Options

[Overwatch 2] OWCS's First Major Begins Friday 2:00 PM ET

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    They'd better be buffing tanks to the fucking moon. Solo tanking was horrible before role lock

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    My gut reaction is not a fan, but IF (and it's a big if) they can rework tanks so that you don't feel like your job is just to get the shit kicked out of you and make people actually wanna play tank, this should help with queue times if nothing else

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Like, I'm trying not to overreact, but this is straight up killing what hype I had left for OW2. And all the reasoning they're putting forth for it is just, stupid to me.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Why do these animations look so janky? It looks like the game is playing at 1.5x speed or something.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i mean it's an in-development game, animation gonna be janky till the hour before the game goes gold

• Options
    lmao Zarya has 4 bubbles ok ok

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Wait it's not 4 it's a shared pool

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Now I don't have to care about OW2. Neat

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT OVERWATCH

we made changes

YOU CHANGED OVERWATCH HOW DARE YOU, I HATE IT

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I feel bad for all the pro off tanks. I'm sure some will still find a place on teams, but most will probably get dropped.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT OVERWATCH

we made changes

YOU CHANGED OVERWATCH HOW DARE YOU, I HATE IT

Yes obviously if people want changes, they should be happy with ANY change even it removes one of the best parts of the game. That's how it works.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    They took out the Mei freeze, fuckin cowards

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'll wait to see how the balancing shakes out but the new UI is just so boring

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    They took out the Mei freeze, fuckin cowards

I've wanted this for so long.

• Options
    i'll wait to see how the balancing shakes out but the new UI is just so boring

I can't really see any differences in the UI besides the obvious characater specific improvements to clarity that they've shown

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I think the font is different. Not sure if it's a placeholder or they're moving away from the old one that was more stylized.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    My impressions so far are...

1) ...the large quantity of changes to core mechanics (e.g. 5 v 5) and the simultaneous need for continuity with Overwatch 1 leads to a tough problem of transitioning existing characters to a new paradigm so balance/playtesting is going to be huge
    2) ...I'm not learning a whole lot about how good/bad the current OW2 version is because these demo players aren't great.
    3) ...the map art and sound design are still top notch.
    4) ...OWL teams will still need multiple tank players because no one player can be top level at all tanks, but there will be attrition among off-tank players.

You may now roast your marshmallows on the hot takes.

Edit: Sub-hot take on 4, its possible off-tanks may be better off due to their flexibility.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    everything is squarer and flatter and blander

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    My hot take is that dang these new maps are pretty af

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    everything is squarer and flatter and blander

Ah yeah you're right everything is like a perfect rectangle now

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    With most changes you really won't know how they work until you actually play them so it's kind of a wait and see deal.

You also have to take into account other changes such as the CC nerfs on DPS. Things generally don't work in a vacuum and whole 1 tank sucks for OW1 it might not for OW2

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    My take is why did they not have Aaron Keller talking the entire time? I like Geoff and Dion seems cool, but for the first time seeing Aaron in the Jeff Kaplan role he seems built for it.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Sinatraa streamed last night for the first time since being outed and OGE donated 20 subs in chat. He claims he thought sinatraa was innocent because he doesn't speak English, but with the help of his friend he now understands and regrets it Yikes

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ito1xgzcj9ev.png

seems like a questionable hire to me

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    5v5 is something that I've thought made more sense for OW at a fundamental level but thought the game was just too far along to really adjust. Clearly the dev team told me to shut the fuck up and that I'm wrong.

Someone mentioned that the play they showed looks sluggish and I want to point out that they talked about that iteration having movement acceleration for all characters (think Counter Strike movement where you don't immediately reach full speed or change direction, just not as strong as in CS). This was not a final decision. The other factor is that no one in that play test looked like they knew what was going on so they're individual reactions were very slow. That one Hog player was solid but the opposing Reinhardt was dire.

SirToasty on
  • Options
  • Options
    I can understand concern around going to 1 tank, the interplay between main and off tank is an iconic and fun part of the game. Playing classic tank duos with a friend is a lot of fun.

OTOH over the years the defining aspect of most metas has been which tank combo is the most powerful, and tank balance is routinely limited to not letting those combos be too OP when combined with another tank. Even 2/2/2 came about as a response to the how powerful stacking tanks was, as teams would dominate by running 3 or 4. So because tanks are so powerful the game really revolves around fighting to force out tank resources and cooldowns.

By removing one tank you really open up a lot more options to balance tanks and give each of them a very strong niche without having to worry about how they stack up. You can also reduce the overall level of healing in the game, since if you have enough healing to keep 2 tanks up you have enough healing to make it super hard to kill anything else, too. Custa on his stream pointed out that even with the low SR matches we were watching, pay attention to how much time players got to spend actually shooting at other heroes, instead of shooting to only break barriers or walls or force out cooldowns. It's a big difference.

It's not like I hate 2/2/2, especially since we're in a pretty good meta right now, but I think 5-man teams would probably do a lot for overall game balance and speed.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    ito1xgzcj9ev.png

Doug Ford to replace Kaplan, sorry all, we had to get him out of Ontario somehow

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ito1xgzcj9ev.png

Doug Ford to replace Kaplan, sorry all, we had to get him out of Ontario somehow

There will be a reckoning.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    paris/toronto
    paris are looking much better than i thought they would, ngl

• Options
    One of the casters (Josh?) Keeps saying "just about" where I would use "just barely" and it drives me crazy. Is this just a regionalism? I've never heard it used in that way that is basically the opposite of what I know it to mean.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    One of the casters (Josh?) Keeps saying "just about" where I would use "just barely" and it drives me crazy. Is this just a regionalism? I've never heard it used in that way that is basically the opposite of what I know it to mean.

That's Bren. Not sure why he does that but it drives me nuts too.

• Options
    Florida vs London
    Weird how Bren and Sideshow always get the toilet bowls (this applies to the previous game, too). Florida looked like a bottom five team today and they were only saved by individual plays.

• Options
    NYE/PHI spoilers
    God DAMN it Phili you had ONE JOB.

• Options
    Baidol wrote: »
    NYE/PHI spoilers
    God DAMN it Phili you had ONE JOB.
    I feel like Philly definitely played down to them, but NYXL 100% showed up ready to play. That was not the same NY team we've seen up till now, like damn.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    My beloved Mystery Heroes is gone.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Yeah we were kinda bummed about that last night

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I am upset.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    i do not like any of these arcade modes >:(

i want my easy boxes dammit!

• Options
    Just play comp DM and go Hog.