Options

🖥️🎮 - Live By the Sword Tactics & Out of Line out today!

13567101

Posts

  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

    BZRz5PRh.jpg
    lAZ3EVH.jpg

    TEXT:
    A Toronto esports bar has closed its doors for good, one of many arcade-style bars to be hit hard by the pandemic.

    The Hive, which was previously Raiders, threw a farewell bash on September 20.

    "It's been a hell of a ride and all good things must come to an end,
    unfortunately so must The Hive," reads a message on Facebook.

    "Thank you for being the core of our business by accepting esports, gaming and nerd-fandom into your lives with open arms. Come help drink The Hive dry and with dirt cheap prices."

    The 7000-square-foot venue was loaded with PCs, TVs and projectors and served food, beer and cocktails near St. Clair station.

    Capacity for the farewell event was capped at 100, hand sanitizer was provided, masks were mandatory and screenings were conducted at the door.

    https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2020/09/toronto-esports-centre-shuts-down/

    pour one out

  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I do like how Destiny 2 has been handling their Season Passes this year, they do one every three months and they each come with exclusive weapons, armor, and cosmetics. Also, you get unique missions, activities, and story content if you buy the pass, and while you cant progress the pass after the season ends you can still play the seasonal content and activities until next year. This means you can still earn the seasonal gear and rewards or catch up on any missions or story you missed.

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Just unlocked the perk that shows collectibles on the map in Youngblood. Oh no oh god oh no

  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I do like how Destiny 2 has been handling their Season Passes this year, they do one every three months and they each come with exclusive weapons, armor, and cosmetics. Also, you get unique missions, activities, and story content if you buy the pass, and while you cant progress the pass after the season ends you can still play the seasonal content and activities until next year. This means you can still earn the seasonal gear and rewards or catch up on any missions or story you missed.

    I'll be honest, but I dipped out of Destiny a while ago and this just sounds like an expansion, but worse?

    Like after a year the expansion just vanishes?

    Battle passes just feel like clinically designed FOMO machines, designed to trap you in that "gotta play every day" loop that they want you in.

  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I do like how Destiny 2 has been handling their Season Passes this year, they do one every three months and they each come with exclusive weapons, armor, and cosmetics. Also, you get unique missions, activities, and story content if you buy the pass, and while you cant progress the pass after the season ends you can still play the seasonal content and activities until next year. This means you can still earn the seasonal gear and rewards or catch up on any missions or story you missed.

    I'll be honest, but I dipped out of Destiny a while ago and this just sounds like an expansion, but worse?

    Like after a year the expansion just vanishes?

    Battle passes just feel like clinically designed FOMO machines, designed to trap you in that "gotta play every day" loop that they want you in.

    The large expansions are annual and do not go away. The Battle Pass system that Crippl3 is talking about is an optional continuing story, and actually as far as I am aware the quests/story stuff is something everyone can do. The battlepass just adds more items you get/xp boosts as you progress the levels. Like there is a top track and a bottom track, the top track is free. The Seasonal Content is a way to mix things up every three months.

    Unless they've changed how it worked since last year.

    cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    That reminds me, the next Destiny season looks pretty rad

    https://youtu.be/crKGHG3stbY

    Diarmuid on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I wish returnal wasn’t being sort of a trash fire technically and didn’t make some bad decisions that spawned the worst form of difficulty discourse yet.

    Because the game is actually really fucking fun if they’d just stop being silly and fix their save systems and a couple of balance issues. The combat feels very good.

  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    rhylith wrote: »
    I wish returnal wasn’t being sort of a trash fire technically and didn’t make some bad decisions that spawned the worst form of difficulty discourse yet.

    Because the game is actually really fucking fun if they’d just stop being silly and fix their save systems and a couple of balance issues. The combat feels very good.

    the save system issue honestly feels completely wild to me. That's an issue that difficult games have had solved for like, years and years.

    cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    I wish returnal wasn’t being sort of a trash fire technically and didn’t make some bad decisions that spawned the worst form of difficulty discourse yet.

    Because the game is actually really fucking fun if they’d just stop being silly and fix their save systems and a couple of balance issues. The combat feels very good.

    the save system issue honestly feels completely wild to me. That's an issue that difficult games have had solved for like, years and years.

    It’s real fuckin dumb and I hope they fix it.

    I’d say that when they do and the price drops a bit if folks like tough roguelikes they should definitely check it out. As it is right now I’m not kicking myself for buying it yet because I am very much enjoying my time with it, but I would be lying if I said I wasn’t frustrated with aspects of it.

    Also the patch fucking up progression saves yesterday is WOW.

  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I wish returnal wasn’t being sort of a trash fire technically and didn’t make some bad decisions that spawned the worst form of difficulty discourse yet.

    Because the game is actually really fucking fun if they’d just stop being silly and fix their save systems and a couple of balance issues. The combat feels very good.

    I'm curious about Returnal, but I'm def waiting until they stop putting out save-corrupting patches. And hopefully a save system that makes sense for adults with jobs and lives and partners who would also like to use the console sometimes

  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I wish returnal wasn’t being sort of a trash fire technically and didn’t make some bad decisions that spawned the worst form of difficulty discourse yet.

    Because the game is actually really fucking fun if they’d just stop being silly and fix their save systems and a couple of balance issues. The combat feels very good.

    I'm curious about Returnal, but I'm def waiting until they stop putting out save-corrupting patches. And hopefully a save system that makes sense for adults with jobs and lives and partners who would also like to use the console sometimes

    It’ll be a game I can comfortably recommend in about 3 months I’m guessing.

    Oh yeah the visuals and sound design are wild as hell. And the game is using nearly every single feature of that controller much like Astro’s Playroom. I guess not motion controls but that’s fine.

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's patently insane to me that a game released where runs can take multiple hours and there's no save system. That's not difficulty, that's just fuckin' stupid.

  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    It's patently insane to me that a game released where runs can take multiple hours and there's no save system. That's not difficulty, that's just fuckin' stupid.

    literally any ironman challenge system or other roguelike with the capability for longish runs uses the same damn thing. You can make a save, and only one save, and sometimes only in certain rooms. And when you save it quits you out so you can go back later, and deletes itself when you do. There we go, the case is solve-ed.

    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I do like how Destiny 2 has been handling their Season Passes this year, they do one every three months and they each come with exclusive weapons, armor, and cosmetics. Also, you get unique missions, activities, and story content if you buy the pass, and while you cant progress the pass after the season ends you can still play the seasonal content and activities until next year. This means you can still earn the seasonal gear and rewards or catch up on any missions or story you missed.

    I'll be honest, but I dipped out of Destiny a while ago and this just sounds like an expansion, but worse?

    Like after a year the expansion just vanishes?

    Battle passes just feel like clinically designed FOMO machines, designed to trap you in that "gotta play every day" loop that they want you in.

    The large expansions are annual and do not go away. The Battle Pass system that Crippl3 is talking about is an optional continuing story, and actually as far as I am aware the quests/story stuff is something everyone can do. The battlepass just adds more items you get/xp boosts as you progress the levels. Like there is a top track and a bottom track, the top track is free. The Seasonal Content is a way to mix things up every three months.

    Unless they've changed how it worked since last year.

    Yeah the large expansions don't go away, until another year or two down the line where the game is too big again and they just take away more shit you paid near full game price for

  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I really enjoy Returnal.

    Really precise movement and combat, some of the best sound design I've heard in a game, amazing atmosphere, and boss fights that are a ton of fun. Plus all the controller stuff it does.

    Which just makes the no mid-run save and exit even more confusing.

    When you first boot up the game it even tells you that if you want to take a break in the middle of a run you need to use the system rest feature. What they don't tell you is that auto-updates will close the game and kill your run. If the game crashes (which has happened to me once), your run is dead because there's no auto-save system. If your friend hits you up while you're mid-run and you want to play some other game with them or literally use your console for anything else while taking a break from Returnal, fuck you finish your run.

    Especially since a really good run can take 3+ hours. These are not bite sized runs like in Hades.

    edit- I've reached credits, but I'm going to wait for them to update the game with a save system before going back to find the post-credits secrets/ending.

    H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I do like how Destiny 2 has been handling their Season Passes this year, they do one every three months and they each come with exclusive weapons, armor, and cosmetics. Also, you get unique missions, activities, and story content if you buy the pass, and while you cant progress the pass after the season ends you can still play the seasonal content and activities until next year. This means you can still earn the seasonal gear and rewards or catch up on any missions or story you missed.

    I'll be honest, but I dipped out of Destiny a while ago and this just sounds like an expansion, but worse?

    Like after a year the expansion just vanishes?

    Battle passes just feel like clinically designed FOMO machines, designed to trap you in that "gotta play every day" loop that they want you in.

    So there's an intro quest that everyone can do, plus free players get some little taste of the seasonal activity as part of it. Free players can also earn some of the new weapons, and a set of the seasonal armor through the free version of the pass. For the upcoming season, free players can play the new activity for a week, but after that there will be weekly new missions, new story, and additions to the new activity that free players can not play without dropping $10 on the Pass.
    They're also adding new stuff that is free to everyone, namely Armor Synthesis, the game's version of armor transmog, aka making your armor look like any other armor (the way they're going about it is asinine though) plus the yearly free event, Solstice of Heroes.

  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    E3
    @E3
    Hope you’re getting hungry cause we’ve got more chefs in the kitchen for this year’s #E32021! Our newest additions: SQUARE ENIX, SEGA, BANDAI NAMCO, XSEED Games/Marvelous USA, Gearbox Entertainment, Freedom Games, Devious Eye Entertainment, Turtle Beach, Verizon & Binge dot com!
    Guarantee they're going to announce more Persona for PC now that I finally got a PlayStation so I could play P5R

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I thought E3 was dead

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    It's patently insane to me that a game released where runs can take multiple hours and there's no save system. That's not difficulty, that's just fuckin' stupid.

    literally any ironman challenge system or other roguelike with the capability for longish runs uses the same damn thing. You can make a save, and only one save, and sometimes only in certain rooms. And when you save it quits you out so you can go back later, and deletes itself when you do. There we go, the case is solve-ed.

    You can't even meaningfully save scum on a console game!

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Also a lot of games that have the sort of ironman challenge system will back themselves up or at the very least save at regular intervals. And roguelikes generally don't have multiple hour long runs.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    TEXT:
    Tomorrow, you’ll be able to play Skate City on Nintendo Switch @nintendoamerica, @PlayStation, @Xbox, @EpicGames and @Steam! Which platform are you hitting up first?
    Skate the streets of real-world, iconic destinations from around the globe. Master combos of flip tricks, manuals, and grinds to set high scores in challenge mode, or ride at your own pace with Endless Skate. Head over to the skate shop to customize your player & unlock everything else available!
    20210506 Skate City (Skating, Skateboarding, Sports 2.5d, Action)
    TEXT:
    arm Manager 2021 - new on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1123830 ($17.99)
    Get ready for a logistic challenge in the new and even better Farm Manager 2021! Plan your field work according to the seasons, look after the animals, take care of machines and staff satisfaction and react to the changing weather.
    20210506 Farm Manager 2021 (Simulation, Strategy, Indie, Agriculture, Casual)

  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I like the vibes of Skate City, but when the skating looks floaty and weird even in the trailer...

  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Every once in a while now I'll get on a CCG kick. spend a month or two on Magic or Runeterra. But I spent a few years playing a crapload of Hearthstone, but it was the whole seasonal FOMO angle that made it pretty clear to me that if I was gonna stop playing Hearthstone for a while, then I was probably never going to go back to it again. They had it built in a way where if you kept up every week you could get pretty much the stuff you needed to be able to play the game reliably. But it has fairly tight card pools, and if you don't have enough in game gold saved up by the time new stuff rolls around, you're going to be missing important stuff, and their $$ to cards to buy in is dumb expensive. So I found myself playing out of obligation to keep u, it started to feel lik ea chore. So then it was just kind of, I guess I'm done with Hearthstone.

    The card flow is generous enough in other games that I don't feel like it's too much trouble to drop back in or have full draft play where my collection doesn't matter to the same degree.
    With Magic the card pool is just so wide that you can usually come up with something that works even if it's not the new shit.

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

    FREE THIS WEEK: Evergreen tree

    Welcome to Albamare, a seamless open world to explore, filled to the brim with secrets, puzzles and collectibles.

    Claim Pine by
    @Twirlbound
    for FREE on the Epic Games Store until May 13: https://epicgames.com/store/p/pine

    NEXT WEEK:

    kTe2OTR.jpg

    The Lion's Song
    Free May 13 - May 20

  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    even nethack has a save system and that's a roguelike from 1988. it's really not difficult

    and it's a single player game who gives a fuck if someone duplicates their save file or whatever

  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i'd be way into returnal but normal humans cannot buy a ps5

  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I like the vibes of Skate City, but when the skating looks floaty and weird even in the trailer...

    Based on having played this on apple arcade, it's not a skating game the same way that, say, True Skate is, it's much more like an endless runner with more complicated ways of jumping, that just happen to also match up to skating moves. It's good, but it's "a skating game" the same way that Alto's Odyssey is "a snowboarding game".

  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    fuckin, Rogue itself in 85 let you save your game

    if you have to put out a twitter post telling people to disconnect your console so it doesn't patch the game if you want to save your current run, maybe just maybe that's a sign your design decisions are fuckin whack

    edit: correction, first release of rogue came out in 1980, ya'll have no excuses

    Zxerol on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    i wonder how far you could escalate this

    save wherever-you-want
    save only at checkpoints or spend a resource to save
    save only on quit, one save file only
    no save at all, beat the game in one sitting or start over
    no save and whenever you die it also deletes a save from some other game on your system
    no save and it also connects to the internet and gives someone else a game over, everybody loses
    no save and it also connects to the internet and lets everyone know that you ruined their game and tells them where you live

  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    even nethack has a save system and that's a roguelike from 1988. it's really not difficult

    and it's a single player game who gives a fuck if someone duplicates their save file or whatever

    I lost...I think an Iron Man XCOM campaign because the electricity blinked and if you force-quit the game it would delete your save.

    That seemed like an excessive approach to prevent people from spoiling their own fun.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i wonder how far you could escalate this

    no save and it also connects to the internet and gives someone else a game over, everybody loses

    I could swear there was a "game" that did something similar to that the first time someone completed it.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i wonder how far you could escalate this

    no save and it also connects to the internet and gives someone else a game over, everybody loses

    I could swear there was a "game" that did something similar to that the first time someone completed it.

    Sounds like some Jason Rohrer stunt

  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i wonder how far you could escalate this

    save wherever-you-want
    save only at checkpoints or spend a resource to save
    save only on quit, one save file only
    no save at all, beat the game in one sitting or start over
    no save and whenever you die it also deletes a save from some other game on your system
    no save and it also connects to the internet and gives someone else a game over, everybody loses
    no save and it also connects to the internet and lets everyone know that you ruined their game and tells them where you live

    If you die in the game you die in real life

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    i wonder how far you could escalate this

    save wherever-you-want
    save only at checkpoints or spend a resource to save
    save only on quit, one save file only
    no save at all, beat the game in one sitting or start over
    no save and whenever you die it also deletes a save from some other game on your system
    no save and it also connects to the internet and gives someone else a game over, everybody loses
    no save and it also connects to the internet and lets everyone know that you ruined their game and tells them where you live

    If you die in the game you die in real life

    if you die in the game multiple other people die in real life

  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    gonna die over and over on purpose to become a mass murderer.

    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    gonna die over and over on purpose to become a mass murderer.

    5TIUiIB.jpg

  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021

    Are you a furry artist? we look to commission some artists, big and small, for the release of our game, Backbone!

    please reply with your work or accounts you like! (no NSFW please)

    Brolo on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i wonder how far you could escalate this

    no save and it also connects to the internet and gives someone else a game over, everybody loses

    I could swear there was a "game" that did something similar to that the first time someone completed it.

    Cruel World, an indie game where every time someone uses a save point, it makes it more difficult for any other player to use that save point.

    It was designed to be more or less unplayable about 24 hours after release, but the article talks about ways that the community has tried to preserve it.

This discussion has been closed.