As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy]: My Way!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    a lot of FF1's monsters are also pretty much straight out of the monster manual too

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Prohass wrote: »
    I thought the English VA in FF7R was really good :0

It was shockingly good, because it was clear they did basically a rewrite of the Japanese that gave the voice actors lines that sound like something that would be said in English. And it wasn’t just line to line changes, they made comprehensive structure changes so that entire conversations and tones were appropriate and consistent for English dialogue

Like it’s not just that the actors were great, they had a script that was clearly rewritten for English from the original Japanese

Its a monumental effort when you think about how many moving parts that involves. But it pays off so much.

To give them credit, they've learned. A good translation isn't as close to the original as possible, it asks 'what was this actually saying, and how would we say it in this language?'.
    I don't know if they re-learned the lesson when switching to voice acting (just the change between X and X-2 is significant, and by XII they pretty much had it down), or they never learned in the first place and Ted Woolsey just got away with it because they didn't pay attention.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    p8zkpes7thym.png

I may have picked this up. Don't judge me.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

It was shockingly good, because it was clear they did basically a rewrite of the Japanese that gave the voice actors lines that sound like something that would be said in English. And it wasn’t just line to line changes, they made comprehensive structure changes so that entire conversations and tones were appropriate and consistent for English dialogue

Like it’s not just that the actors were great, they had a script that was clearly rewritten for English from the original Japanese

Its a monumental effort when you think about how many moving parts that involves. But it pays off so much.

God help a fan translator who does that, people still gripe about changing honorifics to appropriate phrases.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

To give them credit, they've learned. A good translation isn't as close to the original as possible, it asks 'what was this actually saying, and how would we say it in this language?'.
    I don't know if they re-learned the lesson when switching to voice acting (just the change between X and X-2 is significant, and by XII they pretty much had it down), or they never learned in the first place and Ted Woolsey just got away with it because they didn't pay attention.

I think they knew that during the FFX translation project, but they couldn't handle the translation the way they wanted to due to technical limitations. They were unable to change both the timing of voice lines or the lip movements, which meant the translation and voicework had to be handled more like dubbing an anime or film.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm pretty harsh on VA work on I thought the FF7R VA was good-to-great. It doesn't set a new standard of quality or anything, but I have zero memory of an important moment being blown by delivery so poor it made you cringe, and the lines were virtually always carrying the right tones and inflections for what they were trying to convey. Even Barret's VA, which I fully expected to piss me off, never bothered me.

I was expecting the usual thing where the lines come off horribly awkward and unnatural because they couldn't be bothered to do more than a direct translation, resulting in lines that sound like crap and the voice actors don't even know how to deliver them because they don't make any sense to an English-speaker. Instead, all the VA work was just... pretty good? I was very pleased and surprised by that.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    p8zkpes7thym.png

Where did you import from? I thought these were japan only

Oh fuck it's on the NA store too oh god oh man!

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I almost wound up with all 3 but settled on just Agrias. Frankly, if they'd offered Ovelia I'd have gotten her too, over Ramza/Delita. Give Agrias and Ovelia the happy ending they deserved, on my bookshelf.

• Options
    I almost had Ramza in my cart too but I'm pretty sure my wife would leave me at that point.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I almost wound up with all 3 but settled on just Agrias. Frankly, if they'd offered Ovelia I'd have gotten her too, over Ramza/Delita. Give Agrias and Ovelia the happy ending they deserved, on my bookshelf.

The only happy ending Delita deserves is a long drop and a sudden stop.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I'd also like: generic character job figures, Gafgarion, Mustadio, T.G. Cid, Worker 8
    I'd jump on a female priest and either gender wizard figures so fast

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    p8zkpes7thym.png

That whole set is great. If I was gonna get some figures it'd be the FF7R ones. Gimme Tifa, Tifa in Dress, Aerith, Aerith in Dress, Jessie, and Yuffie. And any Cloud in Dress they ever decide to release in the future.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'd buy a Sabin or Setzer figure in a heartbeat, but if your name isn't Terra, you're not getting a figure.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I'd buy a Sabin or Setzer figure in a heartbeat, but if your name isn't Terra, you're not getting a figure.

Same.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

you either die a reformist or live long enough to become a monarchist

• Options

you either die a reformist or live long enough to become a monarchist

"This should be different! We should make it different. Nobody can agree on the specific type of different! I guess I do it myself."

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

God help a fan translator who does that, people still gripe about changing honorifics to appropriate phrases.

Oh, people are very harsh on extremely well localized games like FF7R. Diatribes like that are a helpful prompt to stop listening to people like that, who whine about it.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular

That masterline figurine is glorious though.
    I assume it will never leave be sold outside Japan, and even if it was, I still can't justify 4 grand for a plastic figurine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDzSkcbAM7A

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    a lot of FF1's monsters are also pretty much straight out of the monster manual too

Straight up mind flayers in the first game. Lucky those got in when they could. That could get ya sued these days.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Dibbit wrote: »

I assume it will never leave be sold outside Japan, and even if it was, I still can't justify 4 grand for a plastic figurine.

Oh yeah, it is VERY good. Also, the WoFF Magitek Armor figure is very good (and much more affordable!) and is the FFVI inspired design.
    e291d3a09c6d839e4d83b510a8d7f2fe_KR_350.jpg

Cruor on
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular

Oh yeah, it is VERY good. Also, the WoFF Magitek Armor figure is very good (and much more affordable!) and is the FFVI inspired design.
    e291d3a09c6d839e4d83b510a8d7f2fe_KR_350.jpg

Ooh, that is adorable. I kind of want it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Speaking of, it's February now. Where's my pixel remaster?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Speaking of, it's February now. Where's my pixel remaster?

Everytime I see new posts here I check in hopes of it being about the remaster finally releasing.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy (8) Status: We in crank theory territory folks.
    YEP.... Squall gets mortally wounded and just wakes up without a wound... very reasonable.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I almost had Ramza in my cart too but I'm pretty sure my wife would leave me at that point.

But ramza and agrias never will.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    YEP.... Squall gets mortally wounded and just wakes up without a wound... very reasonable.
    That part of the game, even now, just feels so weird. Like, it's never really satisfactorily explained imo

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    That part of the game, even now, just feels so weird. Like, it's never really satisfactorily explained imo

I'm not really understanding what's left out to explain?
    A bunch of assassins jump the Sorceress and almost kill her twice. She's also the Sorceress and foils the attempt by icing the leader of the group, and the rest are captured. None of the group have ID or anything and the Sorceress is definitely the petty, vengeful type, so she wants to know who sent them all plus throw in loads of torture for fun. The ice spike only caught Squall high and to the side; even without magic, he probably would've survived that. And with magic, they heal him up completely in hours or days instead of months.

So off to their version of a supermax prison everybody goes. Standard hero treatment by the villain.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    kime wrote: »

I'm not really understanding what's left out to explain?
    A bunch of assassins jump the Sorceress and almost kill her twice. She's also the Sorceress and foils the attempt by icing the leader of the group, and the rest are captured. None of the group have ID or anything and the Sorceress is definitely the petty, vengeful type, so she wants to know who sent them all plus throw in loads of torture for fun. The ice spike only caught Squall high and to the side; even without magic, he probably would've survived that. And with magic, they heal him up completely in hours or days instead of months.

So off to their version of a supermax prison everybody goes. Standard hero treatment by the villain.
    I mean the moment is supposed to be dramatic. You aren't supposed to be thinking "eh that's a flesh wound, he's fine." I think your interpretation here is a bit off.

Squall himself was surprised afterward that he was fine and wasn't hurt, so even after the fact the narrative is telling us this is abnormal.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Well yeah, he expects to be dead for failing his mission. Instead, he's alive enough to question why he isn't dead. And then they torture him for info to pretty directly answer the whole "why am I still alive?" question.

I seriously am not getting what the gap is even supposed to be here. It's just a pretty standard use of misdirection in the story, the same as how FF7 gets us all hyped to go after the second reactor just after we're starting to get used to the characters we've seen and then the game drops the floor out from under us. In both cases, the shift in location reflects a total and dramatic shift in the story as well as the original objectives are no longer a concern.

Personally, I have no interest in a slog of cutscenes showing the team getting processed into a prison and a long, detailed explanation from people in charge for why they're getting sent there. I don't need it explained why somebody isn't hurt anymore, the setting has literal healing magic.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's pretty clear they're going for a standard pulpy style cliffhanger type vibe with the end of disc 1. "Squall is impaled through the chest with a giant ice shard! Is he dead?! Dun dun duuuuuun!"

And then... oh, no he's completely fine and no worse for wear. Uh... okay? Bit of an emotional cheat there. Perhaps more so if you consider that disk 1 end is not all that far removed from VII's now famous disc 1 end. Imagine if they did that, started disc 2 with "Yeah they're fine, it was just a flesh wound.".

Or to put it all another way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br5umHOm3TM

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Well yeah, he expects to be dead for failing his mission. Instead, he's alive enough to question why he isn't dead. And then they torture him for info to pretty directly answer the whole "why am I still alive?" question.

I seriously am not getting what the gap is even supposed to be here. It's just a pretty standard use of misdirection in the story, the same as how FF7 gets us all hyped to go after the second reactor just after we're starting to get used to the characters we've seen and then the game drops the floor out from under us. In both cases, the shift in location reflects a total and dramatic shift in the story as well as the original objectives are no longer a concern.

Personally, I have no interest in a slog of cutscenes showing the team getting processed into a prison and a long, detailed explanation from people in charge for why they're getting sent there. I don't need it explained why somebody isn't hurt anymore, the setting has literal healing magic.

the gap is pretty clear to me...
    Squall was grievously wounded in a cutscene but has no wound (which he remarks on upon waking up). There is a ludonarrtive break between cutscene actions, which leave a mark/can be permanent and those in gameplay, which have no narrative weight (ie the scar Squall gets in the opening cutscene vs the scars he does NOT get from the Seifer boss fight)

Squall himself is confused that he's alive not because he did an assassination attempt twice, but because he was, in his mind, mortally wounded in it. He specifically points out he doesn't have a wound. I'm gonna keep an eye out to see if that gets explained at any point but i don't think it will. I get that they wanted to torture Squall and the gang. I don't get how they healed up Squall if he himself was surprised he could be healed.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wonder how many of the FMVs were finalised early on, and changes were made to fit them?
    I remember a demo that had the Dollet mission FMVs with them all in their civilian outfits, so obviously they went back and redid them at some point. Back then that feels like a significant cost, those cutscenes weren't at all fast or cheap to do back then.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    McMoogle wrote: »

This is the best point I've ever read. Where were you 18 hours ago!?

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the FMVs were finalised early on, and changes were made to fit them?
    I remember a demo that had the Dollet mission FMVs with them all in their civilian outfits, so obviously they went back and redid them at some point. Back then that feels like a significant cost, those cutscenes weren't at all fast or cheap to do back then.

drag and drop Garden_Uniform.jpg onto DolletMission.rm and boom, the computer does it for you.

• Options
    I just took it as "magic damage". Nobody who ever gets hit by a fireball ever has any burn marks, nobody impaled by ice shards ever has gaping wounds or frostbite, nobody entombed in granite ever has broken bones.

HP isn't your physical status, it's your ability to fight. That's probably as far as you can logically take the concept before it completely falls apart.

• Options
    Or, in the words of Uncle:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qLC_ptImo

They've got magic to do the damage, they've got magic to undo the damage. I mean, I can summon a sentient, spectral steam engine from the nether to smash into my enemies, complete with placing crossing guards for safety. A magic injury being healed by other magic is about as non-fantastic as it gets for the setting.

• Options
    Sure. But despite that, often cutscene-logic works differently. It's not actually super strange to think the sequence of events there was a little weird. The game basically wants us to question it, it's only after-the-fact that you should go "well it's all magic anyways so that makes sense."

Steam profile
  • Options
    Eh. The game wants us to go "what the hell?" because things go so badly off the rails, then let us figure things out as the next part of the story unfolds.

He isn't asking himself "why am I not hurt?" because he's trying to understand mechanically how the injury went away, he is definitely questioning why they bothered to heal him completely on top of not killing him outright when their target was a pretty murder-positive individual. He's telling the player that shit went sideways, through the safety railing, over the cliff, into the rocks, exploded, and now he's gotta figure out how he's going to explain things to the insurance company when he doesn't even really know the details.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I feel like the FF8 question is not why Squall was wounded, logistically, but why he was narratively. Like, what would have changed if he and the others were just shown as captured? If the wound was important to the plot, they could show Squall healed but with a noticeable scar, and maybe he could clutch his chest in pain whenever Ultimecia shows up or something.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »

This is the best point I've ever read. Where were you 18 hours ago!?

Divorce proceedings.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.