As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Returnal] Aliens meets Groundhog Day

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Returnal 2.0 update annoucement:
    • save -- 'suspend cycle' to be added
    And there would be much rejoicing if I hadn't finished with this months ago. I'll totally rejoice if I come back to it, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hell yeah that and a photo mode!

Might have to dust it off again and start from scratch!

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Since it got botp'ed

here's the save screen. You select it from the menu and then close the game directly from there
    bq16yq9k6o44.png

Qanamil on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Actually perfection now. Photo Mode looks incredible! and SAVING!
    wbmtm6rn4o6f.jpg

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I wish the patch notes detailed the other fixes and quality of life improvements that were made.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh cool, maybe I’ll actually be able to make some progress in this now

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Perfect timing for me to resume cipher hunting for the Platinum Trophy.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man fuck this shit still

This and Sekiro are my Exhibits A and B for "all games need difficulty and accessibility options" gtfo outta here with this shit

LxX6eco.jpg
    After hours of Deathloop no double jump is throwing me off something fierce.

Aegeri wrote: »

Removing double jump was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in Deathloop but that teleport ability was totally worth it.

urahonky wrote: »

Removing double jump was the hardest thing I've ever had to do in Deathloop but that teleport ability was totally worth it.

But then you can combine them.

And do some truly ridiculous things and get places the game doesn’t like you being.

urahonky wrote: »

But then you can combine them.

And do some truly ridiculous things and get places the game doesn’t like you being.

Oh yeah I just enjoyed messing around with the... Perks I guess? I can't remember what they named them. I had one where I had increased run speed, increased sprint speed, knockout enemies if you run into them, and increased defense. I basically sprinted all around murdering everyone.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Once I got maximally used to the maps I used one or the other, instead of always both, and sometimes neither.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/returnal-players-found-a-way-to-save-scum-in-latest-pat-1847974853

So yeah, basically exactly what people assumed would happen.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    https://kotaku.com/returnal-players-found-a-way-to-save-scum-in-latest-pat-1847974853

So? Let them, it affects nothing.

Yeah about what I expected. There's no way to prevent a save scum like that unless they are saving every second the player moves and at that point is it worth it?

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Doesn't change anything for me so *shrug*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.

Oh sweet, maybe I might beat the third area now

LxX6eco.jpg

I have long since stopped giving a shit how other people enjoy single player games. I personally won't save scum as I already finished all the main challenges with the game still new and no saving anyway, but if it helps people get into a fabulous game then I am all for it.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Picked this up once it went on sale after they added the suspend function and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm also not good at it, but feel like I'm making progress so far. Made it to the boss on one of my latest runs with the life leech ability and made it to phase 3 first time, and having the blade to get more powerups certainly helps.

If I don't get the boss on the next attempt I'm thinking of doing a few runs not spending any ether, and then grab a few items at once from the obelisk to try and brute force it (as much as you can).

Sound design and haptics on this game are fantastic.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    I don't think you can buy more than one thing from the obelisk in a single run? I hoarded ether and bought everything I could as soon as possible, so I'm not sure.

Alot if the game is figuring out which weapon works for you and focusing on getting some good perks on them. But I don't know how far along you are in the game.

klemming wrote: »
    I don't think you can buy more than one thing from the obelisk in a single run? I hoarded ether and bought everything I could as soon as possible, so I'm not sure.

That has an effect on things then!

I'm only in the first biome so far.

Got to a point last night where I was most of the way through biome 1, had the spitmaw (which isn't my fave but had picked it up because I'd unlocked the trait on the sidearm I'd been using). and was about to have to wrap up. Given it takes me a bit to get back in 'the zone' again when I resume a run thought I may as well get some more experience against Phrike to help learn her patterns before going to bed and coming back in a fresh run today.

Surprise victory! Suspended before exploring any of biome 2, somehow I don't think it's going to go gentle on me.

Spitmaw is legit really good. Just wait until you get some of the traits on it that cause it to burn armor and stuff. It's nice for bosses.

Also narrow maw does a lot to make it better as well. A good narrow maw with some of the other traits and enhanced damage can shred everything later in the game.

Yeah, this one had narrow maw (unlocked) and rapid spitter (which I haven't yet), with I think a point and a half (if that's what the different colour square means?) in extra damage and a point each into extra effective range and stagger. It does seem to be getting stuff done.

Yeah that is a very good spitter.

Absolutely every weapon can go beast mode eventually. Though some are much much easier, looking at your turrets.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Gonna do a Returnal run or two if anyone cares to watch.

Once upon a time the feels bad run of Returnal was not beating the third biome boss in each act.

Now it’s when I don’t find a single missing cypher.

Sigh.

I feel ya. I stopped going for the plat for that reason.

I'm still getting comfortable in biome 2, but I'm impressed how different it feels from the first one - I think all the footage I'd seen before was from biome 1 so it was a nice surprise!

Also, Hollowseeker is life.

Wait until you get one with Portal.

Then it is salvation. The weapon that lets you win the game without even thinking about it.

HAIL THE HALLOWSEEKER.

pylons for the pylon gods

Qanamil wrote: »
    pylons for the pylon gods

Pylons are so much fun!

Had to stop last night just outside what I'm pretty sure will be the arena for the second boss.

Going in cold is gonna be rough but I basically figure attempt 1 is a learning experience and I at least decided to activate a reconstructor not that far back so attempt 2 should follow not long after!

https://exputer.com/news/games/returnal-was-one-of-the-least-finished-games-this-year/
    Returnal Among The Least Finished Games of 2021
    According to a list compiled by HowLongtoBeat which is a site that’s meant to catalog your gaming backlog as well as inform you the average playtime of many games, Returnal was among the top 10 most retired games of 2021. “Retired” means people who dropped the game before finishing it. According to the list, Returnal was at No.6 in the list. The top 3 consisted of Twelve Minutes, Loop Hero and The Ascent.

Yeah I can see that. I feel like Returnal was one of the first real PS5 exclusives and lots of people jumped on it without knowing the difficulty.