As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Resident Evil / Biohazard] - Resident Evil Village expansion in October!

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Wait where are you? In the first area in re8?

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Wait where are you? In the first area in re8?

Courtyard of the Castle in re8

Oh yes dudes are crawling up and out of the little sections there, so it will look safe and then it won’t be safe

cursedking wrote: »
    Oh yes dudes are crawling up and out of the little sections there, so it will look safe and then it won’t be safe

I may have worded things poorly - the enemy isn't figuratively popping in, the enemy is literally popping in. Pop-in, like trees in the distance suddenly being rendered. Except it's right at the respawn point. Fuckin' dude with a sickle, popping into existence (prone) right at my respawn point.

It's as immersion-breaking as it is frustrating

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    In that section, some drop from above, but if you are seeing it just pop into existence, that stinks. I’ve only had one glitch so far on PS4, just a Lycan caught on a wagon in the village and clipping into it.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    In that section, some drop from above, but if you are seeing it just pop into existence, that stinks. I’ve only had one glitch so far on PS4, just a Lycan caught on a wagon in the village and clipping into it.

I've died enough times in this deeply-irritating section that I can confirm it isn't falling from above, it isn't climbing out of shrubbery, it's just appearing right where I spawn. So that when I (seemingly-inevitably) die, I'm automatically respawning backfooted and out of ammo and waiting to die again

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I guess you just did the thing that has the elevator ride up into the courtyard? I'm guessing that's why the autosave is there? It spawns like a dozen ghouls there then, but I haven't run into your specific issue. However, you're only a few rooms away from Duke's room with the save point so if you could make it there then any future death should spawn you there instead since it's your latest save.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    wrapped this up a little while ago

it's good! definitely a lot better thanmy initial negative first impression

I think I like both 4 and 7 better than it though.

also that last boss fight suuuuuucks. Thinking about it, all the boss fights kinda do, though at least some of the others are so ridiculous and over the top that there's something fun about them. the end boss is just a dull bullet sponge.

re: ethan
    they're very clearly signalling that like, he's not gonna be the protagonist of RE9, but also he's a mold-man who exploded while surrounded by magic mold that can replicate anyone and anything it's come in contact with. If for whatever reason they wanted to, they could very easily justify bringining him back.

mxmarks
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    On thing about the VIIIage is there's like, green bins around? Who was pickin up the garbage? Heisenberg?

"Now is it tuesdays and thursdays or mondays and wednesdays...?" as he I don't know Gallaghers somebodys head

The Duke. He knows there's money in garbage.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    My first save issue with the game was just prior to the big survival fight at the start.

I kill the Lycan while bleeding out, douse myself in healing juice, climb downstairs, climb back up and grab an herb from its corpse, then lose in the survival fight.

I respawn... bleeding out, without the medicine I used to heal up or the herb that the Lucan dropped available. So somehow I went from 1x medicine to 0x medicine and dying going into the big survival fight.

I ate an engineer
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Played just a little but this game on my OLED is the first time I truly felt like I was playing the next generation.

The lighting in this game is fucking stellar

A Dabble Of Thelonius
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    wrapped this up a little while ago

it's good! definitely a lot better thanmy initial negative first impression

I think I like both 4 and 7 better than it though.

also that last boss fight suuuuuucks. Thinking about it, all the boss fights kinda do, though at least some of the others are so ridiculous and over the top that there's something fun about them. the end boss is just a dull bullet sponge.

re: ethan
    they're very clearly signalling that like, he's not gonna be the protagonist of RE9, but also he's a mold-man who exploded while surrounded by magic mold that can replicate anyone and anything it's come in contact with. If for whatever reason they wanted to, they could very easily justify bringining him back.

the thing about RE is that the boss fights are basically always bad and bullet spongey

Magic PinkOlivaw
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Boss fights in RE are often (especially in the tank control days) more a test of how good you have you been managing resources than anything else.

I didn't mind the final boss but also I was swimming in ammo when I got there.

Endgame thought
    It really feels like there should have been something between the end of Heisenberg's area and the endgame popping off. Like at least one more walk through the village or something.

Also a late game item question
    Did I somehow miss the clip addon for the last pistol and 2 addons for the last shotgun? Or are they just not in the first playthrough? IDK where they possibly could be. Also what is up with that other magnum that I unlocked in the model viewer? The hell was that at?

X22wmuF.jpg
    The people who told me Normal was too easy and that I should start on Hardcore are sadists whom I now know not to trust.

Magic PinkGrey GhostKing Riptorturtleantmxmarkscursedking101A Dabble Of TheloniusOlivaw
    The people who told me Normal was too easy and that I should start on Hardcore are sadists whom I now know not to trust.

The first quarter of all RE games are MUCH harder than the back 3/4s. Once you start swimming in gear, it becomes a shooting gallery

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i dont think hardcore in this one is particularly fun

7yh4xczljsym.png
    turtleant wrote: »
    Boss fights in RE are often (especially in the tank control days) more a test of how good you have you been managing resources than anything else.

I didn't mind the final boss but also I was swimming in ammo when I got there.

Endgame thought
    It really feels like there should have been something between the end of Heisenberg's area and the endgame popping off. Like at least one more walk through the village or something.

Also a late game item question
    Did I somehow miss the clip addon for the last pistol and 2 addons for the last shotgun? Or are they just not in the first playthrough? IDK where they possibly could be. Also what is up with that other magnum that I unlocked in the model viewer? The hell was that at?
    if you're talking the S.T.A.K.E. it's purchaseable from the duke postgame

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeah I played it on the easiest setting and never died outside of certain puzzle deaths, and still had a ton of tension/fear so the experience did not lose much

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Normal felt just right to me.

And then I got infinite ammo for the shotgun and grenade launcher and had a very fun new game plus

i dont think hardcore in this one is particularly fun

Yeah. It doesn't make enemies smarter, or ammo scarcer, it just turns everything into a bullet sponge.

It doesn't make me tense when it takes 8 fuckin' headshots to drop a trashmob enemy, it makes me annoyed.

LockedOnTargetEvilCaketurtleantGR_ZombieKristmas KthulhuJandaru
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm not playin resident evils for the hardcore challenge, I'm playin em to get occasionally spooked and to watch zombie heads explode.

CelloGrey GhostEvilCaketurtleantcursedking
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It does make enemies smarter, in that they are more aggressive and also more evasive. Lycans in particular are probably the toughest ‘default’ enemy they’ve ever had

Kana
    just finished my replay of 7

man that game is still excellent

the boat is fine, and I think people dislike it more because it robs you of your power for a bit rather than it disrupting the flow of the game

Dee Kaeturtleant
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    the last boss was really annoying on hardcore, and figuring it out wasn't that fun, because the solution to everything was always be circle strafing (and save a grenade/mine for one of the phases)

edited May 2021

Oh I didn’t know you were doing this yeah no thank you, no thanks! Normal has been Perfectly Fine for me.

The game is doing a lot to give me the like, fun spookums while not making me feel like garbage. It’s great for the enemies to like jump out and startle me while I’ve been creeping along, but then I get to satisfyingly retaliate quickly.

cursedking on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Casual, baybeeeeee

I get some fun haunted house spookums and then wild tonal bullshit, it's all the fun and none of the rage

StiltsCelloMagic Pink
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Casual, baybeeeeee

I get some fun haunted house spookums and then wild tonal bullshit, it's all the fun and none of the rage

Same

Very glad I played this game on casual

IKknkhU.gif
    Cello
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

the boat is fine, and I think people dislike it more because it robs you of your power for a bit rather than it disrupting the flow of the game

Boat has some good backstory but it runs a little long.

7 is probably my favorite RE though.

Kana
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I thought hardcore felt pretty good except for the bosses having too much hp, which was still manageable for me until the final boss, who I know the patterns of but has an absurd enough hp bar that I just cannot beat so I'm going to play the game again on normal

PNk1Ml4.png
    rhylith wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Boat has some good backstory but it runs a little long.

7 is probably my favorite RE though.

My only problem with the boat is that the machine gun sucks shit compared to the shotgun. Also the crawling molded are buttholes

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    For some reason, the game gave me a bunch of ammo at the start of the final boss section

like, not even the ammo you can pick up or buy there. Seemed like it was just added to my inventory in the cutscene

I typically gauge the difficulty of a Resident Evil game by the status of my inventory and the availability of the resources used to kill things compared to how many things there are to kill. I think the game suffers from a downward difficulty curve in this respect. I found the intro to be the toughest part of the game, by far. After that it became much easier in Standard, to the point where I was really wishing I had done Hardcore on my first playthrough.

edited May 2021
    they all turn into shooting galleries eventually but I think this game had one of the more enjoyable shooting gallery parts even if it is the easiest part

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    LockedOnTarget
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I am in the castle.

I am using my fancy 3d audio headphones.

I am terrified.

The sound in this is a stress inducing nightmare achievement.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    LockedOnTarget
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I am playing on Hardcore and think it's fine so far. I am at the point where I almost always have a backup explosive if needed and have never needed to panic craft ammo, but I still sometimes run low on ammo for an individual gun type and feel compelled to explore all areas to ensure I am geared up.

The enemies being a bit bullet spongey is fine imo since encounter density is so low, and even then most trash mobs die to a rifle headshot or to shotgun + stab them while on the ground

I ate an engineer
    RE always has such satisfying shotguns

except 6, one of its many sins

The RE2R shotgun is insultingly mediocre, until you get the upgrades for it, which is way too late in the game to justify how weak it is when you get it initially

Magic PinkKristmas Kthulhu
    I am in the castle.

I am using my fancy 3d audio headphones.

I am terrified.

The sound in this is a stress inducing nightmare achievement.
    My main complaint with the castle segment is that the fun of the RE2R with Mr. X was how you could hear him stomping around, and it really sounded like he was just down the hall or in the next room and you got a good idea of where he was.

With the Fly Ladies, they're just jump scares that you can't know their location, and as far as I could tell you couldn't really hear the Lady either, except that the music would freak out.