As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] was a website about video games

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I use to listen to both podcasts every week. I haven't in awhile. Since around when Dan left. But uh...why is everyone leaving? Are they just done with the format, or did something happen?

we don't really know for sure, but it's very likely it's got something to do with their recent purchase by Red Venture

Damn that Mr. Plinkett

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    el_vicioBahamutZERO
    eh still needs a bit of time in the oven

sig.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    last year when they were discussing the max temkin stuff, vinny and alex both seemed real stressed out and down about kind of, the whole thing

alex at the time was talking about how he wasn't really sure anymore if he was really contributing much in his position or if he was just taking up space for somebody who could be doing a lot more with it

vinny's been talking for years about how he really doesn't wanna do this his whole life and he kinda can't wait to retire

the only one that really feels like much of a surprise to me is brad

SimBenMaddoc
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    well, that stream ending with Vinny making sure to pay homage to Ryan Davis while his voice was audibly breaking made it very hard

Is this stream available anywhere?

GiantBomb use to mean a lot to me. Like When Ryan passed away it was my wakeup call to start getting my shit together because, and I know how this is going to sound, it was like a close friend had died. I never met the man, and only spoke to him through email once for a technical issue on their website, but damn just listening to them riff every week got me through a ton of shit.

PhasenAistanOmnomnomPancake
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well all expected good things following the aquisition by the Bloody Handed Venture Expeditionary Group

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    SimBenOmnomnomPancake
    The main thing with Brad is he's by far the one who feels like he brings the least amount of his actual personality to the site. His opinions and his thoughts yes sure absolutely but like, we don't get a lot of the Inner Brad Shoemaker, so he really just feels like Jeff's sidekick a lot of the time.

sig.gif
    SageinaRage
    Bucketman wrote: »
    well, that stream ending with Vinny making sure to pay homage to Ryan Davis while his voice was audibly breaking made it very hard

Is this stream available anywhere?

GiantBomb use to mean a lot to me. Like When Ryan passed away it was my wakeup call to start getting my shit together because, and I know how this is going to sound, it was like a close friend had died. I never met the man, and only spoke to him through email once for a technical issue on their website, but damn just listening to them riff every week got me through a ton of shit.

It will be posted in audio form on the Bombcast feed in a couple hours and should be on the site as video (behind premium) at the same time.

sig.gif
    Bucketman
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    now both major sources of game news I go to every week, Giant Bomb and Waypoint, exist in this weird limbo where both of them are technically still around but not *really*

6F32U1X.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oh, did a bunch of people leave Waypoint?

I tried to give Waypoint another shot but I forgot about Klepek

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

el_vicioDidgeridoo
    Waypoint is only Patrick Klepek, Rob Zacny, and Cado now

Austin left a year or so ago and is a paid contractor to host the show, and Gita Jackson appears as a guest from Motherboard but is not on staff

also Waypoint as a website doesn't exist anymore but also it does but they don't call it that but you can call it that

6F32U1X.png
    Stilts
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Fwiw he's not on every episode

Midnite
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The Persona 4 Endurance Run is one of the best things on the internet.

I think it might be time to revisit it.

https://youtu.be/Y2_Y7CxaZkI

HybridBucketmanPwnanObrienSCREECH OF THE FARGEmperorSethDee Kae
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

I thought I was in the tiniest minority for not being able to enjoy Waypoint because of Klepek

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

GR_Zombie
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I haven't kept up with GB. I wasn't playing video games that much for awhile due to not having a system that could run many upcoming titles. After we lost Ryan Davis I felt his absence a lot and I was never a fan of Dan. Jeff and Vinny were always the core after that and I am so grateful they introduced me to Austin Walker who is one of my favorite games media people of all time. I sill keep up with his endeavors.

I'm not crushed by this change, it kind of feels like it needed to end sometime and at least it still has an impact. I wish them all great success in the future. More that this really marks another passage of time. Truly the end of an era.

Fencingsax

Austin left a year or so ago and is a paid contractor to host the show, and Gita Jackson appears as a guest from Motherboard but is not on staff

also Waypoint as a website doesn't exist anymore but also it does but they don't call it that but you can call it that

they officially renamed it back to waypoint recently, didn't they?

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Downloading what I can while I can

HybridBucketmanPwnanObrien
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I was dreading this after the Red Venture buyout but I'm still devastated, this was not the first thing I wanted to wake up to.

el_vicio

there's no way to know

it could be anything

Giant Bomb might be in a really weird spot now but at least it's not Schrodinger's Website like Waypoint is

6F32U1X.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Huh, they did.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Still love these animateds.

https://youtu.be/uvjTX1MB2yA

pHWHd2G.jpg
    PwnanObrien
    I was dreading this after the Red Venture buyout but I'm still devastated, this was not the first thing I wanted to wake up to.

Just like when Ryan passed, I thought the thread titles were a joke, and in no way real

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

TankHammer
    I feel like I need to specify that Giant Bomb isn't dead dead, but Vinny, Alex and Brad are leaving at the end of the week

which leaves the fate of the site very uncertain though Jeff seems to be signaling that he's gonna hunker down and make something out of it

sig.gif
    el_vicioCelloPwnanObrienBucketmanAistanCrippl3
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They literally mentioned it's Waypoint again on Friday's podcast.

el_vicio wrote: »

I thought I was in the tiniest minority for not being able to enjoy Waypoint because of Klepek

Patrick Klepek is like if you wanted the most stultifying accursed vapid overheard public transit conversation on demand whenever you need a hit of agony

el_vicioGR_ZombieStilts
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I haven't kept up with GB. I wasn't playing video games that much for awhile due to not having a system that could run many upcoming titles. After we lost Ryan Davis I felt his absence a lot and I was never a fan of Dan. Jeff and Vinny were always the core after that and I am so grateful they introduced me to Austin Walker who is one of my favorite games media people of all time. I sill keep up with his endeavors.

I'm not crushed by this change, it kind of feels like it needed to end sometime and at least it still has an impact. I wish them all great success in the future. More that this really marks another passage of time. Truly the end of an era.

We are in the same boat, you and I

Jragghen
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Downloading what I can while I can

Off the top of my head...

Endurance Runs, Beast in the East, all of This Is the Run, 13 Deadly Sims, Project BEAST.
    There's definitely other stuff I'm not thinking of right now.

Diarmuid on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Is Austin or Gita on any other gaming podcasts right now? They were my main draws for Waypoint in the first place.

And yeah, my tolerance for Patrick Klepek is at an all-time low these days. Most of the time he doesn't even know what he's even trying to say, but by god he's going to interrupt everyone else to say it. Then there's the song and dance of the interrupted person trying to break back in, while Patrick continues to talk more and more loudly until the original speaker gives up.

SimBen wrote: »
    I feel like I need to specify that Giant Bomb isn't dead dead, but Vinny, Alex and Brad are leaving at the end of the week

which leaves the fate of the site very uncertain though Jeff seems to be signaling that he's gonna hunker down and make something out of it

We're two positions way from GB just being Jeff's twitch portal.

SimBenel_vicioBahamutZEROBucketmanPeewi
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    no, rorie and jason are not actually leaving. rumormill etc

edited May 2021

Patrick Klepek is like if you wanted the most stultifying accursed vapid overheard public transit conversation on demand whenever you need a hit of agony

100%. I was keeping that to myself during his GB days, because he got so much fucking hate from Gamergate assholes (and people adjacent to it), but *man*.

e: and he wasn't as full of himself and his phony persona back then, either.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Did that say cyber-raptor?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    august
    rhylith wrote: »

Huh, they did.

they haven't gone SUPER deep into it but basically it sounds like the whole thing was a big weird pissing match between the folks up at the top of Vice, and now the people that made all the Vice verticals remove their unique branding aren't the ones calling the shots anymore

Cellorhylith

100%. I was keeping that to myself during his GB days, because he got so much fucking hate from Gamergate assholes (and people adjacent to it), but *man*.

?

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Controversial (?) opinion I like Patrick Klepek

Sorry everyone

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Undead ScottsmanSimBenPwnanObrienUbikagoajPhasenAzraithAistanfinnithBucketmanCrippl3webguy20admanbHappy Little MachineEndarovegeta_666never diemxmarksAphostileRhesus PositiveH0b0manGONG-00PenumbraMei HikariKadithMortal Sky
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I generally feel that Patrick Klepek doesn't usually bring much to a conversation but I don't dislike him

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    PwnanObrienBahamutZEROCormacPeenSeGaTaiMortal Sky

?

I don't want to turn this thread into that discussion tbh, but he was always so desperate to sound smart and eloquent without reallly saying much, and that shit grinds my gears
    Cello wrote: »
    Controversial (?) opinion I like Patrick Klepek

Sorry everyone

That's fine! This isn't about some objective truth, some people you like, some you don't

ouxsemmi8rm9.png