As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Love [CHAT]

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    The only real maintenance hassle with in-ground pools is the filtration system pipes breaking and leaking because the ground froze or there was a frost heave. In maryland that's not such a big concern. The rest of the maintenance is just like, chemicals which is NBD, and long term stuff you budget for and hire somebody to do, like replacing the liner every 10 years.

There's stuff to do for sure but if you like swimming and you have hot summers, it's so good. Plus like, grilling by the pool, keeping up a good tan, exercise. It's some good stuff! I think it's totally worth it if you'll use it.

I'm sure the tech has advanced some, but from my personal experience, chemicals aren't the only maintenance for non-salt water pools.

Filters don't have to break and/or leak to require maintenance - first stage baskets require consistent checking to empty out large debris - the main pumps require regular backwashing and replacement of Diatomaceous Earth.

The mechanical cleaners in the pool only do so much - you're still out there once a week, every week, manually sweeping the pool even in the winter (at which point you're wondering why you're sweeping a pool every week for 8 months of unusable time and 3-4 months of usable time), it's just a lot of maintenance for limited utility.
    zepherin wrote: »

You dodged a bullet - in-ground pools are maintenance nightmares for limited seasonal utility.

We discussed that and with some extra in-law money would have turned it into a heated solarium. Year round pool.

That'd be a p. good upgrade - that'd make it worth the effort.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    James wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    I mean,

the best game of 2016 looked like an SNES game

The best game of 2016 was Doom.

But also, Hyper Light Drifter looks much nicer than any actual SNES game.

I was talking about Stardew Valley,

a game that still has 30k people playing it on steam constantly

Dude that game convinced my wife to LITERALLY buy a farm.

Did she also court you by giving you tons of produce?

No I wanted a farm and she didn't even though we both loved Havest Moon 64 and then she played Stardew for two years straight and I convinced her to buy a farm cause I still wanted one
    Did you want a farm, or was the farm an excuse to get a compound?

I wanted a compound...
    No hate I almost purchased a compound. And the in laws would have kicked in on it. It was just too far outside the commute for us.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2810-Forge-Hill-Rd-Bel-Air-MD-21015/36948655_zpid/

Sold for $565k, I'm super jealous that you can basically get a mansion at that price. Why do I live here? AhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH

My best friend just bought for about ~$400K a giant parcel of land in upstate new york with 2 houses (one has like 4 BR, the other maybe 2-3), a stable, and a pond.
    Meanwhile I'm hoping that maybe I could find a 2BR condo in a neighborhood I like in DC for $600K but I think it's gonna be more like $800K.
    ;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    My experience with fresh water outdoor pool was as DK describes

sig.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    HOT TAKE: i like animals and human evolution is dumb cause it makes me want to eat them
    achieve enlightenment and reject your base impulses

he says, desperately wanting to order and eat an entire large pizza - ingly

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    owning property is fucking expensive

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    There’s no shame in paying a premium on living where and how you want

For half my rent check, I could afford a modest country house in a state that wants to murder me

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I mean,

No I wanted a farm and she didn't even though we both loved Havest Moon 64 and then she played Stardew for two years straight and I convinced her to buy a farm cause I still wanted one

I wanted a compound...
    No hate I almost purchased a compound. And the in laws would have kicked in on it. It was just too far outside the commute for us.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2810-Forge-Hill-Rd-Bel-Air-MD-21015/36948655_zpid/

Sold for $565k, I'm super jealous that you can basically get a mansion at that price. Why do I live here? AhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH

It would have been a bitch of a commute. 90 minutes each way.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    I can't believe that house and land is 565k

Even here, where property is cheap, I'd imagine that to be $750 - 1M

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    I mean,

I wanted a compound...

My best friend just bought for about ~$400K a giant parcel of land in upstate new york with 2 houses (one has like 4 BR, the other maybe 2-3), a stable, and a pond.
    Meanwhile I'm hoping that maybe I could find a 2BR condo in a neighborhood I like in DC for $600K but I think it's gonna be more like $800K.
    ;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;
    Eastern Market?

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    So we know what an infant Yoda looks like.

orze86ci0ke1.jpeg

And we know what a geriatric Yoda looks like.

fbvws9t0ewnf.jpeg

But what about an adult Yoda? Despite our efforts we still have no solid evidence, but I do have an intriguing theory:

dwtthtnrv6fq.jpeg

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

For half my rent check, I could afford a modest country house in a state that wants to murder me

Yeah I just have to tell myself, I can walk to the coffee shop, and she can't walk to the coffee shop.

...but she could hire a barista and make a coffee shop in the second fucking house on the giant property ;_;

I wouldn't want to take care of a big piece of land or anything; it's just sort of depressing that I can't live in a modest apartment where I want to for a reasonable amount of money. But I also took an high-paying job so I could go ahead and spend the unreasonable amount (I mean on a downpayment, instead of the unreasonable amount I set on fire every month for rent) when the time comes, so ok.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I mean,

I wanted a compound...

;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;
    Eastern Market?

I think I still want to live in Shaw, probably closer to my old apartment (near Howard University) than my new one (near Logan Circle). I haven't looked at the pricing much yet because I know it's a seller's market, and my current rental is lovely, so I'm not really inclined to move.

credeiki on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I can't watch consumer reviews anymore unless they are overwritten and overperformed by a charming British nerd and cut to funny skits every minute or so

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

Oh absolutely! I wasn't thinking otherwise

There's at least a dozen other states that I'd have the same amount of land I have now if I could afford to have it there instead of here.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Going to be more and more of those, if Dems all consolidate in fewer and fewer places

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

Yeah I just have to tell myself, I can walk to the coffee shop, and she can't walk to the coffee shop.

...but she could hire a barista and make a coffee shop in the second fucking house on the giant property ;_;

I wouldn't want to take care of a big piece of land or anything; it's just sort of depressing that I can't live in a modest apartment where I want to for a reasonable amount of money. But I also took an high-paying job so I could go ahead and spend the unreasonable amount (I mean on a downpayment, instead of the unreasonable amount I set on fire every month for rent) when the time comes, so ok.

You could always join us on the Maryland side of the fence.

• Options
    I mean,

I wanted a compound...

;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;
    Eastern Market?

I think I still want to live in Shaw, probably closer to my old apartment (near Howard University) than my new one (near Logan Circle). I haven't looked at the pricing much yet because I know it's a seller's market, and my current rental is lovely, so I'm not really inclined to move.
    *whistles* yeah that’s a fun area but so expensive.

• Options

Ah no, the whole point of my adult life is to live in a walkable city; it gives me a lot of pleasure. I could potentially be convinced to move to a different walkable city, but this one has a lot of friends nearby and also my job and likely future jobs involving govt contracting.

Somewhere like bethesda or arlington or even clarendon has walkable parts but it doesn't at all have the same feel to me; I know I wouldn't like it.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    okay you can chop the tree and it breaks into logs and then you can hit E and the logs disappear, which is step one toward getting them into your inventory. there is an Item class that has a flag to determine if you can hit E to disappear it

there is an inventory window that opens with inventory slots based on an array, you can open and close it with tab, and it has a header that says "Inventory" and a button you can click to close it

the close button works about one out of every ten clicks

we are making progress my droogs

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I've heard there might be places in between Seattle and hillbilly murder town.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options

Ah no, the whole point of my adult life is to live in a walkable city; it gives me a lot of pleasure. I could potentially be convinced to move to a different walkable city, but this one has a lot of friends nearby and also my job and likely future jobs involving govt contracting.

Somewhere like bethesda or arlington or even clarendon has walkable parts but it doesn't at all have the same feel to me; I know I wouldn't like it.

Honestly if I hadn’t met my wife I’d probably have gotten a condo in Rosslyn.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    What we do know of yoda is that he (1) lives in a swamp, (2) is a total fucking troll to Luke when he meets him

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Living in a walkable city feels like one of those unobtainable dreams to me due to the expense. It seems like it'd be easy enough to find a job that pays enough to live in the city, but just barely, so there wouldn't be anything else left at the end of the month to save for retirement.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    We were beach folk yesterday and the tide was far out enough to tickle the geoducks.

Scavenged a bigass driftwood stump im going to put in yard.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I wish I could live somewhere more walkable.

My suburb is decently bikeable, so I should probably get more into that. I could definitely bike to the grocery store or other important stores pretty easily. Trader Joe's is only probably about a mile up the road on a bike path.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options

Living in a walkable city feels like one of those unobtainable dreams to me due to the expense. It seems like it'd be easy enough to find a job that pays enough to live in the city, but just barely, so there wouldn't be anything else left at the end of the month to save for retirement.
    You could live in Baltimore. It’s walkable and not super expensive...a bit stabby though.

• Options

You could live in Baltimore. It’s walkable and not super expensive...a bit stabby though.

I'll keep that in mind. Stabby I can handle. Is Baltimore primarily a DoD industry town though? (I had my fill of SSDD, SDDs, etc)

• Options

I'll keep that in mind. Stabby I can handle. Is Baltimore primarily a DoD industry town though? (I had my fill of SSDD, SDDs, etc)
    It’s a better mix than DC, healthcare is big there with Johns Hopkins.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I just got back from a 90 minute stroll a hot shower and a quick on-foot grocery run so my only complaint is that none of these were with anyone else.

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Not worth risking it to find out

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    @JebusUD sweat lodge is rad

I bet there will be cool stuff to put it in after the update

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Also, outside of being murdered, it is hard to find a vibrant queer scene even in entirely safe midsize cities

It's just harder to be on the market in, say, Omaha--which is a perfectly lovely place!--versus Seattle, SF, NY, w/e

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The only cities I'd ever move out of Seattle for without other reasons is Quebec City or Montreal and it would have to make financial sense.

Hell my main reason to even consider other neighborhoods is having more friends in Fremont and possibly a more realistic local dating pool.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

Also, outside of being murdered, it is hard to find a vibrant queer scene even in entirely safe midsize cities

It's just harder to be on the market in, say, Omaha--which is a perfectly lovely place!--versus Seattle, SF, NY, w/e

I forget Denver doesn't count as normal fly over country.

But looking around here for a house and we aren't planning to buy for at least a year or more still is annoying. I am figuring we get about 1800 sqft with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and I would be happy. Because with that it is easy to set up the working areas for both of us. Also there is now a yard requirement for:

1)2 chickens and a coop
    2)At least one more dog
    3)A huge garden
    4)Composting.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I like fake camping, with livingeoom furniture, really amazing food, well stocked bars, amplified sound, generators, air conditioning, shower access, raves, burnable installation art, art cars, fireworks and silicon valley douchbros.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I mean,

I wanted a compound...

;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;
    ;_;

the rural compound is not worth it if it means being out in some shitty red state hellhole

the property with the cannabis farm I'm part owner of in Oklahoma came with a mansion on its 35 acres. also 2 spring fed ponds and a large outbuilding which is being used for indoor growing. Whole compound was less than 800k.

And its the greatest place to visit and all but once you leave the compound Oklahoma City is just the most depressing place ever. It's makes Spokane look vibrant and fun and not full of meth heads.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    *takes a sip of chilled rosé*

I don’t care for the out-of-doors

• Options
    You guys get to talking like this and it just absolutely bums me the fuck out

Worst common chat topic

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular

eww, gross

• Options
    You guys get to talking like this and it just absolutely bums me the fuck out

Worst common chat topic

real estate [chat]?

This discussion has been closed.