As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil / Biohazard] - Resident Evil Village expansion in October!

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Random non-spoilery tips and tricks for RE8:
    • Weapon parts are permanent upgrades that cannot be removed. This also includes the annoying weapon charms you get from preorder/deluxe edition, so if you put those on they can never be removed. However, fortunately there is an option to disable seeing them, though this option is only available from the Main Menu, and not from in-game.
    • You can kneecap most enemies to make them fall down, and can also shoot their hands to make them drop weapons.
    • Your own mine can't hurt you, and you can always pick it back up if it doesn't get triggered, or you can shoot it to detonate it.
    • If a treasure doesn't say "[Valuable/Combinable]" on it, then you can just sell it immediately. There is no need to hold on to them. Most combinable items only have one combination, but "Necklace with Two Holes" has two gems that you add to it to get it's most valuable form.
    • The map will usually tell you what key a locked door requires.
    • If a room is still red on the map after searching everywhere, it's probably one of those damn sparkles somewhere up high that you shoot to get a small crystal. However, those sparkles don't always show up even if you're looking at the right spot. I haven't nailed down the specifics but I think sometimes you have to stand in the right spot for the sparkle to appear and it may also be effected by what weapon you are holding (ie. might not be there if you have the knife?). So this can be a little annoying trying to stand everywhere and scan every inch of ceiling and wall.
    • Files and Goat Statues do not count towards if a room if red or blue on the map. However, both of these things carry over to New Game+ so they do not have to be done in a single run.
    • When you need to light hanging torches, rather than walking into them to push them, it's more effective to line up and just shoot them with your handgun.
    • Exploding flour bags does not effect the player and has a pretty wide radius for effecting enemies, so they're fairly useful for a mass stun, when they're available.
    • The game timer does not count while the game is paused or in a cutscene, and if you die and Retry it dials back the clock too, so it's very forgiving for speedruns.
    • If you can shoot a crow before it flies away, it will drop money.
    • There is no achievement or challenge for completing all Labyrinths, there is just one for completing a single labyrinth, so if you hate these then just do the easiest one and never do them again, you'll just be missing out on some cash you get for selling the special skulls.
    • Inspecting a weapon in your inventory will give all of it's exact stats.
    • You do not have to have a complete recipe to give ingredients to the Duke, you can just give him whatever you have to get it out of your inventory. This also carries over to New Game+ so you'll just have to give him the remainder on that run. There only appears to be those 6 recipes and no further ones to unlock, so any other ingredients can just be sold.
    • When you beat the game, the Challenge list becomes visible (with any challenge you've completed already being marked) and the Bonus Shop opens up where you can spend points earned from the Challenges (same as Resident Evil 3 Remake). You can purchase Infinite Ammo for any weapon that you have completely maxed out. However, you can game this by loading a save, selling everything but one weapon and then maxing out that weapon, triggering an auto-save so the game will remember it and then re-load your manual save and do the same thing to a different weapon. This will let you get the Infinite Ammo a little earlier if you have the Challenge Points to afford it. the S.T.A.K.E. Magnum is the best weapon to get infinite ammo on but is crazy expensive. Once unlocked, Infinite Ammo for a weapon applies to all save files unless you turn it off.

also the game follows RE4 rules, upgrading the clip size refills the clip, including using extended magazine upgrades you find out in the world

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh I beat this last night and it ruled very much. I want more!

never dieCello
    yeah im on playthrough 3 now, eventually I will do village of shadows difficulty and probably call it a day

i hope it gets as good a dlc suite as 7 got. I really loved joe joe's bizarre adventure: diamond niece unbreakable and when 21 turned into bonkers yugioh in survival mode

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    this game is weird after act 1
    now that you have killed vampire mommy you must collect the remaining pieces of the triforce I mean your dead daughter

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    My one thought re Duke
    that dude is a Wesker

not necessarily Albert, but deffo Weskerish

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    man, Ethan is like, so incredibly stupid in this game, it feels on purpose. In one of the first scenes in the titular Village, you walk into this absolutely destroyed house, like claw marks ripping through the walls and blood everywhere and the door is like, just hanging open and his line of dialogue is

"...They must be out"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    Cello
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    So, preface with I’m a huge RE fan, but I beat this last night and loved it. It’s got some weak moments, but overall I had a blast with the game.

My one complaint is it felt like to me that unlike RE4, where there were different benefits to the different guns of the same type, in this one it always feels like an upgrade when a new one comes up? Like the second pistol is better than the first, which is weaker than the third, etc.
    cursedking wrote: »
    man, Ethan is like, so incredibly stupid in this game, it feels on purpose. In one of the first scenes in the titular Village, you walk into this absolutely destroyed house, like claw marks ripping through the walls and blood everywhere and the door is like, just hanging open and his line of dialogue is

"...They must be out"

He was being sarcastic. In 7 theres a few times where he says stuff like"Who builds this shit" when you solve a puzzle

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    HEY FUCK HOUSE BENEVIENTO

CelloDark Raven XrhylithmxmarksOlivawMulletudeTicaldfjam
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    cursedking wrote: »

"...They must be out"

They seem to really go Evil Dead 2 in this game with goofy injuries and too earnest silly lines and it works so tremendously well, to me

Breaking the terrifying shit with the campiest dialogue feels like an excellent way to follow up on the ways 4 worked

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    BahamutZEROBlackDragon480
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t call any dialogue of Ethan’s ‘campy’

In fact just the opposite, the cynic in me is saying that they wanted to keep his dialogue very short and non-descript whenever possible, for the same reason they never really show you his face during either game. They want Ethan to feel like an empty vessel for the player to insert themselves.

Dark Raven XOlivaw
    Javen wrote: »
    I wouldn’t call any dialogue of Ethan’s ‘campy’

In fact just the opposite, the cynic in me is saying that they wanted to keep his dialogue very short and non-descript whenever possible, for the same reason they never really show you his face during either game. They want Ethan to feel like an empty vessel for the player to insert themselves.

Agree to disagree! I think he mostly serves as a contrast to Leon. Leon was more assertive and in control whereas Ethan just sort of bumbles and falls into a pile of knives. I don't think he's like, Gordon Freeman level of empty.

Steam
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ethan is a dad as fuck doofus and regular dude who has to contend with insane bio-curses

King RiptorDepressperadoOlivawBlackDragon480
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    My one thought re Duke
    that dude is a Wesker

all the project w candidates are dead, and jake didn't get all the eugenics shit done to him

technically natalia still has alex's consciousness kicking around

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ethan doesn't recognize the (early RE8 spoiler)
    Umbrella symbol at the end of Castle Dimitrescu

To be alive in the world of Resident Evil and not be immediately aware of what that thing is, that is to be aspirationally dull. To go even further beyond incurious.

Oh brilliant
    Kristmas Kthulhu
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'm not that far in but ethan seems exceptionally dumb for an RE protag

uc3ufTB.png
    Cello
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Leon was also an utter dipshit.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    Indie Winter
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    leon's got that big himbo energy tho, what's ethan's excuse

uc3ufTB.png
    CelloKristmas KthulhuOlivawStiltsKana
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    im imagining ethan, damn near torn to shreds and barely holding his limbs together with tape, meeting up with leon, who is able to triple backflip away from danger and who has never let a single thing bruise his beautiful skin

CelloMagic PinkKristmas KthulhuOlivawTicaldfjamStilts
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Hey lemme give a big FUCK YOU to House Benevento.

Stopped playing and had to turn on the lights to go to the bathroom.

Shit's pretty tight.

never die
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    My one thought re Duke
    that dude is a Wesker

all the project w candidates are dead, and jake didn't get all the eugenics shit done to him

canon is mutable and subject to the rule of cool

that dude has mad Wesker vibes and if it'd make for an awesome reveal they'll make it make sense

wY6K6Jb.gif
    hmmmmmm

house beneviento

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Lalabox wrote: »
    hmmmmmm

house beneviento

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    game just taught me that i can hide under a bed, even tho nothing has happened yet

i kinda just want to call it there and then for the night

Cello
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ethan is like bizarrely soft like he approaches a werewolfed apart village like someone who hasnt battled swamp monsters at tortuous length if anything he should be suspecting swamp monsters at every turn, when he sees a werewolf he should be like "they got funny lookin swamp monsters in Romania"

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Magic PinkmiscellaneousinsanityKristmas KthulhuDee KaeOlivawStilts
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Ethan doesn't recognize the (early RE8 spoiler)
    Umbrella symbol at the end of Castle Dimitrescu

To be alive in the world of Resident Evil and not be immediately aware of what that thing is, that is to be aspirationally dull. To go even further beyond incurious.

Yeah but a lot of players who started with RE7, or even 8 may not notice it, either.

7 serving as a soft reboot for the series was important because it allowed them to shed a lot of that lore baggage that had just been building up and getting very messy. Another reason why they specifically built Ethan to be a faceless, mostly silent protagonist without much of any character of his own.

Kana
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    House Beneviento was my favorite part I think!

leon's got that big himbo energy tho, what's ethan's excuse

He just loves his wife so much

Steam
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    My one thought re Duke
    that dude is a Wesker

canon is mutable and subject to the rule of cool

that dude has mad Wesker vibes and if it'd make for an awesome reveal they'll make it make sense
    I get a lot of vibes from the Duke, many of them bad, but Wesker isn't one of em. What are you seeing in him

I very much doubt there is much more to it than they wanted a mysterious friendly guy

Imma let you guys in on a secret, RE lore is always stupid

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Indie Winter
    that's it

that's the whole vibe

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    There is definitely nothing to the Duke, but if you wanna extrapolate let’s say:
    Like the game’s bosses... wait, only read on you’re well into the game.
    Yeah, like the game’s bosses he’s an immortal mold vampire. In particular, he was the duke of the village before Miranda took over.

Endless_Serpents on
    Kana
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I very much doubt there is much more to it than they wanted a mysterious friendly guy

Imma let you guys in on a secret, RE lore is always stupid

wait what?!?!??!?!

bullshit i pour apple juice on severed limbs to re-attach them all the time

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    There is definitely nothing to the Duke, but if you wanna extrapolate let’s say:
    Yeah, like the game’s bosses he’s an immortal mold vampire. In particular, he was the duke of the village before Miranda took over.
    Is there a source for this? I mean, I kind of headcanoned that he was immortal and jacked into the mold network somehow for his information, but a confirmation would be cool.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well he's also like an 8 foot tall golem man

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Endless_SerpentsOlivawKana
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    Is there a source for this? I mean, I kind of headcanoned that he was immortal and jacked into the mold network somehow for his information, but a confirmation would be cool.

I just made that up. Let’s pretend that’s true.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I missed the extrapolate bit, because illiteracy is cool.

Post-third lord spoilers
    the raid on the lycan stronghold fucking ruled

I'm playing on casual so I have a thousand rounds for everything so it was like a John Wick setpiece in there, I even bothered to toss out some of my explosives that I usually hoard all game

I know I should probably say something like, I wish the ramp up was a little more steady, or I wish it kept up a scarier atmosphere for more of the game, but I really don't care, I like that the basic enemies were a threat before and absolute chumps now, it's hilarious

Cello
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I have never been so happy and so upset that something ended than when I just finished Beneviento.

Fuck that and also it ruled.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Zxerol
    i enjoy the fact that chris redfield absolutely fucking sucks

just an absolute dogshit of a dude

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Post-third lord spoilers
    the raid on the lycan stronghold fucking ruled

I'm playing on casual so I have a thousand rounds for everything so it was like a John Wick setpiece in there, I even bothered to toss out some of my explosives that I usually hoard all game

I know I should probably say something like, I wish the ramp up was a little more steady, or I wish it kept up a scarier atmosphere for more of the game, but I really don't care, I like that the basic enemies were a threat before and absolute chumps now, it's hilarious
    going back and kicking the absolute shit out of formerly deadly enemies is a time honored tradition

never dieOlivaw
    I finished this and holy shit what a ride

It was like 5 different genres, one of them not even a subtype of horror, and I think it did all of them pretty well. The last area could be trimmed a bit but otherwise I was always down for what this game was throwing at me. Even the goofy shit. especially the goofy shit

I wish more AAA games had the courage of their convictions and just went for it and threw a bunch of shit at the wall

LalaboxCellorhylithOlivaw