As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Somehow, they made it out of there.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    so AWESOME you mean

I mean it's an awesome moment at first. But then it just gets negated 5 seconds later and that's why I find it kind of frustrating...

FC: 1907-8030-1478
    Garland is a party pooper.

Alexander
    I guess Garland destroyed it? That's what it looked like.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Alexander
    I guess Garland destroyed it? That's what it looked like.
    Yep. The Invincible destroyed Alexander, rather than allowing Kuja to attempt to take its power to stage a coup against him.

FF9
    Garland and the Invincible kind of come out of nowhere.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah.

I am still debating on going back to try to win that card tournament. The game launches through a bunch of events right after the card game. I don't know if I want to play through that again.

edited June 2021
    Edit: Whoops, I lied and screwed up the order of events I think

Shenl742 on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Can you play through FF8 and just ignore Triple Triad?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Yes, but it's funnnn so why would you???

But yeah you totally can.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Yeah. FF9 forces you to play 3 card games. It was better than I thought.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

Yes, I have several times.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    But you can't just play Triple Triad and ignore FF8, which seems like a big oversight.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    klemming wrote: »
    But you can't just play Triple Triad and ignore FF8, which seems like a big oversight.

Yes you can. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.ffportal_w.googleplay
    Or alternatively. https://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Yes you can. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.ffportal_w.googleplay
    Or alternatively. https://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/

That's evil. Collecting the cards in XIV requires playing the rest of the game! But it does let you ignore VIII, so technically...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The Portal App always used to be terrible. Does it at least run better?

I'm guessing not?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    I need to get out my thumbdrive and transfer my FF9 and FF6 saves to the desktop.

edited June 2021
    FF6 Update
    First encounter with Ultros. Bannon keeps getting killed. Looked up a strategy.

Krathoon on
    I think I did the loop there getting everyone to level 10-11 before fighting Ultros.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I want to say that's where you can tape a battery to the confirm button and the game will just auto battle while using Banning heal and you come back in s few hours and your level fifty or whatever?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I want to say that's where you can tape a battery to the confirm button and the game will just auto battle while using Banning heal and you come back in s few hours and your level fifty or whatever?

absolutely a viable strategy. if you like min/maxing then you miss out on the stat gains from some espers so it's just a question of what you want out of the game.

Pailryder wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

absolutely a viable strategy. if you like min/maxing then you miss out on the stat gains from some espers so it's just a question of what you want out of the game.

That's true. But FFVI is never so hard that you need to worry about the esper boosts that much. You might lose out on a few points of strength on Sabin, but he'll be doing 9999 by the end of the game anyway.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Isn't the way stat math works in FF6 so bizarre that the only one that generally matters anyway is Magic? You should be able to max that out easy enough.

edited June 2021
    Though it's true that it's not necessary to beat the game, the fact that you have to get through a decent chunk of the game before you can permanently raise your characters stats still feels like a poor design decision

Shenl742 on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    Though it's true that it's not necessary to beat the game, the fact that you have to get through a decent chunk of the game before you can permanently raise your characters stats still feels like a poor design decision
    I think the design is that you can do fine by playing through normally. But if you allow stat-raising in any way, minmaxers gonna minmax.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    FF6 Update

FF6 is one of those games where it really pays to manage both the back row and use the defend command. It can save you from a wipe out if your healer stays ready to go after a big boss AOE burst.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    FF6 Update

FF6 is one of those games where it really pays to manage both the back row and use the defend command. It can save you from a wipe out if your healer stays ready to go after a big boss AOE burst.

Manage nothing. Put everybody in the back row, because virtually everything that isn't just a default Fight command ignores the attack penalty for being in the back row.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    FF6 Update

Yes. The strategy is to put Banon in the back row and have him defend. Use Terra to heal. The game tries to trick you into having Banon heal.

Bannon Healing is fine. It allows Terra to burn stuff. The less time enemies stay alive, the less likely it is they’ll get lucky with killing Bannon.

Also, IIRC, Ultros’s tentacle attacks go in a set order across the team, with Bannon being the 4th one to be targeted. So you can anticipate when he should defend.

It seems like putting Banon in the second row was enough to protect him. I made it past Ultros. Now, I had Mog pick Sabin. I guess that goes to the Ghost Train.

I guess I will try to win the card tournament in FF9.

I guess I will try to win the card tournament in FF9.

I played pretty far after it. I have a save.

This is one obtuse side quest.
    https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Morrid

Oh that's nothing. There's an endgame side quest in FFIX that literally took years to players to figure out. The prize for doing it isn't impressive though, so I imagine it was made just for funsies.

Shenl742 wrote: »

Oh that's nothing. There's an endgame side quest in FFIX that literally took years to players to figure out. The prize for doing it isn't impressive though, so I imagine it was made just for funsies.

The most interesting thing with that sidequest is that one of the characters in it is named "Penero". It makes me think that FFXII's Penelo might have been named in reference to it. Which would be a reference that nobody would get until years after FFXII came out.

edited June 2021
    Honestly I think the whole Nero quest was just something a bored programmer put in at the last minute...

Shenl742 on
    I will complete the coffee quest.

edited June 2021
    FF9 Update
    Somehow, I am missing a coffee. I got the hard to get one. I have to get the 3 coffees to the old guy before he dies in an earthquake.
    Cid is a frog now. Dagger lost her voice. I got a boat.

Oh. I won the card tournament.

Krathoon on
    The crystals...
    The flavor crystals.

This discussion has been closed.