Options

Why do we want [Webcomics]?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not super clear on D&D rules, but could Redcloak be mind controlled into going along with things?
    He's probably got magic immunity or something, but V has done that to enemies before.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm not super clear on D&D rules, but could Redcloak be mind controlled into going along with things?
    He's probably got magic immunity or something, but V has done that to enemies before.

In theory the Dominate Person spell (or Dominate Monster if Goblins don't count but I think they do) could force him to contribute.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The Dark One would probably be very unhappy with whoever tried and could potentially use the direct connection of the mantle to take over instead. That's what happened in Redcloak's origin story.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

In theory the Dominate Person spell (or Dominate Monster if Goblins don't count but I think they do) could force him to contribute.

In 3.5 it might have worked since that gave you days of control per level. In 5e, Dominate Person only lasts a minute when cast at level 5, and up to 8 hours when cast at level 8 or 9.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

In 3.5 it might have worked since that gave you days of control per level. In 5e, Dominate Person only lasts a minute when cast at level 5, and up to 8 hours when cast at level 8 or 9.

Good thing OOTS generally use 3.5 rules.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Call me a bard if you must but I don't think using mind control to solve the problem would be narratively satisfying

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Call me a bard if you must but I don't think using mind control to solve the problem would be narratively satisfying

5c8gw3vey7c4.png

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    A bard that has qualms about mind control? Good heavens

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

look a +5 charisma modifier makes magic mind control look like a pleasant tea invitation

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2021
    The joke: like how Elan the bard is always talking about their story in a meta way, as if aware their adventures are a fictional narrative and follow the genre rules of such

Look I'm still waking up stop yelling at me

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I think that thing under the umbrella is gonna come into play soon. In the webcomic of your choice.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    At this point I assume its just a normal person who had their memory wiped and can do magic stuff.

Or they are secretly the Dark One and don't know it.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    For some reason I thought that was an entirely new arena Aspected Chaos was making. Just saw the statues that didnt look like Solomon and assumed the only statues in his arena would have been of himself.

The fact Aspected Chaos is able to do this so easily and quickly pays lie to the idea that the exploitation, violence, greed, body horror, slavery and assorted terrors of the demiurges is necessary. They have the power to change things and have had time to do so, they just choose or languish in their self made cages.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    At this point I assume its just a normal person who had their memory wiped and can do magic stuff.

Or they are secretly the Dark One and don't know it.

Given the absurd power, I assume it's somehow derived from the Snarl; a four quiddity being in a three quiddity world.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    My understanding was that way back Rich confirmed the Monster in the Darkness was a real monster from D&D and that you could figure out what it was based on what it did in-story. The most popular theory is this guy: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MitD has used a spell before when it teleported O-Chul and V out of Xykon's tower, and I remember how the forums there were going nuts trying to figure out which spell it had been. Some even suggested it had been a Wish spell.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    My understanding was that way back Rich confirmed the Monster in the Darkness was a real monster from D&D and that you could figure out what it was based on what it did in-story. The most popular theory is this guy: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm

That seems ... implausible. Mainly because I doubt the reveal of something so important would be a direct ... let's say homage of Douglas Adams. It would be like at the end, a friendly Cthulhu emerges from the darkness, but you know, not written by a super-racist.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

That seems ... implausible. Mainly because I doubt the reveal of something so important would be a direct ... let's say homage of Douglas Adams. It would be like at the end, a friendly Cthulhu emerges from the darkness, but you know, not written by a super-racist.

You're telling me it's extremely implausible Rich Burlew is being honest with his audience?

I ate an engineer
  • Options

You're telling me it's extremely implausible Rich Burlew is being honest with his audience?
    If you have a big reveal planned and someone correctly guesses it ten years before you planned to show it, it might not be best to say "Well, you got it. Nice job, do try to look surprised when it happens."

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

I don't think he's saying it's implausible that the MitD is a real D&D monster, just that he thinks that specific guess is unlikely.

• Options
    One thing Rich apparently said recently really surprised me about a long term theory.
    He said that Right-Eye's daughter, as seen-and-smuggled-beyond-Xykon's-reach in print-only Start of Darkness, is not planned to be seen again. This surprised a lot of folks as it was suspected she may have had a role in persuading Redcloak to either give up the plan or help with Thor's.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular

In the latest Tiger, Tiger, after several millennia of existence, Maldoror has finally met their match!

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    For some reason I thought that was an entirely new arena Aspected Chaos was making. Just saw the statues that didnt look like Solomon and assumed the only statues in his arena would have been of himself.

The fact Aspected Chaos is able to do this so easily and quickly pays lie to the idea that the exploitation, violence, greed, body horror, slavery and assorted terrors of the demiurges is necessary. They have the power to change things and have had time to do so, they just choose or languish in their self made cages.

I figured it was AC setting the stage to tell a story (myth? fable? parable?) to Jagganoth to illustrate the fruitlessness of his endeavor and the cost that the endeavor will incur.
    I mean, it seems that violence isn't going to solve this. May be time to try a story?

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

I figured it was AC setting the stage to tell a story (myth? fable? parable?) to Jagganoth to illustrate the fruitlessness of his endeavor and the cost that the endeavor will incur.
    I mean, it seems that violence isn't going to solve this. May be time to try a story?

Can't break his body, got to try his spirit

• Options
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Boo hiss

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

She's about to relay Zoss's ultimate piece of advice to her: "Whoever masters the Wheel cannot break it." Jagganoth's plan will not work, he'll just get everyone killed.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

I don't think he's saying it's implausible that the MitD is a real D&D monster, just that he thinks that specific guess is unlikely.

Basically, yeah. Besides the fact that Rich wouldn't use a creature created by such a geek icon without a good reason, it doesn't seem to match the monster description. We can assume MitD's relative youth for being reason why it's only Medium-sized and not as bright, not to mention its generally good nature, but it should be struggling constantly to maintain its shape. You'd think tentacles would be popping out every so often in this case.

Going over my list of high-CR monsters, I see a few possibilities. Umbral Blot, Leshay, Uvuudaum fits surprisingly well if we assume it's Far Realm, and thus Snarl, based. Anaxim are non-evil abominations and have sonic attacks, so maybe? Of course, the entire Epic-level handbook is both pretty obscure and generally regarded as "iffy' in terms of designs (especially in terms of balance, but that doesn't really matter here,) so it could be something more recognizable. Hell, I remember when "Baby Tarrasque" was in the running.

• Options
    Keep in mind it's strong enough to cause a massive earthquake when it stomped its foot/feet that one time when Belkar was forced to cook some stew for it.

This discussion has been closed.