As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil / Biohazard] - Resident Evil Village expansion in October!

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Also having briefly talked to Grey Ghost about it I figure I should put this on the page

Finale spoilers
    I love how self-referential this game is, and how willing it is to dive into some RE4 quirks and expectations

But I also love how one of the endgame climactic battles has Ethan use literal tank controls

Game knows how to have fun

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    rhylith
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, i got the 4 things and then did the chalice thing and huh

there certainly is more of this game

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Lalabox wrote: »
    i enjoy the fact that chris redfield absolutely fucking sucks

just an absolute dogshit of a dude

damn this sucks to hear he was an absolute beef show of a lad

Magic Pink on
    also ethan please don't pick up the freshly forged piece of metal that's going to be incredibly hot

also ethan please don't pick up the freshly forged piece of metal that's going to be incredibly hot

ethan's hands are clearly 100% replaceable tho

he don't give a shit

KanaBlackDragon480
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I think it's safe to say his pain receptors are long gone

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Kana
    edited May 2021
    i am vera tempted to buy Recent Scare game but I have yet to finish literally ANY of the others so I'm gonna go back and do 7. New 2, 4 and maybe 5. Is Zero really worth doing? I really didn't like much of what I played.

Magic Pink on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    You could skip right to 7, Village is a straight sequel to that and they pretty much ignore all the earlier games.

But save RE2make for last because it's easily the best of the series, IMO.

4 is a classic. 5 is fun if you can play it co op. I like Zero but it's not very good.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The thing that still amazes me about RE is that RE4 and RE5 had some of the most fun competitive score attack modes in any game I've ever played and are wildly unique and that just gets forgotten in wider discourse.

I ate an engineer
    mxmarks
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Character wise you can skip RE7 because Ethans insanely terrifying Mississippi Chainsaw Swamp Monster Massacre made absolutely no impression on the man it changed him as much as being stuck in traffic for longer than usual

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    Depressperadonever dieOlivawKristmas Kthulhu
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    7 is a soft reboot and drops a lot of the terrible lore baggage the series has been building up. there is an optional recap cinematic in village for 7 for those that need it but 7 is also good so I would just play it

as for older ones most mainline ones are good (except 6) and most spinoffs are dogshit (except... revelations 2?)

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    rhylith
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    5 has dudes with spears in grass skirts goin ooga booga so you know heads up on that one

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    DepressperadoKristmas KthulhuStiltsJandaru
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    honestly, the worst part of 7 and 8 is that the main menu doesn't

RESIDENT
    EVIL

DaebunzSpeed RacerOlivawKristmas KthulhuCristovalmxmarks
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    7 rules play 7

DepressperadoKana
    i've played them all already, i just haven't finished them

edited May 2021
    yikes 5 sounds like a skipper, i never got out of the first area and deffo never saw that

which is sad because that's the one chris is hottest in

Magic Pink on
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    yikes 5 sounds like a skipper, i never got out of the first area and deffo never saw that

which is sad because that's the one chris is hottest in

5 is bad for so many reasons the racism is just the biggest one
    Notably you can be eaten by a normal crocodile though which trumps 0's toad

crocodiles are adorable how dare they

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Right now, my biggest peeve is just the amount of permanently missable stuff is in the game. It's bad enough that there are red areas on the map that will stay red until the end of time, but I can deal. What I'm gonna call bullshit on is the fact that you can actually lock yourself out of upgrades by missing stuff. I'm exactly one fish away from getting the last one, and from looking around, that appears to be it. Can't ever get it now. Luckily, it's the one I really don't care about, but that's still some cold-blooded shit.

i accidentally sold my fish before the recipes tab became available and i feel bad about it

They got a taste for people it would seem

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Right now, my biggest peeve is just the amount of permanently missable stuff is in the game. It's bad enough that there are red areas on the map that will stay red until the end of time, but I can deal. What I'm gonna call bullshit on is the fact that you can actually lock yourself out of upgrades by missing stuff. I'm exactly one fish away from getting the last one, and from looking around, that appears to be it. Can't ever get it now. Luckily, it's the one I really don't care about, but that's still some cold-blooded shit.

cooking progress carries over to NG+.
    I too missed a fish and was able to get what i needed to complete very early in my next run.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609

They got a taste for people it would seem

who among us, cast first stone etc

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Playing on easy at least dulled the blow of not getting the fish because I only got game overs by fucking up puzzles in Moreau's zone, so

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    You also don't need to keep extra ingredients in your inventory, you can give them to Duke and he'll remember your progress towards completing a recipe in New Game+.

I think the only things that need to be done in a single playthrough are two challenge/achievements:
    Break all the breakable windows in Castle Dimitrescu, and open all the outhouse doors.

Here's a list of point of no returns without plot spoilers (just stuff like "when you open this door" or "pick up this item").
    Luiza's House: If you haven't gotten all the items in the house by the time you start the truck, the remaining items will be permanently unobtainable as you can't return.

Castle Dimitrescu: As soon as you pick up the special knife inside the coffin, you are locked out from anything in Castle Dimitrescu (there is a treasure chest Duke adds to the map shortly that looks like it's in the Castle, but it's not)

Cave between Castle and Ceremony Site: You can only go through it the one time. I think there are some fish here.

House Beneviento: As soon as you take the elevator down from the cliff where the house is, the elevator stops working and won't take you back up there anymore.

The Reservoir: As soon as you take the elevator up out of the caves, the elevator stops working and won't take you back down anymore. There is a treasure chest on the map called something like "Moreau's Secret Weapon" or something like that and it looks like it's in the Reservoir, but it's not.

The Stronghold: I'm not 100% sure. I know the large doors to the spiral staircase get locked so you can't return that way anymore, but you might be able to return the way you exit, I haven't tried.

The Village: As soon as you move the Giant's Chalice to it's new pedestal, you are locked out of the Village for the rest of the game.

The Factory: I think the point of no return is when you ride the small platform up to the surface level.

Most of those are hella dumb, and there's no reason you should be locked out. I'm hoping they patch it and let you return to any of those that would make sense.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I watched a play through of this game and it was mostly what I expected, meaning it’s on my wishlist to play now someday and looks like a lot of fun

The thing that impressed me most though, beyond the cool monsters and absolutely bonkers ending, was Beneviento House

It basically felt like a modern day Silent Hill game, with all the symbolism and the absolutely oppressive atmosphere and the surprising amount of restraint

Like it reminded me of PT’s vibes and that’s really something

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Cello
    edited May 2021
    i mean... that's exactly what they were aiming for

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    I LOVED the beneviento section.
    The way the entire main house was just a mostly normal old house aside from the creepy doll in some paintings and photos was spectacular. Making you scared without actually having a single scary thing present because you just KNOW something is going to jump out. I spent so much time looking around like “there HAS to be something here!”

And then the basement obviously ruled.

CelloOlivawKana
    my favorite part about that section is on subsequent playthroughs it takes 15 minutes

7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited May 2021
    speaking of which
    I keep coming up about 5 seconds-ish short on the encounter w/ angie for the time trial challenge, because the 2nd spot she appears in is random out of a couple options (location 1 and 3 are always the same)

eventually I'll guess it right but otherwise grumble grumble

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    7 is a soft reboot and drops a lot of the terrible lore baggage the series has been building up. there is an optional recap cinematic in village for 7 for those that need it but 7 is also good so I would just play it

as for older ones most mainline ones are good (except 6) and most spinoffs are dogshit (except... revelations 2?)

1 is groundbreaking bu ugly and kinda rough to play, REmake is better in every way
    2is one of the best of the series, and there are upscale graphics mods: remake 2 is arguably better but different enough to play both
    3 has received a lot more positive reevaluation recently: remake 3 is fun but way too short, hot carlos is good though
    0 is not good even though billy and becky are both cool: remake 0 is better but still not good
    CVX was messy when released and has aged like milk
    4 is one of the most well-made games ever, and would be considered good if it were released now
    5 has issues but is fun with a friend
    6 is atrocious, and sherry coming back was wasted on it
    REV1 is fine, but was very clearly designed for handheld mobile play
    REV2 is very good despite it very clearly having a small budget, plus barry!
    7 was a breath of fresh air in the series
    8 is a fucking triumph

kinda pissed that yet another game decided that character assassinating chris was cool though

tried 4 last night and it has aged like meat in the sun. hated it. onto 7!

PiptheFair wrote: »

1 is groundbreaking bu ugly and kinda rough to play, REmake is better in every way
    2is one of the best of the series, and there are upscale graphics mods: remake 2 is arguably better but different enough to play both
    3 has received a lot more positive reevaluation recently: remake 3 is fun but way too short, hot carlos is good though
    0 is not good even though billy and becky are both cool: remake 0 is better but still not good
    4 is one of the most well-made games ever, and would be considered good if it were released now
    8 is a fucking triumph

kinda pissed that yet another game decided that character assassinating chris was cool though
    Full re8 spoilers
    By the end 8 just makes Chris look like a well intentioned moron.

He literally could’ve just said “that’s not Mia she kidnapped Mia she’s an impostor” but this is an actual plot point in the game. He takes shit from Ethan and the other soldiers over it! I will wager it will be a factor in re9 if it’s a Chris/Rose game like it seems it will be.

Cello
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

¡Un forastero!

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    Kristmas KthulhuDark Raven XJandaru
    astrobstrd wrote: »

¡Un forastero!

it was the controls i just couldna do it, man!

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Started Village last night

I'm glad I was forewarned that it starts rough, because WOW does this first part suck shit

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Full re8 spoilers

He literally could’ve just said “that’s not Mia she kidnapped Mia she’s an impostor” but this is an actual plot point in the game. He takes shit from Ethan and the other soldiers over it! I will wager it will be a factor in re9 if it’s a Chris/Rose game like it seems it will be.
    I imagine the plan was to terminate Miranda, secure Rose and Ethan, and then debrief Ethan at a secure location once they're sure he's not under Miranda's control or surveillance of The Connections. Then Miranda screwed up the plan by playing dead and then waking up and attacking the transport.

At this time, the Hound Wolf Squad was still under the impression that Miranda was affiliated with The Connections in some manner, so the house could have been bugged or whatever, which is probably why Chris didn't want to say much in the house.

From some memos in the game we can also surmise that Miranda only replaced Mia in the last day or so.

The real question is how Hound Wolf Squad knew that Miranda had replaced Mia? Also who at the BSAA was responsible for relocating Ethan & Mia to a location so close to the Village, as they obviously had to be setting up something for the Village.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I'm glad I was forewarned that it starts rough, because WOW does this first part suck shit

it's fine everything is fine

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

8 is a fucking triumph

Full re8 spoilers

Chris fucks up so bad and so often throughout the series that it’s honestly become one of the major tent poles of the overall RE lore.

OlivawStilts
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

it's fine everything is fine

*as the first monster in the game is eating my face for the fourth consecutive time*
    "Press the center pad to open your map"
    THANKS, GAME

Magic PinkSpeed RacerKristmas KthulhuDark Raven XStilts