As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

VoIP providers?

ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
With summer coming my kid is going to be home with my wife a lot while I'm at work. I'm not super worried, but there's that worry in the back of my mind that something may happen and my kid may need to call for help, so I'm looking at getting a landline phone. But I also can't spend a fortune on it. Buying the phone is easy, but I'm not sure what to do about service. I don't want to spend a fortune, the ringer is going to be off and I mostly just want to make sure my kid can easily call 911 and my in-laws in an emergency. What is a good service that I can use with a regular phone and won't break the bank?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Your ISP may have something. I think we have Ooma, and the kid being able to call was one of the main drivers for a landline. But it's IP based, so if power goes out it doesn't work. Kid has a cell phone now, so we dont really need the landline (which I may cancel now).
    Edit: You could also see if you could get a cheapo prepaid cell for 911/whatever.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl