As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join my coven [chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I could 100% believe we faked the moon landing.

I don't think we did, but I think the technical capabilities were absolutely there to make it happen and it makes for a fun story to talk about.

Making particulates and dust float the way they do in low gravity vacuum is incredibly complex and I would argue impossible pre modern CGI

If, IF there was a soundstage couldn't you use a sealed tank pumped with helium or nitrogen or something (since they're in suits) and just raise the buoyancy of shit floating around?

There's a youtube video of a bunch of SFX experts explaining why it's impossible to have been faked.

If I remember right the two big issues are the way the objects look in the videos don't make sense if it's a sound stage, the way the dust and such moves only works if there is NO gas present at all.

IIRC the lighting was basically impossible to recreate w/o spending more than we did on the rockets we used to get to the moon, and that's assuming they had secret advanced lighting techniques that didn't exist back then anyways.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

that person's twitter page is definitely nsfw

omg female presenting nipples did anyone alert the cops weee ooooo weeee ooooo

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Oh shit it's a page 100... who got the most Chanus agrees?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    employees: can we get more bathrooms, maybe a quiet area with a couch? 10 more seconds to pick each item so our bodies stop crumbling to dust?

amazon: how about a thin, upright coffin with no noise-proofing

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Oh shit it's a page 100... who got the most Chanus agrees?

tweest it was me

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    employees who die inside the coffin will have funeral costs deducted from their final pay check

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    what the FUCK is up with my facebook recommends lately?

The latest: An ad for a streaming service that censors "The bad stuff."

rotef5mked21.png

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Chanus wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

that person's twitter page is definitely nsfw

omg female presenting nipples did anyone alert the cops weee ooooo weeee ooooo
    thank you for the report we're gonna investigate thoroughly

Elendil on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I love that of all the megacorps Amazon went full hog on the whole dystopia thing.

They'll buy a city one day. I've said it a dozen times I know but Amazon will become OCP

Robot drones, the whole thing.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    employees who die inside the coffin will have funeral costs deducted from their final pay check

Do they get free shipping to the cemetery if they are prime members?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Let's watch Contagion without the bad stuff of the con artist selling snake oil basically getting away with it because 2 reel 4 m3

• Options
    yes show me four movies with no kissing please

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

rotef5mked21.png

lol "immodesty"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It would be significantly harder to fake the moon landing than it would be to actually do it. If you upgrade the cameras and broadcast tech to 2021 standards, then this still holds today.

There are tons of details that make it extremely unlikely to be fake, having to do with the broadcast to the technical task of editing, to the contents of the images.

The broadcast was long and involved too many people to control information on. Ground control parts of the broadcast were demonstrably live and had an public audience. The logistics of syncing that life performance to premade tapes from the moon would be near impossible to do perfectly.

forensic analysis of the moon video says it came hot off an analog camera or off a tape. There is no film grain on it and it distorts like analog video. video tape wasn't invented yet and you certainly couldn't edit video them for special effects. everything would have needed to be done live and in-camera. the effects shown are WAY beyond that

the lighting in the moon videos suggests a single point source ~infinitely far away which is nearly impossible to produce on a sound stage. it would have to be colossal. dust and debris move naturally for 1/6 gravity with no atmosphere, hard to fake today, impossible then.

the list goes on. moon landing being fake doesn't even remotely pass the smell test for plausibility.

All you've done is proven that, since the moon landing is fake, the government must have had access to sophisticated CG for decades before it became popular, and that's also how they faked JFK's assassination

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i didn't say take the sex out

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i've always wanted a service that turns HBO shows into tiktoks

• Options

rotef5mked21.png

Immodesty? Is this the Saudi version of Netflix?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

[img]https://us.v-cdn.net/ 5018289/uploads/editor/k0/rotef5mked21.png[/img]

lol "immodesty"
    Right below the cut there's settings for "ankles" and "hand-holding".

• Options
    Streaming, brought to you by the Amish.

• Options
    Tav wrote: »
    i've always wanted a service that turns HBO shows into tiktoks

removing all the bad stuff results in 60 second shows is i assume what you mean

• Options

um....

okay...

Alien
    Fury Road
    Reservoir Dogs

That took like five minutes.

• Options
    There's lots of kissing in Alien!

what do you mean that's not kissing

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

um....

okay...

Alien
    Fury Road
    Reservoir Dogs

Does Sigourney Weaver kiss the kitteh in Alien?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    There's lots of kissing in Alien!

what do you mean that's not kissing

It's just face hugging...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

um....

okay...

Alien
    Fury Road
    Reservoir Dogs

Does Sigourney Weaver kiss the kitteh in Alien?

I think that's in Aliens

• Options
    if i get the chat it is going to be terrible just a heads up

• Options
    edited May 2021
    oh is this one of those technicalities where it's called something else if you use the second mouth inside your mouth to do it

Donkey Kong on
  • Options

I'm not usually active near the end of a chat, so I'm sitting here hoping it's not me because I don't wanna let people down but I also wanna go get lunch.

• Options
    I don't know if anyone kissed anyone in Guardians of the Galaxy either.

• Options
    If I get chat it's gonna be TNG chat

• Options

I'm not usually active near the end of a chat, so I'm sitting here hoping it's not me because I don't wanna let people down but I also wanna go get lunch.

just let people down no one will mind

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    letting people down is my middle name

• Options
    geth doesn't seem to be infatuated with me anymore which has been nice frankly

• Options
    geth gives chat to chanus in 3. 2. 1.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 1.2

@amateurhour will create the new thread
    @Athenor is backup

This discussion has been closed.