As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Endwalker out November 23rd. Free trial up to end of first expansion.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Can always use the simple job gauges if you want to see something without all the bells and whistles.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    the changes to enochian sound like theyre toning things down a notch for BLM at least

They're by far the most disorienting job to level though. Their rotation changes more than any other going from 1-50, 50-60, 60-70 etc and they have the most instances of 'this spell is just literally useless now'

Javen on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Can always use the simple job gauges if you want to see something without all the bells and whistles.

I use simple gauge for everything just for space reasons, but for BLM it feels vital.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Javen wrote: »
    they have the most instances of 'this spell is just literally useless now'

Granted, I'm only really familiar with like 4-5 classes, but does any other job have as many just completely pointless buttons as blm?

Scathe, Blizzard 2, Fire 2, Sleep, Lucid Dreaming

Blizzard 1 only exists to fill a GCD if you get an unlucky mana tick

And half of those you can't even take off your hotbar just in case you get dumped into a low level dungeon

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    red mage also takes a lot of planning to not lose damage to movement since reprisal is iffy for damage value

summoner, on the other hand..

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I like dancer a lot, I like the efficiency of it. I don't need to know every facet of the fight, cuz I can run around dodging for my life while I'm also still outputting my same ol' damage.

I liked machinist a lot for the same reason but its big damage burst is just kinda too much rapid-fire clicking for me

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    the only other job I can think of with totally useless buttons is white mage, but they're not useful at any level so you can just ignore them completely (their sleep and their root)
    lucid dreaming can be a little tiny bit useful for BLM though, can get an extra fire 4 out of it I think? I never use it though lol
    I guess the root the physical ranged jobs get is also useless

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Knob wrote: »

Granted, I'm only really familiar with like 4-5 classes, but does any other job have as many just completely pointless buttons as blm?

And half of those you can't even take off your hotbar just in case you get dumped into a low level dungeon

WHM has it pretty bad. Cure, Medica, Cure III, Repose, and Fluid Aura. Arguably Cure II as well.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

WHM has it pretty bad. Cure, Medica, Cure III, Repose, and Fluid Aura. Arguably Cure II as well.

????????

Medica has uses, Cure 3 has a TON of uses, Cure 2 has uses, as does cure 1 (few but occasional uses).

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Dancer is the most head empty, vibes only job

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Medica has fringe uses of being an aoe heal at a higher potency than Medica 2. Cure 3 is legitimately great in a LOT of situations.

Fluid Aura and Cure…yeah those are pretty useless

• Options
    edited October 2021
    cure 2 is essential even if you don't press it that much ideally, in practice you press it a lot because your pug teammates get hit by mechanics and you don't have enough other heals for that shit
    cure 1 is more like blizzard 1 in that you almost never use it but it's not a slap in the face in the way blizzard 2 is
    medica 1 is another like cure 2 but even less often needed, but when you have already got the medica 2 HoT up and you're out of other AOE heals and they're too spread out for cure 3 and the whole raid still needs topping up NOW because they're bad, well that's your button.
    cure 3 is situational but very good when it can be used, it's good with stack up mechanics for example

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Every caster except BLM swiftcast is on a no hotkey button I just click

BLM though? that shit on shift+Q

BLM isn't that complicated but it has the most obvious and constantly looming fail state of any class.

There have been much worse ways to crap up your rotation over the years, like back when NIN could miss a trick attack positional, or screwing up your overheat window on HW/SB MCH. Or just, dying literally ever as SMN in SB.

But BLM's is always there, on the gauge, ticking away...

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    cure 2 is essential even if you don't press it that much ideally, in practice you press it a lot because your pug teammates get hit by mechanics and you don't have enough other heals for that shit
    cure 1 is more like blizzard 1 in that you almost never use it but it's not a slap in the face in the way blizzard 2 is
    medica 1 is another like cure 2 but even less often needed, but when you have already got the medica 2 HoT up and you're out of other AOE heals and they're too spread out for cure 3 and the whole raid still needs topping up NOW because they're bad, well that's your button.

if I don't have a lily up I'll just let you die instead of casting cure 2 tbh

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    pretty much no healer wants to cast their first rank heal spell, and that's unlikely to change without a pretty dramatic reworking of mana costs and regeneration

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    medica 1 should get phased out at 80. you've got rapture by then and medica 2 outpaces medica 1 after only 2 ticks. most of the gcd heals are situational at best now, even regen is fairly obsolete.

It would be nice to consolidate lilly skills with cure 2/medica 1. just have lillies make them free and instant cast rather than different yet identical skills

• Options
    edited October 2021
    they try to make the first rank heals have a niche by making them more MP efficient per potency, but that design gets undercut by the desire to go faster and the tight DPS checks in hard content that mean you want to be spending as few GCDs on heals instead of nukes as possible, so if you do spend one on a heal it better be a strong one.

If healing were balanced around MP being a more finite resource you might have a reason to use the first ranks but it's actually kind of a struggle to get your piety stat down low enough to have to worry about MP management if you're hitting lucid dreaming on cooldown and not having to revive people very much.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Dancer is the most head empty, vibes only job

WAR is more so, but you sometimes gotta worry about facing the boss directly at the ninja to add a little zest

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    'push these buttons in this order, run around like a lunatic, make huge numbers fly around'

Yeah, SAM rules.

• Options
    lucid dreaming can be a little tiny bit useful for BLM though, can get an extra fire 4 out of it I think? I never use it though lol

I don't know exactly how much extra mana lucid dreaming will generate per fire phase, but it doesn't matter since you won't have enough time left in AF for an extra F4 regardless

• Options
    lucid lasts for 21 seconds, you should already be extending astral fire with fire 1 when it's about to expire for a few more fire 4 casts, so if you hit lucid dreaming at the start of fire phase I think it should finish close to the end? don't quote me on this though, I don't actually use it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Lucid Dreaming doesn't restore any mana in fire phase.

Manafont does and you should use it to get one extra F4+Despair.

• Options
    wait it doesn't? ok then lucid is useless, I was probably thinking of manafont, another button I never press

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Manafont? You mean the extra flare button?

• Options
    yeah fire shuts off ALL mana regen

iirc when there was an ast card that restored mana it would ignore that too

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    wait it doesn't? ok then lucid is useless, I was probably thinking of manafont, another button I never press

lucid is useless in high-level content (unless you're, like, trying to quickly recover after a death/dropping enochian) and transpose is also kind of useless (except to swap to umbral ice to spam umbral soul during downtime)

well, that's mostly true

lemme tell you about transpose lines
    ytqe3e3gen80.png
    tl;dr: "hey, ice phase is kind of low potency, what if we skipped it?"

BLM hypermeme rotations are pretty niche and extremely risky, but they're a weird scary hole of alternative rotations you can fall into

I'll just stay over here greeding Fire IV, thank you very much

• Options
    I'm hearing there might be some leaks floating around from the media tour, not sure what the leaks are about but watch out for that, don't post it in here if it's plot related please.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm hearing there might be some leaks floating around from the media tour, not sure what the leaks are about but watch out for that, don't post it in here if it's plot related please.

The leaks I've seen people throwing around are for the job updates.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I don't think it's possible for the media tour to have had plot-related leaks? The media tours are usually just like, putting you in one zone without quests to let you run around and try some FATEs and use the abilities.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's all just tooltip leaks, par for the course for these kind of events really.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    If it’s like last time, the testers will have been placed into a version of the main zone that has no NPCs, quests, or info in general. Maybe some enemies, or maybe just training dummies, to try new skills on.

Basically the only source of lore info will be from the geography of the location, and the area names written on the map.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Also don't pay attention to things like potency or cost still because there are a few examples where an ability loses potency when it upgrades to its next rank, that all is clearly not done yet.

Anyway, most importantly

zo4eemuh3ggg.png

balls

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Clemency got nerfed to 1000 potency, PLD is doomed!!!!! Doooooooooomed!!!

But yeah, the exact numbers are going to be fucky and sometimes wrong.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    They're putting spell damage on PLD weapons so there spell potencies are probably gonna be all weird

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    oh good they fixed sch pets not getting malm and mend

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    PLD and GNB changes looking pretty good

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    imo

some of sage looks just as clunky as sch, but in a different way lmao

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    well sch is keeping chain stratagem and ast is losing divination so I guess sch is the rdps healer now. new ast stuff in general looks unappealing, cards are still lame and now seals just give you a chance to buff your bad dps. plus they're giving you a random chance at getting a free heal or damage, I can already see how that's going to end up

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    well sch is keeping chain stratagem and ast is losing divination so I guess sch is the rdps healer now. new ast stuff in general looks unappealing, cards are still lame and now seals just give you a chance to buff your bad dps. plus they're giving you a random chance at getting a free heal or damage, I can already see how that's going to end up

AST still has Divination, it's just no longer tied to cards. The card buff is self-only (and looks sweet.)

• Options
    am67t1ne2t0l.png

yeah it's just right there

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.