As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pondcasts Thread [Podcats Thread]

1848586878890»

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Rude Tales should switch to the Yuletide Kombat system full time

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    SCREECH OF THE FARGPoorochondriacJacobyMidniteDr. FlamingoFrylockHolmesSporkAndrew
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 14
    webguy20 wrote: »
    And the Rude Crew has talked in behind-the-scenes episodes about how they LOVE when they can go, "Oh, this is the mystery episode," "Oh, this is the haunted house episode." When they can perceive the boundaries, glean the context, it frees up the part of their brain looking for story, looking for structure, and it lets them focus on playing with/off of those tropes, let's them devote more processing power to finding jokes and delivering fun vocal performances. It gives them one less plate to spin, and they actively enjoy that.

Audience members going, "Hey, that thing you all like a lot and that makes your jobs easier and more enjoyable is Bad, Actually," would be maddening

NADDPOD has also talked about this. They've mentioned multiple times that a home game, and a game recorded for distribution are two different things. Everyone is putting on a show, and while the players could go fuck off and not go where the DM is hinting, it would make for a bad episode. There's trust between the two sides, that the DM is going to provide interesting scenarios, and that the players will take those scenarios and explore them in unique and interesting ways.

even in a home game, if i presented players with a quest hook and they just said "nah fuck it we're gonna go do something else," then one of two things is going to happen:

1. I railroad the shit out of them and introduce some kinda force that leaves them with no choice but to do the fuckin' content I've prepared
    2. I let them decide what they do, but unbeknownst to them it is absolutely just the content I've prepared with some serial numbers filed off

but also i would just have a discussion with them in advance about what kind of story we want to tell or what kind of adventure we wanna do so that we all start off on the same page

Speed Racer on
    Dex DynamoDoodmannNarbusPerrsunnever dieMagelleddizhere
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Y
    And the Rude Crew has talked in behind-the-scenes episodes about how they LOVE when they can go, "Oh, this is the mystery episode," "Oh, this is the haunted house episode." When they can perceive the boundaries, glean the context, it frees up the part of their brain looking for story, looking for structure, and it lets them focus on playing with/off of those tropes, let's them devote more processing power to finding jokes and delivering fun vocal performances. It gives them one less plate to spin, and they actively enjoy that.

Audience members going, "Hey, that thing you all like a lot and that makes your jobs easier and more enjoyable is Bad, Actually," would be maddening

NADDPOD has also talked about this. They've mentioned multiple times that a home game, and a game recorded for distribution are two different things. Everyone is putting on a show, and while the players could go fuck off and not go where the DM is hinting, it would make for a bad episode. There's trust between the two sides, that the DM is going to provide interesting scenarios, and that the players will take those scenarios and explore them in unique and interesting ways.

This exactly. Most times what you're hearing if you're hearing something in an AP that sounds "railroaded" is the result of the cast (players + GM) all agreeing "this is the story we're telling, and we're going to tell that story to the best of our abilities."

The other thing is, the only times I've done what I'd consider "railroading" on-mic was pretty consciously the result of a player telling me explicitly "I'm interested in reacting to a scenario you bring to the table." 9 times out of 10, if I'm bringing something to an AP game, it's the result of a player saying "I want to explore this and do this" before play, and me rolling with it. I don't think that's an uncommon AP experience, having the players pre-emptively say stuff they'd like to see happen, even if its just broad thematic "i want to make jokes and punch monsters" kinds of suggestion--which, when it happens onscreen and the player dives right into a hook, might FEEL like railroading, but is ultimately just a prenegotiated thing.

nightmarenny
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

even in a home game, if i presented players with a quest hook and they just said "nah fuck it we're gonna go do something else," then one of two things is going to happen:

1. I railroad the shit out of them and introduce some kinda force that leaves them with no choice but to do the fuckin' content I've prepared
    2. I let them decide what they do, but unbeknownst to them it is absolutely just the content I've prepared with some serial numbers filed off

but also i would just have a discussion with them in advance about what kind of story we want to tell or what kind of adventure we wanna do so that we all start off on the same page

Generally my group never gets to that point nowadays. I've adopted the technique of doing a sort of pitch document for several different adventures I'd like to run and have the players pick the thing they are interested in interacting with. Sometimes smaller choices might lead them off into one direction or the other but I time it so that they choice gets made at the end of the session or in between.

Actual plays have actually altered the way I dm a lot. I like to talk a lot with players about what they want out of a character and that tends to mean what happens isn't like, a total surprise but instead its something everybody at the table is naturally working towards.

Quire.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The Rude Tales one-off where Branson DMed Vampire: The Masquerade and openly despised the rules system any time he had to interact with it was pretty, pretty good

MidnitegodmodetynicFrylockHolmesdarunia106JuggernutDoodmannSporkAndrew
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    The railroading accusation is especially weird against Rude Tales. There are now multiple mini-arcs that have been created so far because cast members decided to do a more narratively “interesting” thing instead of going where they were obviously intended to. What happens each time is that the characters resolve their arc, then they return to their grander mission that they’ve been working on since the beginning. I don’t think Branson could control this group even if he wanted to, and he very clearly doesn’t.

crimsoncoyoteMidniteBahamutZEROSpeed RacerDex DynamoStraightzitynic
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Running a game can be a lot of work, and running a game for a show is even more work. The people who can't really grasp that there's more planning involved in an actual play show than there is in an average home game are extremely obnoxious, because...yeah, they probably sat down and said, "hey, here's the arc I want my character to go on," or whatever, and that's not the same as "it's scripted!" It's scripted is one of my favorite complaints, because there's just...a fundamental misunderstanding as to how much time that would take

Speed RacerMidniteDex Dynamowebguy20Poorochondriacnever dieMagellYoshisummonsDoodmann
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The Rude Tales one-off where Branson DMed Vampire: The Masquerade and openly despised the rules system any time he had to interact with it was pretty, pretty good

I mean, that's the right response to the actual White Wolf rules, to be fair

Kayne Red RobeMaddocStraightziReynoldsWeedLordVegeta
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Rolling a d20, telling Branson the number, and having him adjudicate based roughly on how high or low it feels is actually kind of the perfect "no rules" approach for how he actually runs a game.

It adds some level of randomness for him to work with but also throw that entire rulebook into the trash.

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Running a game can be a lot of work, and running a game for a show is even more work. The people who can't really grasp that there's more planning involved in an actual play show than there is in an average home game are extremely obnoxious, because...yeah, they probably sat down and said, "hey, here's the arc I want my character to go on," or whatever, and that's not the same as "it's scripted!" It's scripted is one of my favorite complaints, because there's just...a fundamental misunderstanding as to how much time that would take

But also that's a pretty good way to run a home game too! Ask people where they want their characters to go, people!

Quire.jpg
    Dex DynamogodmodeReynoldsSpeed RacerPoorochondriacdarunia106never dieStraightziWeedLordVegetaDoodmann
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Is it "inside of a gelatinous cube?" Because if so, I have fantastic news!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    nightmarennyZonugalMr FuzzbuttPerrsunPoorochondriacdarunia106ASimPersongodmodeHybridWeedLordVegeta
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if you think about it, isnt' all of existence just inside of a big metaphorical literal gelatinous cube

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    if you think about it, isnt' all of existence just inside of a big metaphorical literal gelatinous cube

No

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the unending agony feels like it could be from being digested alive by submersion in acidic slime, is all I'm sayin'

BahamutZERO.gif
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    i don't feel any agony at all i think that's just you

liEt3nH.png
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    actually can we make this swap? is that a thing? Is there a website somewhere where you can trade necessary life chores in a way that optimizes for your particular phobias?
    If not, there should be

to anyone reading, I will exchange a surf rescue of your small child for you calling my german bank to ask for a new 2-factor authorization letter.

My steak was cooked medium when I asked for medium rare; if you talk to this waiter for me, you got yourself a deal

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    tynicKayne Red Robe
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    actually can we make this swap? is that a thing? Is there a website somewhere where you can trade necessary life chores in a way that optimizes for your particular phobias?
    If not, there should be

to anyone reading, I will exchange a surf rescue of your small child for you calling my german bank to ask for a new 2-factor authorization letter.

My steak was cooked medium when I asked for medium rare; if you talk to this waiter for me, you got yourself a deal

As long as the steak is still tender and juicy, who cares what color the center is.

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    If not, there should be

As long as the steak is still tender and juicy, who cares what color the center is.

tj4hosrf8yk1.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Speed RacerturtleantNothingwebguy20Munkus BeaverCrippl3JedocVeldrinFrylockHolmestynicKayne Red RobeDouglasDangereddizhereA Dabble Of Thelonius
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Back when I lived in a compound with a bunch of friends, in exchange for various minor tasks I would field outbound phone calls for people for various things like setting up appointments, insurance, etc.

Jawing with strangers is fun for me but most of my friends loathe it

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I have one friend who comes over for board game nights sometimes and while we bemoan what we can order online and get delivered and whatever substitutions we might need and questions we have for an hour he'll just pick up his phone and call them at a moment's notice to get it immediately sorted out

Kayne Red Robe
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I heard some of y'all can still feel happiness and stuff.

Couldn't call it the Rape of Nanking because of the podcast app restrictions. It's about the Rape of Nanking.

Doodmann
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

I think Loose Duke might be up there with Lazer Ted and Territory Jazz as one of the greatest character names in actual play history

RCmKIvs.gif
    3034-4093-8537 on Switch
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited May 15
    Oh good we're talkin Rude Tales stuff.

The latest episode was pretty good but honestly I'm way more excited about Oh These Those these days. The one off style allows for a much broader spectrum of absolute stupidity that is nutrients for me, specifically.

The latest episode with the Baron, a puppet mortician that makes terrible death puns and a 16 foot tall cat had me actually stop working and walk off for a second so I could catch my breath.
    The tirade about taxidermying a large kid who fell asleep in a fire and posing him in a threatening manner so an insane man could put it in his house took two months off of my life I swear to god I was choking so hard.

Juggernut on
    DoodmannMidniteSporkAndrew
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The last Rude Tales had an ad for a podcast named Sonic Realms that has only had 40 episodes since 2017 and has a completely random upload schedule. Fair enough but I think it's a little late for advertising

t1iylq0d7o1p.png
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular

I think Loose Duke might be up there with Lazer Ted and Territory Jazz as one of the greatest character names in actual play history

If we're talking D20 let us not forget Chungledown Bim

Indie WinterWhippy
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    He's going to shit in your mouth!

RCmKIvs.gif
    3034-4093-8537 on Switch
    Whippy
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The Ranged Touch fellas travel to Colorado to see an opera and stay in a hotel.

At about 45 minutes in they cut to footage of them drunk, but trying not to be drunk, while their tour guide tells them Stanley Hotel stories.

MagellMortal SkyMidniteDarkPrimus
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    This week on Revolutions, starting as we mean to go on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    The Ranged Touch fellas travel to Colorado to see an opera and stay in a hotel.

At about 45 minutes in they cut to footage of them drunk, but trying not to be drunk, while their tour guide tells them Stanley Hotel stories.

Ah I wasn't sure if this documentary was going to be only available to their $5/month Patreon backers or not. Cool of them to make it available to everyone!

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • GustavGustav Registered User regular
    Alex Goldman and Emmanuel Dzotsi are leaving Reply All. Probably unsurprising as that podcast never really recovered from the Bon Appetit debacle.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I enjoyed some of the stuff they did since that incident, and I liked having some new energy in Emmanuel. I'll keep an eye on what they do elsewhere

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Discord: TenEightySnowboarding#1080
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Didn't they already attempt and immediately abandon RHCP?

cursedkingcaptainkDoodmann
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    It's about the new album

Discord: TenEightySnowboarding#1080
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah but I don't think they did all the old albums.

I never listened to any of it so maybe there's something I'm missing. Or maybe they also pivot out of talking RHCP on this very episode.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    captaink wrote: »

I never listened to any of it so maybe there's something I'm missing. Or maybe they also pivot out of talking RHCP on this very episode.

They covered everything in basically one long run-on sentence at the end of the Talking Heads series

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
    Mortal Sky
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 18
    Jason Mantzoukas and Scott Aukerman have been the two most recent guests on Newcomers. I really enjoyed the prior week too, with Caleb Hearon and Shelby Wolstein, they were very funny. But I think having actual comic readers really rounds it out nicely. They give great context and fill in some of the gaps when the Newcomers inevitably miss something. Nicole and Lauren usually end up liking the movie better because they can explain the stuff that was confusing and tell why they like a particular move while acknowledging its flaws.

They didn't like Civil War, though I think Jason warmed them up a little bit. They, shockingly, loved Dr. Strange. I can't figure that one out, it seemed like one of the more dense and arcane movies. But I guess they liked his real-world start and the crazy multiverse visuals. They both said they'd even rewatch it, likely with some edibles.

It also made me realize that I would really love the "Jason and Scott talk about comics" podcast they tease occasionally. I know they'll never do it though.

captaink on
    SporkAndrewmxmarks
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

They covered everything in basically one long run-on sentence at the end of the Talking Heads series

yeah at some point early on in the Talking Heads pivot I basically said "yeah you can summarize most of the interesting stuff that's happened in the history of RHCP in about two minutes" and they ended up doing exactly that

I don't even particularly dislike RHCP, they're just very adequate at doing permutations on a range of sounds that they found in the '80s and made formulaic in the early '90s

SporkAndrew