As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] was a website about video games

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have no personal interactions with Matthew Rorie but he sure says a lot of things that make him seem like an ignorant dipshit

To be fair, as a former ignorant dipshit, we can get better with time

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    i'd say jeff gerstmann is consistently a coward on problems in the industry that go beyond a video game being bad

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Every story I hear about the moderation of other forums makes me appreciate this place more.

I'd be curious to hear what other people thought about GB's statement about Grumble Groot because I remember thinking at the time that it was pretty good and definitive but I didn't hear about anyone saying it was too late or anything, I was out of those loops.

Their statement sucked for two reasons.

1. It came way too late; like weeks late IIRC. Which is especially galling because the GG dipshits were holding up Jeff as some sort of icon due to his having been a victim of the sort of "ethics in games journalism" horseshit they were trying to use to obsfucate the harrassment campaign. To the point of people thinking that Jeff, as a straight cis-white male, also shared the rest of their bullshit beleifs. (I recall someone calling into one of his Live Drive shows to rail about SJW's killing saturday morning cartoons, thinking Jeff would agree with him and Jeff just shut the dude down, pointing the blame at the proliferation of videogames.)

2. The actual statement boiled down roughly to "These people are idiots, we don't want to give them and their dumbass opinions a seat at the discussion table so we should just ignore them." And then it basically went "The people being harrassed just need to tough it out until it it's over." Which, to give Jeff the full benefit of the doubt, he's likely seen a few harassment campaigns in his day and they eventually peter out until the next big outrage. Unfortunately it just showed how out of touch he was with what was actually going on with this particular campaign, which eventually became the frontrunner for the modern alt-right movement.

• Options
    what jeff didn't realize is that "in my experience these things eventually peter out" meant "eventually i don't personally see it anymore" and there is a big difference between what he, jeff gerstmann, sees and what other people see

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    i'd say jeff gerstmann is consistently a coward on problems in the industry that go beyond a video game being bad

I'd like to disagree with this more but he does consistently go soft or quiet on shit you'd like to hear the man get videogame angry about

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    WHEN SHENMUE HAS BAD FORKLIFT CONTROLS: :x :x :x

WHEN NAUGHTY DOG GRINDS HUMAN BEINGS INTO DUST: ah well ya know

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    those forklift controls sucked shit

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Thanks for the perspectives, I appreciate it. I know I was woefully ignorant of what was going on at the time and so I honestly thought it would blow over and the assholes would recede and what GB said made sense to me, but they were in a position to know more and do better and I'm sorry they didn't.

I don't think Jeff's gotten past the "I'm just a guy who talks about video games" mindset and I think he'd rather not engage with "issues" but he's got a major platform and profile and I think his heart's in the right place so I hope he gets more vocal about stuff once things get going again.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I don't know, it would be nice if jeff were to say those things but I'm not going to act like he owes it to us. his job is to be entertaining about video games, and he is. it's okay if someone doesn't want to be that kind of figure.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Hobnail wrote: »

I'd like to disagree with this more but he does consistently go soft or quiet on shit you'd like to hear the man get videogame angry about

The max temkin stuff last year really cemented that for me, when the core of the site's response was "yeah we quietly cut ties with him a long time ago so actually we're not to blame and don't really have any responsibility here"

Jeff built his reputation as a guy with a backbone who was willing to cut the shit and say the truth, even if it came at great personal cost to himself. I think that's a very respectable kind of person to be! But, like Tal said, over time he's revealed that that attitude is only for when a video game is bad, and not anywhere that it actually matters

I still like giant bomb a LOT. I got teary eyed listening to this bombcast. But after last year I don't particularly respect them like I used to. I sorta gave em a free pass with their bad GG response, but the way they handled the temkin situation demonstrated to me that they didn't really learn anything from that.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Hobnail wrote: »

The max temkin stuff last year really cemented that for me, when the core of the site's response was "yeah we quietly cut ties with him a long time ago so actually we're not to blame and don't really have any responsibility here"

Jeff built his reputation as a guy with a backbone who was willing to cut the shit and say the truth, even if it came at great personal cost to himself. I think that's a very respectable kind of person to be! But, like Tal said, over time he's revealed that that attitude is only for when a video game is bad, and not anywhere that it actually matters

I still like giant bomb a LOT. I got teary eyed listening to this bombcast. But after last year I don't particularly respect them like I used to. I sorta gave em a free pass with their bad GG response, but the way they handled the temkin situation demonstrated to me that they didn't really learn anything from that.

I do think this is also a reflection of the lack of diversity within the staff

Being the only woman on a team, even one that is cool and friendly, doesn't really make it easy to call shit out, especially as the team's rookie

Not that Abby is required to be the person to make that call/at fault, but it would have been more likely to be a discussion among staff as being something that ain't great if you had, like.....any other members of other identities on staff, really (aside from Jan of course)

Jeff's a guy who will back you up but not really someone who is comfortable saying "hey, we need to be real for a second"

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty over "videogame journalism" tbh

Like, most of the things that fall under videogame journalism I'd actually care to know about are related to the (horrible) business practices in the industry and those stories would be way better off being covered by actual investigative journalists and not a site who has to keep some kind of professional relationship with them to get review codes and shit.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not trying to give anyone a pass because I don't remember specifics but yes it possible that CBSi's lawyers told them not to talk about the Temkin stuff? Like, we like to think about Giant Bomb being scrappy upstarts but they were owned by a giant ass corporation for a minute there and they did have to play by their rules, even if they managed to avoid looking like it.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I'm not trying to give anyone a pass because I don't remember specifics but yes it possible that CBSi's lawyers told them not to talk about the Temkin stuff? Like, we like to think about Giant Bomb being scrappy upstarts but they were owned by a giant ass corporation for a minute there and they did have to play by their rules, even if they managed to avoid looking like it.

I don't think that excuse flies when Jeff's biggest claim to fame is deciding he'd rather get fired than be nice to a game that his bosses told him to

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Basically every cishet white dude in the games writing space that was in it at the time deserves to be shamed for how GG was handled.

Some of them deserve significantly more!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

I don't think that excuse flies when Jeff's biggest claim to fame is deciding he'd rather get fired than be nice to a game that his bosses told him to

It might if throwing your weight around might make keeping at least a half dozen friends employed during a pandemic difficult. It's also a bit different telling your cooperate masters to fuck off when you're single, young, and don't have kids... but when you have people who depend on you for their immediate survival, it might be a bit more difficult to take a stand.

I don't know. Myself I wouldn't make a stand at work that could potentially lose all of my coworkers their jobs and in actuality accomplish very very little in the long run.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

I think they had a very long time to confront the Temkin stuff and even if mid-pandemic was a bad time, the allegations were public for much longer, and they had a professional relationship with him which increases that obligation

It's very possible to make a statement that isn't going to get you sued but is still vague enough to say you support victim(s), this isn't an uncommon needle to thread (unfortunately)

(It's also possible to still like the GB crew and acknowledge they have fucked up in this realm repeatedly, I will add, and still demand they do better; they don't really need us to theorycraft excuses)

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    There's a reason why I've gravitated towards creators who actively call out their fanbase, whether it's obnoxious or toxic behaviour. If your response to the latter isn't at least "We don't support this, get the fuck out of this community if you can't be better" then you're being too soft.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I could be misremembering things, but I feel like Jeff's statement had less to do with the issue at hand and more to do with people claiming where Ryan would have stood on things and taking umbrage concerning that.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So, I figured it would be the case, but the Bombcast is gonna continue to happen throughout

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Absolute top #1 fucking priority for new hires is get someone who will hold the game industry’s feet to the fire

They haven’t had that since Austin left and they NEED it

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/CI-hHQGvaQE

I’ma smoke till I die

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/CI-hHQGvaQE

I’ma smoke till I die

this was the first Bombcast I ever listened to, I listened for years after that

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I never interacted with Rorie but this Weedlordvegeta just came out of nowhere one day replying incredibly rude to me and proceeded to talk shit about me to other forumers in a really condescending manner claiming to no longer have energy to be "empathetic" to me despite both of us not having ever interacted in a meaningful manner. This is also one of those folks who stalked forumers social media and reported to the mods as well as in the forums in here to get them banned.

I know WLV is well regarded and have a lot of friends and connections in here so I am going to be dogpiled and banned but this is my personal impression of the person, no longer going to return to this thread and reply. Goodbye.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It sounds like you could get great results out of using the 'ignore' button.

Like what does your post have to do with Giantbomb here? Your post combined with your signature seems like you're trying to write yourself a ticket to Bannedville.

If you actually think you're being harassed it's probably worth taking it up with a mod.

• Options
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I'm starting to remember why the GB thread was shut down in the first place

• Options
    We could also just, report and not engage and move on

sig.gif
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    So I wonder who's going to be on next week's bombcast.
    Jeff, Jeff, and maybe Danny?

Jeff with a few HR reps?

• Options

Jeff with a few HR reps?

Jeff, Jan, Jason, Jeff and Danny seems like it'll be the standard stable for a while now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    god everyone currently employed by Giant Bomb has a first name that starts with J huh

sig.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Jiant bomb

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I'll be interested to see how Jeff moves forward with Giant Bomb. I only occasionally watched/ listened to GB stuff. Always enjoyed it, but never closely followed. If he ends up putting together a new team with fresh perspectives (i.e. not entirely white middle aged guys) that could be really cool.

I am watching the P4 endurance run in the background right now which I hadn't seen before, and boy that fucking rules. The boys just got Hama'd out of nowhere for the first time, and the salt is real.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    https://www.reddit.com/r/giantbomb/comments/n5yjq0/jeff_talks_more_about_the_crew_leaving_and_the/

Someone posted this in the G&T thread, thought I would bring it over. Jeff talked about the situation and his feelings on it during his garage cleaning stream.

• Options
    Imagine how big the shoes will be to fill for the next 3 people Jeff hires

I mean I don't know why they kept Ben's shoes, give Ben his shoes back

sig.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

Jeff with a few HR reps?

Jeff already answered that on his tumblr

dtb5unmcb1uw.jpg

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Jeff has been the main draw for me for the last couple years anyways

rip aftermatj

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    I’m actually pretty excited to see Bakalar interact with Jeff and Danny

Also I want a Danny and Bakalar FIFA quick look lol

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I never interacted with Rorie but this Weedlordvegeta just came out of nowhere one day replying incredibly rude to me and proceeded to talk shit about me to other forumers in a really condescending manner claiming to no longer have energy to be "empathetic" to me despite both of us not having ever interacted in a meaningful manner. This is also one of those folks who stalked forumers social media and reported to the mods as well as in the forums in here to get them banned.

I know WLV is well regarded and have a lot of friends and connections in here so I am going to be dogpiled and banned but this is my personal impression of the person, no longer going to return to this thread and reply. Goodbye.

l1zydgx0lm10.jpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I grew increasingly uncomfortable with how Johnny V's drunken stupor became a comedy lynchpin of e3 nights but goddamn if I don't think about 'Hello Toronto, you're on the air' all the time