As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superpower Idol- Round 1, Matchset 2

GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, ProbablyWatertown, WIRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
LAST TIME ON SUPERPOWER IDOL:

GAME 1: Vision Man vs. Cold Man (both taken from the Dr. Wily School O' Robots Even I Don't Want Any Part Of). Cold Man fires off one of those constant streams of cold and ice. Vision Man fires off a continuous stream of heat vision. The result is one of those two-streams-of-energy-WHICH-ONE-WILL-PREVAIL-OH-THE-TENSION-IS-KILLING-ME things. Duplication Guys that managed to survive the last matchup wander into the blast radius and promptly get ass-blasted. Vision Man looks like he's going to win, but then decides he wants to see the finishing blow, switches to x-ray vision, and proceeds to become a popsicle. Cold Man prevails, 48-35.

GAME 2: Mind Man vs. Explosion Man. Mind Man goes all hypnotic-y, persuades Explosion Man to enter a local mall and blow himself up. Federal agents descend upon the mall, take Explosion Man into custody on suspicion of terrorism and the murder of 6 Duplication Guys that died in the blast. (Though he is never charged.) He is currently being detained in Guantanamo Bay. Mind Man wins a walkover, 72-11.

30 left, two more about to bite it. Primer for those new to this:

*For as long as we're able to do so (which means up until the final), we'll have two matchups going at once. There will be four poll options, containing each of the four possible winner combinations (for matchups of A vs. B and C vs. D, you'd see A/C, A/D, B/C, B/D). This is done to save time. You're not meant to combine the powers.
*Each set of matchups will be considered for about three days. Each matchup, as you'd expect, is calculated individually- if A/C has 10 votes, A/D has 12 votes, B/C has 7 votes and B/D has 2 votes, A beats B 22-9 and C beats D 17-14.
*Each power is considered as a broad category. For 'energy blasts', you're considering everything from Cyclops to Starfire to Jubilee. For 'shapeshifting', think everything from Mr. Fantastic to Mystique to Clayface. And so on.
*When voting, consider whatever the hell you feel like as long as you're considering only the powers given. Consider the science behind each power or write it off as 'it's a comic book, who cares', the havoc you could wreak, downsides, whatever. You're voting for the 'best', but I leave the definition of 'best' up to you.
*Again, please don't combine powers when voting. It's just A vs. B and C vs. D, not A and B vs. C and D.

THE BRACKET:

Play-In Round (Salem Center, NY):
Invulnerability 54, duplication 24
Time manipulation 65, invisibility 13

ROUND 1 REGIONALS

Portland, OR regional:
Invulnerability vs. telepathy
Pheromone manipulation vs. flight
Teleportation vs. force fields
Weather manipulation vs. gravity manipulation

New Orleans, LA regional:
Fire/heat manipulation vs. telekinesis
Superhuman senses vs. wallcrawling
Immortality vs. shadow manipulation
Shapeshifting vs. intangibility

Annandale-on-Hudson, NY regional:
Time manipulation vs. electric manipulation
Cold/ice manipulation 48, superhuman vision 35
Superhuman speed vs. energy blasts
Waterbreathing vs. precognition

Deerfield, IL regional:
Healing vs. air/wind manipulation
Superhuman strength vs. probability manipulation
Superhuman intelligence vs. earth manipulation
Mind control 72, self-detonation 11

(Final 4 is set for Anchorage, AK.)

Up for votes in this matchset:
*Pheromone manipulation vs. flight (Portland regional)
*Immortality vs. shadow manipulation (New Orleans regional)

A quick primer on what we're talking for these four:

*Pheromone manipulation- Ability to generate and control pheromones to various effects. Examples of pheromone manipulators given by Wikipedia include Wallflower and Crimson Fox.
*Flight- come on, do you really need me to define flight?
*Immortality- You can't die. You can get mutilated and wind up as a disembodied head forever, and there is the issue of whether eternal youth is part of the deal, but you can't die. (Compare to invulnerability, where you can't get mutilated, but you can die from things like cancer, diabetes, and starvation after someone chucks you into a ravine and you can't get back out.)
*Shadow manipulation- Ability to manipulate darkness as a substance. Examples include Raven and Shroud.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
Gosling on

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    Polled.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Now that that's taken care of (thanks again, Elks), here's how I see it.

*Flight is overrated. By itself it's not much to go on. All the kickass flyers have other powers augmenting that flight. In our tournament, the flight has to stand by itself. Meanwhile, pheromone manipulation, well, that has singles-bar implications beyond your wildest dreams. I go with that.
    *Immortality is fun as long as you're able-bodied and in one piece. Once that goes away, it all kinda falls apart. Meanwhile, shadow manipulation is all SORTS of fun. You can make your own horror movie!

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, pheromone manipulation is the ability to manipulate people. Except you control crowds at once, you can't focus it on one person. And you can only inspire basic desires (love, hate, lust, etc.), you don't have very precise control. And you need to be at close range to make it work (you'd need some kind of wind control to direct the pheromones over a long or even medium distance, which is a different power). On the other hand, flight is cool. It's a great way to travel. I'd go with flight.

Shadow manipulation is good to scare people, but that's about it. You can't move anything with shadows, you can't change anything. You can just make shadow figures more easily. Immortality is cool, in that it allows you to make some really long-term plans. On the other hand, you'll have to watch everyone you've ever known and loved grow old and die while you stay the same. Plus, being trapped under a heavy rock for a few centuries would suck. Still, if you're careful and don't grow too attached to mortals, immortality can be very useful, while shadow manipulation will never be more than a side-show trick.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As odd and out of character for me as this is. I picked the pheromone and immortality combo. Instant Dorian Gray = WIN

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Richy wrote: »
    Well, pheromone manipulation is the ability to manipulate people. Except you control crowds at once, you can't focus it on one person. And you can only inspire basic desires (love, hate, lust, etc.), you don't have very precise control. And you need to be at close range to make it work (you'd need some kind of wind control to direct the pheromones over a long or even medium distance, which is a different power). On the other hand, flight is cool. It's a great way to travel. I'd go with flight.

Shadow manipulation is good to scare people, but that's about it. You can't move anything with shadows, you can't change anything. You can just make shadow figures more easily. Immortality is cool, in that it allows you to make some really long-term plans. On the other hand, you'll have to watch everyone you've ever known and loved grow old and die while you stay the same. Plus, being trapped under a heavy rock for a few centuries would suck. Still, if you're careful and don't grow too attached to mortals, immortality can be very useful, while shadow manipulation will never be more than a side-show trick.
    A) At close range, like hell you can't focus. And you can make people do a lot of things they wouldn't normally do in the throes of love, lust, hate, etc.

B) Raven. Dr. Light. Teen Titans episode 'Nevermore', first couple minutes. It's one of the more supreme ass-stompings I've seen in a superhero-based program. Don't tell me shadow manipulation's a side-show trick.

EDIT: And then you go splat, Tyler, because powers don't combine in this tournament, as you'll see mentioned TWICE in the OP.

Gosling on
  • Options
    TylerXKJTylerXKJ __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    flight + immortality = infinite fun

Seriously, I'd just fly as fast as I could into things. People, houses, mountains, everything. It would be a sport. One that never gets old.

TylerXKJ on
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Immortality would get boring to the point of insanity if we kept human psyches; shadow manipulation would be wonderful as it would give you incredible stealth at night. Pherenome manipulation seems rather weak to me, and as flight would be incredibly fun I'm gonna vote for that.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »

A) At close range, like hell you can't focus. And you can make people do a lot of things they wouldn't normally do in the throes of love, lust, hate, etc.

B) Raven. Dr. Light. Teen Titans episode 'Nevermore', first couple minutes. It's one of the more supreme ass-stompings I've seen in a superhero-based program. Don't tell me shadow manipulation's a side-show trick.

EDIT: And then you go splat, Tyler, because powers don't combine in this tournament, as you'll see mentioned TWICE in the OP.

Fucking awesome. This is why I'm going for Shadow manipulation.
    "What's the matter? Afraid of the DARK"

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    D: Shit I misclicked.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flight and shadow manipulation.

Flight because it's cool and I don't like the idea of manipulating people with pheromones.

While it's not a great power, I pick shadow manipulation because I'm sure that eventually (in two hundred years or two hundred thousand) I'd get tired of living. If I could choose to die at some point I'd go for immortality, but the lack of choice is a deal-breaker.

Smasher on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pheremones and shadows. I can make you love me and/or fear me. Both is definitely the most fun.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Shadow manipulation is pretty cool.

I mean, objectively some of these abilities are more powerful than others but I'm voting for the ones that are the coolest.

Flight/Shadow manipulation for me.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    D: Shit I misclicked.
    What'd you click and what did you mean to click?

Gosling on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Smasher wrote: »

Flight because it's cool and I don't like the idea of manipulating people with pheromones.

While it's not a great power, I pick shadow manipulation because I'm sure that eventually (in two hundred years or two hundred thousand) I'd get tired of living. If I could choose to die at some point I'd go for immortality, but the lack of choice is a deal-breaker.

A man after my own heart.

Shinto on
  • Options
    john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Flight/Shadow for me. Pheromones seem like a weaker, lamer form of mind control. How many people have dreamed of flying from point A to B instead of sitting in traffic for hours?

Immortality with invincibility is useless. Can our brains even hold 2000 years of information? Good chance of going crazy.
    When I was little, they had a Highlander the animated series. It was set in a semi-post apocalyptic world, and a bunch of immortals had been waiting to pass on their knowledge to the highlander. One was in charge of the nuclear weapons that destroyed the world, and had been sitting around for 100-1000 years waiting for the next highlander. Unfortunately, during that time he had been exposed to massive radiation and was covered in sores. By the end of the episode he was begging for someone to kill him and put him out of his misery. The episode finished up with the highlander giving the main villian cancer if I remember correctly.

So no immortality for me.

john fechon on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The problem with mind control is stronger minds, and other people with mental abilities. Also, with pheromone control, you can manipulate larger groups.

Flight depends on how fast you can fly, and whether or not you need to bundle up when flying to prevent skin damage.

Shadow control is great, because everyone has a shadow.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    What exactly can you do with a shadow though? I mean it's entirely insubstantial.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    What exactly can you do with a shadow though? I mean it's entirely insubstantial.

If we're going by comics, then part of the ability is being able to make shadows substantial.

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_daily/943433.html#cutid1

Like that.

It is pretty useless if they're still stuck to the ground, but I don't think that's what anyone meant when the ability was put into this.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

If we're going by comics, then part of the ability is being able to make shadows substantial.

Like that.

It is pretty useless if they're still stuck to the ground, but I don't think that's what anyone meant when the ability was put into this.
    I love how you gave an example of the quintessial 'goth' superpower by linking to Livejournal.

And moniker, kryptonite for some. Greatest strength for others.

Gosling on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Like that.

Plus you could likely use it to cloak your own presence or similiar type things. The only problem is that your kryptonite is basically just dark rooms without any light sources or omnipresent light.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I doubt there'd be any real distinction between a shadow and general darkness.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I'm pretty sure suicide is always an option.

Immortality and invincibility are not the same.

Elendil on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Elendil wrote: »

I'm pretty sure suicide is always an option.

Immortality and invincibility are not the same.

According to mtvcdm, even if you cut off your own head you'd still live forever. The only thing you could do that would be more extreme than that would be to destroy your brain, but I'm not sure if that's "allowed".

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think we've read too many stories about bastard genies. Why can't we think it's the good kind of immortality where the only problem is watching everyone around you die and, eventually, maybe seeing the end of the universe (which would actually be pretty cool). Why does immortality as a curse have to be the commonly accepted interpretation of it?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm more curious about when being a living, disembodied head became not cool. Especially since you'd probably be alive when they come up with ways to make your head hover around and everything. I mean, yeah I'd miss my body (some parts more than others), but it wouldn't be all bad.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If you were immortal, your body probably wouldn't die simply because you head had been separated. You could probably get the head reattached.

And every depiction of immortality where it doesn't suck has people reattaching their heads just by putting them back on.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    moniker wrote: »
    I'm more curious about when being a living, disembodied head became not cool. Especially since you'd probably be alive when they come up with ways to make your head hover around and everything. I mean, yeah I'd miss my body (some parts more than others), but it wouldn't be all bad.
    Pretty much when Futurama started saying so.

Gosling on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Immortality sucks. There are too many ways to get screwed over for eternity, especially if people found out about it. What if you were buried alive? Even if you were guaranteed to live healthily I think it would start to suck eventually as everybody you know ages and dies around you. Shadow manipulation is so-so but at least it doesn't have the disadvantages.

Flight is cool but it's too noticable, who knows what would happen if word got out? Pheromone manipulation, on the other hand... Well, the applications are obvious, though morally ambiguous in a lot of ways. It would have to be used in moderation or it would definitely backfire on you, but it would be very easy to keep a secret.

Zek on
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shadow manipulation, you can turn yourself into a real batman. You can even just create a shadow batman and have him beat up bad guys, then turn him into a bunch of shadow bats and fly away.

Pheromone manipulation, for the obvious reasons. On top of the naughty things you can do to others, you can also help the world. Walk up to Bush and start pheromone him up and you can make him start pulling our troops out of Iraq, denounce big oil companies etc. Fly to Palistan, pheromone people up until you get to the leaders and have them make peace with Israel. You can do so much good with this power. Nobody would suspect you have such a power, they would just think you are just a natural leader radiating with energy and awe.

notagame on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    notagame wrote: »
    Pheromone manipulation, for the obvious reasons. On top of the naughty things you can do to others, you can also help the world. Walk up to Bush and start pheromone him up and you can make him start pulling our troops out of Iraq, denounce big oil companies etc. Fly to Palistan, pheromone people up until you get to the leaders and have them make peace with Israel. You can do so much good with this power. Nobody would suspect you have such a power, they would just think you are just a natural leader radiating with energy and awe.

I'm assuming that once the pheromones wore off, people would go right back to being hateful fucks, so I don't see this as terribly viable.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I'm assuming that once the pheromones wore off, people would go right back to being hateful fucks, so I don't see this as terribly viable.
    You make the right moves and it won't matter. For example:

*You get to Bush. (Perhaps Cheney as well if you can swing it.)
    *Do your thing, persuade him to set up a meeting in the Rose Garden. Make sure that you are able to sit in a front row in the audience.
    *During the meeting, you (discreetly) continue to work him up so that he blurts out "Effective immediately, I am ordering the complete withdrawl of all troops from Iraq, and am also tendering my resignation effective as of the end of this sentence." (If you've gotten to Cheney, make him resign too.)
    *After the meeting, skip town and disappear into Switzerland or someplace.

When the pheromones wear off, what the hell are Bush and Cheney going to say to take it all back? It's their words, on camera, in front of the entire country and news media.

Gosling on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Flight is interesting, but more of a toy then pheremone manipulation which you could use to get ahead in life.

Shadow manipulation is useless unless you want to join the circus, so I would go for immortality and live forever.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Shadow manipulation is useless unless you want to join the circus, so I would go for immortality and live forever.

Beg to differ. When I'm watching a game on my couch, but I needed a beer, I can make a shadow hand to grab it for me from the fridge. I don't like someone? Follow them and make them keep tripping for 10 minutes on every other step.

notagame on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Beg to differ. When I'm watching a game on my couch, but I needed a beer, I can make a shadow hand to grab it for me from the fridge. I don't like someone? Follow them and make them keep tripping for 10 minutes on every other step.
    Man, what kind of shadow do you have? I'm not able to pick stuff up with my shadow...

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    When the pheromones wear off, what the hell are Bush and Cheney going to say to take it all back? It's their words, on camera, in front of the entire country and news media.
    Yeah, then we'd totally have them! That's been the problem for 6 years: Bush and Cheney never, ever said something on camera, in front of the entire country and news media, that was blatantly false, so we never had anything on them.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, what kind of shadow do you have? I'm not able to pick stuff up with my shadow...

I thought it said you can manipulate shadow as if it were a substance. I read that as the shadow being able to affects things when you do that. Otherwise, what's the point?

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, then we'd totally have them! That's been the problem for 6 years: Bush and Cheney never, ever said something on camera, in front of the entire country and news media, that was blatantly false, so we never had anything on them.
    Well, yes, but those were claims and promises. These would be actual orders, and an actual resignation. By the time the pheromones wear off, someone else will have been sworn in as President and he won't know what the hell.

Also, Bliss' interpretation of shadow manipulation matches the tournament definition.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Oh please, do you really think if the president were to get on the stage and speak to congress and the world "I hereby resign as the President." he can do anything but to resign?

Besides you can become his best friend and keep him pheromoned up for a month or so until all the paper works were finished and a new President in the office.

notagame on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I kinda think the last thing anyone with any kind of special ability wants to do is attract the attentions of the government.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pheromone control+flight manipulation=ability to fuck with people beyond my imagination.
    Pheromones aren't just for attraction, I could essentially put someone in constant fear or paranoia, the shadow manipulation would help, I could get them to do anything I want.
    We've discussed flight in a previous thread, some government would want to detain and study you. And Immortality just doesn't seem like a good idea, somethings bound to go wrong.

Picardathon on
This discussion has been closed.