As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Breaking the sun in 2022

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Long Sword's new silkbind is stupid. Create an area where spirit gauge doesn't drain and counters are buffed. If they didn't give it any nerfs it's just going to be even more the strongest weapon with that...
    i'll wait until the balance patch comes out but yeah i haven't really seen much indication that they're gonna rock the boat

the lance showing was sad

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Long Sword's new silkbind is stupid. Create an area where spirit gauge doesn't drain and counters are buffed. If they didn't give it any nerfs it's just going to be even more the strongest weapon with that...
    i'll wait until the balance patch comes out but yeah i haven't really seen much indication that they're gonna rock the boat

I actually mained Lance for a while in Rise before I had to put it away because so much is just... flawed. I don't really like any of the silkbinds on it. The default counter is penalized for upgrading your guard skill. The alternate to it has the tiniest counter window ever (but at least it's good for dodging?). And the other one is just... lol.

Shield charge was really cool as an alternative and something I actually got good mileage out of - being able to close on a monster and then deliver a decent whack without regard for what they're doing is nice, and being able to swap it out mid-hunt for normal charge should be really handy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    i mained hammer in world and i loved it so much and the rise iteration is so bad.

i'm lucky that the switch axe benefitted a lot from changes in rise, i might have dropped the game if it hadn't. as it is, i'm planning on sticking solely to switch axe and hoping the new changes don't upset the apple cart.

i don't really care much what they do with the top weapons right now, but the bottom five or six are sorely in need of significant changes.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I keep expecting beating Magnamalo up and taking his lunch money with hijacked jobber monsters like Great Baggi to get old at some point but it never does.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I actually mained Lance for a while in Rise before I had to put it away because so much is just... flawed. I don't really like any of the silkbinds on it. The default counter is penalized for upgrading your guard skill. The alternate to it has the tiniest counter window ever (but at least it's good for dodging?). And the other one is just... lol.

Shield charge was really cool as an alternative and something I actually got good mileage out of - being able to close on a monster and then deliver a decent whack without regard for what they're doing is nice, and being able to swap it out mid-hunt for normal charge should be really handy.

I was pleasantly surprised to get that lance itch scratched by spread bow or dodgebolt bow play. The similar mindset of dodgebolt to the clutch claw counter, the rhythm of firing shots, all of it is a pretty like-for-like. Of course you don't get the satisfaction of blocking one-shots and shrugging it off, which is the only thing I'm missing from bow right now.

I'm going to give GS another shot because the skill binds look at least decent, and the capability of having access to TCS and RS is pretty tempting.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I was riding such a high after the introduction to excellent new monsters like Goss Harag and Almudron and then they have to ruin it by bringing back Jyuratodas.

Why do you keep bringing these dumb fishes back, Capcom?

Who are these imaginary people that keeps requesting them? Who?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I was riding such a high after the introduction to excellent new monsters like Goss Harag and Almudron and then they have to ruin it by bringing back Jyuratodas.

To his credit, Jyuratodas is better here than in World. He's actually not horrible to fight.

Not great mind, but not irritating.

Kushala is a ton of fun in this game.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Goss Harag's intro cinematic was actually pretty chilling.

Thats the first monster I've seen that made me think "well, thats just straight up a serial killer".

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

To his credit, Jyuratodas is better here than in World. He's actually not horrible to fight.

Not great mind, but not irritating.

Kushala is a ton of fun in this game.

Kushala is SO MUCH BETTER in Rise. World was my first MH game and Kushala was far and away the most miserable fight in the entire thing.

• Options
    Whats changed in Rise?

Haven't reached Kushala yet.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Mainly they just super turned down the wind effects and made him (her?) a lot easier to approach and engage with. You don't need to full commit to anti-wind skills like you needed to (or at least I needed to) in World.

• Options
    Mainly they just super turned down the wind effects and made him (her?) a lot easier to approach and engage with. You don't need to full commit to anti-wind skills like you needed to (or at least I needed to) in World.
    Sounds good.

Hopefully they don't screw it up in Master Rank again.

• Options
    she also doesn't sit in the air 60% of the time

• Options
    edited May 2022
    yeah that's a big part of it too. and even if she did, most classes have a silkbind skill that would make that manageable

god did I hate Kushala in World

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Kush in world was fine, easy even pre flashpod nerf.

After that and in Master rank? Yeah, Kush a bastard

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I feel like this is the case with the Raths aswell.

I appreciate it but at the same time, much easier to get air attacks off in Rise.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Ehhh... remember that Rise is only LR (for Raths) and HR (for KD and Raths). We'll see how they behave in Sunbreak. Plus the inevitable Goldie & Silver...

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Ehhh... remember that Rise is only LR (for Raths) and HR (for KD and Raths). We'll see how they behave in Sunbreak. Plus the inevitable Goldie & Silver...
    Oh, I expect fuckery, don't worry.

I don't trust them for a minute. As long as theres no clutch claw though, it should be a lot smoother experience.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I do hope the next game brings back some sort of slinger shenanigans, mainly because I miss what that gave Greatsword.

But I honestly have to assume that World 2 is deep in development and targeting a late 2023/early 2024 release at this point. The first World did such insane gang busters for an already very strong series

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Been playing Rise after getting the hankering, finally managed to kill the very angry monkey with the charge blade.
    never again..

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Botznoy wrote: »
    Been playing Rise after getting the hankering, finally managed to kill the very angry monkey with the charge blade.
    never again..
    Don't you want to farm the armor thats going to be completely useless in a month?

Only bad part of finally entering high rank, always feels likes there no point to crafting anything but weapons and accessories with the expansion right around the corner.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    never again..
    Don't you want to farm the armor thats going to be completely useless in a month?

Only bad part of finally entering high rank, always feels likes there no point to crafting anything but weapons and accessories with the expansion right around the corner.

I'm doing a lot of gathering and hunting for certain items, like pale extract. Those are always good

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    never again..

I'm doing a lot of gathering and hunting for certain items, like pale extract. Those are always good

something something too much beating khezu until you get pale extract, blindness, etc

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Really hope the gathering hub in Sunbreak is more open air.

The one in Rise is way too claustrophic.

• Options
    Also I think I’m going back to GS. That counter looks tasty and the new speedy combo is great

Now to learn GS on KBAM.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I always did runs for Kamura Points when there was an upsurge. Rondine rotates in items like Pale Extract and Dash Juice so I always just bought them from her.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I mean, you can go -anywhere- in the village while online though

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I finally powered through apex emergency mitzu solo.

Hot damn thats a ridiculous fight

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Naphtali wrote: »

You pretty much have to spend a good amount of time there due to HR quests only being acceptable in the hub. If I'm going to be funneled in there anyway, would like it not to feel so cramped.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular

You pretty much have to spend a good amount of time there due to HR quests only being acceptable in the hub. If I'm going to be funneled in there anyway, would like it not to feel so cramped.

Along with the workshop being behind STAIRS

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Along with the workshop being behind STAIRS

Quick travel in Rise is so fast and convenient that never really bugged me.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    An open-air gathering hub like in Generations Ultimate could be nice.

• Options
    Looks like Reggie and Shogun had to learn new tricks.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    That sounds less intense than how bleeding status used to work.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »

Yeah it sounds more like a blast variant. Instead of the poison/fireblight variant it used to be, I guess.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Is the charging mechanic for HBG worth engaging with in Rise or should I just keep using it like in World and just jam as many spread pellets as I can down a monsters throat?

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Looks like Reggie and Shogun had to learn new tricks.

This is bleed from Dark Souls

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Like, in the past, you were literally eating jerky or meat to stanch the bleeding. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    "Jesus, it hit an artery! Do you have a slim jim?"

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Is the charging mechanic for HBG worth engaging with in Rise or should I just keep using it like in World and just jam as many spread pellets as I can down a monsters throat?

don't feel you need to charge every shot, but it's nice for certain ammos on downs (like wyvernblast, or some stickies)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List