As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I was lucky enough in my latest Battletech mission to score all 3 parts of a Dragon to salvage! That's how it be when you incapacitate the pilot without blowing all the limbs off first, I guess.

How do people recommend I outfit this beast? It's the first 60 tonner I've gotten this game.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I was lucky enough in my latest Battletech mission to score all 3 parts of a Dragon to salvage! That's how it be when you incapacitate the pilot without blowing all the limbs off first, I guess.

How do people recommend I outfit this beast? It's the first 60 tonner I've gotten this game.

Basically the same as any other 55 Ton medium, because it's a 55 ton medium with lower initiative.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Orca wrote: »

Basically the same as any other 55 Ton medium, because it's a 55 ton medium with lower initiative.

Okay well... follow-up question then. :razz:

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Orca wrote: »

Okay well... follow-up question then. :razz:

:D

My advice in the OP is still good:
    * max arm armor (or 70-ish)
    * Side torsos get arm + 10-20
    * CT gets side torsos + another 20-30
    * legs get side torsos + 10-20
    * Max head, feel free to pull the rear armor down to 30-40
    * Target armor is at least 720, 760 is decent, 800 is preferred
    * 1x AC/5, UAC/2, or UAC/5
    * 1x SRM6
    * 1x Medium Laser
    * 3-5 jump jets (may consider omitting because it's a heavy which has heavier jump jets). Extra weight (if available) can go to armor or support weapons.

You can drop an AC/10 in there, but it's a lot of extra weight for not much extra damage. If you have a UAC/10, that's a lot of extra weight for some decent extra damage.

Orca on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    We here at ComStar would like to remind everyone that any rumors of us having access to military hardware passed down from Royal SLDF divisions up to and including a fleet of very active WarShips is simply fake news.

We are your friendly neighborhood telecommunications company. We do not own nor have any desire to own advanced military hardware.

We do control a very modest security detail, but this is simply to provide protection for our HPG facilities and in no way is intended for any sort of theoretical hostile takeover of sovereign nations.

We at ComStar are happy to continue to control, connect your life.
    8WbVY6S.jpg

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I didn't see this when Steiner Scout Lance came up in the past, and it's just as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01iJiiaK5Ac

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Is there any reason why most of the newer games are avoiding any Clan content like the plague? Both MW5 and Battletech are pre-invasion.

Ah yes, the oft-neglected Clan era. Of all the videogames they made, I believe you have to go all the way back to 1989's Mechwarrior to find another Battletech/Mechwarrior/MechCommander/MechAssault game that doesn't have Clans/Clantech in some fashion. Even then, Battletech's last DLC all but tells you it involves Clantech. And PGI has already suggested Clans could be part of MW5's DLC 2.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    The Dragon in particular and mechs at the bottom of their weight band in general are underwhelming in BATTLETECH. I wouldn't put it into the A Team line-up over many mediums - certainly not over most 50-55 tonners.

It does beat the starting lineup Spider though. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Honestly just run it like a fat Jenner

e: and if you have a pilot with an Init mod, prioritize putting them in the Dragon whenever possible.

Imo if you do that the Dragon is fine unti you have 2 other heavies, then I'd run those and whichever 2 heaviest mediums you have.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    If they go back and make all the mechs special snowflakes like they did the Heavy Metal mechs (and imo they should, eventually) I think the dragon should get, like, a 10% lighter engine.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    The idea of playing MWO right now is much more appealing than actually playing MWO. It's just not fun now. Matchmaking is awful, and I honestly feel I'm on the losing team 90% of the time.

I could just be super terrible at the game but still.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Is there a non-dakka, non-PPC loadout that's viable in the current meta? I'm bored of playing dakka, but I can't seem to get shit done in anything else right now, all my games for the past 2 days have been sub-5 minute stomps, so anyting lategame or damage-over-time just does nothing.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Iolo wrote: »
    The Dragon in particular and mechs at the bottom of their weight band in general are underwhelming in BATTLETECH. I wouldn't put it into the A Team line-up over many mediums - certainly not over most 50-55 tonners.

I'm far enough into the campaign that I want to start pushing 2 skull missions but the tonnage on the mechs I've earned is barely pushed to there, so even if the Dragon is underwhelming on the whole it should hold-up under the increased fire better than, say, these Panthers and Jenners I've got, is my thoughts at the moment.
    Tox wrote: »

e: and if you have a pilot with an Init mod, prioritize putting them in the Dragon whenever possible.

Imo if you do that the Dragon is fine unti you have 2 other heavies, then I'd run those and whichever 2 heaviest mediums you have.

Now, when you say "run it like a fat Jenner," you need to realize I run my Jenners with four medium lasers mounted on them...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options

I'm far enough into the campaign that I want to start pushing 2 skull missions but the tonnage on the mechs I've earned is barely pushed to there, so even if the Dragon is underwhelming on the whole it should hold-up under the increased fire better than, say, these Panthers and Jenners I've got, is my thoughts at the moment.

Oh yeah, the Dragon is a solid upgrade if you don't have a full set of 50/55 ton mechs yet.

Those early lights are pretty poor.

• Options

Now, when you say "run it like a fat Jenner," you need to realize I run my Jenners with four medium lasers mounted on them...

Max arnor, then back off your back armor to round up to the nearest ton, then as many MLs as you can, then as many SRMs as you can. Or just put 2xLL if it'll fit em. I don't have the game booted up and there's no online builders that I'm aware of so I can't like go through and just build it.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Yeah, if nothing else the Dragon is a big upgrade over lights in the campaign for surviveability and fewer missions w/ internal structure damage (and therefore less idle time in mech bay.) Your damage output might not be higher than a stock Jenner though. :)

Not the Firestarter, though. A reconfigured Firestarter remains a holy terror at that point in game. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    The Firestarter is one of the few early mechs that's viable until pretty late in the game. It's a powerful chassis.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

I honestly think a bump in initiative is a more interesting quirk, which is why my next playthrough will be with the Engine Initiative mod installed.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Oh yeah, something that isn't obvious when you're first playing the game: ALWAYS PUT ALL YOUR AMMO IN THE LEGS!!!!!!

Ammo in side torsos mean that once you take structure damage you're rolling the dice on losing your side torso and arm. Ammo in the CT means you're gambling with losing your whole mech. Ammo in the head means you're gambling with your pilot.

The legs are the least-bad place to put them, and have the benefit of being less likely to be hit than anything at torso level.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    The idea of playing MWO right now is much more appealing than actually playing MWO. It's just not fun now. Matchmaking is awful, and I honestly feel I'm on the losing team 90% of the time.

I'm waiting for the patch to drop. There's too much "take advantage of the dumb shit" going on with the current balance patch.

What the fuck was PGI smoking with last month's patch? Christ.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »

I'm waiting for the patch to drop. There's too much "take advantage of the dumb shit" going on with the current balance patch.

What the fuck was PGI smoking with last month's patch? Christ.

It’s a Chris patch, luckily I think they’ve muzzled him after Daeron and Matt had to smooth over everything and agree to do the Cauldron one.
    Glal wrote: »
    Is there a non-dakka, non-PPC loadout that's viable in the current meta? I'm bored of playing dakka, but I can't seem to get shit done in anything else right now, all my games for the past 2 days have been sub-5 minute stomps, so anyting lategame or damage-over-time just does nothing.

IS MPL mechs (Especially Vulcan, Wolfhound, K9), WVR-7K with SRMs, ATM boats

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't SRMs require you to be a bit close for comfort? Or do you just hope a brawl phase happens and your team doesn't get rolled?

• Options
    You do need to get close, but NASCAR is still a thing so unless you get polar or get matched against a comp team group you’ll get some use out of it.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oddly I've been having some success in LPLs or LRMs lately. Then again I run lights so yeah I'm terrible in anything heavier than them so 200+ damage is a good drop for me.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

I honestly think a bump in initiative is a more interesting quirk, which is why my next playthrough will be with the Engine Initiative mod installed.

I kinda feel like the Quickdraw should get that, just from the name. But this engine Init mod intrigues me

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The Engine Initiative

Since it bases initiative on speed, most 'Mechs don't see any change. Outliers for their classes like the Dragon get a bump up. Unfortunately, this does mean that everyone's favorite trash can gets a massive downgrade, probably making them unplayable. We'll see!

I'm still lining up exactly what mod set I want my next playthrough to run, but I'm this close to settling on it.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Is there any reason why most of the newer games are avoiding any Clan content like the plague? Both MW5 and Battletech are pre-invasion.

Ah yes, the oft-neglected Clan era. Of all the videogames they made, I believe you have to go all the way back to 1989's Mechwarrior to find another Battletech/Mechwarrior/MechCommander/MechAssault game that doesn't have Clans/Clantech in some fashion. Even then, Battletech's last DLC all but tells you it involves Clantech. And PGI has already suggested Clans could be part of MW5's DLC 2.

Let me put this this way, a game my PC is actually capable playing that doesn't require duct tape, a pirate download, and an emulator to play. And no, "oh, scary space tech from *somewhere*" i.e., it's Clan tech doesn't count.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Question about Battletech mods: From what I remember, there is a mod that just puts the CAB mechs and stuff in the game, and makes really no other changes to the base game...but I can't seem to remember it's name. It's not RogueTech or BattleTech Extended 3025, as those both make pretty big game play changes.

Anyone have any idea what mod I might be talking about?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CAB?

• Options
    CAB?
    A mech painted yellow and runs a fare for passengers. And by passengers I mean people getting stepped on.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    The idea was first Clan to Terra was the winner. Then the winner would take control of all of the other Clans and bring them to the IS to finish the job.

Which, if they had moved fast enough then the winner would have had access to a massive fleet of warships and could have potentially hammered down every capital and major world.

People are also forgetting that the invasion wasn't supported by all the Clans and neither were all the Clan forces involved. If I remember right, there was a lot of politicking going on with those not taking part that hamstrung the invasion forces a bit.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    CAB?

Community Asset Bundle. It's all the models and textures for all the additional mechs people have added to the game in a single download. But it doesn't include any chassisdef or mechdef files you need to actually get the mechs into the game. Those are supplied by other mods, or yourself.

The only mod I can think of off the top of my head that added mechs in a more standalone fashion was JK_Variants. As I recall, it has separate mods for adding vanilla-game variants and/or CAB mechs. I don't remember if it included Clan mechs, as that mod was focused more on mechs appropriate to the 3025 era.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    5,000 ballistic damage is the biggest hurdle for the free mech this month. That's quite a bit of damage.

• Options
    I’ve been working on it in faction, but a RFL-IIC-2 should be good for farming it.

I’ve been using a dakka DRG-5N on my alt account, when the farming is good, the farming is good.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I kind of want a Dragon. They look neat and that's what is really important.

Got the 5N. XL in it right now, I'll need to wait until an engine sale to get a Light, but the XL let me put in two SLas and no Ferro, save some cbills.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    You can get away with a standard (indeed, some people will only run it with a standard so they can deadside tank it without penalties).

It can be hard to play though, anybody who realizes how it’s built is going to try to take that arm ASAP

• Options
    Yeah, I really try to focus fire on the weapon arms of Dragons just for that reason. Although I forget which arm it is till it is shooting so I can aim for it. >_<

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    You can get away with a standard (indeed, some people will only run it with a standard so they can deadside tank it without penalties).

It can be hard to play though, anybody who realizes how it’s built is going to try to take that arm ASAP

Bigger guns would be easier to deadside, I feel, the UAC2 is just such a facetime weapon. Plus there is like 60 armor in that arm...

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »

Bigger guns would be easier to deadside, I feel, the UAC2 is just such a facetime weapon. Plus there is like 60 armor in that arm...

The trick is to abuse the “Dragon Dab” where you twist to the right, and use torso lock with unlocked arms to shoot left across your torso. That way you take more damage on your left torso with only some chip damage to the arm (unless you get flanked or the opponents a really good shot).

• Options
    edited April 2021
    monkeykins wrote: »

The trick is to abuse the “Dragon Dab” where you twist to the right, and use torso lock with unlocked arms to shoot left across your torso. That way you take more damage on your left torso with only some chip damage to the arm (unless you get flanked or the opponents a really good shot).

I have read about this before. May you please make a video of it since I have always wondered how it looks while piloting it?

Edit: Grammar

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png