As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mystery Sex Liquid [chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I was just thinking the other day how I've kinda flipped on my 'no kitchen gadget' stance that I probably learned from like Alton Brown

I feel like "gadget" always meant one-use gimmicks that substitute something you can easily do on your own, like a machine specifically to boil eggs or whatever. None of the items listed seem like "gadgets", just generally useful cookware.

oh hmm maybe that's true

maybe not a lot of gadgets exist then, outside of novelty items

even if it has a single use though (an ice cream maker!) and you only use it for that one thing, it's still nice to have if you like to do that thing

I know a lot of people really like their rice makers, for example

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Is that tig notaro?

Tig Notaro becoming a gizzled middle age action star is not something I had on my bingo card but I am here for it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    This is the worst 2 hour training.

Correct answer to social media, "Big brother and monitor who your family talks and where they go on the internet. You are the panopticon of your home."

Also the rather systemic racist bit of only living in a place with a "strong neighborhood watch."

Do they have the people talking to you in in the training, with the terrible voice actors?
    Wait a minute, Bob has been working late, and Bob was in our bosses office by himself, and Bob did have 30 stamps in his passport, I lost 20 bucks on that bet. Maybe I should check with our FSO.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Oh oh also there is the "choose your seat in a plane based around plane jackings."

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Oh, talking of sea water and nucular powah, did you guys hear that Fukushima PP is going to be releasing the contaminated water they've been storing into the ocean?

At long last, Godzilla!

The headline here is a bit more sensational than the reality; they're planning to dilute it massively and then slowly release it over 30 years.

I'm not sure of a better solution, really. Just keep it forever?

The solution to pollution is dilution.

• Options
    zepherin wrote: »

Correct answer to social media, "Big brother and monitor who your family talks and where they go on the internet. You are the panopticon of your home."

Also the rather systemic racist bit of only living in a place with a "strong neighborhood watch."

Do they have the people talking to you in in the training, with the terrible voice actors?
    Wait a minute, Bob has been working late, and Bob was in our bosses office by himself, and Bob did have 30 stamps in his passport, I lost 20 bucks on that bet. Maybe I should check with our FSO.

Not the yearly insider threat this is anti-terrorism training.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We should increase use of nuclear fission simply so that we can ensure a future where we have to construct more waste sites that will one day become heavy metal album covers
    Consider a wanderer 10,000 years in the future discovering a strange construction of granite thorns in the New Mexico desert, their points weathered by centuries, their shadows stretching at sinister angles. The wailing figure from Edvard Munch’s painting “The Scream,” itself long ago turned to dust, appears on sporadic signs near these totems. It’s unclear for what this site was intended, or who created its menacing forms. On a wall, in several languages, maybe one of which the wanderer can decipher, are these words:

This place is not a place of honor.
    No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.
    Nothing valued is here.
    This place is a message and part of a system of messages.
    Pay attention to it!
    Sending this message was important to us.
    We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

You left out the best part, where they're vaguely cautioning about an invisible danger that will kill you if you disturb the mystery tomb.
    What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Oh, talking of sea water and nucular powah, did you guys hear that Fukushima PP is going to be releasing the contaminated water they've been storing into the ocean?

At long last, Godzilla!

The headline here is a bit more sensational than the reality; they're planning to dilute it massively and then slowly release it over 30 years.

I'm not sure of a better solution, really. Just keep it forever?

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Unless we're talking about DDT, in which this is categorically not the case.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    My roommate took her instant pot with her and I realized I hadn’t pressure cooked anything- or see the slow cooker function- in many months. I just use a big enameled Dutch oven for my slow cooking now. I feel no pressing need to get another gadget

not related to your instant pot question (I don't use mine very often but like it when I do use it), I was just thinking the other day how I've kinda flipped on my 'no kitchen gadget' stance that I probably learned from like Alton Brown

over the past couple of days I used a food processor to make a tart crust, a kitchen scale to weigh ingredients, rice to blind bake the crust (and then ordered some pie weights so that I'd have something directly for that purpose instead), an instant thermometer to check the temp of some egg whites, a stand mixer to whip egg whites, a wooden juicer to juice some citrus, a blender to make a sauce for dinner, a masher to make refried beans

that's a lot of gadgets! and I was pleased to have each one!

I think the "no gadgets" rule is generally misunderstood. I hate kitchen gadgets but I have everything you just mentioned and consider them all essential.

It's always been about eliminating "unitaskers" that do the same or a worse job than another common tool. Like, those slap chop things, or egg slicers. Like strawberry hullers or plastic clamshells that slice a banana. Like that appliance that cooks eggs logs or a hand held egg cracker.

Of all the things you mentioned the juicer is the only sort of unitasker and it does a job very well that is torturous without it.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Oh oh also there is the "choose your seat in a plane based around plane jackings."

Well, now I'm curious. How does that work?
    Like, is there a specific seat that disengages from the rest of the plane during a plane jacking allowing it's sole occupant to arrive safely?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    ice cream makers definitely fall into the juicer category of being only good for one thing but there's no other good way to do that thing. You either own an ice cream maker or you don't make ice cream at home.

• Options
    My roommate took her instant pot with her and I realized I hadn’t pressure cooked anything- or see the slow cooker function- in many months. I just use a big enameled Dutch oven for my slow cooking now. I feel no pressing need to get another gadget

not related to your instant pot question (I don't use mine very often but like it when I do use it), I was just thinking the other day how I've kinda flipped on my 'no kitchen gadget' stance that I probably learned from like Alton Brown

over the past couple of days I used a food processor to make a tart crust, a kitchen scale to weigh ingredients, rice to blind bake the crust (and then ordered some pie weights so that I'd have something directly for that purpose instead), an instant thermometer to check the temp of some egg whites, a stand mixer to whip egg whites, a wooden juicer to juice some citrus, a blender to make a sauce for dinner, a masher to make refried beans

I think the "no gadgets" rule is generally misunderstood. I hate kitchen gadgets but I have everything you just mentioned and consider them all essential.

It's always been about eliminating "unitaskers" that do the same or a worse job than another common tool. Like, those slap chop things, or egg slicers. Like strawberry hullers or plastic clamshells that slice a banana. Like that appliance that cooks eggs logs or a hand held egg cracker.

Of all the things you mentioned the juicer is the only sort of unitasker and it does a job very well that is torturous without it.

I bought a juicer attachment for my stand mixer, so it's an attachment instead of a standalone gadget and therefore doesn't count.

I like to ART
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Like, is there a specific seat that disengages from the rest of the plane during a plane jacking allowing it's sole occupant to arrive safely?

Window seat so you are farther away from the hijackers is recommended.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    We should increase use of nuclear fission simply so that we can ensure a future where we have to construct more waste sites that will one day become heavy metal album covers
    Consider a wanderer 10,000 years in the future discovering a strange construction of granite thorns in the New Mexico desert, their points weathered by centuries, their shadows stretching at sinister angles. The wailing figure from Edvard Munch’s painting “The Scream,” itself long ago turned to dust, appears on sporadic signs near these totems. It’s unclear for what this site was intended, or who created its menacing forms. On a wall, in several languages, maybe one of which the wanderer can decipher, are these words:

This place is not a place of honor.
    No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here.
    Nothing valued is here.
    This place is a message and part of a system of messages.
    Pay attention to it!
    Sending this message was important to us.
    We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

You left out the best part, where they're vaguely cautioning about an invisible danger that will kill you if you disturb the mystery tomb.
    What is here is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location… it increases toward a center… the center of danger is here… of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Huh, I never knew about the second part of the message but that's actually pretty good.

If you had no idea about radiation, then it's an adequately superstitious warning, and if you do then you'd pretty quickly go "oh right, let's break the geiger counters guys..."

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I have more gadgets in my kitchen than my bedroom, if you know what I mean.

edit: Wait, you guys don't know that my computer and video game consoles are set up in my bedroom. Now you know what I mean.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I was just thinking the other day how I've kinda flipped on my 'no kitchen gadget' stance that I probably learned from like Alton Brown

I feel like "gadget" always meant one-use gimmicks that substitute something you can easily do on your own, like a machine specifically to boil eggs or whatever. None of the items listed seem like "gadgets", just generally useful cookware.

oh hmm maybe that's true

maybe not a lot of gadgets exist then, outside of novelty items

even if it has a single use though (an ice cream maker!) and you only use it for that one thing, it's still nice to have if you like to do that thing

I know a lot of people really like their rice makers, for example

Rice cookers and ice cream makers save a pretty large amount of labor (or at least, attention bandwith), but there are definitely weird things like sushi rollers or slap chops or egg tubes that just make a categorically equal or worse product with no time save and a lot of wasted space.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2021

Yo that scene with the zombie knife fight is fuckin sick

Organichu on
  • Options

Oh I thought plane jacking meant something else.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

Window seat so you are farther away from the hijackers is recommended.

I’m sticking with aisle

That way when I get kidnapped by hijackers I probably had plenty of chances to go to the bathroom beforehand

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

I think thats very accurate

This is what America's asshole looks like

Yeah, this one's the least insane and most straightforward and understandable of the lot.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    We have the ice cream maker bowl attachment for the stand mixer which is technically not a unitasker but also it's so huge it basically could be a stand alone machine

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I think the funniest kitchen gadget is the meat shredding bear claws

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    ice cream makers definitely fall into the juicer category of being only good for one thing but there's no other good way to do that thing. You either own an ice cream maker or you don't make ice cream at home.

I can make pretty good ice cream with the "mix homemade whipped cream with sweetened condensed milk" method and that doesn't need an ice cream maker, but that's not a typical texture. Tastes great tho.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Pasta roller?

Annoying to deal with but doing it by hand requires being an Italian grandmother.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Is slap chop one of those items that’s actually for limited mobility people or is just a dumb gimmick item

I only know it from being a meme a hundred years ago

• Options
    I always go aisle seat because I’m a beetus and I pee, always, forever

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    okay then I remain pure in alton's sight

(did he turn out to be a maga?)

• Options
    edited April 2021

Yeah, Alton Brown was never anti-gadget, he was anti-uesless-unitasker. The man builds gadgets fairly frequently.

shryke on
  • Options
    Meanwhile we’ve all added a sous vide wand and a tub without question

• Options
    I have an old timey lever style citrus press. It is enormous but I love it so much. Juicing limes used to be a huge chore I hated and I'd lose half the juice to getting tired or the handheld thing doing an incomplete job.

Those juicers with a groved peg you twist the fruit on don't get much of the peel oil and shred up the pith, giving more bitter, less fragrant juice. So while those were easier they did a terrible job.

The big boy press is so great. It comes out about once a week and 2-3 cups up fresh lime juice gets fresh-pressed.

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

I think thats very accurate

This is what America's asshole looks like

I thought it was trump.webp.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Valheim is very meditative when playing solo. Currently have a nice sized base in the meadows right outside of the black forest, and I have found the entrance to the mountains but fkn lol nope.

Currently in troll armor I have upgraded as far as I can, a finewood bow upgraded as far as I can, and I am growing a nice garden full of carrots. I still do not melee anything scary because fuck all that - I'll axe some dwarves but trolls are still kite and pepper with fire arrows all day every day.

And I know where the elder is but that is a massive, MASSIVE journey and until I find a couple more cores so that I can make a portal I just don't have it in me, so I will keep raiding the forest and making my home more baller.

This really is scratching that early minecraft itch in the best way.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I've always thought that that eternal waste site project was kinda silly

like, didn't we try this already with the pyramids?
    those got looted almost immensely by people who definitely understood they were stealing from the tomb of a god

people always gonna be like "oh it won't be that bad and it won't happen to me anyway"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I think the funniest kitchen gadget is the meat shredding bear claws

I have those. Someone bought them for me for christmas.

They suck.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Not the yearly insider threat this is anti-terrorism training.

isn't that the training where you can test out with a pretest and only have to do training based on the questions you missed?

• Options
    I have an old timey lever style citrus press. It is enormous but I love it so much. Juicing limes used to be a huge chore I hated and I'd lose half the juice to getting tired or the handheld thing doing an incomplete job.

Those juicers with a groved peg you twist the fruit on don't get much of the peel oil and shred up the pith, giving more bitter, less fragrant juice. So while those were easier they did a terrible job.

The big boy press is so great. It comes out about once a week and 2-3 cups up fresh lime juice gets fresh-pressed.

I use one of these guys:
    chef_citrus_juicer_456x236.PNG?v=1569079179

Does the job well, fits in a drawer, makes hilarious little citrus pucks.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    Meanwhile we’ve all added a sous vide wand and a tub without question

I sous vide in ziploc bags and a stock pot! The wand is a treasured addition to the kitchen but the rest of the sous vide stuff is faff.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 1.2

@Mazzyx will create the new thread
    @Doodmann is backup

This discussion has been closed.