Options

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God I love quarter color paint schemes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I love the way they look. I sure as fuck don't want to paint them on more than a single mini.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    I love the way they look. I sure as fuck don't want to paint them on more than a single mini.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Lieutenant Stabby reporting for duty!
    tfn7pgy23lfv.jpeg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Reporting in from the French's-Heinz Anomoly Front.

Looks real crisp! What red and yellow are those?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Bad Moon Yellow and Baal Red contrasts. They’re going to get a wash in Seraphim Sepia (new formulation) then proper highlights.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Impressive having such clean lines with contrast.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Contrast is great for freehanding over a light basecoat. Did all the markings on the armour of my BB black orc team with contrast

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Gonna say it’s a lot simpler if you leave the backpack off. Gun too if possible. Having unrestricted access to the areas where the line needs to be makes things so much easier. Makes doing the backpacks themselves easier too.

Also, it’s really useful to start with the high saturation colours, like the red, and the brown used on the pouches, then clean up with the undercoat colour, before doing the yellow. You can go faster with the yellow because tiny overlaps are nearly impossible to spot.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Is there a good place to see all the contrast paints over metallics?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Warhipster did a series of shorts that includes contrast over metallics

https://m.youtube.com/@Warhipster/shorts

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Is there a good place to see all the contrast paints over metallics?

I don't know if there is but there is a significant difference with the same contrast paint over different metallics. Black Templar over Leadbelcher is very nearly black but over Vallejo Air silver it is a distinctly metallic black.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So got a 2nd set of Von Ryan's and since I did not want to make them look the same I swapped around the larger arms [i shaved off the peg gluing it in}
    0kbtyxp3on3u.png
    d9ksshjme2g3.png

• Options
    Some metallics and sepia wash added:
    vgz7ruwegsmb.jpeg

• Options
    Turns out Vallejo can primer is way nicer than GW's, especially with the alternative low flow nozzle it comes with. Very smooth. Maybe not quite as black. And like 50% cheaper.

At least for the regular black. Haven't tried the contrast primers. Those are supposed to be good?

• Options
    Took some time off from batch painting tacticals to finish the airbrushing on the centurions
    cz5scfuc3y6j.png

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Current progress on The Lion. Not my best work but I'm happy with it so far. I also have the other three heads done and am painting up the little storage box for them I 3D printed.

q9mdf7dd0ygi.jpeg

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    might not be your best work but that isn't saying much!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I’m really happy with the checker pattern. It adds a lovely splash of color to an area that was drab and also give some extra 1st Legion style.

I did clean it up a bit after this photo.

• Options
    Please all tell me their recipes for a nice paleish gold / bronze.

trying out different versions for the Ultras and I'm stuck. Like, 40k style bright yellowish gold does. not. work. for the blue of my heresy Ultras. But then on the other hand it quickly turns way to silverish, I think. Also too bright and the blue looks too dark in comparison.

Something a bit like this? a slightly aged brass, maybe?
    gt48maqc7ajv.png

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Not a very high end answer, but in terms of quick easy and good enough for me, I use Guilliman Flesh contrast paint over a metallic silver base for a warm bronzey gold.

bEOXqik.jpg

Terrible picture but quite fitting for your example.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »

trying out different versions for the Ultras and I'm stuck. Like, 40k style bright yellowish gold does. not. work. for the blue of my heresy Ultras. But then on the other hand it quickly turns way to silverish, I think. Also too bright and the blue looks too dark in comparison.

gt48maqc7ajv.png
    Paint silver then hit it with a sepia wash? Senna like it could work. Maybe needing a couple of layers though.

• Options
    An odd way to store your minis from GW
    zkarmz9mgsas.png

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

gt48maqc7ajv.png

Runelord Brass looks like that out of the pot

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    An odd way to store your minis from GW
    zkarmz9mgsas.png

I don't understand why they don't release their own magnetic case.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I think there are regulations around selling magnets that they'd have to navigate.

Also GW always caters their hobby stuff to beginners, and magnetizing stuff is considered a bit more advanced.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Cynically, I bet it's because they haven't vertically integrated any magnet manufacturers.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Not everything that glitters is gold!
    sl1aaz2puo4c.jpg

Some testers. Opinions?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I think there are regulations around selling magnets that they'd have to navigate.

Also GW always caters their hobby stuff to beginners, and magnetizing stuff is considered a bit more advanced.

They don't have to sell the magnets! All they need to sell is something with some ferrous sheets in it!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

They don't have to sell the magnets! All they need to sell is something with some ferrous sheets in it!

But then you would need something from outside their ecosystem. That won't happen

• Options
    sl1aaz2puo4c.jpg

Some testers. Opinions?

I like 1, 2, and 8.

• Options
    sl1aaz2puo4c.jpg

Some testers. Opinions?

You’ve got 7 twice there.
    But the top three have to be 2, 5, & 4

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    4/8 imo. It matches the buckle on his chest.

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »

But then you would need something from outside their ecosystem. That won't happen

I know I am against the magnet storage ideal as there is no way I could store the carpet like that. Economically it makes no sense to do that. With other things like my dok army which is fragile compared to the idoneth even using the same storage problem. The same goes for my brother and his Realm lords
    None of the current storage problems would work as taking around rifle cases around is public is very frowned upon. I use a series of planos to store unpainted minis and then sadly tupperware I got for cheap to store the larger necron and tyranid stuff{ I really put all the large tyranid in the old assault brood box
    I have the gw really large case I just store my falcons and other craftworld vehicles in it and it doesn't work
    I know I have a storage issue {a large problem} As I do need help but like I said the magnet ideal is not going to work economically

• Options
    I splurged and bought one of those fancy frontier wargaming paint stations to take paint and models to work. I only got the smaller one since I usually only need like ten paint pots tops.

It is very nice. Got multiple compliments from people as I sat at the circ desk painting during lunch.

Think I got my Tyranid color scheme figures out too. Need to try it on a larger model first though.

• Options
    Ancient and head. Not the original but I can’t find that.
    ryj5jwxb5xwg.jpeg
    npm4yxeue6ga.jpeg
    7r6p4tal26j9.jpeg

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Dang that's a real nice face. How's the whole thing look at tabletop spacing?

• Options
    Haven’t actually put him together yet. Need to figure out what head position looks good and if I’m going to gloss the armour or not.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Vallejo is releasing an extension to their "contrast" Xpress range and similarly to GW there are some more deeply pigmented colours in there but unlike GW Vallejo has them clearly marked as "intense". GW should really follow suit and mark their like three(?) different paint ranges that Contrast actually includes

Juan Hidalgo posted paint swatches of all the new ones:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DF-evWrG0qXd-a4hRWlhkHosF6SDOipP

edit: for completness sake, the original Xpress range
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jpTaICsoSE91uV2t0zl4uLbNfH2oriFn

And they're also releasing a range of brushes, including Artis Opus style round drybrushes

honovere on
  • Options
    That “Twilight Rose” might as well be called “Genestealer cultist skin” and some of the rest are equally obvious matches to specific GW colour schemes. Which makes the actual Contrast range look like it’s missed a trick and a half.
    Anyway, definitely picking up the lot assuming I can find a supplier. Dreadnought Yellow might let me skip a step with my Howling Griffons too…

This discussion has been closed.