As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Giant Bomb] was a website about video games

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i never really liked rorie, but i guess he wasn't on camera all that often

Peewi
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i never really liked rorie, but i guess he wasn't on camera all that often

They just needed to have Rorie run a 5k before showing up for a stream. Burn off a bit of that excess energy he consistently brought.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's never been a bad hire. Brad get on my nerves a lot and Dan was sometimes exausting, but all-in-all they've knocked it out of the park over and over again.

I really like Brad a lot more outside the discourse of talking about video games. He's fun with Will on the Techpod and I always liked the holiday stuff and his writing was great too.

For me Ben was the weakest. I just couldn't connect with him. but even then he was still pretty good.

Did you watch Going Rogue?

Ben really went out with a bang there. It’s one of my favorite GB things honestly.

Diarmuidwebguy20AistanSimBenBucketmannever dieRhesus Positive
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    At some point I have to track down one of my favorite weirdly specific Bombcast moments where Vinny reveals he knows the names of all the Totally Spies girls.

Ryan: Why do you know that?

Vinny: Oh you know... gotta keep up.

Ryan: Keep up with what?

Vinny: The business.

Ryan: WHAT BUSINESS

august on
    TankHammerCellorifficmiscellaneousinsanityHybridSpeed RacerOdinOghulkSimBenPwnanObrienSCREECH OF THE FARGdarunia106BucketmanShadowfireTonkkanever dieNiryaRhesus PositiveHadesDark Raven Xhemmelight
  • CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    At some point I have to track down one of my favorite weirdly specific Bombcast moments where Vinny reveals he knows the names of all the Totally Spies girls.

Ryan: Why do you know that?

Vinny: Oh you know... gotta keep up.

Ryan: Keep up with what?

Vinny. The business.

Ryan: WHAT BUSINESS

Totally Spies Totally Party

augustreplacewythySpeed RacerCrippl3WeedLordVegetadarunia106BucketmanOlivawShadowfireturtleantTheySlashThemDark Raven XReynolds
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I have liked everyone who has worked at Giant Bomb in a regular on camera role.

rhylithPwnanObrienBucketmanH0b0man
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Rorie was an active danger as a community manager and that's all I can say

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Rorie was an active danger as a community manager and that's all I can say

Then why say anything at all? All people can do with that information is speculate as to what you meant, and that's really not going to help anyone.

Am I supposed to cancel Rorie? Never turn my back on him? Make sure i get duplicates of any coorspondance I have with him? What do you want me to do with this information exactly?

Undead Scottsman on
    UbikOlivawOptyRhesus PositiveSatanIsMyMotorAshcroftDamnItCohaagenel_vicio
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    WeedLordVegeta would like to caution people against supporting Rorie, and also WeedLordVegeta literally cannot do anything else, because WeedLordVegeta is under a legal NDA that they are pressing up against the limits of in an effort to try and help anyone they can.

It is not a sex pest thing.

I needed anime to post. on
    MasterCylinder
    We never signed NDAs but also I'm not gonna give details because it is not fair to the people who were harmed by the actions of the giant bomb mod team under rorie's purview

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Ah okay when last I talked to you about it it was something where that was still on the table, mb

WeedLordVegeta
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    WeedLordVegeta would like to caution people against supporting Rorie, and also WeedLordVegeta literally cannot do anything else, because WeedLordVegeta is under a legal NDA that they are pressing up against the limits of in an effort to try and help anyone they can.

It is not a sex pest thing.

Honestly this does help to hear because I wasn't sure from the hints on this occasion and previous times if it was a sex pest thing

And while I don't give a shit about Rorie himself, and can easily believe he sucks, I don't want to append that label to someone who hasn't earned it

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Der Waffle MousBucketmanturtleant
    Ah okay when last I talked to you about it it was something where that was still on the table, mb

Im not officially associated with the team at the moment but the waypoint mods are much more loosely overseen nowadays, the discord and Forum ecosystem exist mostly as independent communities and there have been talks about a Post Waypoint Plan if the site ever becomes fully subsumed in to vice or something equivalent happens; NDAs have not been a going concern for a while

Yeah to be clear if I knew rorie was a sex pest guy I would have said something, like when the nick Robinson stuff happened

This is a professional grievance

Yeah to be clear if I knew rorie was a sex pest guy I would have said something, like when the nick Robinson stuff happened

This is a professional grievance

I appreciate the clarification, thanks!

Steam
    webguy20Der Waffle Mousdarunia106BucketmanUbikOlivawRhesus PositiveDoodmannAshcroftTankHammerPenumbraMortal Sky
    It's just that "Active Danger" is a simulatenously vague yet alarming, warning to work with. That's not something you want to hear without context.

OlivawSageinaRageSatanIsMyMotorNaphtaliel_vicio
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    It's just that "Active Danger" is a simulatenously vague yet alarming, warning to work with. That's not something you want to hear without context.

It sounds like people are doing the best they can in messy situations and with an aim of protecting as many people as possible, and that ain't easy

I get the frustration, but when "saying more" could potentially cause harm with no guarantee of preventing it, there's not an easy out

WeedLordVegetaCelloStiltsOlivawMidniteZonugal
    Matt Rorie killed and ate four babies on a zoom call

replacewythyPwnanObrienCrippl3darunia106BucketmanOlivawturtleantMidniteDoodmannDark Raven X
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The Giant Bomb forums weren't /r/KotakuInAction but they were never exactly, well, this forum either. Even as recently as Abby's early days there were plenty of comment thread discussions about whether any non-Jeff/Ryan/Brad/Vinny Bomber was worthy of having a voice on the website, which was amplified any time it was a non-white dude.

WeedLordVegetaMaddocwebguy20EtheaStiltsBucketmanOlivawShadowfireMortal Sky
    One minor thing I can say that always made me laugh is that one time Matt Rorie locked a thread where people were arguing about a conversation Dan and abby had during a goty and assembling the worst strawman arguments possible, and he locked it by telling people to dm staff directly with their complaints

Incredible community interfacing

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

We've all been there, though

BahamutZERORhesus Positive
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    One minor thing I can say that always made me laugh is that one time Matt Rorie locked a thread where people were arguing about a conversation Dan and abby had during a goty and assembling the worst strawman arguments possible, and he locked it by telling people to dm staff directly with their complaints

Incredible community interfacing

Man must've been tough for Dan to receive all the complaints and vitriol and death threats

That's probably how that shook out, right

For the purposes of this post, I'm a newborn infant who doesn't know what the internet is or how it works

WeedLordVegetaSimBenCelloPeewiBucketmandarunia106KetBraPaperLuigi44OlivawMunkus BeaverShadowfireHappy Little MachineturtleantMidniteH0b0manNiryaRhesus PositiveDee KaeDoodmannDark Raven X
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The very very few and rare times I've looked at those parts of the site and seen a rorie post I...feel like I can understand what WLV is coming from. I don't know anything about it, but I feel like this is much more "rorie is a bad community admin" than anything else

Rorie was very good at customer service and backend work!

edited May 2021

It sounds like people are doing the best they can in messy situations and with an aim of protecting as many people as possible, and that ain't easy

I get the frustration, but when "saying more" could potentially cause harm with no guarantee of preventing it, there's not an easy out

And that's fair, but I'm still left with little to nothing to DO about without more context. (Which I'm not asking for now, I'm just trying to illustrate the point.) Like, my brain can't help but wonder how badly should I be judging Jeff and the rest of Giant Bomb for allowing this unspoken event or events to happen?

I don't know Weedlord enough to know how much his sensibilities align with mine. Is this something I'm even going to have a problem with? Is it something I would have MORE of a problem with than Weedlord? I'm not going to get an answer to these questions so I'm at a loss as to what I'm supposed to do about their warning, except maybe not get involved with the mods or community stuff, I guess?

Oh is that all? Kinda making a mountain out of a molehill there. Maybe if he killed and ate four babies on a Microsoft Teams call then I could see the beef.

Undead Scottsman on
    el_vicio
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    At one point a Giant Bomb forum mod got angry at Patrick Kleppek for his story about how woman in the industry felt about the fucking Dead Island mangled headless bikini statue. He was angry because there were no men interviewed for the piece.

WeedLordVegetaBucketmanTheySlashThemDark Raven XMortal Sky
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Why do you feel an expectation to do anything

PNk1Ml4.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    At one point a Giant Bomb forum mod got angry at Patrick Kleppek for his story about how woman in the industry felt about the fucking Dead Island mangled headless bikini statue. He was angry because there were no men interviewed for the piece.

I was actually just thinking about how Patrick Klepek was one of the first GB hires to really get a ton of shit in on-site threads and one of the big reasons was because he dared to bring these kinds of topics to the site. Which is kind of a big part of the answer to this question:

And that's fair, but I'm still left with little to nothing to DO about without more context. (Which I'm not asking for now, I'm just trying to illustrate the point.) Like, my brain can't help but wonder how badly should I be judging Jeff and the rest of Giant Bomb for allowing this unspoken event or events to happen?

GB was fairly criticized for not taking an active stance on GooberGrind and the resulting culture war until far too late. Moderation of the website is tied into that.

Doodmann
    We banned the head giant bomb mod from the waypoint discord very early on because he was being very aggressive arguing with queer people, lol

Also one of the other mods showed up when the forums launched to reiterate beef from the gb forums

edited May 2021
    -Tal wrote: »
    Why do you feel an expectation to do anything

Well the alternative to doing anything is to do nothing, in which case I might as well forget I ever read the post.

But I feel like I'm the lone person dragging the thread through this conversation so I'm just gonna drop it. Sorry everyone.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    like I appreciate that he looked at that stuff but I'm still incredibly amused? at the incredibly low bar Patrick passed to become known as the site's resident "SJW"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    WeedLordVegetaSimBenPwnanObrienadmanbBahamutZEROStiltsCrippl3OlivawMunkus BeaverShadowfireAistanturtleantH0b0manRhesus PositiveTheySlashThemDoodmanngtrmpMortal Sky
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

people get the pitchforks out over the littlest things lately I swear

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    WeedLordVegetaBahamutZEROBucketmandarunia106Crippl3Munkus BeaverMidniteNirya
    We all have our favorite funny moments from Giant Bomb, but what were some of your favorite serious (well, less laugh our loud funny) moments. I always loved Jeff's interview with Phil Spencer at E3 and I hope at least that continues to happen i the future.

Also special thanks for Jeff's 24 hour Extra Life stream back in 2016. It was shortly after the election and I'm not going to go to a hyperbolic "it saved my life" statement but I was at the lowest point I've ever been in my life and it was immeasurably valuable to have a friendly and familiar voice talk to me about videogames for a day.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Every story I hear about the moderation of other forums makes me appreciate this place more.

I'd be curious to hear what other people thought about GB's statement about Grumble Groot because I remember thinking at the time that it was pretty good and definitive but I didn't hear about anyone saying it was too late or anything, I was out of those loops.

Peen on
    BucketmanKyouguDoodmann
    edited May 2021
    like I appreciate that he looked at that stuff but I'm still incredibly amused? at the incredibly low bar Patrick passed to become known as the site's resident "SJW"

Honestly this is why I liked and still like Patrick

At the time he was writing that stuff it was still very much not covered by mainstream games journalism at all, and I was grateful fuckin' someone was making an effort to write about inclusivity

Obviously the mainstream games media is way more open to these kinds of discussion now, but back then there wasn't much to choose from, and someone choosing to withstand the harassment (which is of course less than anyone not a straight white male has gotten then or since) did mean something, to me

Cello on
    Steam
    BahamutZEROPwnanObrienDer Waffle MousakajaybayBucketmanOdinMunkus BeaverShadowfireAistanpookaJragghenRhesus PositiveTheySlashThemPenumbraMortal Sky
    Peen wrote: »
    Every story I hear about the moderation of other forums makes me appreciate this place more.

I'd be curious to hear what other people thought about GB's statement about Grumble Groot because I remember thinking at the time that it was pretty good and definitive but I didn't hear about anyone saying it was too late or anything, I was out of those loops.

And yeah I remember reading that post and wanting to read some goodwill into it because I liked Jeff and liked the site but it was... it was bad, and I could see that even then at the time, when it was so frustratingly late and the horses had left the barn what felt like a full decade before

I remember being very conflicted between my long-term fan of the site status and also, you know, being extremely aware of how shitty everything was and listening avidly to the podcast hoping they'd say something in support of the women/poc in their community and coming up short

Steam
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I would probably not put any place up on a pedestal, including the PA forums

BahamutZERO.gif
    miscellaneousinsanityDer Waffle MousCelloPwnanObrienCormacadmanbdarunia106OghulkAthenorwebguy20-TalStiltsOlivawMunkus BeaverSCREECH OF THE FARGvegeta_666ShadowfireturtleantSpeed RacerMidniteEtheanever dieJragghenWeedLordVegetaRhesus PositiveHadesSatanIsMyMotorZonugalTheySlashThemDee KaeexpendableTankHammerReynoldsNeveronel_vicioMortal Sky
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I have no personal interactions with Matthew Rorie but he sure says a lot of things that make him seem like an ignorant dipshit

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    turtleant
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    There was a UPF not that long ago where Rorie was visibly extremely drunk and upset following uh, bad events involving a friend of his and he sat through all of it ranting, being upset and apologizing and saying he shouldn’t be on

It was a rough one

sig.gif