Options

[Warhammer], space or old world everyone needs hammers

1484950515254»

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    • Flight of the Eisenstein: a story I've heard of since I was a kid, finally getting told... Big let down, probably because it was so significantly not what I was expecting. (The actual "flight" part being just a tiny part of the book - I wanted ~The Hunt for Red October.) Also: time feels wonky again.*

To follow up on this, I came across a little side-panel flavour text from 1989's Space Marine (aka Epic). It was where the Horus Heresy was really first detailed (as a way for GW to justify only having Space Marine vs Space Marines games at first, due to a single model line). I don't know who the writer would have been - the book credits Jervis Johnson with Game Design and Graeme Davis with Development, but doesn't mention anyone else.

"You realise that you are preaching mutiny?" Brother-Captain Tarvitz nodded gravely. "Betray Horus or betray the Emperor. What choice is there?" The Space Marine officers looked at each other in silence for a few seconds. Tarvitz leaned forward across the table, resting on his fists.

"Fact: in the five Chapters under his command, Horus has installed this system of feral-world warrior lodges that he picked up on Davin. The standard Imperial organisations and command structures laid down in the Codex have been completely disregarded.

"Fact: the bulk of the Marines in our five Chapters have repudiated their Marine's oath and sworn loyalty to the feral world deities. Further, they have sworn loyalty to Horus personally. Heresy and blasphemy.

"Fact: the Isstvan campaign has been conducted without even the pretence of orders from Terra. While I do not presume to speak for the Emperor, I cannot believe that the use of a virus bomb on Isstvan III was justifiable. A single Company from a single Chapter dropped on the rebel headquarters would have answered the case.

"I say the Emperor must know what is happening here. Who is with me? Varren? What say the World Eaters?" A red-uniformed officer stood.

"There are fifteen men I can trust. They are yours."

"Garro?" A Captain of the Death Guards looked up.

"A dozen. I wish it were more."

"Ten from the Luna Wolves."

"Twenty from the Thousand Sons."

"Be sure they are all trustworthy. If you have the slightest doubt, do not commit them. Of my own Emperor's Children, there are ten I am sure of, including myself" There was a pause as the paucity of their force sunk in.

"Seventy Marines," said Brother-Captain Varren of the World Eaters, "The sum of our five Chapter numbers - a good omen, perhaps?" A couple of the others smiled, and the tension of the moment was broken. "Seventy Marines," repeated Tarvitz, "Enough for any task, I think. So, to work. Varren, your men will seize control of the frigate Eisenstein in three hours from now. It is on the edge of the fleet, and should be clear for the jump to Warp Space." Varren nodded.

"The Eisenstein has been having manoeuvre-drive trouble," he said, with exaggerated innocence. "She's been falling behind the fleet all day." Tarvitz grinned.

"Good. The rest of us will arrange for our ships to lag behind with her in case of... further trouble with the drives. Three hours from now, we will all assemble full crew for an emergency briefing. Meanwhile, our trusted men take control of the systems on all five ships. Clear all remaining ships from around the Eisenstein and keep her covered until she makes the jump to warp space. Then, cause as much damage as you can to the rest of the fleet. History will vindicate us."

He turned to Varren. "Your World Eaters are our only hope," he said, "Do not fail." Varren's eyes became serious. "We cannot fail," he said, "There is too much at stake. Your deaths will be avenged."

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Flight of the Eisentsein was fine, but I also don't know jack shit about 40K so all of this shit is new to me. I went in blind with no preconceived notions. I also don't really know if I want to commit to like, 60 more books that's ridiculous.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Flight of the Eisentsein was fine, but I also don't know jack shit about 40K so all of this shit is new to me. I went in blind with no preconceived notions. I also don't really know if I want to commit to like, 60 more books that's ridiculous.

I have a collection of Black Library books. It might be 60 total, but fuck if I'm going to read the drek middle chapters of the Heresy.

Just find the shit you like, but treat the books well if they're new, since the limited sales runs means the resale values, especially on the hardbacks, can go through the roof.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

The end of the Horus Heresy is it's own book series, because fuck your free time.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    From HH I have listened to, I do Black Library as audio books only:

1. All of the End and the Death
    2. Master of Mankind
    3. Flight of the Eisenstein

And all were pretty great popcorn books to listen to.

The End and Death was actually really good. If anything how it describes the walls of time and space breakdown as Terra is absorbed more and more into the Warp was great. How it messes with people. How it creates fate. It was really good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The biggest issue with Flight of the Eisenstein is that most of the book isn't actually about the flight. Most of it shows the lead up to Istvaan from the Deathguard perspective.

Which is fine, but not really what I was looking for out of it. Was hoping most of the book would be about their fucked up trip through the warp. Give me some psychological horror as the warp seeps into the ship and starts to fuck with everybody's mind and increasingly influences the crew.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    The end of the Horus Heresy is it's own book series, because fuck your free time.

I've seen people speculating on what Black Library will do once the 'Heresy is "over" - what new series will they have take it's place.

Then they announced Eidolon: The Auric Hammer, to release in ~October, which takes place on the way to the Siege of Terra.

The Heresy will never end.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Really? Hit the climactic battle and nothing? No Scouring? No Second Founding/Codex arguments? No Nova Terra?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    I figure they’ll get around to it

The End and the Death left some things to be explored by other writers

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    wonder if Abnett has anymore Ghosts in him, considering the state where the last book left them

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    How 100% "accurate" are the HH books supposed to be anyways

Like are they Imperial scribes' recountings as filtered through history or are they supposed to be 1:1 to what happened? Or is it left to the reader to decide

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    wonder if Abnett has anymore Ghosts in him, considering the state where the last book left them

I think he does. I could have sworn that he mentions this in one of the forewords or afterwords for The Victory.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    There is a lot that goes from after the Siege to 40k.

The Scouring and also the whole suicide attempt of Dorn and the Iron Cage.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Like are they Imperial scribes' recountings as filtered through history or are they supposed to be 1:1 to what happened? Or is it left to the reader to decide

GW's official stance is that all lore is interpreted by unreliable narrators. Everything is canon and nothing is.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

It’s always up to the reader in the end, but the way they’re written leads me to believe they’re meant to be “factual”.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah I'm aware of that outlook on the "canon*" of 40k, it's more just like, damn there's a lot of pro wrestling grade melodrama between the primarchs in those middle books based on everything I've ever heard

And not necessarily the good kind of pro wrestling grade either

• Options
    Abnett touches on this in the afterword for The End and the Death. Marching orders from the PTB was that certain items in the HH (the Emperor for example) must be left ambiguous, only described from a limited pov. Other stuff is intended to be represented as it actually happened.

• Options
    The Emperor in the HH is interesting. And it gets touched on a lot in the End and the Death but the Emperor isn't a single thing. They are something beyond an individual and how they are seen is based on what aspect they need at that time.

Be it the golden warrior. The wise priest. The scholar. The scientist. The love. The mad man. Gender and views of what they are is based on the viewer as much as the Emperor themself. He is usually a "He" but not always.

Feels very much like a weird fluid warp entity as much as a human. But also is very much a man and one who isn't very patient.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Do you know this little reading order chart? (Warning. File size.)
    https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Horus_Heresy_Spoiler-Free_Reading_Order.png
    Not for reading everything, but for picking a storyline.

Like everything White Scars focused is comparatively good.
    As is First Heretic > Know No Fear > Betrayer with word bearers, ultramarines, World eaters.

• Options
    ngl nothing really stood out outside of the Mechanicus II announcement and the additional info on Space Marine II

I’m definitely gonna need to upgrade my rig for the latter. I’ll probably get to that in about two years.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I want Space Marine II to be good so bad.

Also, hell yeah more Darktide content. I still love that game and have sunk... a LOT of hours into it. Even having max leveled all the characters I'm still really enjoying the gameplay loop of "use chainsaw sword to super murder 8,000 pus people at once while playing as a cracked out Scottish priest" or "super murder 8,000 pus people at once with a big shovel as a huge loveable walking tank".

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Marine II looks bangin

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    Spooce moreens

I hope the pvp mode is as good as the original I used to have a blast with it

Also though I hope they don't put in a ton of battle pass nonsense and premium currency and garbage

Uriel on
  • Options
    I am glad 6v6 is back.

Mechanicus 2 is just another sound track for me and I am happy about that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 27
    Man the PvE mode is what I wanted so bad, so happy

Looks like there won’t be any genestealer cult, unless it’s some hidden reveal. I guess the role of anthropomorphic dialogue-capable antagonist is going to the thousand sons, which fair enough I guess

I hope it sells well enough to get a story expansion and maybe add genestealer cult in that. Seeing 40k rendered with this high a budget just has me fantasising about how cool every race would look.

Prohass on