As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Painting exhibition a thread

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Paint! Paint! Paint! Paint!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This seems like very good fun!

Excellent, I look forward to seeing the results. Now I just have to decide what unit and characters from what army I want to paint.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    phTu1ZH.jpg

More Stormcast for my Knights Tempest Stormhost. They're multiplying steadily.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    so, uh, how should I be varnishing these? Should I even be?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    If you varnish, then probably gloss all over and matte with a brush for any details that you don't want glossy

• Options
    I mean, when I normally matte my space Wolves it dulls down my metallics. These whole models are metallics tho.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    phTu1ZH.jpg

What do you use for your basing for that texture?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I mean, when I normally matte my space Wolves it dulls down my metallics. These whole models are metallics tho.

In that case just varnish with gloss and you're set. I'd definitely recommend vanishing if you are gonna be handling the models in games to protect the paint job.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

These are contrast over metallics, right? Then you absolutely must varnish them. Contrast rubs off at the lightest touch in my experience.

Personally, I spray varnish them with gloss and then brush over matte. But, if I want that effect, I don't brush with matte over the metals.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options

These are contrast over metallics, right? Then you absolutely must varnish them. Contrast rubs off at the lightest touch in my experience.

Personally, I spray varnish them with gloss and then brush over matte. But, if I want that effect, I don't brush with matte over the metals.

Yeah, I just don't like the idea of glossed metals anymore thani like the idea of matte metals. Just too shiny, you know? Maybe I'll try a satin.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I'm big on satin these days.

• Options
    J wrote: »
    I'm big on satin these days.

understandable, it looks great on you.

• Options
    phTu1ZH.jpg

What do you use for your basing for that texture?

agrellian earth. added some layered drybrushing to make it more sandstoney.

• Options
    Satin worked great! Sprayed some Vallejo satin on with my airbrush and brush-painted the couple spots that were too shiny with matte.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Kill Team matched play roster:
    xukhtyadbj6q.jpeg
    Converted using Forge World original DKoK bodies to make up the numbers.

The sniper team:
    jer262i314ac.jpeg

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    On the previous page where I tired to talk Kraul into the sons of the phoenix
    In watching the first video where he paints them up I was looking at what I had since I was debating about getting the two blues I lack to highlight night lord blue and to paint up some other things I was surprised to find out I have corax white spray but not the bottle
    I know because of people doing box breaks on the combat patrol box I can get primaris for cheap? {shakes fist at them as though they break down the necron ones they do not sell the Triarch Stalker} U just have to see if the GW store is still doing the 10 paints deal since I am running low on sprays and debating if I want do to the Sons as a kill team painting theme?
    I know the problem is talking myself into certain colors as will I use them on more than one model or squad?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Satin worked great! Sprayed some Vallejo satin on with my airbrush and brush-painted the couple spots that were too shiny with matte.

:twisted:

Edit: Sorry, I misread that as "Satan worked great". Boy, is my face red.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

:twisted:

Edit: Sorry, I misread that as "Satan worked great". Boy, is my face red.

Hail satin!

• Options
    Because I was getting frustrated with painting the drukhari raider. I thought I primed some venoms with it so to give them a go to test out the paint scheme for the kabal of the flayed skull on
    yyqz2395rwd6.png
    k3dejsypmt2n.png

It too is kind of annoying to paint with I have to put it down get more paint and repeat [the lead bleacher pot had settled far more than it looked like so I really have to shake it}
    The straw is there because that is how I primed it and thought it would hold while I painted it nope

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Damn, that got funded fast. Half tempted to go all in and get the whole set just to support, plus...dropper bottles. Come on GDubs, how are we not using dropper bottles yet? So incredibly stubborn.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'm torn. I'm sure they're good paints

But how badly do I need MORE paints

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    They mentioned they were mixed for "good flow", but I wonder if they mean good flow on the brush, or if they've mixed them thin for air brushes as well? At any rate, I've been wanting to branch out from GW paints for a while and this is very tempting.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I forgot my kickstarter info so that's both a good and bad thing
    I don't branch out from GW that often only the colors or things they lack is when I do

• Options
    And Another!
    X9aB8QC.jpg

My best yet. Getting a better handle on the contrast paint and getting it to dry the way i like. Also decided more steel/silver and less gold is the way to go.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So I got the octarius box, and I've got a bevy of questions on how best to proceed on the painting front. First and foremost, can I get some suggestions on the best kinds of paints to look into that aren't citadel paints. Do any old acrylics work? Like using the little pots to paint all this terrain feels like a fools errand outside of the detail work. I'm both very beginner on actually painting my minis (most of my existing ones were primed and then I lost acces to any kind of painting space) and I also don't necessarily need to be like pro level or anything I'm just looking for these to be something other than model grey or primer black/white.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    So I got the octarius box, and I've got a bevy of questions on how best to proceed on the painting front. First and foremost, can I get some suggestions on the best kinds of paints to look into that aren't citadel paints. Do any old acrylics work? Like using the little pots to paint all this terrain feels like a fools errand outside of the detail work. I'm both very beginner on actually painting my minis (most of my existing ones were primed and then I lost acces to any kind of painting space) and I also don't necessarily need to be like pro level or anything I'm just looking for these to be something other than model grey or primer black/white.

Vallejo is a very good non citadel paint. Always thin your acrylics with water or some other medium before painting.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

The trick to the big terrain pieces is to prime them black so that all the recesses are dark shades, then dry brush some metallics, and then dry brush some green/yellow/brown/red on top of that.

Then pick out some details to paint.

I seem to recall Midwinter Minis did a really solid YouTube video on it, with some extra stuff like using a dye shade bath too.

Edit: for buying paints I would recommend seeing what your local shop has on offer, so that it’s easy to build your collection as needed. But a good paint starter set usually offers some great value too as opposed to picking up each colour individually.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Dry brushing on metallics is a super easy eay to add some interest to terrain

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Oh that's the next question, brushes. What's my best bet for brushes? I was always using friends brushes when I got my first exposure, and it was all the little detail brushes you use for minis, on this terrain is it suitable to use a bigger brush or should I stick to your standard small model brushes?

• Options
    Oh that's the next question, brushes. What's my best bet for brushes? I was always using friends brushes when I got my first exposure, and it was all the little detail brushes you use for minis, on this terrain is it suitable to use a bigger brush or should I stick to your standard small model brushes?

use a bigger brush for big stuff

• Options

I like citadel brushes. Theyre a little more expensive but they last. If you're painting terrain get one of their larger basing brushes.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/L-Base-Brush

Their new synthetic line is cheaper. Dunno about its quality. Familiar with brush maintenance?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I mean just your basic always rinse and dry your brushes after use stuff you learn in art courses.

• Options
    I mean just your basic always rinse and dry your brushes after use stuff you learn in art courses.

Other two big ones are washing your brush periodically as you use it and not getting paint in the bit where the bristles meet the handle.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Cheap make up brushes make excellent dry brushes

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Definitely gonna have to practice the dry brushing on some of my older models before I hit this terrain.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Cheap make up brushes make excellent dry brushes

This 100%. Never spend big money on brushes for dry brushing.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Definitely don't spend big money on dry brushes...but I am definitely in the "you get what you pay for" camp when it comes to brushes you're going to be doing standard painting with. My painting level went up considerably when I got really good brushes that can hold a point and have a good paint well. In my case I use Windsor & Newton Series 7's but there are plenty of high quality brushes out there.

Yeah, I know there are people like Sam Lenz who can use shit synthetic brushes and be a professional...I'm not Sam Lenz. The support a great brush provides me helps my amateur ass do decent paint jobs.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Also you probably don't need any 000 or smaller brushes like ever. They're generally way worse at holding paint than larger brushes and as long as your brush has a good tip a 0 is mostly the smallest most people ever need. I do probably 90 percent of my model painting with size 1-4.

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Excluding dry brushes, giant brushes, and like ultra-fine stuff. What size brushes would you recommend having on hand?

Edit: Should have refreshed before asking, I guess. Should I have a 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Or would like a 0, 2, and 4 suffice? NGL these Windsors are pricey.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
This discussion has been closed.