As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    You should see Le Petit Spirou.
    51neH9IOtUL.jpg
    This is considered children's comics, incidentally.

It IS a children's comic.
    And a pretty funny one at that. :)

Yeah, I have several albums. They're great. Don't know if any more are coming out, though; Tome died in 2019.

oh fuck, i didn't know.

The Tome/Janry era of Spirou (shippuden) is what i grew up on. such good comics.

Le Petit Spirou was also very funny it's true.

The Vito "the Unlucky" Cortizone albums are the best :heartbeat:

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Finally watching Final Space. I kind of had to power through season one, but so far season two has seemed to have found a much better balance between wackiness and drama compared to the first season.

Less focus on KVN and with that less Fred Armisen certainly helps

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Got around to continuing my watch of Final Space and by god does season 2 feel like a very different show than season 1. The main character acts significantly differently than he did in the first season, plus the humor's not as wacky and obtrusive in the serious moments like it was in the first one. I also thought this was just a sci-fi show, but there's a ton of weird concepts I was not expecting at all.
    For example, the main character just drank some liquid space-time and is now having a vision where tall alien ghost things are pointing at a tree made of fused corpses and intoning "CLIMB. CLIMB."

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Heh, yeah, I remember that. Fun times. Fun, horrifying space times. I'll miss it.

I recently stumbled across a show that's a little bit Final Space and a little bit Rick and Morty. 10 minute eps with a heavy emphasis on humour. Pretty consistently funny, with a moment that had me in real hysterics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg5CQlzWX8Q&ab_channel=RottenTomatoesTV

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Man this show's got legs. Season 2 is confirmed as well.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Just saw an ad for this show and I just... I don't know. It's from Stephen Colbert but to me it doesn't seem like it will be that good.

https://youtu.be/xra3CyQZ690

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ it's like South Park and Xbox avatars had a baby.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Looks like one of those mobile game ads that always fail at the end to try to get you to play the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    My dream reboot is Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. It basically did Firefly decades before Firefly.

No guts, no glory...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmDckVV5vxQ

I don't really recall watching the show when I was a kid, but I did like the opening quite a bit. It kind of reminds me of Kenny Loggins' sound.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Just saw an ad for this show and I just... I don't know. It's from Stephen Colbert but to me it doesn't seem like it will be that good.

https://youtu.be/xra3CyQZ690

That is the most generic, uninspired cheap ass looking art style I've ever seen and it's actively off-putting to look at.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    My theory with Fairwiew is South Park is ending this season and doing those movies for paramount plus so Comedy central thinks they need a show about a small town full of crazy people that looks ugly as hell to replace it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    South Park definitely isn't ending this season - it's been renewed for Comedy Central through 2027.

But holy shit, with Fairview it's just amazing how something that was made to look "good" can be so unappealing compared to something that looks "bad" but has plenty of appeal.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I was kinda hoping for more Our Cartoon President. Guess that'll have to wait 'til 2024!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    So I finally watched Over the Garden Wall. It's pretty great!

However when having a look for interesting video essays that maybe talk about the themes you mostly get a lot of clickbaity "What is the Beast" or "What is the Unknown" stuff which really feels like it's missing the point. I'm reminded of that video about Annihilation.

But yeah Over the Garden Wall is wonderful. I've decided it's because Christopher Lloyd is in it.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    My dream reboot is Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. It basically did Firefly decades before Firefly.

No guts, no glory...
    I don't really recall watching the show when I was a kid, but I did like the opening quite a bit. It kind of reminds me of Kenny Loggins' sound.

This is one of those shows that I remember watching and, over the decades, I've occasionally seen something that reminds me of that weird cartoon with the space cowboys but beyond that I have absolutely no recollection of any details from the show.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Smiling Friends (and Birdgirl?) Have been picked up for another season

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Surprise! Not only is the Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers movie coming in May, it's basically a modern-day Who Framed Roger Rabbit. With actual Roger Rabbit in it.

https://youtu.be/dK1CuXG7GMQ

Yes, Chip is hand-drawn while Dale is CGI throughout pretty much the entire trailer.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    That doesn't look hand drawn to me. He's also CGI but with cel shading.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Surprise! Not only is the Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers movie coming in May, it's basically a modern-day Who Framed Roger Rabbit. With actual Roger Rabbit in it.

Yes, Chip is hand-drawn while Dale is CGI throughout pretty much the entire trailer.

Ok, So I spotted David Tennant's laugh for Scrooge, so that's good news.
    Saw some My Little Ponies, friendship is magic, so that's fun.
    Weirdly, of the main cast, we only see Gadget in the past, not current Gadget, while the rest gets trailer time.
    I'm kind of glad they didn't chipmunk-ify the voices, even though it comes of as weird in the trailer. While it's iconic, I noticed with the Ducktales reboot how rough the "funny voices" are if you have to listen to them long, Donald is awesome in it, but his voice....

I'm slightly optimistic for this, weirdly enough.

Don't agree with the opening about "2 unknown chipmunks" though. Chip & Dale shorts were well known before Rescue Rangers, and very beloved, especially the ones pairing them against Donald. Heck, they even had a reboot of the shorts last year, and even that's great.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The trailer would have been a lot better without audio. The soundscape is just so horribly generic and cynical.

• Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The trailer would have been a lot better without audio. The soundscape is just so horribly generic and cynical.

The first 30 seconds is the old theme song.
    My nostalgia is straight up telling me it slaps.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    That doesn't look hand drawn to me. He's also CGI but with cel shading.

Yeah, the Rangers are all clearly CGI done up as hand-drawn. Other stuff looks like it could be hand-drawn, but it ain't the Rangers.

• Options

It looks like a fun movie, but the voices for Chip and Dale are very off-putting. I know they went with well known actors, but the least they could do is up pitch them a bit.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    After Hot Rod and PopStar I'm willing to give Lonely Island the benefit of the doubt. Plus, it'll be on D+ and this looks like the perfect film to sit on the couch and smoke a bowl or two whilst watching.

• Options
    I'd much have preferred a DuckTales style cartoon reboot than this wannabe Roger Rabbit shit

• Options
    This seems like it would only make a Rescue Rangers reboot less likely.

• Options
    I'd much have preferred a DuckTales style cartoon reboot than this wannabe Roger Rabbit shit

They could've just used this as a backdoor pilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc1w4UYykMQ

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Calling it now for the Rescue rangers movie
    Gadget is the villian

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Okay, I'll admit I'm curious about whatever kind of strange world this takes place in.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Seems like it's in the Roger Rabbit universe and there is a new Bad CG town.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Okay, I'll admit I'm curious about whatever kind of strange world this takes place in.

Hollywood.

• Options
    Calling it now for the Rescue rangers movie
    Gadget is the villian
    She's going to be what Jessica Rabbit was accused of. Will probably wear the same dress.

• Options
    Here's another weird animation revival: we're getting a Bloom County animated series. You know:

_medium.jpeg

Berke Breathed is executive producing and co-writing.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022

I kinda hope it's largely populated with unique content, and like... not another "hey lets trot out stuff people might have nostalgia for" or memefest.

It's unlikely that I'll watch it, but you know... it'll make my soul feel a little better if studio executives have started to think it is not an acceptable alternative to content.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Here's another weird animation revival: we're getting a Bloom County animated series. You know:

...huh.

Well hot crackers, why not. I loved Bloom County.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i want the higher pitched voices...it just seems jarring to not have the squeakiness.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Beavis & Butthead is getting a new movie, along with new episodes.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    They've rebutted that one some many times I just can't pretend to care

Atleast the Daria thing could be good

• Options
    I knew Andre would love this
    https://youtu.be/vAtC-ZScvt0