As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] - Tory MP Resigns To Spend More Time With His Bribe Money

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    The best Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister episodes are the ones where Hacker gets one over on Humphrey.

Or the one where they have to work together.

The Rhodesia Solution.

Moniker, you excel yourself!

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Jim Hacker, decisiveness in human form
    The best Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister episodes are the ones where Hacker gets one over on Humphrey.

I was lucky enough to find a few episodes on iPlayer recently and the quality of acting is just great. Hacker and Humphrey can both sell lines with just facial expressions.

Is there anywhere else you can watch it legally?

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I was lucky enough to find a few episodes on iPlayer recently and the quality of acting is just great. Hacker and Humphrey can both sell lines with just facial expressions.

Amazon Prime has it.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Francis Urquhart, 10 Downing's Street's very own Mr Clean.
    Hacker's reaction to his predecessor dying is a work of art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9NifqJyDMI

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Hacker's reaction to his predecessor dying is a work of art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9NifqJyDMI

There was a documentary about it where, evidently, as they got further on in the series they'd just leave some space in the script to let Paul Eddington improvise around lines like that because they knew he'd manage it so well.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Peter St John, ex-member of Cloud 9, and gifted psychic superhuman

So Dom has been blogging after Number 10 decided to blame all the leaks on him.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    This is basically as delicious as watching Osborne savage May. I could eat up blue on blue action all day and never get full.

Hell hath no fury like a massive ego scorned.

Casual on
  • Options
    So Boris tried to throw a spike strip under the bus?

• Options
    I don't think we know who started trying to blame Cummings for these leaks, but he did make the mistake of having a messy break up with a guy who knows where all the bodies are buried.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

Count Binface is running for London Mayor and used to be Lord Buckethead.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Cummings all over that Johnson, deary deary me

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Copyright issues?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dominic Cummings launches attack on Boris Johnson's integrity
    You know that laugh Jim Carrey has in Batman Forever when he's watching the TV? I'm having that exact feeling.
    Dominic Cummings has launched a blistering attack on his old boss Boris Johnson, questioning his "competence and integrity".

The former top adviser denied leaking text messages sent between Mr Johnson and businessman Sir James Dyson.

And he claimed Mr Johnson once had a "possibly illegal" plan for donors to pay for renovations of the Downing Street flat.

No 10 said ministers had always obeyed codes of conduct and electoral law.

In his blog, Mr Cummings also claimed Mr Johnson had considered stopping the inquiry [into the source of the leak about the second lockdown].

He wrote that he recalled a meeting between Mr Johnson and the cabinet secretary at the time, after an inquiry had been launched, at which the cabinet secretary allegedly said "all the evidence definitely leads to Henry Newman and others in that office".

At the time, Mr Newman was a special adviser at the Cabinet Office. He took up a role in Downing Street earlier this year.

Mr Cummings claims that, in a conversation he had with the PM afterwards, Boris Johnson said: "If Newman is confirmed as the leaker then I will have to fire him, and this will cause me very serious problems with Carrie [Symonds - the PM's fiancee] as they're best friends… [pause] perhaps we could get the cabinet secretary to stop the leak inquiry?"

In response to Mr Cummings' claims, a Downing Street statement said: "The prime minister has never interfered in a government leak inquiry."
    The words "Did you threaten to overrule him?" just came into my head, I have no idea why.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    PM's flat refurbishment 'came from his own pocket', says Liz Truss
    International Trade Secretary Liz Truss said "everything has been fully declared" in line with the rules.

But she did not answer repeated questions on whether a Tory Party donor initially provided the money to him.
    "We consider the matter closed."

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Copyright issues?

And what is it with Count Binface and Lord Buckethead. Exactly what are they protesting?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The government has finally come out and said "Boris paid for the renovations himself", which is potentially provable and hey they're taking a stance.

Immediately gets asked, "But did a Tory donor give him that money first?", deflect, deflect, deflect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56878223

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Copyright issues?

And what is it with Count Binface and Lord Buckethead. Exactly what are they protesting?

Nothing in particular, they're just comedy candidates/protest votes

A large part of it is the opportunity to create a situation where the serious candidates have to stand on a stage with a person in a ridiculous costume while the returning officer reads the results, which is why lord buckethead stood for parliament in Theresa May's constituency while she was prime minister

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So wait he “allegedly” used improper campaign donations to renovate an apartment that he doesn’t own? And he gets 30,000 pounds for repairs and improvements every year. That seams like a really dumb thing to do. I can think of all sorts of ways to do that renovation and have it be fine. Just takes a bit of planning.

At least in the U.S. when we misappropriate money for renovations, it’s to a house we actually own.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Also, there is some amusement to be had from the fact that UKIP candidate Peter Gammons, and far right crank Laurence Fox, are polling identically to a person with a bin on their head

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/21/laurence-fox-tied-with-count-binface-on-1-in-race-to-be-london-mayor-14450802/

japan on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Copyright issues?

The one without a title challenged his Lordship to a head-cuttin' duel and destroyed him and forced him into wearing a trash receptacle.

But I'm happy to see that the Count is dedicated to up holding a fine British tradition, in the spirit of that great 18th century figure Ivar Jest-Ye-Not-Madam Biggun (Standing In the Back Dressed Stupidly and Acting Stupid Party) who sought the MPship of Dunny-on-the-Wold.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Copyright issues?

The one without a title challenged his Lordship to a head-cuttin' dual and destroyed him and forced him into wearing a trash receptacle.

But I'm happy to see that the Count is dedicated to up holding a fine British tradition, in the spirit of that great 18th century figure Ivar Jest-Ye-Not-Madam Biggun (Standing In the Back Dressed Stupidly and Acting Stupid Party) who sought the MPship of Dunny-on-the-Wold.

Ah yes, I seem to recall his flagship policies as being the compulsory serving of asparagus at breakfast, free corsets for the under-fives and some extremist nonsense about abolishing slavery.

Oh, says here he only put that last one in for a joke.

• Options
    HerculePyroHerculePyro Lord Mayor's CroupierRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Also, there is some amusement to be had from the fact that UKIP candidate Peter Gammons, and far right crank Laurence Fox, are polling identically to a person with a bin on their head

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/21/laurence-fox-tied-with-count-binface-on-1-in-race-to-be-london-mayor-14450802/

Peter Gammons is a wonderful example of nominative determinism.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Amazon Prime has it.

It's on Britbox if you can stand getting another streaming service.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ironically it's not on prime in the UK, it's on amazon but not prime so you'd have to buy it all.

• Options
    c4badgm31b52.jpg

Real genius move picking a fight with Cummings, guys. And just before the local elections as well. 90% of comedy is timing, after all.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I realise that almost nothing sticks to him, but if there's an audio recording of this then Johnson is surely completely fucked.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I realise that almost nothing sticks to him, but if there's an audio recording of this then Johnson is surely completely fucked.

We used to say the same thing about Trump. 'Surely, this gigantic pile of shit will be the one to completely engulf and swallow him and his career!' And the only reason the orange-faced fuck isn't president anymore is because of an all-too-close election.

Never, ever underestimate the power of stupid people and those they vote for.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    They’ll just say he was exaggerating for effect cos he’s so passionate about keeping Britain’s economy and jobs running

• Options
    It just keeps coming in waves. Last night the guardian was reporting that BoJo met one of the super League managers at no 10 days before the official launch, starting rumours that he'd probably given it his blessing before the shit hit the fan.

They tried to pass it off as an unrelated random encounter but do football club managers usually wander about the corridors of no 10 for no reason? Even if there's nothing to it the lame excuses just make it look like there is.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Some people will agree with him, some won't care either way, and some will allow any awfulness so long as they think he'll conduct government in the way they want.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    c4badgm31b52.jpg

Real genius move picking a fight with Cummings, guys. And just before the local elections as well. 90% of comedy is timing, after all.

all I need now is for Boris to quote Sun Tzu but misunderstand the content of it in an ironic way.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    The key point I'm taking away is so much what he said so much as the paper's reporting on it. If the tabloids decide to go after him, that's a huge blow for him. It feels like we're moving past the 'support the PM in times of crisis' phase and on to the 'blame the PM for the crisis' one that always follows.

• Options
    Some stories are so juicy even the client press can't ignore them.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Some people will agree with him, some won't care either way, and some will allow any awfulness so long as they think he'll conduct government in the way they want.

"He didn't mean my body"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

"He didn't mean my body"

Leopards, faces, etc

• Options
    The BBC is reporting that Boris has been caught in a lie over that particular comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56890714

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Lmao oh Boris

• Options
    Not a good look

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Call me cynical, but the BBC article reads a bit like damage control. Change the quote from "No more fucking lockdowns – let the bodies pile high in their thousands" to merely "could pile high". Changing that one word from "let" to "could" removes the very obvious intent when taken out of context. Likewise they soften the context from Johnson raging against lockdowns to "a heated discussion about lockdown".

Granted, this is up against the 'quality' jouranilism of the Daily Heil, so...

• Options
    It's been intetesting across the whole world to see the rhetorical tongue twisters deployed to try and avoid announcing another lockdown. Tiers and colour codes and circuit breakers and so on. All to avoid the pretty valid conclusion that the first (and/or second) lockdown was a failure.

This discussion has been closed.