As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Another Big Sale to see out this thread!

19192949697100

Posts

  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

    Why?

    Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

    I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

    90 minute movies are vastly superior in my opinion.

    PeenZonugal
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

    Why?

    Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

    I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

    To be fair, you don't really have to spend much time setting up the characters or world for Dredd. Marvel, on the other foot, has to cram so much into every movie so that the Avengers movies (or whatever they will be going forward) don't need as much. Also, too, the ever escalating dangers need time to play out amongst CGI explosions and faceless mook battles.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

    Why?

    Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

    I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

    So, the Star Wars films have progressively longer run times:

    Episode IV: A New Hope - 121 minutes

    Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 124 minutes

    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 131 minutes

    Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 136 minutes

    Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 142 minutes

    Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 140 minutes

    Episode VII: The Force Awakens - 138 minutes

    Rogue One - 133 minutes

    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 152 minutes

    Solo - 135 minutes

    Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - 142 minutes

    It's not perfectly consistent, but it's pretty clear that the Disney movies are gradually longer (the point where the "short" ones are longer than any of the original three films). At the risk of inviting another depressing "So, who here likes Star Wars today?" conversation, if you're one of those people who...thinks everything since 2015 with Disney's tenure has been....not good, to put it kindly, it very much forms a consistent picture of "They're longer, and worse." Like me, as I especially disliked The Last Jedi. And The Force Awakens. And despite an effort to put a positive spin on it, The Rise of Skywalker. :lol:




  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

    Why?

    Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

    I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

    So, the Star Wars films have progressively longer run times:

    Episode IV: A New Hope - 121 minutes

    Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 124 minutes

    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 131 minutes

    Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 136 minutes

    Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 142 minutes

    Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 140 minutes

    Episode VII: The Force Awakens - 138 minutes

    Rogue One - 133 minutes

    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 152 minutes

    Solo - 135 minutes

    Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - 142 minutes

    It's not perfectly consistent, but it's pretty clear that the Disney movies are gradually longer (the point where the "short" ones are longer than any of the original three films). At the risk of inviting another depressing "So, who here likes Star Wars today?" conversation, if you're one of those people who...thinks everything since 2015 with Disney's tenure has been....not good, to put it kindly, it very much forms a consistent picture of "They're longer, and worse." Like me, as I especially disliked The Last Jedi. And The Force Awakens. And despite an effort to put a positive spin on it, The Rise of Skywalker. :lol:

    I think my opinion of TLJ would have been way higher if it had been closer to 2 hours instead of 2.5 hours.

  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

    Why?

    Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

    I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

    So, the Star Wars films have progressively longer run times:

    Episode IV: A New Hope - 121 minutes

    Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 124 minutes

    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 131 minutes

    Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 136 minutes

    Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 142 minutes

    Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 140 minutes

    Episode VII: The Force Awakens - 138 minutes

    Rogue One - 133 minutes

    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 152 minutes

    Solo - 135 minutes

    Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - 142 minutes

    It's not perfectly consistent, but it's pretty clear that the Disney movies are gradually longer (the point where the "short" ones are longer than any of the original three films). At the risk of inviting another depressing "So, who here likes Star Wars today?" conversation, if you're one of those people who...thinks everything since 2015 with Disney's tenure has been....not good, to put it kindly, it very much forms a consistent picture of "They're longer, and worse." Like me, as I especially disliked The Last Jedi. And The Force Awakens. And despite an effort to put a positive spin on it, The Rise of Skywalker. :lol:

    I think my opinion of TLJ would have been way higher if it had been closer to 2 hours instead of 2.5 hours.

    Yeah, I don't think Rat Pack Casino Planet contributed that much either.

    urahonkyexisHeffling
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

    Why?

    Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

    I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

    To be fair, you don't really have to spend much time setting up the characters or world for Dredd. Marvel, on the other foot, has to cram so much into every movie so that the Avengers movies (or whatever they will be going forward) don't need as much. Also, too, the ever escalating dangers need time to play out amongst CGI explosions and faceless mook battles.

    Speaking of setting up the world, the first ten to twelve minutes of Stallone's Judge Dredd are still largely phemomenal. (Its problems set in thereafter.) For all its flaws it did Mega-City One right.

    urahonkyZonugalBlackDragon480
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

    Why?

    Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

    I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

    To be fair, you don't really have to spend much time setting up the characters or world for Dredd. Marvel, on the other foot, has to cram so much into every movie so that the Avengers movies (or whatever they will be going forward) don't need as much. Also, too, the ever escalating dangers need time to play out amongst CGI explosions and faceless mook battles.

    Speaking of setting up the world, the first ten to twelve minutes of Stallone's Judge Dredd are still largely phemomenal. (Its problems set in thereafter.) For all its flaws it did Mega-City One right.

    "Eat Recycled Food, It's good for the environment, and okay for you!"

    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    JazzTexiKenZonugal
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    That thing is as big as RDR2 and CP2077 put together?

    Why?

    Disney and Marvel expect no less. Remember when "three hour movie with the post-credit scene" was actually really unusual?

    I realised the other day that both Judge Dredd (the Stallone one from 1995) and Dredd (the Karl Urban one from 2012) are within a minute of each other in total runtime - and each is only just over an hour and a half long, including credits. The contrast with so many modern movies, Marvel ones in particular, was one I thought of, definitely!

    So, the Star Wars films have progressively longer run times:

    Episode IV: A New Hope - 121 minutes

    Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - 124 minutes

    Episode VI: Return of the Jedi - 131 minutes

    Episode I: The Phantom Menace - 136 minutes

    Episode II: Attack of the Clones - 142 minutes

    Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - 140 minutes

    Episode VII: The Force Awakens - 138 minutes

    Rogue One - 133 minutes

    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi - 152 minutes

    Solo - 135 minutes

    Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - 142 minutes

    It's not perfectly consistent, but it's pretty clear that the Disney movies are gradually longer (the point where the "short" ones are longer than any of the original three films). At the risk of inviting another depressing "So, who here likes Star Wars today?" conversation, if you're one of those people who...thinks everything since 2015 with Disney's tenure has been....not good, to put it kindly, it very much forms a consistent picture of "They're longer, and worse." Like me, as I especially disliked The Last Jedi. And The Force Awakens. And despite an effort to put a positive spin on it, The Rise of Skywalker. :lol:

    I think my opinion of TLJ would have been way higher if it had been closer to 2 hours instead of 2.5 hours.

    Yeah, I don't think Rat Pack Casino Planet contributed that much either.

    Generally speaking, movie making today runs with a belief that if something isn't happening (whatever 'something' can mean) then the audience will tune out.

    Not strictly analogous to gaming except for the belief that a game has less value if it's short.

    But the size of games today can be traced to several issues. But most recently was probably SONY releasing games with uncompressed audio to fully justify dual density bluray discs. And also likely that since games now are digital or include digital download content, why bother to optimise anything since physical media is no longer a significant factor.

  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Pretty sure uncompressed audio is one of the major factors in game size. As a general rule of wave file is 10 times the size of a mp3 of r save audio.

    Pretty sure it's a big contributor to my confusion at game install sizes and this generation. I have no idea what to expect from a new game anything from under 10gb to over 100.

    I reinstalled borderlands to finally play the DLC, and it crapped in over 120 GB on my PC. NBA 2K21 was just shy of 100gb. MSFight SIM full install is well over 100gb.

    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Hard to believe we're less than a year away from Starfield.



    (That's it. OK, I'm not that pessimistic, I guess it's Bethesda and not Blizzard. The video is mostly about Bethesda's history and "process" more than anything.)

    Synthesis on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Hard to believe we're less than a year away from Starfield.



    (That's it. OK, I'm not that pessimistic, I guess it's Bethesda and not Blizzard. The video is mostly about Bethesda's history and "process" more than anything.)
    Oof, I know reading youtube comments is a mistake but maaaan.
    This game has potential to be more than just a game, but a hallmark of human endeavor.
    Maybe I'm just old and cynical but the hype cycle is exhausting to watch.

  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    We haven't even seen the bloody thing yet.

    The teaser doesn't count, gave us no idea of the game itself.

  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    And lets be real. There's a > 50% chance the game gets delayed, since every game gets delayed.

    I've just learned not to care about games until they are things that I can actually play.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    urahonkyexisStabbity StyleBRIAN BLESSEDBlackDragon480bloodatonementHefflingSirialis
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I do like that Todd Howard is very much aware of what makes a Bethesda game unique, which is for me the ability to pick up all the objects in a room and have them all rendered in detailed 3D. It sounds silly but for me it’s a sign that he gets it. Like that’s the metaphorical heart to me of Bethesda games in terms of exploring environments

  • TexiKenTexiKen Registered User regular
    so Starfield is just a knockoff of Star Citizen or whatever the other Star game is?

  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    so Starfield is just a knockoff of Star Citizen or whatever the other Star game is?

    At least Starfield has a chance of being finished, ever.

    shoeboxjeddyexisStabbity StyleBRIAN BLESSEDMulletudeBlackDragon480rahkeesh2000NitsuaSynthesis
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    TexiKen wrote: »
    so Starfield is just a knockoff of Star Citizen or whatever the other Star game is?

    I mean…no? It’s the same genre and with some vaguely similar aesthetics (starfield looks a little more near future than Star citizen) but things in the same genre aren’t knock offs. It’s basically just a space Bethesda game, so like fallout or eldescrolls in space, on a basic level.

    Prohass on
    Crippl3
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Why the fuck can't I 'purchase' my Games with Gold on my fucking Windows Store app anymore? It used to let me add it to my account even if it couldn't be installed on PC. Now I can't do shit with it.

    Useless

    EspantaPajaro
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Registered User regular
    You can do it through the website - that is how I always do it for the past few years.

    https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold?xr=shellnav

    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    SynthesisLBD_Nytetrayn
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    And lets be real. There's a > 50% chance the game gets delayed, since every game gets delayed.

    I've just learned not to care about games until they are things that I can actually play.

    Which these days is anywhere from 6 months to 2 years after release.

    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    BlackDragon480Jazz
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Why the fuck can't I 'purchase' my Games with Gold on my fucking Windows Store app anymore? It used to let me add it to my account even if it couldn't be installed on PC. Now I can't do shit with it.

    Useless

    Because you can't purchase any Xbox console games on the Windows Store app anymore. Period*. And all Games with Gold games are console titles (though a few are play anywhere, that's secondary).

    *Unless you buy a PC Play Anywhere Game.

  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    This is so fuckin dumb, I can take a few tabs over to Microsoft Edge and do the exact same thing there from the browser. It's oddly antithetical to their principle of allowing people to access their shit from anywhere

    rahkeesh2000Jazz
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Tip for anyone like me who does the gamepass token things instead of downloading all 180 gigs of marvel avengers to get the checklist just boot it up in the cloud gaming option

    Ah, thanks for reminding me!

    That must be the best part of cloud gaming on console, bar none. (It ain't the visuals...)


    On another note, here's a small bit of joy I experienced the other day.

    I was doing my daily rounds in Animal Crossing for the Switch-- about 20 minutes of play time, usually-- while using the Pro Controller.

    Sometimes I get a sort of cramping discomfort in my hands, and it makes using the controller a bit unpleasant, so I tried to wrap things up and move on...

    ...to the Xbox, so I can check in on PSO2, Game Pass quests, and see if there are any new sales going on for items on my wish list.

    I take my Xbox One controller in my hands, and... no discomfort at all.

    I've always said the Xbox One controller felt perfect in my hands, but I don't think I realized just how perfect it felt until just then.

    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif
    JazzSynthesis
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    This is so fuckin dumb, I can take a few tabs over to Microsoft Edge and do the exact same thing there from the browser. It's oddly antithetical to their principle of allowing people to access their shit from anywhere

    The Windows Store app isn't part of the browser. You can't input an address (or call up Google or Yahoo or Bing) in it either, any more than you can do the same in the Steam storefront (you have to use Steam's terrible integrated browser).

    Though the complaint, "They've taken a bunch of functionality from the Windows Store app," might be a fair one, it's just not one I've encountered before personally--adding a basic browser to the app, since its revision, could be a good idea.

  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Hard to believe we're less than a year away from Starfield.



    (That's it. OK, I'm not that pessimistic, I guess it's Bethesda and not Blizzard. The video is mostly about Bethesda's history and "process" more than anything.)
    Oof, I know reading youtube comments is a mistake but maaaan.
    This game has potential to be more than just a game, but a hallmark of human endeavor.
    Maybe I'm just old and cynical but the hype cycle is exhausting to watch.

    I'm not even reading the little snippets that Bethesda talking about in interviews.

    Sadly, I am now unable to Get Hyped over something an unknown length of time away, and I've not seen a gameplay trailer for.

    It's almost certainly a day one purchase (or would be if not for Gamepass) but I probably won't have any excitement until a few months out.

    Jazzexis
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Has anyone else tried the new ticket building game in Gamepass ?

    I forget what it's called, but it's super addictive, I accidentally played it for 5 hours last night, despite only launching it to have a quick look.

    You build little toy rockets that get increasingly complicated as you get more parts, while upload videos of your launches to not YouTube. You eventually start making and money, and can then start buying parts.

    You get challenges from your viewers, and there's an actually story going in in the background, told in other videos and comments with viewers.

    Carpy
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried the new ticket building game in Gamepass ?

    I forget what it's called, but it's super addictive, I accidentally played it for 5 hours last night, despite only launching it to have a quick look.

    You build little toy rockets that get increasingly complicated as you get more parts, while upload videos of your launches to not YouTube. You eventually start making and money, and can then start buying parts.

    You get challenges from your viewers, and there's an actually story going in in the background, told in other videos and comments with viewers.

    Next Space Rebels.

    I have trouble even comprehending what it is beyond "Kerbal Space Program set in America (or at least on Earth) while managing a social media/Youtube presence." It's a little intimidating.

    urahonky
  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    I gotta say, I'm really loving the ability to do cloud gaming on console. It's really rad to be able to fire up a new Game Pass game immediately, see what kind of first impression it makes, and then decide whether I want to download it or not. It's the first time I've really felt like they're hitting the "Netflix of video games" idea that we thought Game Pass might be. 10/10, great feature*.


    *provided you have the Internet to sustain it, I fully realize that a lot of people don't.

    rahkeesh2000Mulletude
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried the new ticket building game in Gamepass ?

    I forget what it's called, but it's super addictive, I accidentally played it for 5 hours last night, despite only launching it to have a quick look.

    You build little toy rockets that get increasingly complicated as you get more parts, while upload videos of your launches to not YouTube. You eventually start making and money, and can then start buying parts.

    You get challenges from your viewers, and there's an actually story going in in the background, told in other videos and comments with viewers.

    Next Space Rebels.

    I have trouble even comprehending what it is beyond "Kerbal Space Program set in America (or at least on Earth) while managing a social media/Youtube presence." It's a little intimidating.

    Try it - you literally start with a booster, a rocket body, a nosecone a base part with stabilisers.

    You cant go wrong !

    As you you complete challengers you gain complexity points, meaning you can add more parts.

    I now have engines than need fuel !

    Carpy
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    "Come on, Lana! We're like the Warren Commission!"

    Local H JayshoeboxjeddyaugustBlackDragon480Andy JoeElki
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Paid $10 for the Steelbook physical release from Wal-Mart (which was...oddly sold out everywhere else, at least at the time). :lol:

  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Paid $10 for the Steelbook physical release from Wal-Mart (which was...oddly sold out everywhere else, at least at the time). :lol:

    Dang, only $10? I need to get in on that!

    In the meantime, if anyone is interested, I'm going live shortly:

    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Fucking RIP my series S storage

    Stalker 2 will take up 180GB on Xbox

    ProhassStabbity Style
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Reviews out for halo are good, but I can’t help but feel instead of excitement Im just relieved. Like it doesn’t have a lot of environmental variety, there’s nothing groundbreaking or overly ambitious about it, which is fair enough. But it kind of feels like I’m just glad it isn’t shit, rather than being blown away by what’s on offer. The graphics and effects in particular are solid, but nothing amazing. It just feels like I’ve played a lot of “next gen” experiences recently and halo doesn’t really seem to be offering that wow factor. It’ll still be super fun to play and I’m glad for the course correct, but the whole vibe I’m getting is that this is indeed a kind of successful course correct and not necessarily something that’s going far beyond that

    Hopefully it provides a good baseline for future instalments to do something with a little more punch. Like apparently there’s not much variety in locations, and the kind of herds of animals and a living world vibe I got from the initial teasers appears to be gone. It all just feeds into me being relieved halo doesn’t suck rather than super excited about it or blown away.

  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Who knows, maybe 343's 4th try at a Halo game won't just be good but... Great? Probably only if they delay it a few times first tho

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Who knows, maybe 343's 4th try at a Halo game won't just be good but... Great? Probably only if they delay it a few times first tho

    Well I’m hoping infinite is basically them stopping the bus from crashing and getting it straight and back on the road, and then in future instalments they can use that baseline to do some sick jumps and put the foot down with more confidence

    Really the core gameplay is why I’ll enjoy it, but it does feel like it’s missing the wow factor you want from your flagship game, particularly in terms of visual ambition and like a living world. But that’s me more wishing it could be something more, rather than expecting it to be that.

    Prohass on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm mostly being mean, I think the game is pretty good for them. But my expectations were literally below the earth after the bungling of Master Chief Collection and the middling Halo 5.

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think the development of infinite just seems to have been a bit of a nightmare, so that’s where my sense of relief comes from. The graphics are basically very clearly a last gen game, this was definitely meant to be an Xbox one game, it just kept getting delayed, so you end up with something that just frankly looks fine but not very impressive, but is great to play and doesn’t have a dumpster fire or a story. I’m a bit miffed that there basically is just the one forest and rocks environment tho.

  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think focusing on gameplay over GRAPHICS is fine, especially for Halo which has always been about moment to moment gameplay over fidelity. I appreciate they gave the game more time to be better. I actually don't like this early drop period because it feels like the BTB experience is pretty shallow with only 3 maps. Hopefully they can keep pace not just with season pass crap, but meaningful content like more maps and maybe some campaign DLC worth playing.

    Xbox - Local H Jay
    PS - Local_H_Jay
    Sub me on Youtube
    And Twitch
Sign In or Register to comment.