As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pondcasts Thread [Podcats Thread]

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The only thing that could have made that better is if we had somehow used the exact same sentence.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What's the worst gun in a video game?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    What's the worst gun in a video game?

Doom 3 shotgun

• Options
    What about the fucking bio gun from Unreal Tournament

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mozambique is a recent entry but I think it can compete

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Moriveth wrote: »
    What about the fucking bio gun from Unreal Tournament

People were just sore about that one because it's overpowered

The real answer is the... "Silenced" AR from postal 2

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Never rank the worst video games things

You run the risk of reminding people about postal 2 and bumming them all the fuck out

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The Hek from Warframe makes enemies either disintegrate or fly across the room, which feels great.

Shame that basically pushing any button in that game one-shots most enemies, or it'd stand out more.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Any video games gun that pins enemy Ragdolls to the walls is pretty good

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Amid Evil has an excellent one of those.

Actually the entire arsenal in that game rules as hard as it is possible.

• Options
    A like a laser gun what charges then fires a big shot like the charge gun in Apex or the Spartan laser.

• Options
    Not enough games have guns that fire an itano circus though

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

especially if it's a multiplayer game and they get really mad about bullshit hit boxes every time

god I miss playing Huntsman sniper in TF2

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Fuck you for catching me before my edit, I was mixing up the guns

EDIT: The stake gun being the one what also shoots grenades

It's okay, thanks to the well-known Inverse Ninja Law, getting ninja'd twice makes it 75% less painful.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    One of my favorite guns in games is the shotgun from Killzone 1

Not because Killzone 1 was a very good game, like at all, it was a very slow-paced shooter for the PS2 after all, but it had maybe the chunkiest, chonkiest shotgun rack sound and animation set that I have ever experienced

In my mind it is larger than life

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Dusk has some real good shotguns.

Also the first FEAR game, though that cheats a bit what with the slow mo and all

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I never really like shotguns in games

like, sure it's probably cool to bla-blaw blow a dude away but also I could just kill them from a safe distance with a rifle.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Games with good shotguns aren't usually too concerned about making them only deal damage from six inches away

Destiny shotguns may as well be melee weapons

Maddoc on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

FEAR multiplayer rail guns only

Looks like a Halloween party with all the corpses stuck everywhere

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Warframe has some good shotguns

One has like… six barrels, it owns

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Prey is the best shotgun, because when you finally get your hands on one it's such a blessed relief.

Edit: also, on your first couple of playthroughs most of your fire is panic fire, which is where a shotgun shines (shame about it).

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    I like dual sawed offs in Red Dead Redemption 2

edit: Destiny 2 has the Cerberus+1 which is technically an auto rifle, but it fires from four barrels at once

Depressperado on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    MW2 had some amazing shotguns in multi. Striker was my favourite for the speed, but nailing someone with a SPAS shot was very satisfying.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's strong per se but sticking dudes to the wall with the tf2 huntsman always felt amazing

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Not enough games have guns that fire an itano circus though

Enter the Gungeon has the Yari Launcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuIxlG6kotA

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's strong per se but sticking dudes to the wall with the tf2 huntsman always felt amazing

The Scout's Force-a-Nature too. Requires point blank range but satiafying.

• Options
    See I felt like the alternative weapons in TF2 ruined the game for me

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    oh, don't get me wrong, unlockable weapons eventually fucked tf2's balance beyond any hope of repair

but damned if some of them didn't feel great to use

• Options
    I feel like mostly the alternate weapons were cool sidegrades that didn't really alter the overall balance

The thing they did do is make it more difficult to identify what an opponent can do based on their silhouette, which was a big part of the brilliant baseline design

And then there were just a couple weapons that were straight up better, looking at you Pyro

• Options
    The alternate weapons were good and the game would have died years earlier without them.

Sure they fucked up on balance here and there but that's every game (and it's not like stock weapons only TF2 is perfectly balanced either)

By the time I quit the only alt weapons that were just better than stock were a couple melee weapons, mostly for pyro and medic.

Though if you were a whiner and played on no crits no damage spread servers that increased the number of alt weapons that were strictly better (or near enough not to matter). But that's on you.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    A like a laser gun what charges then fires a big shot like the charge gun in Apex or the Spartan laser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1nrjRFFmpI

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    No see the base game was fun and basically perfectly contained and trying to make it last longer by adding weapons and hats was a mistake because there just wasn't enough there at it's core to make it fun for more than a year or so anyway

But I generally don't like the concept of giving a game a ton of post release content updates to artificially lengthen it's tail of player engagement. That design attitude leads directly to shit like destiny.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    No see the base game was fun and basically perfectly contained and trying to make it last longer by adding weapons and hats was a mistake because there just wasn't enough there at it's core to make it fun for more than a year or so anyway

But I generally don't like the concept of giving a game a ton of post release content updates to artificially lengthen it's tail of player engagement. That design attitude leads directly to shit like destiny.

IDK I played TF2 for like a decade and 2500+ hours and had a great time until Valve tried to copy Overwatch and fucked over there server community to chase the esports money so seems like it worked to me.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »

IDK I played TF2 for like a decade and 2500+ and had a great time until Valve tried to copy Overwatch and fucked over there server community to chase the esports money so seems like it worked to me.

Cool. It just didn't for me.

The alt weapons are actually literally what pushed me away.

I played way more dod source because that game was comparatively static. You always could expect it to be the same when you came back to it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I loved the dub step gun from the Saints Row games. give me that wub wub.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The record launching machine gun and bowling ball launcher from Sunset Overdrive are great guns.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The Land Shark Gun from Armed and Dangerous.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Look, Turok has never really been all that good

But I have a soft spot for the Cerebral Bore

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

especially if it's a multiplayer game and they get really mad about bullshit hit boxes every time

god I miss playing Huntsman sniper in TF2

FUCK YOU

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Bone and Sickle two parter on horror hosts was really something. There was a shockingly long time where you could make a good living by doing bad jokes in between bits of shitty horror movies

This discussion has been closed.