As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil / Biohazard] - Resident Evil Village expansion in October!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    7 is a soft reboot and drops a lot of the terrible lore baggage the series has been building up. there is an optional recap cinematic in village for 7 for those that need it but 7 is also good so I would just play it

as for older ones most mainline ones are good (except 6) and most spinoffs are dogshit (except... revelations 2?)

1 is groundbreaking bu ugly and kinda rough to play, REmake is better in every way
    2is one of the best of the series, and there are upscale graphics mods: remake 2 is arguably better but different enough to play both
    3 has received a lot more positive reevaluation recently: remake 3 is fun but way too short, hot carlos is good though
    0 is not good even though billy and becky are both cool: remake 0 is better but still not good
    CVX was messy when released and has aged like milk
    4 is one of the most well-made games ever, and would be considered good if it were released now
    5 has issues but is fun with a friend
    6 is atrocious, and sherry coming back was wasted on it
    REV1 is fine, but was very clearly designed for handheld mobile play
    REV2 is very good despite it very clearly having a small budget, plus barry!
    7 was a breath of fresh air in the series
    8 is a fucking triumph

kinda pissed that yet another game decided that character assassinating chris was cool though
    Full re8 spoilers
    By the end 8 just makes Chris look like a well intentioned moron.

He literally could’ve just said “that’s not Mia she kidnapped Mia she’s an impostor” but this is an actual plot point in the game. He takes shit from Ethan and the other soldiers over it! I will wager it will be a factor in re9 if it’s a Chris/Rose game like it seems it will be.
    Chris fucks up so bad and so often throughout the series that it’s honestly become one of the major tent poles of the overall RE lore.
    not really

the only time he screws up is in 6, and that game is bad for so goddamn many reasons

maybe in 2/cvx by lying to claire about what he was doing I guess, but no reasonable person would predict that a 19 year old girl would become a fucking james bond out of sheer stubbornness

Started Village last night

I'm glad I was forewarned that it starts rough, because WOW does this first part suck shit

it's fine everything is fine

*as the first monster in the game is eating my face for the fourth consecutive time*
    "Press the center pad to open your map"
    THANKS, GAME

ethan is very hardy

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    7 is a soft reboot and drops a lot of the terrible lore baggage the series has been building up. there is an optional recap cinematic in village for 7 for those that need it but 7 is also good so I would just play it

as for older ones most mainline ones are good (except 6) and most spinoffs are dogshit (except... revelations 2?)

1 is groundbreaking bu ugly and kinda rough to play, REmake is better in every way
    2is one of the best of the series, and there are upscale graphics mods: remake 2 is arguably better but different enough to play both
    3 has received a lot more positive reevaluation recently: remake 3 is fun but way too short, hot carlos is good though
    0 is not good even though billy and becky are both cool: remake 0 is better but still not good
    4 is one of the most well-made games ever, and would be considered good if it were released now
    8 is a fucking triumph

kinda pissed that yet another game decided that character assassinating chris was cool though
    Full re8 spoilers

He literally could’ve just said “that’s not Mia she kidnapped Mia she’s an impostor” but this is an actual plot point in the game. He takes shit from Ethan and the other soldiers over it! I will wager it will be a factor in re9 if it’s a Chris/Rose game like it seems it will be.
    Chris fucks up so bad and so often throughout the series that it’s honestly become one of the major tent poles of the overall RE lore.
    not really

the only time he screws up is in 6, and that game is bad for so goddamn many reasons

maybe in 2/cvx by lying to claire about what he was doing I guess, but no reasonable person would predict that a 19 year old girl would become a fucking james bond out of sheer stubbornness
    Revelations pretty much shows him as oblivious to the fact that the BSAA is rotting around him, he gets most of his squad killed in the 7 Not A Hero DLC and RE5. He’s a competent single soldier but anytime he’s actually in charge of other people he does a bad job and gets a lot of people killed.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I would say that everyone should skip 5 and there's nothing redeeming about it... except that it is a pitch-perfect refining of RE4's shoot-then-melee gameplay

Like I'll never play the damn campaign without a friend again but I occasionally still install it just to play the Mercenaries mode, which is the best it ever was and probably ever will be

So many satisfying melee attacks

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited May 2021

8 is a fucking triumph

Full re8 spoilers

not really

Revelations pretty much shows him as oblivious to the fact that the BSAA is rotting around him, he gets most of his squad killed in the 7 Not A Hero DLC and RE5. He’s a competent single soldier but anytime he’s actually in charge of other people he does a bad job and gets a lot of people killed.
    in rev 1 the bsaa is the victim of yet another global conspiracy which is hardly something to blame him for, RE universe is lousy with them things

in not a hero, those aren't his squad and he didn't order them in, that's all blue umbrellas doing

EDIT:
    but yeah, he's not a good commander, he is more like a force of nature you send in alone to kill all the bio-curses

PiptheFair on
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I would say that everyone should skip 5 and there's nothing redeeming about it... except that it is a pitch-perfect refining of RE4's shoot-then-melee gameplay

Like I'll never play the damn campaign without a friend again but I occasionally still install it just to play the Mercenaries mode, which is the best it ever was and probably ever will be

it's the capstone game of the original storyline

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

Oh yeah it also has some wild shit happen in the last hour, like boulder punching and one of the all-time great quicktime deaths

But the boss fights aren't exactly super fun to play

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET

Oh yeah it also has some wild shit happen in the last hour, like boulder punching and one of the all-time great quicktime deaths

But the boss fights aren't exactly super fun to play

that's a series feature!

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    RE8 is totally camp and I like it. The saving is so fast it made me wonder if it actually saved.

The save points are a little too spread out.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm doing my speedrun now. I'm combining it with the challenges for not spending money, not crafting, and not reorganizing your inventory.

I just reached Moreau's area at 1 hr 20 min, so I think I should be on track for clearing it.

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Once I beat Village I'm going to go back and play VII. I've watched a playthrough of it before, but do I need to play the Teaser to unlock anything in the game?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Nope

There is a complicated puzzle in the Teaser that will unlock a "Dirty Coin" as an unlock in the main game. It works as having an extra "Antique Coin" when it comes to unlocking the bonuses in those birdcage things.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    oh sorry, I got mixed up and thought you were asking about the demos for Village

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Firin up RE7 again because 8 was so good.

Magic Pink
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    so, im finally starting up what i assume is the ending sequence, and it's still one upping itself after the bonkers finale to the factory sequence

Cello
    god, capcom really did ask themselves what sort of horror game they wanted to make and answered "yes"

CelloDepressperadoGrey GhostMidniteOlivawKana
    that last boss fight was a tough one until i learned that the secret was to just always be sidestrafing, except for the one or two moments when you need to just sprint

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    There is a complicated puzzle in the Teaser that will unlock a "Dirty Coin" as an unlock in the main game. It works as having an extra "Antique Coin" when it comes to unlocking the bonuses in those birdcage things.

My precious antique coin...

l3icwZV.png
    HybridOlivawDark Raven X
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I heard a great idea for a DLC:

You're the Duke, and it's a money/management game, trying to do business with all the lords, cutting deals and selling goods.

And I guess maybe sometimes a spooky thing happens, or whatever.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    Winky
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It would be hard to spook the Dook I feel I bet that guy can throw down pretty rugged

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    what if joe baker showed up and started power-bombing lycans in front of him

DaebunzDee KaeDark Raven XNaphtaliGundi
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It would be hard to spook the Dook I feel I bet that guy can throw down pretty rugged

Hadouken.

That’s my one thought, nothing else to add, sorry.

Hobnail
  • astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

For a brief second I forgot the antagonists in 7 and thought this was a call for Joe Don Baker vs. The Duke, which, yeah, I’d want that.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    GR_ZombieOlivawNaphtali
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    A florid and rugose Joe Don Baker sweatily awkwardly unconvincingly swinging a 2x4 yet killing everything he sees

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    astrobstrd
    Jill's Voice/Motion Capture Actress from RE3 Remake (who voices/mocaps Elena and one of Lady D's daughters in this) is doing a playthrough of Resident Evil Village:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU48QCBWJCU

She has some behind-the-scene details and sings a lot. Youtuber Sphere Hunter guest stars. If you check her older videos, she plays through a lot of Resident Evil games and often has guest stars by the other actors in them.

Also I learned an important gameplay bit from this video that I didn't realize in 30 hours of playing...you can shoot while blocking?!

Dark Raven X
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I wonder if Joe will come back it seems like all he really cares about now is making sure Zoe is ok

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I think the duke might be on par with the merchants from shadowhearts 2

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    in what way exactly

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Just finished it.

Loved it. That last hour was incredible.

I need more.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I am playing this via streaming it while a friend watches, and it is definitely very nice to be able to just yell at someone about it while I shoot ghouls and goblins. still in the castle, but really loving it so far.

Question about the courtyard:
    once you get your hand chopped and rearmed, and you've got ghouls in the courtyard, will they just spawn endlessly?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    I am playing this via streaming it while a friend watches, and it is definitely very nice to be able to just yell at someone about it while I shoot ghouls and goblins. still in the castle, but really loving it so far.

once you get your hand chopped and rearmed, and you've got ghouls in the courtyard, will they just spawn endlessly?

no there are just a lot of them iirc

7yh4xczljsym.png
    cursedkingDark Raven Xnever die
    im liking ng+

you can do some rather silly things

LockedOnTarget

There's only one spot in the game with infinite enemies, if I remember right. It's a hidden puzzle room that spawns one ghoul at a time until you solve the puzzle.

Winky
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    One crazy thing in my playthrough, right before section 4
    instead of going into the stronghold I took a small path to the right and came across a sawmill type place with a huge dude in it. It was a crazy unexpected, really tough fight.

After you get some cool documents and a bunch of meat and one fish.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Grey Ghostnever die
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

There's only one spot in the game with infinite enemies, if I remember right. It's a hidden puzzle room that spawns one ghoul at a time until you solve the puzzle.
    Pretty sure the lycans in the beginning keep respawning too, though obviously there's an upper limit to that based on hitting the timer.

Winky wrote: »

Pretty sure the lycans in the beginning keep respawning too, though obviously there's an upper limit to that based on hitting the timer.
    I'm not entirely sure, I was running wild with an infinite ammo Magnum on that one time, and got to the point I was having trouble finding Lycans before the 'arrow in the knee' cutscene triggered.

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

No you can, theoretically, kill a maximum number of them.

Also, full ass village spoilers:
    It's fucking darkly hilarious to me that an actual functioning not insane/unreliable Bioweapon got made in Ethan... and it was on fucking accident.

never dieStilts
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    oh my god
    I'm trying to find the words to describe this. scrap tank versus transformer? does it transcend our clumsy language?

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Starting NG+ now. I feel like I missed way more in this one than any other RE game. Missed 6 files, a ton of goats, and had at least 6 or 7 "red" rooms. Likely dig into Mercenaries tomorrow.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson