As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I totally forgot you could hover over the %.
    Also, my XL mech is the Night Hawk 2Q, 35 tons.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Man, Extended is some bullshit. Every enemy I face seems to move their Mediums in phase 5, because they have a half dozen initiative boosting lights paired with 4+ Mediums or Heavies. I just had a mission where three of my mechs were totally stripped of armor before they even got to shoot, because of the 8 enemy mechs that got to move before me. Oh, and it doesn't help either that there are 2 or 3 "scout" mechs every mission that increase hit difficulty until you shoot them, so I've yet to see a hit chance over 75%...

It is fairly ridiculous, you have to spread fire at the start (even super low% chance shots) just to take a swing at everything in order to reset the initiative. So until then you have to play super conservative and hang back/max evasion. One of the few things I dislike on BEX.

These are why I don't like most of the rebalance mods.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Man, Extended is some bullshit. Every enemy I face seems to move their Mediums in phase 5, because they have a half dozen initiative boosting lights paired with 4+ Mediums or Heavies. I just had a mission where three of my mechs were totally stripped of armor before they even got to shoot, because of the 8 enemy mechs that got to move before me. Oh, and it doesn't help either that there are 2 or 3 "scout" mechs every mission that increase hit difficulty until you shoot them, so I've yet to see a hit chance over 75%...

It is fairly ridiculous, you have to spread fire at the start (even super low% chance shots) just to take a swing at everything in order to reset the initiative. So until then you have to play super conservative and hang back/max evasion. One of the few things I dislike on BEX.

These are why I don't like most of the rebalance mods.

There's so much else good in it I'm willing to overlook it. But yeah, super over-done, esp. considering the tonnage those modules use up. I mean I'd have it on every mech too if i could!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Honestly I am just getting sick of fighting 8+ enemy mechs every single match. And the fire spread makes it impossible to destroy a light mech in one round with 4 mediums shooting at it

• Options
    edited November 2022
    I just spent 3 round with 8 mechs shooting at a single enemy Archer to try and destroy it. My 4 mechs were all 55-65T, the friendly lance had two Fleas, Hunchback, and Vulcan. Even with at least one called shot per round it would not go down thanks to the new spread mechanic. Also, it seems every enemy comes with Bulwark so none of my weapons do any damage.

monkeykins on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I just spent 3 round with 8 mechs shooting at a single enemy Archer to try and destroy it. My 4 mechs were all 55-65T, the friendly lance had two Fleas, Hunchback, and Vulcan. Even with at least one called shot per round it would not go down thanks to the new spread mechanic. Also, it seems every enemy comes with Bulwark so none of my weapons do any damage.

Frankly, all of this sounds more and more miserable, and I'd have ejected from the game at the second or third taste of that kind of bullshit.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    Frankly, all of this sounds more and more miserable, and I'd have ejected from the game at the second or third taste of that kind of bullshit.

I'm strongly considering giving up, but I really want to see the Clan stuff.

• Options
    I definitely do not have the bulwark issues you're describing in my BEX run now - are you in simulation mode? I think it makes things extra absurd. you can lower difficulty and still get clans.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    I definitely do not have the bulwark issues you're describing in my BEX run now - are you in simulation mode? I think it makes things extra absurd. you can lower difficulty and still get clans.

As soon as I mention that, I stop encountering enemy mechs with Bulwark. Odd.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    New MWO patch, not much in the way of balance updates (due to the end of comp)

A bunch of map updates though

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Anytime a dev blocks a sniping sightline an angel gets their wings....

• Options
    Apparently the new map guy has been playing, he’ll drop into streamer chats and they’ll take him in groups for a few games

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Apparently the new map guy has been playing, he’ll drop into streamer chats and they’ll take him in groups for a few games

No better way to get up to speed quick than to eat your own dogfood!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Battletech Extended Mod:
    I feel like I have hit a hard wall at the 2.5-3 skull level. Anything below that and I don't see and heavy mechs, just swarms of lights. Anything at that 2.5 level and I end up getting hit by freight trucks of RNG-BS. This time is was three rounds of sandpapering a Griffin with all 4 of my mechs, getting constant misses and removing every point of armor before removing a single component, while the Dervish and Wasp or something just removed my arms and torsos at will. I almost threw my mouse at the wall when I managed 9 total damage from a melee with 2 sLas & 2 MG. Everything else missed. I probably just need to jump to a totally new part of the map.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Battletech Extended Mod:
    I feel like I have hit a hard wall at the 2.5-3 skull level. Anything below that and I don't see and heavy mechs, just swarms of lights. Anything at that 2.5 level and I end up getting hit by freight trucks of RNG-BS. This time is was three rounds of sandpapering a Griffin with all 4 of my mechs, getting constant misses and removing every point of armor before removing a single component, while the Dervish and Wasp or something just removed my arms and torsos at will. I almost threw my mouse at the wall when I managed 9 total damage from a melee with 2 sLas & 2 MG. Everything else missed. I probably just need to jump to a totally new part of the map.

Or…ditch BEX? There’s a reason I didn’t install that mech and it a because too many of the rebalance things it’s doing just didn’t sound fun to me. Give me the new mechs and stuff, but the basic game is more fun.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I wish MWO gave you some sense of how much damage you're taking. Was that laser a glancing blow from beyond max range or are they shaving armour? That RAC fire that's pissing the fuck out of me, do I actually need to worry about it or should I eat it and prioritise keeping out of LOS of their friends right around the corner?

Like, maybe a stacking number on the component that just took damage that adds up the last ~1s of damage taken or something (if you've played a Souls game, that way, as long as the damage is ongoing the number keeps adding up). As long as we're wishing for the impossible, you could even colour code the numbers to distinguish between damage types.

• Options
    To be honest, I'm kind of relishing the challenge. I just wish I could tone down the enemy damage a tad while increasing my chances to hit a tad. Probably should have taken something other than Multi-target and Sensor Lock on all my pilots...

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    I wish MWO gave you some sense of how much damage you're taking. Was that laser a glancing blow from beyond max range or are they shaving armour? That RAC fire that's pissing the fuck out of me, do I actually need to worry about it or should I eat it and prioritise keeping out of LOS of their friends right around the corner?

Like, maybe a stacking number on the component that just took damage that adds up the last ~1s of damage taken or something (if you've played a Souls game, that way, as long as the damage is ongoing the number keeps adding up). As long as we're wishing for the impossible, you could even colour code the numbers to distinguish between damage types.

I use the damage percentage in the lance section of the HUD to give me an idea. Knowing the rough maximum optimal range also helps.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    To be honest, I'm kind of relishing the challenge. I just wish I could tone down the enemy damage a tad while increasing my chances to hit a tad. Probably should have taken something other than Multi-target and Sensor Lock on all my pilots...

I'd agree. My general rule is you shouldn't bring more than 2 pilots with the same primary skill. And skills chosen need to match the role of the mech they are piloting.

For example a missile boat pilot gets Multitarget to allow it to contribute where it needs to since it doesn't even need line of sight or to take out multiple weak enemies per turn. A missileboat also synergizes with Sensor Lock for beyond visual range attacks, but because you can't attack after Sensor Lock, your missile boat pilot should not have that skill. They should take anything else that improves their role. Sensor Lock is useful on a forward scout, something that brings little damage to the table so when using the skill the missing damage output isn't as much of a hindrance, or on big slow boys that have difficulty getting into the fight so they can still contribute as they get into position. A frontline brawler mech really shouldn't have either skill as they need to be concentrating damage not spreading it around and they need to actually be shooting not doing nothing for a turn. Of course the other consideration is the second level skills. Sensor Lock may not be useful to a pilot, but it's something you have to sacrificially take on the way to the far stronger Master Tactician skill.

I believe the Argo training pods (might be the advanced ones) give you a chance to respec once.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    All my pilots get Bulwark. Then 4 out of 5 get Multi-target and the 5th gets Sensor Lock. Sometimes I'll skip Sensor Lock since I hardly every run LRMs these days.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    All my pilots get Bulwark. Then 4 out of 5 get Multi-target and the 5th gets Sensor Lock. Sometimes I'll skip Sensor Lock since I hardly every run LRMs these days.

BEX nerfs Bulwark pretty hard.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ah. Fair enough. I haven't played with BEX.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

Sensor lock still lets you fire from beyond LOS and also removes two chevrons of evasion. You should always have at least one sensor lock in your squad

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Another problem I have is something I need to get over from my vanilla run- multi-target isn't great in BEX, because of the lower % chance but also because of the extra spread. You are less likely to core two of the three very damaged mechs you are shooting at.

• Options
    Another problem I have is something I need to get over from my vanilla run- multi-target isn't great in BEX, because of the lower % chance but also because of the extra spread. You are less likely to core two of the three very damaged mechs you are shooting at.

Hard disagree - I can use it to throw a shot at four mechs (usually misses) to remove the Lance bonus from all of them in one turn. Also let's me shoot someone with my med/ranged weapons and still lob my lrms at another target. Makes sure I can optimize my output.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Hard disagree - I can use it to throw a shot at four mechs (usually misses) to remove the Lance bonus from all of them in one turn. Also let's me shoot someone with my med/ranged weapons and still lob my lrms at another target. Makes sure I can optimize my output.

It's not great for how I was using it- targeting 2-3 badly damaged enemies. Better to just focus and secure a kill. Pulling evasion pips seems to be a ideal use.
    Speaking of LRMs, they seem to be pretty nerfed from vanilla. Stability damage overall is lower, spread is greater, accuracy is lower, and it seems like it's better to use the tonnage for something else.

monkeykins on
  • Options

It's not great for how I was using it- targeting 2-3 badly damaged enemies. Better to just focus and secure a kill. Pulling evasion pips seems to be a ideal use.
    Speaking of LRMs, they seem to be pretty nerfed from vanilla. Stability damage overall is lower, spread is greater, accuracy is lower, and it seems like it's better to use the tonnage for something else.

Ah yeah in that case definitely FF.

And while they are nerfed, repeated volleys from them (along with my various AC/UAC) still help with stab.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    So, in a bit of kismet, I found myself with A] free time, and B] no pressing hobby obligations, so I fired up a new Career in BATTLETECH. I had hoped to go full Mods on this next playthrough, but my free time wasn't super huge so I opted to just go with my current install. Anyway....

Started out in the southern reaches of the FedSuns, and lucked into a Phoenix Hawk and UAC/5 that fell off the back of a dropship (thanks, Yang!). The cannon's been collecting dust, but the P.Hawk along with my Centurion, Blackjack, and Jenners have been putting in work in the early game.

A few missions in, I lucked into a "Kill those guys, but then there's a third party" and the "those guys" were an Orion and Highlander (Brown Pants Moment #1). It took some finagling, but in the end "those guys" and the third party both ate dirt, and I walked away with parts for the two fatties. AND THEN! Luck would have it, the store on that planet had two more parts for the same Orion; I'm playing with 4-parts to salvage a whole chassis, but 3/4 parts only a handful of missions in felt like good luck.

BETTER LUCK! The next planet had the last Orion part. I'm scraping to buy things while staying afloat, but I'm managing and now a UAC/5 2xLL Orion will be joining the lance in just 10 more days....

I'm taking missions, keeping it clean while the Orion comes on line, and then take a Target Acquisition mission. Plant some beacons, kill some garrison units, great stuff. Making my way through, getting it done, I don't quite finish before reinforcements drop in. No prob, I think, it's just four vehicle blips. I jump my P.Hawk in near to get a look.....

...and a pair of SRM Carriers break cover. (Brown Pants Moment #2) They both unload on my Hawk (Brown Pants Moments #3 through...#HowManyMissiles?). Dumb planning and luck would have it the pilot has Bulwark and is in a forest, but still eats ALL THE MISSILES and hits the ground. Still functional, down two pilot hits (35 days in the med bay, baby!), and with an open CT but otherwise still in the fight. I quickly smash the vehicle lance and bug out to the nearby evac.

And somehow, that P.Hawk only needs a day of repairs.

Goddamn I love this game.

Nips on
  • Options
    I give you: convergence
    ugdpg0qgfxnp.jpg

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Arr Eye Pee

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Apologies if I missed it but I did not see it in the OP and searching wasn't finding it - Is there a good suggested list of mods to run on MW5? I have the Dropship pack (so everything but CtA)), and was going to start playing soon. I Wasn't sure whether to go vanilla first, then mods, or if there are must-have mods I should start with?

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    I don’t think there’s any “must have” mods these days, except maybe a no friendly fire one so you don’t core out lance mates who decide to body block what you’re shooting.

I’d recommend playing vanilla to see what you don’t like first, then mod from there.

Personally I use mods built around YAML (Yet Another Mech Lab) which changes the mech lab to be more like MWO and adds more mech variants and weapons. Some mods that work with this add new chassis as well.

I also use a rep mod that caps rep loss, and I think I still have the no-jump animation mod installed.

• Options
    small preview of changes coming in December:

9py3ia86jwle.png

• Options
    Holy wow that ATM buff, a friend I play with will lose his shit. <3

• Options
    I'll periodically go down the rabbit hole of Battletech art&models and this Yeoman made me lose it.
    5vlfmatnsgdk.jpg

• Options
    Seems more workable than the original, frankly

• Options
    Apparently I started my BEX campaign too early? I started in whatever the earliest year is, 3025 I think, assuming I would just farm until the clan stuff started. But one of the load screens said something about starting that early would take 100+ hours of gameplay to get that far...

• Options
    Russ Bullock on Twitter just mentioned that we are seeing more something for MW5 this week, so stay tuned!

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Apparently I started my BEX campaign too early? I started in whatever the earliest year is, 3025 I think, assuming I would just farm until the clan stuff started. But one of the load screens said something about starting that early would take 100+ hours of gameplay to get that far...

Yeah... the length of a regular career game is 1200 days and can take a very long time; you're probably going to do 200-250 contracts over that time.

From 3025 there is going to be ~9000 days before clan stuff starts showing up.

Cobalt60 on