Options

[Warhammer], space or old world everyone needs hammers

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 15
    I liked Pertaboo in The End and The Death when he punched a wall and brooded a bunch.

Havelock2.0 on
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I liked Pertaboo in The End and The Death when he punched a wall and brooded a bunch.

He is biggest emo teenager daemon Prince in the galaxy. It's great. I want a 40k Perty model really badly.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ordered the new StD box as a present for myself

My go crazy ambitious and paint 3 armies this year - mostly done a FEV one, I have an StD one that needs someone, and I’m 100% in on skaven

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    The changes in 40k lore recently are great. Keep 'em coming.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/OnyIdRfgdmo

Update tomorrow for WH40K: Darktide. A slew of new in-game achievements with attached rewards are being added in alongside a second cosmetic tailor which will allow players to reshape their characters' background and personality/voice in case you feel your Reject needs to sound less/more crazy.

I love this game but BOY does Chubby Fish move at their own pace regarding content. It's good to finally get some new stuff, that maybe hopefully advances the story a little, too.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/OnyIdRfgdmo

Update tomorrow for WH40K: Darktide. A slew of new in-game achievements with attached rewards are being added in alongside a second cosmetic tailor which will allow players to reshape their characters' background and personality/voice in case you feel your Reject needs to sound less/more crazy.

I love this game but BOY does Chubby Fish move at their own pace regarding content. It's good to finally get some new stuff, that maybe hopefully advances the story a little, too.

According to the update, there'll be some new voiceovers in certain missions at least. There's also a new cutscene introducing the new Penance NPC. As for the additions to the Penance system, you'll likely be triggering some new in-game achievements when you log in which come with rewards. You'll want to chat with the new NPC not only to unlock them but to also check out a new reward progression track that works a little like a game's season-pass (without needing to pay for it mind you) which gives you new stuff every 100 achievement points. This can include new mission-complete poses, emotes and cosmetics which unlock for every class at the same time.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

My go crazy ambitious and paint 3 armies this year - mostly done a FEV one, I have an StD one that needs someone, and I’m 100% in on skaven

Is it available for pre-order already? Or do mean you just locked it in at a FLGS?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    I've gotten to Fulgrim in the Horus Heresy and I'm bouncing off this author hard.

I think the first four books had really solid writers that maintained a shared sense of continuity while also having unique styles that kept me pretty engrossed. This Graham McNeil guy is... not great. It feels very high-school. "He did this and then he said this as he looked at that and then he did this."

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited April 20
    I've gotten to Fulgrim in the Horus Heresy and I'm bouncing off this author hard.

I think the first four books had really solid writers that maintained a shared sense of continuity while also having unique styles that kept me pretty engrossed. This Graham McNeil guy is... not great. It feels very high-school. "He did this and then he said this as he looked at that and then he did this."

Graham McNeil is one of their more workmanlike authors for sure

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Is it available for pre-order already? Or do mean you just locked it in at a FLGS?

Locked in at FLGS

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I have tried listening to it a could times as Fulgrim and the EC are my legion. But man I just can't.

Also listening to so much Abnett and ADB has ruined me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just cause the plot points rankle me a lot, but Fulgrim feels better written than either False Gods or Galaxy in Flames, but considering it was the first point I hitched in the Heresy first time around, I shouldn't be too fussy at someone else bouncing off of it.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I have tried listening to it a could times as Fulgrim and the EC are my legion. But man I just can't.

I think Abnett wrote the first book and is also the guy heading up the story line and writing for Darktide so I'm most familiar with his work in the 40K universe. Boy I kinda just wish he did ALL the stuff.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I think Abnett wrote the first book and is also the guy heading up the story line and writing for Darktide so I'm most familiar with his work in the 40K universe. Boy I kinda just wish he did ALL the stuff.

There’s other good authors that write 40K and WF, (Werner, ADB, Farrer) but yeah having Abnett be my introduction to 40K/WF spoiled me as far as expectations go.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I really liked Fulgrim and also bounced off Flight of the Eisenstein real hard so who knows what that says about anything

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    My Horus Heresy reading experience:
    • Horus Rising: oh hey, this is actually pretty good. I might even lend it to my friend who showed vague interest.
    • False Gods: oh hey, this is a step down. More what I expected - still enjoying it, but definitely not lending it to my friend who showed interest.
    • Galaxy In Flames: more good pulp. Feels a bit weirdly compressed - like I think significant time is supposed to have passed, but it doesn't read like it.
    • Flight of the Eisenstein: a story I've heard of since I was a kid, finally getting told... Big let down, probably because it was so significantly not what I was expecting. (The actual "flight" part being just a tiny part of the book - I wanted ~The Hunt for Red October.) Also: time feels wonky again.*
    • Fulgrim: while there are elements of this book that I like, there are a lot more that I really dislike, on a fundamental level.**

Now, I had heard that the HH series had pretty rough quality consistency before starting, and had heard "read the first five books, maybe skipping 'Eisenstein, and then just pick and choose based on what stories sound appealing to you and what writers you like." So... that's on target, I guess?

Like I know Warp travel is fucky, but in Horus Rising the Imperial Fists left to take up Dorn's role as Praetorian of the Solar System, and then the Eisenstein runs into them in the middle of nowhere in this book, still on their way back to Terra. It just feels wrong...
    I hate the Laer Temple being this one event that magically fucked over the legion. I think the story of the Third being a bunch of extremely high-strung, tightly-wound, ultra-coordinated, excessively-drilled, hierarchical-perfectionist-jerks with a superiority complex, who then get pushed over the edge, exposed to different possibilities, and turn into indolent, selfish, do-as-thou-wilt jerks with a superiority complex, all pursuing their individual pleasures, much more interesting. That's the fall I read about as a kid - but in Fulgrim it comes across more like anyone who was present in the Temple is now magically compelled to be evil. Julius Kaesoron doesn't feel like he turned into a monster, it feels like he was turned into a monster. And that's just not as interesting.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Fulgrim was where I bounced of the Heresy. Can't stand that book.

Now that the series is "finished" I just read some books or subseries that got good recommendations or stuff that interested me.

Like all the White Scar books and Know No Fear

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The only 40k book i've read so far is The Infinite and The Divine, which was pretty disappointing just in a writing quality level? It was perfectly cromulent and things, but it didn't quite all gel together, flow together. it didn't sing so to speak.

But i'm prob ably a terrible book snob who came in with way too high expectations.

Kinda wish they'd get Kieron Gillen to either take a crack at a novel, or just write a bunch more 40k comics (since his Magenus comic was actually really good). GIve me a 40k comic from the Hive Mind's perspective written from Gillen, or something from the Necron perspective.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    the infinite and the divine rules

it's grumpy old men, but they're ageless metal space pharaohs and one of them is a prescient and one of them is the biggest kleptomaniac in the universe

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I read up to I think Know no fear but it was various ugly reasons I fell out of 40k. I do want to read more about the heresy but seeing there is 100+ books and some have bits of lore is rather daunting
    As I came back into 40k because I had ebay set up to email me about warhammer quest [I was looking for the treasure cards and random other things} it was a bundle of 3 of the box games and I was back with WTF are the Ynnari

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the infinite and the divine rules

it's grumpy old men, but they're ageless metal space pharaohs and one of them is a prescient and one of them is the biggest kleptomaniac in the universe

Yeah, i really wanted to like it a whole lot more than i did, because Trayzn is just a fantastic character. It sadly didn't all come together for me.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I stopped reading after Flight of the Eisenstein but i grabbed The End and the Death volumes on ebook, which was excellent imo.

I get what GW was going for with the series but I don’t think we needed a blow by blow of the Heresy as much as just a greatest hits

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    The only 40k book i've read so far is The Infinite and The Divine, which was pretty disappointing just in a writing quality level? It was perfectly cromulent and things, but it didn't quite all gel together, flow together. it didn't sing so to speak.

But i'm prob ably a terrible book snob who came in with way too high expectations.

Kinda wish they'd get Kieron Gillen to either take a crack at a novel, or just write a bunch more 40k comics (since his Magenus comic was actually really good). GIve me a 40k comic from the Hive Mind's perspective written from Gillen, or something from the Necron perspective.

I feel a similar disappointment with most of the writing quality in Warhammer, even occasionally from Dan Abnett. Aaron Dembski Bowden (ADB) has rarely let me down though. Give Spears of the Emperor a read and see if you like that.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    edited April 21
    ADB is their best Traitor Marine writer by a mile.
    Probably their best Astartes writer period if I’m honest.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The early parts of Infinite and the Divine is ok. Where it gets good is the back half of the book where you have the two of them constantly interacting with each other.

Basically any scene where they are together talking shit and trying to one up each other is great. The scenes where they're apart less so.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I very much like some of Ben Counter's stuff. Soul Drinkers (loyalist chaos marines, basically), Grey Knights trilogy, and Battle for the Abyss were all very readable.

Second ADB and Abnett, of course. ADB writing for the Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters game was a huge highlight of an already great game.

Sandy Mitchell of course does the Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium books, which are frankly must-reads, but he also did some excellent Dark Heresy-adjacent Inquisition books like Scourge the Heretic.

Rachel Harrison gets an honorable mention for her Battle Sisters and Commissar Severina Raine books, providing a rare and important female perspective to the 40K universe.

I also liked James Swallow's Sisters of Battle books, though he's not as reliable as the rest of the above.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Quotes don't seem to be working right now but re: a couple of @LordSolarMacharius 's thoughts

Horus Heresy had an issue that they didn't do a whole lot of planning going in, and only really expected it to last a few books. Not, what was it, 66ish numbered books plus a bunch of side projects? So they rushed a whole bunch of stuff early on, and then couldn't undo mistakes. And that rush ends up especially clear with the authors who aren't as good. Fulgrim (the character) is a great examples of that. I actually thought Fulgrim (the book) was decent, but then they kinda sorta retcon some things a couple of times and Fulgrim just kind of becomes this nonsense background character.

Likewise, the reasons for Horus' fall to chaos could've been so much better but GW thought they only had one book to introduce the 30k setting, introduce a bunch of Luna Wolves, and get Horus to the cusp of his fall, so it was very handwaved. But Horus was handled better than Fulgrim in practice.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I believe the original idea was 7 books total for the Heresy, but then Horus Rising caught like fire, and GW saw dollar signs, and in the only way they know, began bloating things out, and because everyone's got favorites when it comes to the Heresy, you gotta give everybody a little something, right? And that's how it takes almost 20 years to write the very basic synopsis of a war that only last 7 years.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited April 22
    I don’t read Space Marine books often if at all, tbh. I own Brothers of the Snake, the Armageddon omnibus (which has Helsreach), and Lion, Son of the Forest, but that’s it. The “Domestic 40K”, as Abnett put it, is what interests me more even if there’s overlap with t’other bits.

There’s likely other authors that do this that I haven’t read yet, but I appreciate it when Abnett portrays the Astartes (at least in Brotherhood, Eisenhorn, and Bequin) as seen from a human perspective. It makes the portrayal of them as being these terrifying, transhuman warriors much more effective and believable. In one case it’s used effectively is when a world activates an emergency beacon and the response is one Marine. Who then proceeds to clean house.

It draws the severity of the HH in an appreciable light, and the reality that a full multi-chapter mobilization in response to a threat is a BFD.

Havelock2.0 on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    @Dracomicron
    I very much like some of Ben Counter's stuff.

For some reason, Counter was THE Imperial Fist write for the longest time. And I was happy to read any IF fiction, but I hated all of his IF stories.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 22
    The Deff Skwaden comic is pretty great I don't think you can find a physical copy but it's zoggin beautiful

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The Deff Skwaden comic is pretty great I don't think you can find a physical copy but it's zoggin beautiful

I have it as an e-version. It's great

I enjoyed Ascension Day (genestealer cults and mechanicus) and some of the Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!) books.

But generally the Black Library books is drek. And the fluff in the codexes/battletomes is generally dogshit.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    man, it sounds like the ridiculous sexist discourse around "no you can't put in female custodes" is remaining at a fever pitch in other parts of the internet. Morons. I didn't think people would care so much, it's so MINOR.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    man, it sounds like the ridiculous sexist discourse around "no you can't put in female custodes" is remaining at a fever pitch in other parts of the internet. Morons. I didn't think people would care so much, it's so MINOR.

It’s the same chuds who don’t want female space marines

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    In the grim dorkness of the far future, there are only big manchildren crying their space dolls are changing

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Speaking of ADB, it sounds like he was petitioning for femme Custodes as early as 2016, which isn't terribly surprising but does make me wish GW had leaned into the whole thing with a little more enthusiasm and such

• Options
    edited April 22
    They should have introduced them along with female Astartes when Primaris happened.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 23
    How are custodes created? Is the emperor basically their primarch? It feels weird to say there are female ones without maybe some sort of accompanying lore dump that opens up space marines and such to also being female, since presumably the same principle between creating a custodes from the emperor applies to creating space marines from primarchs

Prohass on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    In one of the previous lore passages in a codex it was said the people of Terra offer up their children to them where as infants they are crafted into the custodes [via a lot of stuff} as it was considered a honor to do this

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    No-one knows, except that it’s nothing like the Marine programme. Specifically it’s the personal creation of the Emperor and takes decades, minimum, whilst you can churn out marines in 2-5 years depending on how much risk you’re willing to accept. The Marine implants were also designed and developed entirely by humans who took inspiration from the primarchs (that’s why some of the implants have names attached; Larraman was the lead engineer for that organ).
    All references to the Custodian process are obscure and oblique terms like “bio-alchemy” which I personally take to be full on genetic resequencing, but could be fusing adamantium to their bones for all anyone knows. Also, either the Emperor didn’t pass on all his secrets or the process has degraded over the millennia because apparently the success rate is less than 5% now when we’re pretty sure the original batch was 1:1 based on them being the hostage children of the warlords defeated during the Unification Wars. A Marine chapter having an implantation success of less than 50% is a dead chapter because they at best only get two sets of new organs per Marine.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.