Options

[Giant Bomb] was a website about video games

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Theres also the alternate universe of CBS buying Waypoint, (and then eventually sell them off).

https://www.tumblr.com/jeffgerstmann/718919063821271040/vinny-mentioned-that-giant-bomb-was-in-talks-with

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Well "for life" being until today when Vice would have likely shut down Giant Bomb as well. :)

Yeah, on the stream Rob commented along the lines of "Maybe things would have gone differently if we'd acquired them, and we'd be in a much better space... or maybe we would have killed off an entire generations' worth of video game coverage in one fell swoop"

They would have burned oh-so brightly, though. That fantasy I prefer over the fizzling out we got

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    I didn't think they could top the bit where they were trying to get Universal Studios mascot characters to too sweet them and then they went to the Waterworld show...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "is that corn?"

Goddamnit Dan.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So this years summer game fest showcase was so boring, I WATCHED IT FOUR TIMES!!

I watched Remaps, Nextlander, Jeff Gerstmann's and Giant Bomb's coverage of that.

Remap- Has the best overall levels of enthusiasm, industry scuttlebutt and dunks
    Nextlander- I don't know what it is but they just feel sedate these days. I can't even remember any of their reactions
    Jeff Gestmann- Being solo meant a lot less time talking, so if you find the other ones too chatty, this might be it. Enthusiasm was low but industry insight is on point, as always.
    Giant Bomb- Highest energy, believe it or not. Dan Ryckert carries mountains. I would have figured Jeff Grubb would be good on industry insight but he was pretty mum during this one. Tam and Lucy joined in and I'm not sure where the other two women were from.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    GB@Nite definitely feels different with Grubb hosting but everyone seems to be having a good time and that's always the best part.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Holy shit this final panel with Grubb, Dan, Mike Mahardy, Mary Kish, Mike Minotti and a someone else I don't recognize (Greg Miller pops up on occasion from the audience), is the spiritual successor to the Midway Boys and while I was genuinely entertained in a way I didn't think I ever would be again, I'm not sure it's a good thing.

Grubb apparently didn't get the "tone down the alcohol" memo that Gerstmann and company figured. These people are druuuuuuunk. Probably drunker than they should be while on camera; though nothing bad happens, thankfully.

Also Mike Mahardy is STILL doing the "openly threaten to kill Mary Kish" bit which I'm sure she's fine with but is wearing a bit thin for me.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I just don't enjoy Mike Mahardy's work on podcasts and appearances very much, it's nothing personal exactly but he's very much like Rorie in that if I see his name in a rundown I'm much less likely to listen to/watch it.

• Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Mike Mahardy wasn't actually on the panel. They did a bit where they introduced Jake Dekker from GameSpot/Fire Escape as Mike and never dropped it.

• Options
    That would explain why he looked way older than the last time I saw him.

• Options
    I'm actually genuinely impressed with how well put together Giant Bomb's stuff is this year given they're basically down to two editors and one producer now. I don't know how much longer Giant Bomb has in the grand scheme of things, but Grubb, Dan and Jan definitely still seem like they're giving it their all.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Hubble_Captures_Crisp_New_Image_of_Jupiter_and_Europa_pillars.jpg

EDIT: jesus you can't resize things in imgur anymore can you; original version it is I guess

Lanz on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Imgur doesn't want to be an image hosting service anymore, they want to be a social network

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Well hey, the market is open at the moment

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Jan offscreen freaking out because he hadn't found out about that Persona tactics trailer that leaked two days ago is all you need to know about how busy he's been

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I remember playing it on Base PS4 when it came out and it crashed.

Every.

Single.

Night.

That I played. There reached a point i was playing it to complete it out of spite.

My best guess in retrospect was it probably had a memory error given how regularly it happened, so I guess after enough time each session it basically went “WHOOPS NO MORE MEMORY” and crashed to the PS4 UI

Lanz on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    It must have been fun working as a grunt for Sony support when CDPR told buyers to ask for refunds even though your company has no refund policy

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Cyberpunk should not have been released on the PS4 or Xbox One.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

This is unassailable

The only reason the company wanted it to stay on those platforms is the install base and the amount of money they’d make

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I have realized that I have the same reaction to Mike Minotti that some have about Dan, further proving they are two sides of the same coin.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Olivaw wrote: »

This is unassailable

The only reason the company wanted it to stay on those platforms is the install base and the amount of money they’d make

well, I mean, yes. that's why devs put games on any platform.

not to defend Cyberpunk specifically because good lord what a shitshow, but "release your game on the platforms with the largest install base" isn't like some devious cynical money grab

it's not that they shouldn't have done it, it's that they should have actually done it properly (many companies have!)

(of course, if you want to tweak that to "they should have done it well or not at all" then yeah I'm fully onboard)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    It is a devious cynical money grab when your game literally doesn't work on that platform

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    sure, which I called out in my original post. it also barely worked on all the other platforms, so I'd say the platform choice wasn't the core issue

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    You are downplaying just how non-functional it was on PS4 and Xbox One

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I have a buddy who played Cyberpunk all the way through on PS4, three different times. Wild shit.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Cyberpunk should not have been released on the PS4 or Xbox One. until three years and change later than it did, when that DLC is scheduled to come out

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    You are downplaying just how non-functional it was on PS4 and Xbox One

I'm not trying to downplay anything, I'm saying that the entire game's release was a devious cynical money grab, not just the specific part where they released their broken software on older hardware that showed just how massively and fundamentally it was broken. Wanting to release on PS4/Xbone contributed to it no doubt, I'm more than happy to say that much.

• Options
    oh shit, Dave sighting
    Nextlander did a stream of Baldur's Gate 3 with Vinny, Dave, and Brad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKv-ijkT2nA

• Options
    GBI on in the background as usual, some old E3 coverage, it’s a small thing but I love this bit where Brad is talking about Alien Isolation and getting ready to go play it, and he and Drew (I assume it’s drew given when it was) step out of the convention center and into the bright LA sun and you can see Drew immediately try to compensate by switching the internal ND Filter into place, literally see it sliding in between lens and sensor, in the camera.

Makes me curious what cameras they were using back then

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5CXkRe4_Vk

Paul Ryckert going through 20-something tubes of toilet paper over the course of three years is horrifying. Like even as somebody who stole toilet paper from the off-suite bathrooms of a DirectTV office when I went to art school to save money and because fuck them that is an insane level of penny pinching.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    don't really keep up with the GB/nextlander crew these days but i heard that they got an easter egg in the new castlevania season

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I haven't really been keeping up with what Jeff's been up to, but I guess the Gerstmanns are having another baby.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Yeah only just heard about that yesterday, they're diving in quick

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Jeff: Hey Honey, what if we made this family a little bigger?
    *9 months later*
    Jeff: Bigger
    *9 months later*
    Jeff: BIGGER
    4ej1zvopl8iz.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png