Options

🖥️🎮 - Live By the Sword Tactics & Out of Line out today!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    i wonder how far you could escalate this

save wherever-you-want
    save only at checkpoints or spend a resource to save
    save only on quit, one save file only
    no save at all, beat the game in one sitting or start over
    no save and whenever you die it also deletes a save from some other game on your system
    no save and it also connects to the internet and gives someone else a game over, everybody loses
    no save and it also connects to the internet and lets everyone know that you ruined their game and tells them where you live
    You can save your game, but to do so you have to mail your entire PS5 - with the game actively running, better hope you have a big enough portable battery pack - to the devs, and the devs have to connect to the PS5 and manually extract the save game data from memory.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Look we know it's cumbersome but we were close to the deadline, there was a manual workaround, and so this got deprioritized in the scrum meeting, OK?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Finally started playing Horizon Zero Dawn as the next game on the backlog list.
    Oh, Aloy are you a clone?

...oh yes, the game hasn't outright said it yet but you are 100% a clone.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    It's patently insane to me that a game released where runs can take multiple hours and there's no save system. That's not difficulty, that's just fuckin' stupid.

literally any ironman challenge system or other roguelike with the capability for longish runs uses the same damn thing. You can make a save, and only one save, and sometimes only in certain rooms. And when you save it quits you out so you can go back later, and deletes itself when you do. There we go, the case is solve-ed.
    I mean, neither Spelunky game has it, and Enter the Gungeon only added it post release. Which isn't to say I disagree, the game does need it, however I also feel comparing the complexity of saving the state of the game world in a 1980 game and a 2021 game either wildly misunderstands the complexity of the task or is downplaying it way too much.

Anyone play the Rise of the Triad remake? That didn't have mid-level saves at the start, put them in later and they were broken as fuck for a while. Properly storing and restoring the state of a complex game world is a non-trivial challenge. Again, in this case it should have been done, however it's not a "solved" problem any more that good gunfeel isn't one, just because one game has it doesn't mean everyone else can now go "oh, that's how it's done, easy", it's a lot of additional work that they didn't prioritise for release (and have already said will be putting in in a future patch).

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Donnicton wrote: »

I fucking adore the lore in this game. I love how you slowly uncover what caused the collapse of humanity with descriptions that are all the better for not being shown and just described, so your imagination can run wild.

Spoilers for details about the collapse so don’t click if you’re early on
    I love that it’s basically never said that the robots became self aware. They technically just made a program that couldn’t be cracked or turned off. Like it’s not like skynet where the robots are attacking humanity out of a self aware sense of preemptive defense, they’re basically just following their original programming with a glitch causing it to maximally engage the reproduction aspect. So presumably if they took over the earth they’d just shutdown after all biomatter was exhausted. Which is so much creepier than a sentient Ai.

That and the fact that the only way to beat it was to crack the code, which would take the supercomputer decades to do, and by that point humanity would’ve been consumed. I love that shit

Prohass on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    RckRSeR.png

it might be the most "wow this is neat and obviously took a lot of effort and god I hate how it looks" one of these I've seen so far

the huge difference between the lighting and texture quality is really freaking me out

also the whole thing where a bunch of terrain textures are animated with 6fps animations for, like, fire effects and then mario is there moving at that weird "interpolated to 60fps" way

Lalabox on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Awww man. I've been watching a bunch of Chivalry 2 gameplay and I wants it.

But it's EGS for a year.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    TEXT:
    Resident Evil Village - New
    Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1196590
    $79.99 #gaming
    Experience survival horror like never before in the 8th major installment in the Resident Evil franchise - Resident Evil Village. With detailed graphics, intense first-person action and masterful storytelling, the terror has never felt more realistic.
    20210507 Resident Evil Village (Sexual Content, Survival Horror, First-Person)

TEXT:
    Papetura - new on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/593640 ($10.79)
    Papetura is an atmospheric point & click adventure game, handcrafted entirely out of paper. Little creatures Pape and Tura will face monsters that will try to burn down their beloved paper world.
    20210507 Papetura (Point & Click, Atmospheric, Stylized, Relaxing)

TEXT:
    If you want to get ahead at FERIOS, you'll have to show your colleagues what success looks like

It should look like you owning a bunch of stuff and a nice place to keep it all

Wishlist The Invisible Hand, coming May 7
    📈 http://bit.ly/TIHSteam
    Want to get rich, quick? Welcome to FERIOS, where you’ll be empowered to pursue wealth and success as a mid-level stockbroker! Your wildest dreams of wealth can come true… at the cost of everything else.
    20210507 The Invisible Hand (Simulation, Indie, Strategy, Economy, Satire)
    TEXT:
    NONGUNZ, THE CURSED GAME, IS COMING THIS WEEK 💀

For each ❤️ we will tell you a personal or professional TRAGEDY since we started developing it.

WISHLIST ON STEAM: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1304780/Nongunz_Doppelganger_Edition/
    Nongunz is a roguelite action-platformer. Battle grotesque creatures, kill quickly to maintain your combo meter, and rescue worshipers to become part of your idle army to buy upgrades.
    20210507 Nongunz (Action Roguelike, Roguevania, Local Co-Op, 2d)

TEXT:
    Marble World on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/1491340/ - OMG
    Marble World on Steam
    Marble World is a physics sandbox simulator with marbles. Create your own marble races, runs and machines. Customize a variety of tracks, decorations and marbles to create a beautiful world.
    20210507 Marble World EA (God Game, Base Building, Physics, Sandbox)

Brolo on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    For each ❤️ we will tell you a personal or professional TRAGEDY since we started developing it.

what the fuck

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

what the fuck

r5Yja2c.jpg

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    It's patently insane to me that a game released where runs can take multiple hours and there's no save system. That's not difficulty, that's just fuckin' stupid.

literally any ironman challenge system or other roguelike with the capability for longish runs uses the same damn thing. You can make a save, and only one save, and sometimes only in certain rooms. And when you save it quits you out so you can go back later, and deletes itself when you do. There we go, the case is solve-ed.
    I mean, neither Spelunky game has it, and Enter the Gungeon only added it post release. Which isn't to say I disagree, the game does need it, however I also feel comparing the complexity of saving the state of the game world in a 1980 game and a 2021 game either wildly misunderstands the complexity of the task or is downplaying it way too much.

Anyone play the Rise of the Triad remake? That didn't have mid-level saves at the start, put them in later and they were broken as fuck for a while. Properly storing and restoring the state of a complex game world is a non-trivial challenge. Again, in this case it should have been done, however it's not a "solved" problem any more that good gunfeel isn't one, just because one game has it doesn't mean everyone else can now go "oh, that's how it's done, easy", it's a lot of additional work that they didn't prioritise for release (and have already said will be putting in in a future patch).

Exact point in time save states are hard, but with roguelites being procedurally generated, a checkpoint system based on state when you enter the room is much easier.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    As someone who took a whole damn week just to replicate Pong, I am aware that making game shit is hard.

I am also not super receptive of the idea that a 70 dollar ass game can't technologically provide a solved ass problem. If providing a save is too difficult, then that is a design and engineering issue you should have considered from the very start.

• Options
  • Options

(mass effect legendary edition contents)

guess these are starting to show up

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210505006066/en/

EA just bought Metalhead Software, the creators of Super Mega Baseball, to be part of EA Sports

:(

Maaaaan, I was JUST talking SMB3 up to a friend while discussing good sports games that weren't official products, too.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

https://www.pcgamesn.com/judgment/lost-judgment-pc
    “We do not have plans to bring Lost Judgment to PC at this time,” a Sega representative tells us via email. The game is due to launch globally (a pleasant surprise for the series) on September 24, 2021 for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and the newer Xbox Series consoles

BOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

I fucking adore the lore in this game. I love how you slowly uncover what caused the collapse of humanity with descriptions that are all the better for not being shown and just described, so your imagination can run wild.

I love that it’s basically never said that the robots became self aware. They technically just made a program that couldn’t be cracked or turned off. Like it’s not like skynet where the robots are attacking humanity out of a self aware sense of preemptive defense, they’re basically just following their original programming with a glitch causing it to maximally engage the reproduction aspect. So presumably if they took over the earth they’d just shutdown after all biomatter was exhausted. Which is so much creepier than a sentient Ai.

That and the fact that the only way to beat it was to crack the code, which would take the supercomputer decades to do, and by that point humanity would’ve been consumed. I love that shit

Yeah I loved uncovering every piece of information you could, apart from Control I can't think of another game where I actually wanted to track down all the lore collectibles.

Can't see how the sequel will capture the same feeling.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Yeah I loved uncovering every piece of information you could, apart from Control I can't think of another game where I actually wanted to track down all the lore collectibles.

Can't see how the sequel will capture the same feeling.

It's the primary concern I have about it. For how much I love HZD a huge percentage of that is the discovery of what the world actually is. With that gone HFW has to have the "present day" stuff carry all the weight, and honestly in HZD those were some of the least interesting parts. Like, it will have to have an actually interesting antagonist at the very least.

Aistan on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

If I recall this is exactly what happens, the Faro plague consumes the totality of the biosphere and Earth is a dead rock, the plague switches off and the bunker AI reseeds the biosphere

Hobnail on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Okay so RE Village is not actually $80, it's just that for some reason the default way to purchase it is bundled with RE7

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Having watched that Giant Bomb...last Giant Bomb?....quick look of RE8 it looks good as fuck

Also god damn I tried Disco Elsyium again since that 'working class update' which appears to have taken the game from about 10 FPS to hard lock and crash before even displaying anything, I'm sure optimisation is a pain in the ass for the benefit of who fucking cares but holy moly this game doesnt even look like anything

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    what kind of fucking potato do you try to play your games on, Hob?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Russet, natch.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Wrong damn thread.

Aistan on
  • Options
    It can play Hades! More or less! Hades looks cool!

Maybe not with the settings I use....

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    When I started Disco Elysium it would freeze on the loading screen during startup. Did a graphics driver update and computer restart and it started working.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    DE takes a very long time to load to the menu on startup for my bad computer, a feels like it's frozen and you're going to need to force quit it sort of affair

After that it's generally fine though

• Options

We have a new beta ready! It's the first act of the game, and our first showing of actual story and dialogue!

Signing up is just one button this time, here's how: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1043810/view/3056231728247903796

And here's a new 7-minute explainer trailer: https://youtube.com/watch?v=L3DbP04LFPU

RTs appreciated!
    Tactical Breach Wizards - Act One beta trailer
    Wishlist: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1043810/Tactical_Breach_Wizards/Get in on the beta: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1043810/announcements/detai...
    youtube.com
    Is Jen not a cop anymore?
    That's right, she's a private investigator now. Jen's the one we previously referred to as 'Witch Cop', though she was an ex-cop from the moment the game began. There's never been a version of the game where your team are working for any kind of enforcement organisation, but the name and look of that character were making it hard to get that across.

The cop version of her story had other problems: if her issues with her department had no bearing on real world ones, it felt evasive and uncritical. If they did relate to real world issues, it became an unpleasantly real reminder of traumatic stuff that felt out of place with the lighter elements of the game.

So in the latest draft of the story, she's a PI who's never worked for the police, and she has a new backstory about how she got into that line of work. The job change affects a few things about where she is emotionally at the start of the game, but aside from that she's the same character: the one you don't know or love because we never actually showed any story stuff before now.

Obviously there's been a million other changes, but since this one relates to something visible, we thought it was worth giving the full context for it.

Tactical Breach Wizards has a closed beta going on that you can request an invite to.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e90bHzTVpfA
    How many educational games can you think of that are as beautiful as Little Mouse's Encyclopedia? Whether you're playing with the family or just exploring the cozy world on your own, "you will learn about countless species of animals and plants in their natural habitats..." https://littlemousesencyclopedia.circ...​ #nintendoswitch​ #nintendo​ #xboxone​

https://littlemousesencyclopedia.circusatos.com/

and here's a game about a mouse encyclopedia

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7p6nB4PqUs
    Girls' Frontline 2: Exilium is a XCOM-like, Battle Chess, Strategy Mobile/PC game.
    GFL2 happens 10 years after the events of the original GFL. The Commander, who had retired from G&K due to political reasons, was once again caught in a conspiracy related to the "relics”. He is brought back to the battlefield as a Bounty Hunter.
    Closed Beta 1 will start in June 2021.

it's uh... a xcom game with sword wielding anime girls

coming to mobile and PC

• Options
    Yeah 'political reasons'

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Finally, a good xcom game

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    it's uh... a xcom game with sword wielding anime girls

That's just XCOM 2 if you're doing it right

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    does it have an avatar countdown

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jars wrote: »
    does it have an avatar countdown

even better, it's probably got slot machine microtransactions to get characters

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Was Girls Frontline the one where to fight a robot uprising they had almost no actual military equipment but did have a factory with an abundance of empty sex doll androids that they could download combat programs into?

I could did the research to find out but I kinda want to believe this is the origin story of GFL

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Good on Tom Francis. So instead of "Witch Cop", she's now a PI, which would make her a... oh. Oh.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Yakuza 0 is $5 on Steam

Everyone play Yakuza 0

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yakuza 0 is $5 on Steam

Everyone play Yakuza 0

It's also on Gamepass.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular