Options

🖥️🎮 - Live By the Sword Tactics & Out of Line out today!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Zam wrote: »
    The Steam demos that caught my attention:

Wolfstride: Turn-based, anime-styled Robot Jox. Also your team's pilot is named Knife Leopard.

Goblin Stone: It has a charming hand-illustrated storybook look to it. Gameplay-wise it puts a lot of stuff in a blender and it mostly works. You've got an XCOM-like ant-farm-style base. Exploration and combat are mostly Darkest Dungeon (complete with narrator), with a little bit of Slay the Spire -- the actions your goblins have available on their turn are drawn at random from those available to their class. The twist is that party order and initiative order are the same. The guy in front goes first, and after he takes his turn, he moves toward the back of the line. Each move has an energy cost, and that determines how far back they move in the turn order. This goes for both your goblins, and the enemies. It puts a lot of value on moves that cause knockback, because repositioning an enemy is equivalent to delaying their turn.

Ooo I gotta give both of these a look

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    More demos!

Norco: I quit the demo early because it's fucking great! Every time I play a bad adventure game I think... do I hate adventure games? And then I play something like this where the controls make sense, the writing is excellent, and the setting is intriguing and realize yes I do often like adventure games.

Death Trash: Also quit early because I 100% want this. Weird fleshy apocalypse RPG with straightforward but fun combat and a wonderfully odd setting. Also has solid writing!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yeah I dont want to touch Death Trash until it's out

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    TEXT:
    Uh-oh what-oh, did we say one more day? 'Cause ENDER LILIES comes out TODAY on Steam and Switch. 🎉 Get ready to set off on your journey with Lily and the Umbral Knight with this illustration from #EnderLilies concept and cutscene artist Ayumi Yamada. #gamenews
    "ENDER LILIES is a dark fantasy 2D action RPG about unraveling the mysteries of a destroyed kingdom. On this sorrowful journey, encounter horrific enemies against whom a moment of inattention could be fatal. Overcome these hardships and seek the truth with the help of fallen knights.
    20210622 Ender Lillies (Metroidvania, Female Protagonist, Souls-like 2d)
    TEXT:
    Content Creators, Super Magbot launches tomorrow!

Get yourself some challenging 2D platforming goodness with a twist, no jumping!

😂 You'll laugh & holler!
    😈 There'll be satisfaction & rage!
    🎼 Also the music is banging...

Request a Switch/Steam key: http://bit.ly/SupMagKeys
    A precise 2D platformer with a twist. NO JUMPING. Master your magnetic powers to beat each level with speed and skill. Enjoy classic 16-bit gaming vibes, tackle challenging achievements and compete for global leaderboard supremacy along the way.
    20210622 Super Magbot (Action, Pixel Graphics, Adventure, Retro)
    TEXT:
    LEGO® Builder’s Journey is coming to
    ● #Windows PCs ( RayTracing and #DLSS)
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1544360/LEGO_Builders_Journey/
    ● Apple Arcade
    ● #NintendoSwitch

on June 22, 2021. It looks gorgeous with #RTXOn! It should also come to #XboxSeriesX|S?

#LegoBuildersJourney
    LEGO Builder’s Journey is an atmospheric, geometric puzzle game that asks us to sometimes follow the instructions… and sometimes to break the rules.
    20210622 Lego Builders Journey (Puzzle, Adventure, Isometric, LEGO, Building)
    TEXT:
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX releasing on June 24th (Steam/EGS/PS5/PS4/Xbox/Switch) https://youtube.com/watch?v=xppzSHTg-f8&ab_channel=IGN
    A legend returns in stunning new detail with Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX! Fire up your power bracelet and relive a platforming classic alongside new modes, levels and features!
    20210622 Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (2d Platformer, Action, Retro, Platformer)
    TEXT:
    The deadly chambers of Phantom Abyss are filling up with the ghosts of fallen players!

Jump into a new procedurally generated temple each time to claim hidden relics and recover other players' loot - or die trying.

Now on Steam Early Access
    http://phantomabyss.com
    Phantom Abyss is a massive asynchronous multiplayer game that casts players into procedurally-generated temples and tasks them with retrieving the sacred relics hidden within deadly chambers.
    20210622 Phantom Abyss EA (Early Access, Action, Adventure 3d Platformer)
    TEXT:
    Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective - explore, search for clues & solve a mystery in beautifully illustrated labyrinthine levels that are packed full of intricate detail!

https://alphabetagamer.com/labyrinth-city-pierre-the-maze-detective-beta-demo/

by #gamedev @city_labyrinth #indiedev #indiegames #gaming
    Adapted from the bestselling children’s book series Pierre The Maze Detective, play as Pierre in this adventure/puzzle game and recover the stolen Maze Stone. Journey through breathtakingly hand-drawn illustrations, meet eccentric characters, and solve puzzles to save Opera City!
    20210622 Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective (Adventure, Hidden Object, Casual, Colorful)
    TEXT:
    Industries of Titan, a city building sim/strategy game set on Saturn's moon, Titan, is OUT NOW on STEAM! 🪐

Strike down your enemies, design powerful factories, and stake your claim to the industries of Titan.

Steam: https://bit.ly/3cRdomr
    OST: https://bit.ly/2SOSQE7
    Create a sprawling industrial city. Compete with the other rival corporations of Titan for resources, territory, and power. Do battle with ships, technology, influence, or the sheer productive power of your factories. Stake your claim to the Industries of Titan in this innovative sim/strategy game!
    20210621 Industries of Titan EA (Early Access, City Builder, Simulation)
    TEXT:
    World End Diner - new on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1647190 ($14.99)
    Run a diner on the last island in the world after the destruction of humankind! For the cute animals and robots that survived, cook delicious food, run a farm, explore the forest, and create the best diner!
    20210619 World End Diner EA (Early Access, Simulation, Sandbox, Cooking)

Brolo on
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Yeah I dont want to touch Death Trash until it's out

I had never heard of Death Trash until now. Only checked out the steam page, but damn that game has a cool look to it.

Def putting it on the wishlist and keeping an eye on it.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    tdxKF3g.jpg

oh Dungeons and Dragons: Dark Alliance also came out, after a bunch of confusion with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which is also getting a release on PC later this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwyk7AFLcFM
    The new fantasy action-RPG Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance has arrived, but my excitement has turned into fear as the reviews start to roll in. The game is a spiritual successor to the old Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games on console,though it swaps out the more basic hack and slash style to fancy ability-using action. Unfortunately, players have already reported a number of launch issues - from framerate drops and poor animations, to odd difficulty spikes and broken AI.

Alas, from the sounds of things, D&D: Dark Alliance has a lot of problems that need fixing before it's as fun to play as Jermaine Clement makes it sound. Lots of players are reporting issues with difficulty scaling and AI. Apparently the easier mode is just way too easy, and the harder mode turns enemies into damage sponges, making levels take ages to clear. Others have mentioned that the game has janky controls and stuttering issues, while some have gone so far as to say it feels like it's still in alpha.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/dungeons-dragons-dark-alliance-is-out-now

caveat emptor and all that

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Dark Alliance is on Gamepass if you don't want to risk buying it outright.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I dabbled in the Sable demo and it looks incredible as long as nothing is moving, but the draw distance is distractingly close and for a game that is so visually defined by dense lines, it’s incredibly distracting when the camera moves and those lines start drawing in and out. That combined with the pop-in (if that’s the right word) when foliage reorients in response to camera movement makes the visual experience very chaotic and noisey when you actually do anything.

And yeah, the movement and the way your character interacts with geography is not so good.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    IGN buried the new Dark Alliance game with a massively negative 4.0 review, it sounds quite bad from that.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Oh thats unfortunate, I was really hoping it would be like a fun modern gauntlet legends sorta thing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Dark Alliance is the one that had the bright idea for Drizzt Go-Pro footage right?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Dark Alliance is on Gamepass if you don't want to risk buying it outright.

Just don't expect to be able to crossplay with the steam version!

When they said PC-Xbox crossplay in the leadup they were apparently leaving steam out of that. May be patched in later but right now the "PC" version means Microsoft Store and there is a separate "Steam" version that no one talked about beforehand.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    IGN buried the new Dark Alliance game with a massively negative 4.0 review, it sounds quite bad from that.

I saw that.

PC Gamer gave it an 82% though.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/dungeons-and-dragons-dark-alliance-review/

WHO DO WE BELIEVE?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’ve been playing Metro Exodus with the new Ps5 version. There is sooo much dialog if you just hang around and listen to people. Like so much.

Also it is weird that the protagonist is silent except in the loading screens when he is narrating his journal.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

I saw that.

WHO DO WE BELIEVE?

metacritic has reviews all over the place apparently

so it's probably middling to fine, but definitely try it on gamepass

• Options
    I've always kind of enjoyed the silent protagonist angle in Metro because as you say the journal segments confirm that he is just a weird silent fucker in the presence of others but does have a lot to say

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

I saw that.

WHO DO WE BELIEVE?

metacritic has reviews all over the place apparently

so it's probably middling to fine, but definitely try it on gamepass

I picked it up last night and it really plays like a PS3 game, for better and worse. Attack placement doesn't seem to do a lot, so the game expects you to lock on and dodge so you can spam ranged attacks without worrying about aiming - but this also means the camera sometimes doesn't follow the enemy, and if you try to rotate the camera, you change targets. There's definitely some clunk, but there's also an amibitous amount of polish.

It does play a lot like Gauntlet with a close up camera; there's an emphasis on labryinthine level design, breakable objects to acquire gold to upgrade your movesets, and equipment chests. The equipment doesn't seem to fundamentally alter the game, but provide percent based increases, and there is a LOT of environment that will straight up kill you (my only deaths so far were due to wandering, not realizing I was in poison grass, and dying).

Enemy AI is non existent, which adds to the clunky, arcade charm that the game has going for it. It's easy to stunlock enemies, but on the higher difficulties this is actually mitigated by attacks using more stamina, so you have to time things out.

So far I count 5 Acts with 3 Chapters each, 6 difficulty levels, and the fun D&D font when you pick stuff up.

It's not a cash grab, but I can't think of who the game is for - no one was clamoring for an arcade style beatemup in the vein of War in the North or Gauntlet, but I'm having a good time so far.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If anyone is playing Astroneer, there's a new update hitting today.

https://youtu.be/fs9ci2A4wwU

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Do we know if Industries of Titan was made by a piece of shit? I remember being excited for the game and then suddenly writing it off but I can’t remember why

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Steam demos (so far):
    • Severed Steel: Really cool fps, you only have one arm so you can only hold one gun at a time and you pick up guns off of enemies as you kill them, or punch them off SUPERHOT style. It's all about gun-fu dives and slides, wallrunning, diving through windows, slow-mo, etc. While you're doing a stunt (diving/wallrunning/sliding) you're invincible so it's all about always moving around like a crazy person. Some of the movement is pretty janky though. It's real easy to get stuck on walls, or dive/slide the wrong way. Seems like it could be really cool.
    • The Fermi Paradox: I did not like this as much as other folks I think. I saw a LOT of repeat events, hell my Tau Ceti civilization had the same material shortage crisis and then resolution only separated by like 3 turns. Some of this is really cool, and I started to care about my civs as I progressed, but eh.
    • Sable: What if Breath of the Wild had no combat, way worse movement, but cooler art design and music?
    • Agent 64: Spies Never Die: It's a Goldeneye, but harder. Very early, but it's cool to see a game like this, love the enemy models and adherence to the old-school art design/limitations. It's SUPER weird that it still gives you the classic super auto-aim, even when you're using mouse.
    • The Big Con: A point-and-click sorta adventure game about a teen girl who becomes a grifter/pickpocket/ne'er-do-well to save her mom's video store in the 90s. The writing is pretty annoying, lots of DAE 90s KIDS kinda stuff, but the actual story beats seem cool. Nice art too, and it seems like it will have some cool puzzles. DEFINITELY play this on controller though, the demo had only keyboard controls and they're godawful, like holding the 2 button down to pickpocket while you had to move with WASD.
    • Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum: Hm. It's a bizarre action-rpg-roguelite-hacking sim where you are forced into corporate espionage slavery after a corp saves your life after an accident. The game is...a lot. It's hard to describe. It's a top-down shooter with randomized weapons and classes, but it's also a hacking sim, but it's also a stealth game, and an RPG with abilities and classes all at once. Neat style but it's way too slow and hard for me, the hacking is cool though.
    • Dodgeball Academia: I didn't play this much, it's really really hard and it doesn't give you a tutorial.
    • Escape From Naraka: Not to be confused with upcoming martial arts BR Naraka Bladepoint, this is a first-person platformer speedrunning game. The demo was only two levels and it ran like hot garbage except on the lowest of the low settings. Cool setting though, Balinese mythology. Also it has enemies but you can't kill them, only slow/freeze them with an ice ball, you're supposed to outrun them or get away.
    • TOEM: This is really good!!!! You're a funny little guy with a camera going on an adventure to see a magical phenomenon far from your Nana's home, and you go around taking pictures of things and helping people to get bus fare. It's very nice! And it looks great! And the photography is fun! And there's a bear rave!

One last one before the end of the event
    • The Legend of Tianding: This is one of my favorites from the ones I played. 2D brawler/platformer set in 1900s Taiwan, where you play as the folk hero Liao Tian-ding, fighting the oppression of the Japanese colonial authorities. Really cool art, satisfying (but pretty difficult) combat with a variety of kung fu moves and weapons you steal from enemies and use against them, and a setting I've never seen in a game. Definitely recommend checking this one out you're into beat-em-ups.
    Overall out of what I played, I'd probably put either Severed Steel or Tian-ding at the top, followed by TOEM and Agent 64

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Industries of Titan is made by Brace Yourself Games

they also made
    Crypt of the Necrodancer, Cadence of Hyrule, and are working on Phantom Brigade

as far as I'm aware, they haven't done anything that's particularly controversial from a social standpoint, there were some people who were upset that Industries of Titan launched in EA on the Epic Store last year before coming to Steam

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am giving Dark Souls another go. Because I hate myself I guess.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I am giving Dark Souls another go. Because I hate myself I guess.

i just started a DS 3 replay for the first time in 4ish years!! it's like a brand new game i cannot remember anything except how to get zweihander, the king of all blades.

i am now in the Crucifixion woods which is all around a very pleasant place.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh god I forgot how slowly you move. Why does it take my guy five hours to get up from being knocked down, it's the most infuriating thing

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Oh god I forgot how slowly you move. Why does it take my guy five hours to get up from being knocked down, it's the most infuriating thing

you wearin' big heavy armors?

edit: real talk if you are having trouble with DS, hit me up on steam. I love the Dark Souls games, and admit to having a working knowledge of the mechanics

Depressperado on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah in your stats you can see how much of your equip load you're using, in a format of [current load]/[max load]. You'd think it'd only matter whether you were above or below the max, but you actually get different roll speeds at 0-25%, 25-50%, and 50-100%. The lower load categories have faster rolls with longer invincibility.
    You can raise your max equip load by leveling your endurance.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Kind of funny how Valve's lack of support for TF2 is so legendary, people aren't sure if this was intentional or not.

• Options
    In Dark Souls 3 did they ever figure out poise?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    In Dark Souls 3 did they ever figure out poise?
    Yeah, it makes you have more hyper armor for particularly big heavy attacks.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Yes, it’s either really complicated or just hard to explain but it works.

https://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Poise

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah rather than being an always-on thing like previous games it only activates during the animations of certain attacks, basically the big heavy weapon swings. The poise stat increases how much damage you need to take before attacks that have that armor property are interrupted.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I still liked DS3 a lot but the heavy armour changes made me most woeful

• Options
    Yeah rather than being an always-on thing like previous games it only activates during the animations of certain attacks, basically the big heavy weapon swings. The poise stat increases how much damage you need to take before attacks that have that armor property are interrupted.

Ahhh, that explains why I could crush people with the Black Knight Greataxe. Initial attack people would dodge then try to poke me, not realizing the follow-up could be delayed for several seconds. They'd get their poke and then I'd send them flying before they could recover.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's also why the Dragonslayer Greataxe hard-countered the twin greatswords even pre-nerf, when everyone was upset about how strong they were. DSGA L2 poised through the greatswords and pancaked them while dealing 1k damage.

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Industries of Titan is made by Brace Yourself Games

they also made
    Crypt of the Necrodancer, Cadence of Hyrule, and are working on Phantom Brigade

as far as I'm aware, they haven't done anything that's particularly controversial from a social standpoint, there were some people who were upset that Industries of Titan launched in EA on the Epic Store last year before coming to Steam

I could have sworn they had a director, some name who worked on another famous series, and he said some heinous garbage or something

Honestly I’d love to be wrong, I’d love a new cool city builder, I just have such a distinct memory of removing it from my wishlist

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I didn’t do a lot of pvp so ds1’s big armor poise was my favorite.

Just no-selling boss swings and smacking them with my big dumb sword and chug an estus in the gaps.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Just no-selling boss swings and smacking them with my big dumb sword and chug an estus in the gaps.

The inability to do this in any other game is a major reason why I maintain that none of them is the best and each has their own strengths

There’s been such a focus on increasing combat pace and incentivizing lighter armor and more dodging in all their games recently, with Sekiro, Bloodborne, and DS3 all doing it

And I really wish they’d bring it back because it’s a play style that has just been straight up removed from those games

Which is fine for games that aren’t about having that choice, but in an RPG with build choices? C’monnnn

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

This is how I handled Four Kings. Full Havel gear, no rolling, and just go ham while healing as needed

This discussion has been closed.