Options

🖥️🎮 - Live By the Sword Tactics & Out of Line out today!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    resident evil is interesting to me because it's one of the most direct "AAA company responds to small-scale indie trends" in a while

resident evil 7 and 8 doesn't exist without Outlast, without Slender

Arguably none of those exist without Amnesia.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah Amnesia is the first one I think of in the "Survival horror but you can't fight back" genre, although I guess you could trace it back to Clock Tower I feel like Amnesia's popularity draws a much cleaner line to when all the rest of those titles started coming out

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    resident evil is interesting to me because it's one of the most direct "AAA company responds to small-scale indie trends" in a while

resident evil 7 and 8 doesn't exist without Outlast, without Slender

Arguably none of those exist without Amnesia.

yeah but i got bored of typing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Amnesia's a pretty forgettable game, iyam.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Resident evil is and always has been very dumb as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xuXkVzBdJQ

I knew RE was some bullshit but why is this guy in an active volcano and how is he in an active volcano without combusting into a whiff of ash and Axe body spray.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The axe body spray is what's protecting him. It's like you didn't even watch the commercials.

It's just too bad about all those women running to him and falling in the lava.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah, rip

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I knew RE was some bullshit but why is this guy in an active volcano and how is he in an active volcano without combusting into a whiff of ash and Axe body spray.

t-virus

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    It could be bioweapons, or a curse, or the biocurse

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I dunno what you're talking about Madican, he's standing on the rock instead of the lava so he's fine

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah Amnesia is the first one I think of in the "Survival horror but you can't fight back" genre, although I guess you could trace it back to Clock Tower I feel like Amnesia's popularity draws a much cleaner line to when all the rest of those titles started coming out

Amnesia followed the Penumbra series, also made by Frictional. If you haven't played them I recommend it. Penumbra 1 is spoooooooky.

Edit: I guess technically it's Penumbra 2, because the first one is just a tech demo. The first proper game is called Penumbra: Overture.

Edit 2: Disclaimer that it might not actually be as spooky as I remember it, it's been a long time.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, i started playing re8 on survival, and i think i'm just about to hit double digits for how many times i've died in this first escape/survival bit

it really doesn't help that the guides are "i dunno what triggers it but just keep on running around until a cutscene plays"

super unclear what to do, and i just keep on going down in 2 hits or so

this is incredibly frustrating

• Options
    I generally recommend playing games on a difficulty that is enjoyable to you, whatever that may be

(Anecdotally I have heard the first encounter is inordinately difficult compared to much of the rest of the game)

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I want to play a space sim in the vein of the ancient game Privateer. I've tried Elite Dangerous, and it is really more complicated than I want to invest my time in.

Are there any good space flight sims that aren't learn how to fly an actual spaceship complicated?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Checked out Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    It could be bioweapons, or a curse, or the biocurse

The Ultimate Bio Weapon

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I want to play a space sim in the vein of the ancient game Privateer. I've tried Elite Dangerous, and it is really more complicated than I want to invest my time in.

Are there any good space flight sims that aren't learn how to fly an actual spaceship complicated?

I don't play open space sims too often, mainly for the same reason - they're either no good, perpetually in Early Access or the devs like to make them inaccessibly arcane. But I know a few offhand that might be worth taking a look at or keeping an eye on.

Everspace 2 promises to be more accessible open roaming space sim versus its roguelike prequel, though it's fairly early access still.

I've heard some promising things about Between the Stars, but that is also pretty early access.

This is top-down as opposed to a more direct sim but Endless Sky is solid and best of all it's free.

Starpoint Gemini games are pretty hit or miss, the developers tend to have a very specific vision that doesn't always resonate with everyone. But Starpoint Gemini Warlords is currently 80% off so hey may as well take a look.

I know absolutely nothing about this as I literally just saw it on the store, but Evochron Legacy SE looks like that special kind of indie jank combined with somehow Very Positive Steam reviews that makes me think there might be something good there.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Thanks, guys! Looks like I'm checking out Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, Starpoint Gemini Warlords and Evochron Legacy SE.

Actually, after checking out the trailer, I might try Between the Stars also.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The RE series feels like the Deadspace franchise on repeat. Start with a spooky game, make it more and more an action title to appeal to the masses (plus, pacing an action game is far easier) until it gets too dumb and people lose interest, reboot and repeat.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    At least Resident Evil is still going.

*pours one out for Dead Space*

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    eh.

those doors/elevators in DS3 were the worst loading screens/elevators ever. you think the old mass effect elevator was bad, but no, that's one frigging elevator! anyone can deal with a single one, but there's just SO MANY in DS3 and they're always RIGHT after one another too!

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    The RE series feels like the Deadspace franchise on repeat. Start with a spooky game, make it more and more an action title to appeal to the masses (plus, pacing an action game is far easier) until it gets too dumb and people lose interest, reboot and repeat.

Eh, I feel like Dead Space 2 was a pretty neat follow-up to 1, in an Alien to Aliens kind of way. 3's problems weren't really the fault of being actiony, more just poor pacing, a bizarrely out-of-place love triangle plot, and a lack of mechanical balance. Plus the microtransactions.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I'm not saying they got bad because they got more action-focused (though that's certainly a direction that made them less interesting to me personally), I'm saying they got more action focused and got bad.

Glal on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Dead Space 2 was just as good, if not better than 1

That intro sequence ruled

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm not saying they got bad because they got more action-focused (though that's certainly a direction that made them less interesting to me personally), I'm saying they got more action focused and got bad.
    They really fucked up making the better experience as Carver (and not letting you choose which character to play as), and then locking the actually-good ending behind paid DLC.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I will say watching ol SuperGreatFriends stream of the game Ethan a serious fucking drip man like sheer nothingness

Imagine the exact same game but it's Joe Baker. Why? Why not, he met Mia and it really worked out who cares, Joe Baker

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    so, i started playing re8 on survival, and i think i'm just about to hit double digits for how many times i've died in this first escape/survival bit

it really doesn't help that the guides are "i dunno what triggers it but just keep on running around until a cutscene plays"

super unclear what to do, and i just keep on going down in 2 hits or so

this is incredibly frustrating

that first section sucks ass

i'd heard that the default difficulty was a little easy and if you wanted it to be challenging you should play on hardcore, so i did that

i spent like 90 minutes dying over and over on that encounter

the next day i restarted on normal and I lived like, 20 seconds longer than I had on my best hardcore run, and for some reason when it looked like I was gonna die that time I got a cutscene instead

it's a terrible first impression, made even worse by the fact that you can see how they're kind of trying to invoke the village encounter at the start of RE4. That is not a comparison most games want to invite.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Dying on an early point of a game where they think you can't possibly fail is an incredibly bad look.

I'm looking at you Mass Effect 3. I had tons of problems that kept me from ever finishing the game but getting brained by a slow mo robot body twice near the start of the game did it no favors.

Karoz on
  • Options
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/overgrowth-developer-felt-he-had-no-choice-in-filing-antitrust-suit-against-valve
    In a new blog post published May 6th, Wolfire Games co-founder David Rosen writes that he felt he had "no choice" in bringing the suit, after Valve told him "that they would remove Overgrowth from Steam if I allowed it to be sold at a lower price anywhere."
    "When new video game stores were opening that charged much lower commissions than Valve, I decided that I would provide my game "Overgrowth" at a lower price to take advantage of the lower commission rates. I intended to write a blog post about the results," he writes.

"But when I asked Valve about this plan, they replied that they would remove Overgrowth from Steam if I allowed it to be sold at a lower price anywhere, even from my own website without Steam keys and without Steam’s DRM. This would make it impossible for me, or any game developer, to determine whether or not Steam is earning their commission."

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I can absolutely recommend Rebel Galaxy Outlaw if you want more Privateer. It is basically the Super Metroid to Privateer's Metroid. It is so damn good.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Outlaw also has just the best main menu screen to chill at.

• Options
    Is it good then? I've heard nothing but criticism of that game (and I really dug the original), the Steam reviews raise a lot of balance complaints.

• Options
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/overgrowth-developer-felt-he-had-no-choice-in-filing-antitrust-suit-against-valve
    In a new blog post published May 6th, Wolfire Games co-founder David Rosen writes that he felt he had "no choice" in bringing the suit, after Valve told him "that they would remove Overgrowth from Steam if I allowed it to be sold at a lower price anywhere."
    "When new video game stores were opening that charged much lower commissions than Valve, I decided that I would provide my game "Overgrowth" at a lower price to take advantage of the lower commission rates. I intended to write a blog post about the results," he writes.

"But when I asked Valve about this plan, they replied that they would remove Overgrowth from Steam if I allowed it to be sold at a lower price anywhere, even from my own website without Steam keys and without Steam’s DRM. This would make it impossible for me, or any game developer, to determine whether or not Steam is earning their commission."

I'm confused, Steam states outright that if you sell elsewhere at a lower price that it will be delisted from Steam. Wouldn't you just compare the numbers of new sales/profit vs your time on Steam and see which is more profitable?

I'm not sure how you would need it to be concurrent in order to prove Steam is "earning their commission" which is up in the air what that even means.

But then I'm not a lawyer.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Doing some slight backtracking in re8 this evening.

Didn’t realize you can’t go back to the castle once you leave it and left the most valuable treasures behind.

Thankfully I’m only really losing the boss fight and about 10 minutes.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

chris is very strong

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Karoz wrote: »

I'm confused, Steam states outright that if you sell elsewhere at a lower price that it will be delisted from Steam. Wouldn't you just compare the numbers of new sales/profit vs your time on Steam and see which is more profitable?

I'm not sure how you would need it to be concurrent in order to prove Steam is "earning their commission" which is up in the air what that even means.

According to the article Steam states you can't sell Steam keys elsewhere at a lower price than on Steam itself (and according to the lawyer, Steam doing it carte blanche is illegal, whether or not They State It).

Re: commission, the idea was to offer the game for the price of "developer profit" + "platform commission" and see whether or not Steam sales still resulted in more total copies sold, unit for unit (with both of them resulting in the same profit for the developer, but being cheaper for the consumer off-Steam).
    If it's still unclear, offer a 10 dollar game for $13 on Steam, $11.2 (or whatever EGS's rate is) on EGS, both of which result in the same profit for the developer, and see whether or not Steam outsells EGS, even at a higher price.

It's also secondary to the lawsuit, that's just why they wanted to try it in the first place.

Glal on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    If Marvel vs Capcom 3 is to be believed it's possible for Chris to knock out the Hulk with his bare fist.

Also Galactus.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

That's what the anti-trust lawsuit is about, Karoz. Steam's agreement says that they can't sell Steam keys on a competing service for less than what they are sold on Steam, but the lawsuit says that Steam is telling the developer that they can't sell it for a lower price anywhere even if that is not a Steam version being sold, even if it's a DRM-free version.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Is it good then? I've heard nothing but criticism of that game (and I really dug the original), the Steam reviews raise a lot of balance complaints.

It's very different from the first game. Freelancer is the most similar game I've played.

While I enjoyed it, I didn't finish Outlaw because it just didn't give you much to work toward. I had nearly the best ship and equipment in what felt like the first third of the game (I looked it up online to make sure more things didn't unlock later). There aren't enough ships, guns, shields, commodities, etc. It felt like Diet Freelancer.

This discussion has been closed.