As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Wait, the free timby is not an existing variant, it's a frankenmix? Huh!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    The free Timberwolf has the Prime left torso and the S right torso.
    I'm so confused by the whole chassis in general. The firepower is mediocre, the hit boxes are bad, the quirks are weird...
    I get it, people want it because it is iconic, but it's just so confusing.

The Champion builds were meta when they were made, which in this case was a long time ago. Back then the Timber Wolf was pretty strong, but time has placed them to more of what you said, they're iconic and mainly museum pieces now. With the new patch that might change, but we'll see.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I'm so confused by the whole chassis in general. The firepower is mediocre, the hit boxes are bad, the quirks are weird...

The Champion builds were meta when they were made, which in this case was a long time ago. Back then the Timber Wolf was pretty strong, but time has placed them to more of what you said, they're iconic and mainly museum pieces now. With the new patch that might change, but we'll see.

I kind of rebuilt it into a laser boat, but it's really just a bad version of my Hellbringer VI. The center torso energy slot is a neat trick, I guess?

I also kind of wish it had just come with all of the -C omni pods and let me build it. I already had a TBR Warrant, because I wanted the icon AND a cbill bonus.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »

Yeah, Champion Clan mechs are usually a smattering of what was hot at the time. Which means different omnipods! FUN!!!

I kind of rebuilt it into a laser boat, but it's really just a bad version of my Hellbringer VI. The center torso energy slot is a neat trick, I guess?

Yeah, I plan on leaving mine in mothballs till the patch is live and see how well the Timber Wolves are after that.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    the champion builds were decided by community vote in ancient history, in an attempt to have the rotating trial mechs not be complete useless lumps

the LPL/ERML timberwolf was one of the more dangerous things on the field for years and years, but the meta has passed it by (largely cause of laser tuning and mobility reductions)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

Yeah, Champion Clan mechs are usually a smattering of what was hot at the time. Which means different omnipods! FUN!!!

Yeah, I plan on leaving mine in mothballs till the patch is live and see how well the Timber Wolves are after that.

I also noticed after about 4 matches with it that there are jump jets, for some reason.

• Options
    Hey, if a mech can run JJs I'll have at least one, it's just so useful for when you need to turn faster with an assault, or get over a bit of terrain, or you're on Canyon or Canyon 2.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Generally 2xLPL 5xERML (swap right arm for a PRIME one) is probably the safest build.

Luckily it’s getting a major agility upgrade next Tuesday.

Hopefully they’ll be able to get quirks into the June patch (more likely July) to help the missile boxes be less of a fire magnet.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Hey, if a mech can run JJs I'll have at least one, it's just so useful for when you need to turn faster with an assault, or get over a bit of terrain, or you're on Canyon or Canyon 2.

Well. The heaviest JJs are so heavy. But anything at 85 tons or below...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    My philosophy on LRM boats is that they are, at minimum, a sort of crowd control on the battlefield. When people get the message about incoming missiles, what do they do?

They change their position.

Usually it means running them out of their current fire lane, but sometimes you can get them to slip out into another exposed space depending on a LOT of variables. Pure LRM boats, especially ones that can rain down a shitload of consistent fire (like 3 or 4 LRM pods), can get people to either panic (optimal outcome) or just get way hesitant about positioning. Thing is, that relies on your team capitalizing on this shit - which they can even without voice comms, because friendly and enemy targets have a missile icon when said missiles are closing in. LRM boats with mixed weapons can provide that field manipulation to a lesser extent, but in exchange they get more security for themselves (if not ability to have more effective damage as opposed to a ton of nonsense damage). Depends on the lasers you choose to roll with. My Mad Dog is two LRM20s and four SPLs. Either extreme close range or extreme far range, NO MIDDLE GROUND. At mid range the LRMs can actually do okay because line-of-sight missiles work a bit differently, and SPLs having the cooldown they do is deceptively powerful on a softened up target.

Edit - Like LRM20s are good and all for a damage perspective, but it might be worthwhile to have 15 or 10s if it means firing more frequently. The "incoming" message does not differentiate on what is coming your way or how much of it. If you want to try and be REALLY high brow with this shit, though I don't think it'll last long because people will catch on, you can go with a lot of LRM5s on chain fire. Eventually people will realize they can probably face tank any given individual hit. LRM15s are probably the best for this kind of strategic play because you can at least deal okay damage if someone decides to call the bluff, as it were.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Anyone have a resource on how the whole lrm/tag/narc/ecm ecosystem works? I remember it all got overhauled a while back but I'd mostly dropped the game by then and I don't know what changes have been made since.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Anyone have a resource on how the whole lrm/tag/narc/ecm ecosystem works? I remember it all got overhauled a while back but I'd mostly dropped the game by then and I don't know what changes have been made since.

No but I can summarize:

You need a lock to fire lrms. Which means you or someone else have to be looking at the target or kinda close to it. Locks stay for a bit when you loose sight but you can also grab like 100% radar deprecation in the skill tree.

Tags make you get your missile-specific lock on go faster and can break ecm if you keep it on target long enough. This helps friends too I think.

Ecm makes you unlockable unless someone gets in close, or a counter ecm turns yours off, or you get narced or taged or shot with ppcs.

Narcs make you lockable by everyone until they expire and they reset your stealth armour if you’ve got that on.

Stealth armour makes you 100% unlockable and only really gets counted by ppcs or narcs.

I guess counter-mode ecm and beagle probes also auto counter a nearby ecm if you are close enough.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I fucked something up.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    That said, when I was running my Narctic Wolf and I NARC'd someone there was a good chance I'd then immediately lose lock on them and it would take up to 5 seconds before the game went "oh wait, you NARCed them, here you go, a target!"

I switched to my 2xMRM40, 1MPL ECM Marauder for the missile damage and man, even though I don't exactly do consistently well, the mech feels fun to play. There's something about how ECM just makes me a tiny bit less of a target when there are friends around to compensate for my rusty positioning skills.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    So proportions in the mechlab are weird, huh?

sagn1937ckgv.jpg

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    RawrBear wrote: »

No but I can summarize:

You need a lock to fire lrms. Which means you or someone else have to be looking at the target or kinda close to it. Locks stay for a bit when you loose sight but you can also grab like 100% radar deprecation in the skill tree.

Tags make you get your missile-specific lock on go faster and can break ecm if you keep it on target long enough. This helps friends too I think.

Ecm makes you unlockable unless someone gets in close, or a counter ecm turns yours off, or you get narced or taged or shot with ppcs.

Narcs make you lockable by everyone until they expire and they reset your stealth armour if you’ve got that on.

Stealth armour makes you 100% unlockable and only really gets counted by ppcs or narcs.

I guess counter-mode ecm and beagle probes also auto counter a nearby ecm if you are close enough.

I’m sure someone will correct me if I fucked something up.
    Oh you bet your butt I will! :P

You don't actually need a lock to fire LRMs. You can fire them without a lock and they will travel to the location you were targeting. In that case, it's like a loosey-goosey sort of shotgun weapon. A poor man's SRM / LBX. The lock will have the missiles travel to the mech in question specifically but this has a couple of caveats. First, someone on your team (not necessarily you) must be locked on your target for the missiles to continue tracking them after launching. One targeting is lost, the missiles will simply fly to the last known location of the enemy target. Second, you having line of sight or not changes the trajectory and speed of the missiles. Indirect fire will launch the missiles upward in an arc and they will come down. Direct fire (line of sight maintained) the missiles will have a way smaller arc but also fly to the target faster. Last detail is Clan vs IS LRMs; Clan will launch all missiles in sequence, one after the other (rapidly like a machine gun); IS will launch all missiles in the pod at the exact same time.

TAG decreases missile lock time, even if something is equipped with ECM, and it can also make ECM shielded targets able to be targeted by yourself and your team if someone isn't already breaking the ECM by another way. The targeting function will break once the laser loses contact after a couple of seconds.

ECM provides targeting shielding for yourself and friendlies within a radius, I think about 100-150 meters. There's ways to counter it as described above in Rawr's post.

NARCs are goddamn infuriating to be hit by and you described them correctly. If you get hit by a NARC there's a thing on your HUD that will show in a sort-of-red font. If you get hit by one and there's LRM boats on the enemy team, you more or less have to spend the duration hiding behind good tall cover or just running your ass off from short cover to short cover to break missile tracking as much as possible.

• Options
    I see you there Betsuni, you keep away from my torsos!

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    So proportions in the mechlab are weird, huh?

sagn1937ckgv.jpg

Farced Perspective.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Champion mech builds are made by the community as the trial mechs, and were generally good for their time, but not all have aged well.

Additionally, when the Timberwolf came out, it became THE meta mech. IS mechs didn't have strong quirks at the time, and agility was tied to your engine rating so the high tonnage engine in a Timby gave it huge agility. Brawly Timberwolves around either 4mpl + 4a-srm6 or 4erml + 4ssrm were very popular. It was to the point that in Faction Play with 228, our drop decks were Timby, Timby, Timby, Cheetah.

• Options
    I see you there Betsuni, you keep away from my torsos!

Wait, I missed your torso?

Been sort of mindlessly playing today. Just grinding away at the event.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The Clan pack is now up: https://mwomercs.com/warden

Looks like it's the Bounty Hunter's Timber Wolf (with ECM, and a RT with an energy hardpoint and no jump jets), and a Dire Whale with ECM and Jump Jets.

EDIT: OMG, the bolt ons are Elemental riders.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    I vaguely remember a missile overhaul a while ago that did away with tag and narc lock time boosts in favor of something else

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    The Clan pack is now up: https://mwomercs.com/warden

Looks like it's the Bounty Hunter's Timber Wolf (with ECM, and a RT with an energy hardpoint and no jump jets), and a Dire Whale with ECM and Jump Jets.

EDIT: OMG, the bolt ons are Elemental riders.

Aw crap... That is tempting! Especially the Whale!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Reports are that the BH variant is not a hero mech. It'll eventually be a C-Bill variant. Some people are already saying the Hellbringer is dead, but I dunno, I think it still has better mounts so it's still better for peeking.

And so far there's a lot of planning nasty things with that Dire Whale, most of them involving that left torso with 3 E hardpoints.

Nobody on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It would be kind of tempting to get the ol' retro Mechwarrior 2-styled Timber Wolf cockpit item.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    It would be kind of tempting to get the ol' retro Mechwarrior 2-styled Timber Wolf cockpit item.

That, the bolt on elementals, and a 5% cbill boost hanging item?
    Question- can you equip bolt ons to any mech?
    Second question- do they ever do mech-specific hanging items?

monkeykins on
  • Options
    Question- can you equip bolt ons to any mech?
    Second question- do they ever do mech-specific hanging items?

1. Bolt ons are mech specific.
    2. Cockpit items are not mech specific.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Shame, Shame, Shame
    oc9sbycihm72.jpg

Yes, that is my unit mate in a Narc Raven. What can I say? I needed to get the missile portion done.

• Options
    I have no idea how a Supernova only manages to do 41 damage.
    41 DMG is like...half a salvo.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I once had a Supernova and a Direwolf deal an average of .5 damage between them.

Neither was AFK.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Well that certainly is a dire performance

• Options
    The Supernova was trying to be cute and rotate clockwise and the Piranha found him first.

He was also found in one spot where nearly my entire team had LOS on him.

• Options
    Well, finished the event on a good note. Locust power.

Match was hilarious. 4 face huggers left on each team. We won by a miracle.
    Locust_finished.jpg

Not my best Locust match, but it'll do.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I have no idea how a Supernova only manages to do 41 damage.
    41 DMG is like...half a salvo.
    The other night I got shot in the back on Solaris and did 16 damage total in my Raven 3L.

When I went to check the score at the end (morbid curiosity) there was someone else, who also did exactly 16 damage. In a Raven 3L.

• Options
    Man, Ravens feel so squishy, given how they're pretty big and not exceptionally fast. I think the ECM is the only thing keeping me alive most matches.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I keep saying that your 3L isn't that fast because it's a mid-range poker with 3xLL.

You CAN have a 130+kph raven easily.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    ...but then I wouldn't have 3 large lasers, Kay.

• Options
    Man, Ravens feel so squishy, given how they're pretty big and not exceptionally fast. I think the ECM is the only thing keeping me alive most matches.

Well it is all nose... Plus I swear that the legs have less armor than a Locust.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NARC raven or go home...

• Options
    MRM40 raven or go home...
    Fixed that for ya.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    You mistyped "AC/20 Raven" though