play what is quite simply the most fun and addicting alternate game mode of any RPG ever? Do you want to help out sick children by raising money for the greatest charity in the world? Do you want to watch RK sleepily make his way through Neo-Exdeath with quite a sub standard party? If this sounds even remotely interesting well then, do I have a website for you.

The deal is you get four jobs from the normal set of 20+ and you can only use skills from those four. As you gain new job sets one job is randomly assigned to you and each assigned job must be equipped at all times on at least one party member. You get the wind job, you get four of those, you get the water job, your party must be made up at least one from your water job and one from your wind job and so on. There are variations

http://fourjobfiesta.com/

What do you need to start playing?

1. A copy of FF5. PSN version is cheapest and worst. SFC version is pretty cheap but in Japanese, GBA version is best but expensive, iOS version is a lot cheaper than that but has the issues standard with playing a game on iOS (easy screencaps though!)

2. A twitter account. Yeah I hate twitter too but I made some dummy accounts just for this.

3.Then all you do is sign up at the website (with any of the optional run ideas) and you can play from whenever RK beats the game until the end of August!

Where does the charity come in you say? Well, you can either pledge money to change whatever jobs RK is assigned for his inaugural run (1 dollar=1 extra vote for a job!) or you can pledge money for doing various deeds. If you can't donate money you'll notice that you can still earn money from other people's pledges by completing their goals (usually beating the game with a certain class, beating the two optional bosses,etc.) It's just like getting sponsors for a 10k back in school! You play, everyone wins.

Credit to @xenogears of bore for cannibalizing most of his OPs.

silence1186 on
ElvenshaeAndy Joe
«13456781

Posts

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    You totally just reminded me of World of Final Fantasy. I want to pick up the Maxima DLC and see what's new there.

    And maybe play through the story again, with a closer eye on building a team? It was fun the first time through, and it's been a while.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got the GBA carts of FF5 and FF6 sitting on my shelf. Muhahahahaha!

    rahkeesh2000TofystedethStabbity Style
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    You totally just reminded me of World of Final Fantasy. I want to pick up the Maxima DLC and see what's new there.

    And maybe play through the story again, with a closer eye on building a team? It was fun the first time through, and it's been a while.

    Oh. You can add Maxima onto it? I will have to try that.

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, Maxima was first a DLC, and then I think they released physical versions with it packed in already?

  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I just grabbed WOFF because it was on sale.

    The production value for it is much higher than I expected. Game looks really good on PC.

    Also the main post reminded me this is the month I thought I would finally be able to play FF7R on PC ::(

  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Today is the 27th anniversary of FF6. Goddamn that makes me feel old.

    OneAngryPossumFencingsaxTofystedethNightslyrShadowfireGONG-00CarpyKoopahTroopahitalianranmaBlackDragon48038thDoeNitsua
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hey kingsglaive is on netflix. I'm imagining random netflix viewers just being like "none of this makes sense"

    Frem
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    Today is the 27th anniversary of FF6. Goddamn that makes me feel old.

    I got the Nintendo Power strategy guide for FF6 sitting on a shelf too.

    CruorHeraldS
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Hey kingsglaive is on netflix. I'm imagining random netflix viewers just being like "none of this makes sense"

    Kingsglaive confused my dad.

  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Kingsglaive could've been good if it wasn't so bad.

    FencingsaxDarth_MogsLD50KruiteironsizideNitsua
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Here is the old Nintendo Power Final Fantasy 1 strategy guide. I think I still have that somewhere.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N33POC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_FWK28CZMNK1XXXZ65T3H

  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »
    Today is the 27th anniversary of FF6. Goddamn that makes me feel old.

    I got the Nintendo Power strategy guide for FF6 sitting on a shelf too.

    I have an FF6 (well, FFIII if we're going by what the cart says) SNES cart in my apartment. Maybe I'll fire it up and play some for the anniversary.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2
    Cruor wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »
    Today is the 27th anniversary of FF6. Goddamn that makes me feel old.

    I got the Nintendo Power strategy guide for FF6 sitting on a shelf too.

    I have an FF6 (well, FFIII if we're going by what the cart says) SNES cart in my apartment. Maybe I'll fire it up and play some for the anniversary.

    Yeah. I got the original SNES cart too. I dumped it to my PC as well. I dumped the roms of all my SNES games since the batteries are probably going bad.

    Krathoon on
    CruorArd
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Here is the old Nintendo Power Final Fantasy 1 strategy guide. I think I still have that somewhere.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N33POC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_FWK28CZMNK1XXXZ65T3H

    Hell Yeah
    3rlqqkcdkmt9.jpg

    CruorkimePailryderWhelkNightslyrFencingsaxShadowfireGONG-00italianranmaNitsua
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Here is the old Nintendo Power Final Fantasy 1 strategy guide. I think I still have that somewhere.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N33POC/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_FWK28CZMNK1XXXZ65T3H

    Hell Yeah
    3rlqqkcdkmt9.jpg

    I'll have to see if I have it in this container in the computer room. I put a bunch of old Nintendo stuff in it.

    Edit: Ah. It is not there. Just a bunch of old NES game boxes. I bet it is at my parent's house.

    Krathoon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I'll have to see if I got Final Fantasy Tactics Advance somewhere. I need to get a case for my GBA games.

  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, Maxima was first a DLC, and then I think they released physical versions with it packed in already?

    I think the version of it on Switch had it built in at launch as well.

    Cruorvagrant_winds
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I'll have to see if I got Final Fantasy Tactics Advance somewhere. I need to get a case for my GBA games.

    I just discovered today that I still have this despite not having anything that can play it for years and it survived my old game purge mid lockdown. Maybe it's a sign

  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I still keep this around.
    o3742j3rz0nr.jpg

    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    kimePailryderPolaritieNightslyrShadowfireLucedesitalianranmahemmelightPenumbraironsizide
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind the strategy guide for FFT Advance.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 4
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the strategy guide for FFT Advance.

    I went ahead and got one on eBay. Someone wrote their name in the front, but it seems to be in good shape.

    FF9 Update: I leveled up Vivi and got Thunder. I guess I will try taking down the grotto boss.

    Krathoon on
    McMoogleOneAngryPossumkimePailryderNightslyrFencingsaxShadowfire
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Chantry of NightmaresRegistered User regular
    Kingsglaive is a beautiful mess, if nothing else.

    It's right at home on Netflix.

    ePITGr0.png
    MegaMan001FremBlackDragon480
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    It's the year of our space pope 2021 and I still let myself get suckered into an argument about Hope on another forum. He's an actual God damn child. Just because he doesn't act like a "genre savvy JRPG child who acts like a 25 year old hero" and instead appears to act like a real child when he sees his mother die, does not make him "cringe"

    kimeShenl742vagrant_windsNightslyrBlackDragon480
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Least he has a sick boomerang.

    steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Heck yeah boomerang

  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I just read Gideon The 9th over the weekend and there was sort of a recurring bit in there that reminds me of the whole Hope thing.
    There's a pair of characters that the main character mentally refers to as awful/horrible/etc teens, and only rarely also acknowledges that their awfulness is basically all normal puberty/ teen stuff and that she herself is only a few years past it.

    steam_sig.png
    physi_marcKana
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    It's the year of our space pope 2021 and I still let myself get suckered into an argument about Hope on another forum. He's an actual God damn child. Just because he doesn't act like a "genre savvy JRPG child who acts like a 25 year old hero" and instead appears to act like a real child when he sees his mother die, does not make him "cringe"

    Plus, Hope in 13-2 as a grown up is a fucking baller. Dude's hands down the coolest person in that game.

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    physi_marcArteenvagrant_windsBlackDragon480
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    It's the year of our space pope 2021 and I still let myself get suckered into an argument about Hope on another forum. He's an actual God damn child. Just because he doesn't act like a "genre savvy JRPG child who acts like a 25 year old hero" and instead appears to act like a real child when he sees his mother die, does not make him "cringe"

    Thank you. It's all a bunch of macho bullshit trying to dictate how male characters should "properly" grieve.

    It also ignores that Hope's character arc concludes with him making some very adult decisions.

    I feel like Alphinaud from FF14 also get's this kind of shit too.

    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    physi_marcvagrant_windsStabbity StyleDignified PauperAndy JoeNightslyrSyphonBlueLucedes
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Hey kingsglaive is on netflix. I'm imagining random netflix viewers just being like "none of this makes sense"

    Kingsglaive confused my dad.

    I watched it last weekend with some siblings. Repeated confusion about who this "Noct" guy was. It would have been a slightly more coherent film if they'd shown our favorite prince getting sent off on his quest at some point. Literally just take that one cutscene from the game and slap it in after the treaty debate.

  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    You all may recall that last year I completed a project of finishing Final Fantasy I-VII before starting VIIR. Next, I would like to complete VIII-XV (excluding XI and XIV, but including X-2, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns) before XVI comes out, whenever that might be.

    To that end, I have recently started Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on PS4.

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Sword Name: Claíomh
    kimeRenzoshoeboxjeddyNightslyrDignified PauperStabbity StyleLD50KoopahTroopahphysi_marcShenl742manwiththemachinegunAbsoluteZero
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    It's the year of our space pope 2021 and I still let myself get suckered into an argument about Hope on another forum. He's an actual God damn child. Just because he doesn't act like a "genre savvy JRPG child who acts like a 25 year old hero" and instead appears to act like a real child when he sees his mother die, does not make him "cringe"

    Thank you. It's all a bunch of macho bullshit trying to dictate how male characters should "properly" grieve.

    It also ignores that Hope's character arc concludes with him making some very adult decisions.

    I feel like Alphinaud from FF14 also get's this kind of shit too.

    alphinaud acts way old for his age tbh, even if he has moments of dumb teenagerness

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Dignified Pauper
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I got that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance strategy guide in the mail. It is pretty nice. It has lots of additional artwork.

    CruorShadowfirePailryderKoopahTroopahNightslyr
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind the strategy guide for FFT Advance.

    I went ahead and got one on eBay. Someone wrote their name in the front, but it seems to be in good shape.

    FF9 Update: I leveled up Vivi and got Thunder. I guess I will try taking down the grotto boss.

    Do you get spells just by equipping stuff? I was thinking you had to level up to get them, but that might be so you can permanently learn them.

    I got past the Grotto boss and I am now at Burmecia. I like how I have save states in this emulator. I can save whenever I want. I have it set to auto save when I exit the game.

    Krathoon on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Both: items have skills/spells/passives on them, you can use those while equipping the item. If you max the bar to learn them, then you can keep using those even without the item.

    Shenl742
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Both: items have skills/spells/passives on them, you can use those while equipping the item. If you max the bar to learn them, then you can keep using those even without the item.

    Yeah. I was thinking I didn't have thunder until I maxed the bar. I did not scroll down in Vivi's menu. I noticed I had blizzard and didn't max out the bar. Doh.

  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    Yeah you don't learn ANY abilities natural from leveling in in FF9. It's all tied to fighting enough times with certain equipment on. It's kind of like materia in FF7? But you learn the magic/skills permanently?

    This means that it's critical that you buy/find/steal as many different pieces of weapons and equipment as possible. Keep them on until a character learns all the abilities on them, and pass/rotate that equipment around to other characters that can equip it so they can learn abilities too.

    It's funny that you're getting into FFTA at the same time, because that uses the exact same system!

    Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. I was using the wrong term. It is not really leveling. It is fighting enough times with the equipment to fill the ability bars.

    I just didn't realize that just wearing the item also gives you the ability. You don't have to fill the bar unless you want to learn the ability.

    Vivi's spell list is kind of misleading. Some spells are way down on the list and off screen.

    Shenl742kime
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. I was using the wrong term. It is not really leveling. It is fighting enough times with the equipment to fill the ability bars.

    I just didn't realize that just wearing the item also gives you the ability. You don't have to fill the bar unless you want to learn the ability.

    Vivi's spell list is kind of misleading. Some spells are way down on the list and off screen.

    Oh yeahhhh. Spells/skills all have dedicated spots on on the in game lists. Just remembered that, It's weird.

    Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    kime
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Yeah you don't learn ANY abilities natural from leveling in in FF9. It's all tied to fighting enough times with certain equipment on. It's kind of like materia in FF7? But you learn the magic/skills permanently?

    More like VI's magicite, then.

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Sword Name: Claíomh
    TalithKai_San
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    The thing it’s most like is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Or vice versa. You learn all skills by equipping the relevant gear and gaining enough ability points in battle with the item equipped.

Sign In or Register to comment.