As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Last month I bought a random set of space marines someone had on ebay they had the full kit to make Drenn Redblade the Deathwatch member from Overkill
    My brother was upset that outside of his deathwatch iconography he was one of the better space wolves a little undergeared to be a wolf guard in his words
    d0onoofsx98d.png
    v1ypjkjdo9cw.png
    So he did some kitbashing to make him a grey hunter sgt

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Having the worst luck this week.

Pick up a spare can of clear coat, which was lucky because as soon as I tried to use the old can, it spattered a few drops and went dead.

So used the new can and finished clear coating my painted minis.

Clipped and sanded a bunch of terrain, watched some WarCom painting videos and went to the store to pick up some paints, while I was there looked into getting some more black primer, but they were out.

Get home and managed to prime a single door arch before the can goes empty.

Okay, so I started putting together some other minis that I can prime with a different colour, and ran out of glue before I could finish them all to be ready for priming.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    :bro:

Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Paint folks, a few quick questions.

Got a new desk/workbench coming this next week and I was going to turn it into my 3D printing and painting station. I would like to get a nice stand to hold my paints (a mix of brands, Citadel, Vallejo and War Painter) and I was looking at the OPHIR stuff on Amazon, or maybe 3D printing a stand, and recommendations on brands/styles?

Also where do you guys buy your like Vallejo stuff? I want to snag some more of their brand, but it looks like nowhere around me sells it and they don't have a way to buy it (that I've found) on their website. Stuff on Amazon seems WAY overprices (like $20 a bottle for the Metal Color).

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Got a new desk/workbench coming this next week and I was going to turn it into my 3D printing and painting station. I would like to get a nice stand to hold my paints (a mix of brands, Citadel, Vallejo and War Painter) and I was looking at the OPHIR stuff on Amazon, or maybe 3D printing a stand, and recommendations on brands/styles?

Also where do you guys buy your like Vallejo stuff? I want to snag some more of their brand, but it looks like nowhere around me sells it and they don't have a way to buy it (that I've found) on their website. Stuff on Amazon seems WAY overprices (like $20 a bottle for the Metal Color).

Since my LGS that sold Vallejo stopped selling them for a while, I think because of the pandemic, I started grabbing paint bottles off of ebay. I've been able to get stuff for mostly MSRP and if not MSRP at most it was a dollar more.

Keep in mind, Vallejo metal color bottles are about double the size and I think MSRP was like $10. $20 is pretty outrageous for a bottle.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    What is the safe way to sand resin miniature bits? Like, I have a dust mask and I keep the window open when I'm putting together miniatures, but I've heard Resin is even worse for you than plastic dust? Would having a fan blowing towards the window be better, or worse?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I just realized the metal color is the airbrush paint.

How's the liquid gold/silver?

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular

I bought two nail-polish stands from amazon for dirt cheap and they do the job great. Fits everything from citadel pots to different size droppers bottles.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I just realized the metal color is the airbrush paint.

How's the liquid gold/silver?

Their airbrush metallics are amazing and actually brush on very well also

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    What is the safe way to sand resin miniature bits? Like, I have a dust mask and I keep the window open when I'm putting together miniatures, but I've heard Resin is even worse for you than plastic dust? Would having a fan blowing towards the window be better, or worse?

If you can get a window mounted fan that can blow air outside. Besides that, having the mask should be fine. If you want to be hardcore you could get an extraction hood like for using an airbrush. As long as you mask up though you should be fine unless you are going to do a TON of sanding.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

If you can get a window mounted fan that can blow air outside. Besides that, having the mask should be fine. If you want to be hardcore you could get an extraction hood like for using an airbrush. As long as you mask up though you should be fine unless you are going to do a TON of sanding.

Another potential safety option is to wet sand the pieces. It creates less dust in the air, but then you need to clean up the slop you make.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Using Fjul from Warhammer Underworlds as my Captain in Frostgrave:

nSESRqL.jpg?1

Don’t ask him my he’s out in a blizzard with a conspicuous lack of trousers. It’s cultural.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I might be getting an imperial guard tank from a buddy to paint up, as he doesn't have any time and I've wanted to try warhammer stuff forever. Any good tips or video tutorials on doing machines? I've only ever painted up creatures and stuff for D&D.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Can it swap in the plasma gun?
    Using Fjul from Warhammer Underworlds as my Captain in Frostgrave:

nSESRqL.jpg?1

Don’t ask him my he’s out in a blizzard with a conspicuous lack of trousers. It’s cultural.

If your beard aint long enough to keep you warm, it's not enough beard.

• Options
    I know there's a couple sites out there that have custom waterslide decals. The only ones I can find are on themightbrush.com though.

Anyone ever seen some chalice decals or waterslides before? I've got a bug to paint a squad of Soul Drinkers but there's no way I'm freehanding heraldry. Even a basic white chalice transfer would cut it for what I want.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The Sisters of Battle transfer set has a bunch of chalices but they’re all black.
    Maybe look for vampire type decals? They get a lot of cup and chalice bling too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    You can buy decal paper sheets that you can print onto with an inkjet printer. Then you seal them with clear varnish and you're good to go. It's really easy to make your own.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    As long as you don't want white ones or other light colours. For those you generally want a layer of white underneath, too.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    You can buy decal paper sheets that you can print onto with an inkjet printer. Then you seal them with clear varnish and you're good to go. It's really easy to make your own.

Inkjet only or would a laser printer work?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

Laser works, but the paper is printer type specific so be careful when buying.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    You can get plain white printable transfer paper too (instead of transparent) but you obviously have to be very careful trimming the printed decal off the sheet then.
    I wonder if copy shops would print onto those sheets? They probably have a white-ink device (CMYW) or two for use with coloured paper.

• Options

Yeah like Chyrsis says you can get both, but it's printer specific. I had an inkjet to hand so I can vouch for it working. I used it to print a bunch of Zeon decals from gundam for my tau.

• Options
    Ok, well that's cool.

Maybe start chipping away at a custom chapter then.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ok, well that's cool.

What I would advise is getting a program that makes vector images, (like inkscape, which is free). These let you resize images without loss of detail, which makes them perfect for making decals and other minatures stuff. I shrunk down a bunch of Daily Bugles for Marvel Crisis Protocol using the same software.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    Really like I said in the 40k thread I really would like GW to bring back the helix snake from the wild riders pack an epoch ago
    These mtuvgnejfs11.png
    I know mine of what i have left have yellowed over the years and what has prevented me from printing more was it's white

Another is my debate about my homebrew chapter as I kind of want to use the dusk raider but flip it
    xlyaj3n9kvwk.png
    Because I kind of like being having a loyal night lord primaris chapter but I want to hint at the lineage but I have been torn on what the iconography to use

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Ok, well that's cool.

Start free-handing, coward.
    If that's a skill you want to learn. Otherwise don't because down that path lies only madness.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Ok, well that's cool.

If that's a skill you want to learn. Otherwise don't because down that path lies only madness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcc8BKY911g
    Or becoming a robot

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Ok, well that's cool.

I've tried it before. It's fine... But the thought of doing it across an entire Army just makes me barf in my mouth a little bit :lol:

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I hate transfers so much I freehanded eeeeeverything on my Raptors because it was quicker and easier.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    q7aqy5z6skbo.png

The urge to have ALL the gsc character models is high.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The GSC characters are all incredible, yeah, not to keen on the radio hacker guy, but it's very tempting just to grab everyone else and paint up a little coven of creepy weirdos.

• Options
    The GSC characters are all incredible, yeah, not to keen on the radio hacker guy, but it's very tempting just to grab everyone else and paint up a little coven of creepy weirdos.

Radio hacker guy?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I've now gone back several times to look at Richard Grey's (daemonrich) plague marine. That is probably one of my favourite paint jobs, ever. It looks like a good painting and not a painted model.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Radio hacker guy?

The clamavus.

• Options
    Kilroy_89Kilroy_89 I was hereRegistered User regular
    I am really proud of this one so I figured I'd post it here instead of just lurking as usual.
    The Man Frank Horrigan from Fallout Wasteland Warfare line.
    grf3a61hafon.jpg
    16v9pdr2uzdd.jpg
    2e2xatg9vpk2.jpg

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Semper Fi, you big green bastard!
    Looks fantastic, both the mini and the execution of the paintjob. The deathclaw is a nice touch.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I know I really only get to paint on my weekend and sadly I have to work myself up to to it
    I started some Custodes I had lying around as after dinner I just did some basecoats and just the overall wash on the gold
    fo3xvcoa75yq.png

I really need a better way to store my paint pots as the cardboard box I was using is quite full and starting to split on a edge but I just don't know what to use as I am debating from getting a large plano or?

• Options
    Slapped out a zoanthrope in about 30 minutes with contrast and washes
    5hy88vxv49ch.png
    yt18mdqosqhw.png

The brains are painted with volupus pink as it's more of a bubble gum pink or pink/purple

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Volupus is magenta, one of the primary colors (the others being cyan (talassar) and yellow (Iyanden)).

Or at least, as close as you get with contrast.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know I really only get to paint on my weekend and sadly I have to work myself up to to it
    I started some Custodes I had lying around as after dinner I just did some basecoats and just the overall wash on the gold
    fo3xvcoa75yq.png

I really need a better way to store my paint pots as the cardboard box I was using is quite full and starting to split on a edge but I just don't know what to use as I am debating from getting a large plano or?

Duct tape up the outside of that box and it'll be good for another year.
    The Plano or a cheap plastic toolbox are also good ways to go.
    Something like this should be able to fit a bunch of paint, plus basing materials and brushes with ease.

This discussion has been closed.