As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Game Thread] KOF 15 out now! More news about Ryu's beard in the summer.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Starbucks?!

Buy local, you wimp!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    when zappa

I feel like getting Testament makes ABA and Zappa less likely.

Though, this is perhaps operating off of logic that I don't know that Arcsys particularly cares about.

• I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    broadly speaking aba and zappa are both pretty unlikely on account of being Weirdo Characters rather than more traditionally popular characters like baiken

it's hard to say since strive has such a small roster to begin with, so there's still so many iconic characters that aren't actually in it yet

Sin and Slayer are broadly considered likely locks for the season 2 pass, but after that it's pretty uncertain

liEt3nH.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i know narratively it makes no sense but

i just want JUSTICE back

give me the big robo mecha with the big blue robo mecha dick

BahamutZEROBlackDragon480
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    justice is already playable in the game though : )

liEt3nH.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    with the big blue robo mecha dick

BahamutZEROBlackDragon480P10
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    broadly speaking aba and zappa are both pretty unlikely on account of being Weirdo Characters rather than more traditionally popular characters like baiken

it's hard to say since strive has such a small roster to begin with, so there's still so many iconic characters that aren't actually in it yet

Sin and Slayer are broadly considered likely locks for the season 2 pass, but after that it's pretty uncertain

Zappa at least has still been in the plot since Xrd and is officially "around"

Sin and Slayer for sure (though we haven't seen Slayer's model yet), Jam and Asuka still have unused battle models

I feel like the ending of the new story mode also heavily implies Dizzy but that's maybe wishful thinking on my part

• OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Dizzy and Johnny will be in eventually for sure

mysticjuicerAndy Joe
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I like that about GG's story, Zappa has been "cured" and can still show up in the plot, I don't want him to get re-haunted just to get him playable again.

Same with Venom, he's running a bakery, he's living a good life now. Leave him alone. (I haven't watched the new story chapter yet)

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Actually in the in-game biographies in Strive it mentions that Zappa still occasionally has "episodes" so they've written an opening to bring him back if they so choose

liEt3nH.png
  • EvilCakeEvilCake Richmond VARegistered User regular
    kliff for strive

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    kliff is inside goldlewis' coffin, being dead

BahamutZERO.gif
    mysticjuicer
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Bring back the Kumster

KOFXV DLC on the 17th

Yamazaki looks neat

Kevin CristBlackDragon480cj iwakura
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Max is streaming a preview right now

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    YAMAZAKI !!!!!!!!

J3qcnBP.png
    ReynoldsKevin Crist
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Yamazaki looks so damn fun.

I'll bring back the Billy/Yama/Mary 97 team.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    I'm one of those guys whose more excited to read patch notes than see new characters

liEt3nH.png
    Andy Joe
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    Since I recently played Tekken 7, and now Soulcalibur 6 was on sale, I went ahead and picked that up.

Bandai really didn't give this gave much of a budget, did they?

I haven't played a Soulcalibur in a long time, since 3 or maybe 4, whenever they came out. Things are a bit different with the meter and that rock-paper-scissors clash thing they've added. Also I have some kind of residual muscle memory from a decade ago for some of these characters, but they don't play like my muscle memory says they would (didn't Ivy use to have a way to manually switch between sword and whip styles?).

Also I guess combos aren't true combos in this game since the AI can just start blocking or counterattack me in the middle of a combo. That, or the AI has cheating recovery frames in the Libra of Soul mode I've been playing. It's really annoying when I'm about to ring them out with the third hit and then they just block it after being hit by the first two. The AI also seems to get a lot better when they're near death which makes it annoying to finish off an opponent.

Create-a-Character is nice, but it's annoying that sometimes Libra of Soul mode puts you against created characters that have customization items the player doesn't actually have access to (mostly weapons).

Also disappointed that Rock and Lizardman didn't make the playable roster. You can at least use the character creator to make facsimiles of them though (although Lizardman has to use Sword & Shield, because the player doesn't have access to the Axe & Shield moveset even though there are enemies in Libra of Soul that use it).

I do kind of feel they probably had wanted to do a Season 3 for this game, but it didn't do well enough to get it.

Geralt did have a funny comment when asked about the difference between this world and his: "There's a lot more monsters and magic in my world. It makes me think I should be charging more when I take a job."

• Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Since I recently played Tekken 7, and now Soulcalibur 6 was on sale, I went ahead and picked that up.

They really didn't. It it wasn't for Tekken 7's success and Harada's encouragement, the series would probably be dead.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Street Fighter; it is funny/frustrating that the kind of Street Fighter I play with friends is vastly different from matchmaking.

Like, all the little tricks and things I've learned about my character, and sharing mechanical tips and such with friends? None of it matters. I'm in bronze, about to tip into super bronze, and my matches fall into three categories.

a) Clear smurf accounts, or at least I'm so dominated I can't tell the difference. These are REAL rare, only seen like two or three, but it's obvious.
    b) STRONG ASS fundamentals that are a wall and I can't get through, but they're not doing anything that I couldn't do. Properly outplayed. These players are super rare as well.
    c) Aggro mashers who have like one maybe two tools that can be punished pretty easily. I win these about 50/50, as you would expect in a matchmaker environment. These are easily the most common.

One example of how these games are so different from friend play is that I have started feeling out how Juri's st.MP is supposed to be used. Because the c) players' only real action is PUSH BUTTON, I get stuffed on this so much. So, I have to drop it even though it's apparently a fantastic tool.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Rockin' ShoujoRegistered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »

KOFXV DLC on the 17th

Yamazaki looks neat

Is this the first time Rock and Geese have met in a story mode?

oK4l3R4.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 15
    Street Fighter; it is funny/frustrating that the kind of Street Fighter I play with friends is vastly different from matchmaking.

Like, all the little tricks and things I've learned about my character, and sharing mechanical tips and such with friends? None of it matters. I'm in bronze, about to tip into super bronze, and my matches fall into three categories.

a) Clear smurf accounts, or at least I'm so dominated I can't tell the difference. These are REAL rare, only seen like two or three, but it's obvious.
    b) STRONG ASS fundamentals that are a wall and I can't get through, but they're not doing anything that I couldn't do. Properly outplayed. These players are super rare as well.
    c) Aggro mashers who have like one maybe two tools that can be punished pretty easily. I win these about 50/50, as you would expect in a matchmaker environment. These are easily the most common.

One example of how these games are so different from friend play is that I have started feeling out how Juri's st.MP is supposed to be used. Because the c) players' only real action is PUSH BUTTON, I get stuffed on this so much. So, I have to drop it even though it's apparently a fantastic tool.

nobody in bronze has strong fundamentals, you're probably just being too obvious in your approach

st.MP is primarily to be used as a frame trap from which big combos start... so actually its an IDEAL button for people who mash, which means you're doing something wrong with it... in fact its 5 frame startup and +3 OB so it traps even into itself... make sure you're leading into it with a plus button so the gap is tight and they can't mash

Jasconius on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

I haven't played a Soulcalibur in a long time, since 3 or maybe 4, whenever they came out. Things are a bit different with the meter and that rock-paper-scissors clash thing they've added. Also I have some kind of residual muscle memory from a decade ago for some of these characters, but they don't play like my muscle memory says they would (didn't Ivy use to have a way to manually switch between sword and whip styles?).

Also I guess combos aren't true combos in this game since the AI can just start blocking or counterattack me in the middle of a combo. That, or the AI has cheating recovery frames in the Libra of Soul mode I've been playing. It's really annoying when I'm about to ring them out with the third hit and then they just block it after being hit by the first two. The AI also seems to get a lot better when they're near death which makes it annoying to finish off an opponent.

Create-a-Character is nice, but it's annoying that sometimes Libra of Soul mode puts you against created characters that have customization items the player doesn't actually have access to (mostly weapons).

Also disappointed that Rock and Lizardman didn't make the playable roster. You can at least use the character creator to make facsimiles of them though (although Lizardman has to use Sword & Shield, because the player doesn't have access to the Axe & Shield moveset even though there are enemies in Libra of Soul that use it).

I do kind of feel they probably had wanted to do a Season 3 for this game, but it didn't do well enough to get it.

Geralt did have a funny comment when asked about the difference between this world and his: "There's a lot more monsters and magic in my world. It makes me think I should be charging more when I take a job."

What's funny is that it actually did really well by JP fighting game standards, it went way beyond their expectations.

As for the "true combos" thing, it works just like Tekken. The items in the move lists *aren't* combos, they're "strings". Some strings in the move list are a natural combo (NC). Some only combo on counter hit, a natural counter combo (NCC), and some have a big enough gap that they don't combo on a standing opponent at all.

So what are those moves for? Some combo in certain situations, like if your opponent is launched, crumpled, etc. Some aren't meant as combos but as (risky!) optional extensions. You're basically playing chicken on that last hit. Will you play "correctly" and stop at 2 to defend, or will you go to 3 to catch them trying to take their turn?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I don't know if I'll stick with the game enough to learn all the ins and outs, probably just going to wrap up the story stuff and maybe do some Arcade runs to unlock any remaining costume bits. Coming primarily from 2D fighters (and also Dead or Alive, which I guess does combos like a 2D fighter), the combos were definitely throwing me a bit though.

On another note, I'm actually someone who usually pays attention to fighting game stories, character profiles, and can name obscure tertiary characters from the setting, but this game taught me that I don't know shit about Soulcalibur's lore and I own five of them (1-4 and 6). I know this is a reboot and all, but I didn't remember anything about Evil Seeds, Malfested, or several other things.

Also the backstory made mention that when Sophitia fought Cervantes and broke his Soul Edge, that fragments of the sword got embedded in her body. I have no idea if that happened in the original timeline, but it gets mentioned a lot here as something that happened, but then they never seem to mention what happened to the Soul Edge fragments in her body. They just say she took some time to recover from her wounds and never mention if the fragments are still in her or why they aren't corrupting her if they are.

Lastly, it occurs to me that guest characters that are part of the base roster are probably bad for games getting re-releases. Like, do you think Namco is ever going to want to re-up Ezio's license to re-release Soulcalibur V? Or go through the trouble of editing him out to re-release it? VI will probably eventually run into a similar issue with Geralt being part of the base roster and story mode in it.

At least with Soulcalibur IV, I think the Star Wars characters were all DLC and easier to omit. And with Soulcalibur II they could just use the PS2's Heihachi version since they own Heihachi.

edited May 15
    Yeah most of the SC lore is pretty faithful to the original games...with some new terms thrown in here or there.

The thing about earlier SCs was simply that not all of the story was told in game and if you wanted to know everything you usually had to read each characters really long bio they released with each game.

And yeah as far as sales go I believe they said the game did pretty well but not as well as SC4 which is still the best selling one I believe.

Personally I think it would have done a lot better if the online was actually good...but Harada was still being pigheaded about rollback back then. I'm hoping he finally changed his mind.

Dragkonias on
    i think at this point ANY game with good online by definition will do well

i dont hear many people speak highly of strive and it still has more singups than any game for CB.....

bbcf has more singups than DBFZ... to use an example of a game that isn't simply newer.... its just better to play

Dragkonias
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah most of the SC lore is pretty faithful to the original games...with some new terms thrown in here or there.

The thing about earlier SCs was simply that not all of the story was told in game and if you wanted to know everything you usually had to read each characters really long bio they released with each game.

And yeah as far as sales go I believe they said the game did pretty well but not as well as SC4 which is still the best selling one I believe.

Personally I think it would have done a lot better if the online was actually good...but Harada was still being pigheaded about rollback back then. I'm hoping he finally changed his mind.

Namco also is the worst about having the most ass backwards online systems. Like strive tried too hard to make it's lobbies be like a minigame or something, but at least they had all the features you expect. Sc6 had some of the dumbest crap with it's lobbies.

It definitely was the best systematically since 2. And a lot of movelists went back to being more like sc2 before they got all wierd for no reason from 3 on.

DragkoniasBrolo
    edited May 15
    Yeah I was surprised Melty Blood actually did a 270k with how quickly it seemed most people fell off it.

By poverty fighters standards those numbers are blockbuster status.

Dragkonias on
    im happy for melty if it did well but I bought it and my first and only session was laggy, unstable, and ended in a crash

EASY refund

Kai_San wrote: »

Namco also is the worst about having the most ass backwards online systems. Like strive tried too hard to make it's lobbies be like a minigame or something, but at least they had all the features you expect. Sc6 had some of the dumbest crap with it's lobbies.

It definitely was the best systematically since 2. And a lot of movelists went back to being more like sc2 before they got all wierd for no reason from 3 on.

Yeah I tell people all the time...SC6 is my favorite fighting game of this gen by a wide margin...

But the online is completely ass so not only can I not recommend the game in good faith I don't even play it myself much.

Hell...I play Strive more than anything not cause I think its the best. But it's enjoyable enough and the online actually works.

templewulf
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

Yeah I tell people all the time...SC6 is my favorite fighting game of this gen by a wide margin...

But the online is completely ass so not only can I not recommend the game in good faith I don't even play it myself much.

Hell...I play Strive more than anything not cause I think its the best. But it's enjoyable enough and the online actually works.

I'm in the same boat. From a pure design perspective, SC6 is a triumph. As a software package, it's bamco's typical failings.

That said, it's a lot easier to recommend when it's $8 ($13 for deluxe) https://www.humblebundle.com/store/soulcalibur-vi?hmb_source=search_bar

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    DragkoniasBlackDragon480
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Sc6 would be amazing if I still knew a ton of people irl to play with in person. Or at least if I could easily drive all over Jersey to hang out with the people here.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Sc6 is a lot of fun, but the online isn't great. And the low number playing ranked means you fight people away above you.

I actually think doa6 was a lot of fun, but the online also wasn't great, and their marketing and stuff just killed itself so it also had low numbers playing it.

3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    Steam: MajorEnfejar
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Sword Name: Claíomh
    KwoaruPeewiMunkus BeaverBlackDragon480vagrant_winds
  • PeewiPeewi I'm a cube now Registered User regular
    I can kinda get doing Scooby-Doo characters and having the first one being Shaggy, but how do you then show a second one that isn't Scooby-Doo?

Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam profile
    Nz3ekNM.png
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    edited May 16
    KoF patch notes! https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/kof-xv/img/news/patch_1.32_eng.pdf

Also there was just a little patch that fixed people losing access to DLC.

[edit] Universal changes: all crouching light kicks are nerfed to half damage and guard crush, easier to jump over projectiles, and there's now a just-frame block that builds you extra meter.

Deans on
    Still going through the notes, but wow those are a lot of serious buffs.

Gave a lot more characters 4 frame buttons too, interesting.

And damn:
    unknown.png

The evil is defeated?

• LucedesLucedes could happen to you, if you're not careful Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I can kinda get doing Scooby-Doo characters and having the first one being Shaggy, but how do you then show a second one that isn't Scooby-Doo?

...because Shaggy and Velma are both better characters? and they already have a better cartoon dog.

Munkus BeaverBlackDragon480vagrant_winds