Options

Old Job thread

AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened OptimistThe Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
edited August 2021 in Social Entropy++
I've finally got my marching orders. Thanks to "Seniority" my return to the office date is set for July 26th.

Personally, I could return earlier, because I don't mind, but I am going to seriously miss seeing the sun and the fresh air and the like that working from home affords.

Sounds like our WFH program isn't changing either. Up to 2 days a week (any more and we're wasting office space), and a team has to have a day where everyone's in the office together.

Working in IT, especially university IT, I'm desperately worried that this is going to limit our ability to find talented staff even more. The pay was already way lower than industry standards. Benefits are becoming less and less attractive, outside of vacation days and the like. And now.. well, true remote's still off the table, as is having people from outside the general area (because if we feel our commute is too long, we should move closer! Grrr....)

My job is super stable and I do enjoy it. But more and more I feel like I'm reaching the limit of where I can go, and it feels like the super big structural changes we need to have happen... there's very little appetite for them. I wonder if the new University president will consider this.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
Athenor on

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I burn most of my leave each year, maybe roll over a thirdish each year. Getting close to my rollover cap though, so I'm going to have to start taking the extra hours. Might actually hit it this year with this 12 weeks of parental leave I'm on.

Like 3 more years and I earn an extra 2 hours per pay period and then I ain't ever working a full week again.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    I maybe did a thing to protect the planet but to also enact revenge. I'm not sure how that balances out in the grand scheme of things but I think I'm making the right decision. At least I hope I am.

Did you destroy someone's car with a hand powered steamroller?

Ummm, more like Captain Planet if he was fueled by the rage of a dying sun.

I am really curious about what you did, but at this point I'm starting to think there's a good reason you haven't said.

Whatever it was, I hope it was glorious :biggrin:
    I am blowing whistles toot toot

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hello New Job Thread. My new job has been going pretty well. Nothing crazy, though busier than expected, but that's pretty fine. Benefits kicked in right away, so that was pretty aces.
    The one downside is that my department will probably not ever return to office on a full time basis. For me, for my learning style, not being around people is a real detriment. Also it makes me feel bad for the co-worker who moved out here from the midwest in the middle of winter, but I don't really think it's my place to say that she got screwed around.
    The worst part about it is the fact that I had been considering moving anyway, but if I'm permanently WFH, then I really need a bigger desk and an extra bedroom, which ain't free. But not being fulltime WFH, going into the office like once a week, means I am stuck in this market instead of going to a bigger city and taking the advantages that come with a major metro area, or going someplace substantially cheaper, like out to the coast.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    continuing the comments of PTo from the previous thread
    I am really looking forward to this weekend as it's a mega weekend for 4 whole days where I will sleep! and don't have to go to work for 4 whole days! then when I return it's only for 3 days then the weekend again!

With what happened it's even better I just have tonight! * see previous thread

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'll find out Tuesday what's happening to us in regards to WFH. I would really like to not have to drive into the city every day, please let me stay remote

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    We're ending WFH sometime over the summer but the division at large will still get some WFH time (x days/week, probably). MOST of our team is getting 1wk/mo wfh. Except a third of our team works at a different location that is customer facing so apparently they, just, can't? Have any wfh time? And I'm just, completely baffled that nobody even seems to care. Like just fuck those guys, apparently?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The jobs are returning to the office. Nature is healing.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    said the boss-man!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My PTO expires 1August and with everything going on I haven't been able to use it most of the year. So I took this past week off, then I'm working two weeks, off for a week and a half, then off another week in July.

I took a quick look at my work phone earlier and saw nine waiting voicemails which, I think with our shitty plan, is about the limit to voicemails. So uh.. Tuesday should be fun!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    We hired a consultant to upgrade our telework policy and the bosses can't explicitly say it but I'm pretty sure we're just going to continue operating as is until that policy is in place.

Which means I'll be WFH for the indefinite future. I've been here 365+ days and have still not been to the office since that first day

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My work is forcing return to the office.

So I am looking at an apartment a 3 minute walk from work. I enjoy having no commute too much.

It also sounds like I’ll still be able to WFH 1 day a week, which you’ll bet I’ll still take advantage of even to avoid a 3 minute commute

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Inquisitor wrote: »

So I am looking at an apartment a 3 minute walk from work. I enjoy having no commute too much.

It also sounds like I’ll still be able to WFH 1 day a week, which you’ll bet I’ll still take advantage of even to avoid a 3 minute commute

The commute sucks but I'm more annoyed that the rest of my team is functionally getting a pay raise, since the wfh time they get but I don't will cost me a little over 3% a year in auto maintenance.

That they'll also be getting about 6% more free time is just part of the benefit.

Tox on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I maybe did a thing to protect the planet but to also enact revenge. I'm not sure how that balances out in the grand scheme of things but I think I'm making the right decision. At least I hope I am.

I am really curious about what you did, but at this point I'm starting to think there's a good reason you haven't said.

You are a really useful engine, and you are going to get a shiny new coat of paint.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

The commute sucks but I'm more annoyed that the rest of my team is functionally getting a pay raise, since the wfh time they get but I don't will cost me a little over 3% a year in auto maintenance.

That they'll also be getting about 6% more free time is just part of the benefit.

Ugh that sucks.

I’ll be ditching my car, and relying on my partners.

Which is really for the best, kinda amazed I have survived this long driving the death trap that is a 2004 Dodge Neon.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

We're gonna hear about this on the news aren't we?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the comments about the remarkable thing.

I'm not sure what I would use it for just yet, but it's likely nothing that I can't do with a tablet

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My favorite doll artist, Danny Choo, got asked by someone on Twitter to "meet demand" because he wasn't crafting enough of one of the licensed dolls that was just released yesterday so that everyone who wanted one could have one. He wrote up a response here. Danny can sometimes be "mean" to people who try to tell him how to run his production, but this is a case where he said what had to be said.

You can read the whole thing at the link if you wish, this is just an excerpt:
    JAPAN WORK CULTURE

The work culture in Japan is notorious for long work hours, so much so that there is even a word to describe dying from overwork - Karoshi [過労死]. Some of these deaths derive from health conditions that deteriorate from overworking and then some of it is due to suicide.

On December 17th 2015, a young lady called Takahashi who was working for one of the biggest advertising agencies in Japan, posted on twitter "Being in the office 20 hours a day, I have no idea what the purpose of life is - it's such a joke."

A few days later on Christmas day, she jumped to her death.

Dying from overwork in Japan is a major problem. Do a search for 自殺 [jisatsu] (suicide) and 過労死 [karoshi] (death from overwork) and you will find reports by the Japanese government on the subject.

When I first came to Japan to work, I experienced something that I will never forget.

It was late in the evening and some colleagues were still in the office. I was relatively new learning the ropes, so I asked them, "why don't you go home?" to which they replied, "well, the boss is still here."
    I then asked the boss, "why are you still here" to which he replied, "well my staff are still here..."
    I put on my jackie-chan-mind-blown mask and went home.

One of the reasons why there is continued opposition against having transport running 24/7 in Tokyo is because employees would not be able to use the "boss, I need to catch the last midnight train so please pardon me for leaving before you" excuse.

I've been working in the Japanese creative industry for over a decade and have many peers working in anime, game and hobby companies. Most of them would be lucky to leave work between 8 and 10 PM but many stay until the last train leaves. If they try to leave at 6 PM, colleagues would say "what? you leaving already?" [え?もう帰るの?] - such a common phrase in the Japanese workplace that it has over 100 million results on Google.

Just imagine being able to leave work at 9 PM - Tokyo commute average time 1 hour. Get home at 10 PM. Have dinner, poo and a shower. How much personal time is left before you have to sleep and get up for the next day of work?

As an employee previously working in Japanese corporate life, I know what it feels like not getting enough time to relax outside of work. Now that I have employees, my first and foremost priority is to ensure that the team gets enough of their own time to relax, play games, study, or work on their side gigs - even if it means less income for the company.

HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?

You would often hear in the news a CEO or VP talk about revenue targets or how many shops they want to open this year and that they aim to be the biggest and best in the industry.

But why do they need so much money? To make more stuff and open more shops to make more money to do the same over and over again? Is it because the founder needs the money to build a house on Mars?

As for me - I prefer Earth - especially after seeing so much of its beautiful nature. It does not make sense to spend my most precious commodity (time) chasing more money that I can't spend in my remaining lifetime.

I need Earth to be around to make a house on it one day - meaning that I will not be pumping more carbon into the atmosphere by creating more than I need.

Money is important to keep the company running, but it will never be important enough for me to trade it for time. Not unless I can buy a DeLorean with a built-in flux capacitor.
    WHERE DID THE PROFESSIONALISM GO?

One day out of the blue, a customer showed up at our store waving a credit card in our face asking us to take payment on the spot and pass them a Smart Doll immediately.

We told them that we had been closed since the beginning of the pandemic and that communication about our closure is on our website and on Google Maps together with our address which they used to locate us.

I told the customer that even if we did have the components to make the Smart Doll, they would have to wait a few days after payment was made online.

The customer didn't want to leave without a doll and said we should be more professional as a company and do everything to meet their needs.

I mentioned that I could ask the team to stay behind after hours to assemble the product. The customer seemed to be OK with this.

I removed my jackie-chan-mind-blown face and replaced it with a troll-face and told them I had no intention of asking the team to stay behind and that the customer should leave immediately.

If such entitled consumers don't care about our people, we don't care about their money. Money does not buy a ticket to entitlement in Smart Doll Land.

So, where did our "professionalism" go? It wasn't there in the first place.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

Ugh that sucks.

I’ll be ditching my car, and relying on my partners.

Which is really for the best, kinda amazed I have survived this long driving the death trap that is a 2004 Dodge Neon.

Oh yeah and that just reminded me that we're actually already down a car, so we get to buy a new one in the next month or so.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Problem child is leaving because of allergies after....2 hours of work.

I am annoyed at their behavior and their work ethic due to this and other reasons but.....who the fuq left that much food in the vehicle?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My favorite doll artist, Danny Choo, got asked by someone on Twitter to "meet demand" because he wasn't crafting enough of one of the licensed dolls that was just released yesterday so that everyone who wanted one could have one. He wrote up a response here. Danny can sometimes be "mean" to people who try to tell him how to run his production, but this is a case where he said what had to be said.

You can read the whole thing at the link if you wish, this is just an excerpt:
    JAPAN WORK CULTURE

The work culture in Japan is notorious for long work hours, so much so that there is even a word to describe dying from overwork - Karoshi [過労死]. Some of these deaths derive from health conditions that deteriorate from overworking and then some of it is due to suicide.

On December 17th 2015, a young lady called Takahashi who was working for one of the biggest advertising agencies in Japan, posted on twitter "Being in the office 20 hours a day, I have no idea what the purpose of life is - it's such a joke."

A few days later on Christmas day, she jumped to her death.

Dying from overwork in Japan is a major problem. Do a search for 自殺 [jisatsu] (suicide) and 過労死 [karoshi] (death from overwork) and you will find reports by the Japanese government on the subject.

When I first came to Japan to work, I experienced something that I will never forget.

It was late in the evening and some colleagues were still in the office. I was relatively new learning the ropes, so I asked them, "why don't you go home?" to which they replied, "well, the boss is still here."
    I then asked the boss, "why are you still here" to which he replied, "well my staff are still here..."
    I put on my jackie-chan-mind-blown mask and went home.

One of the reasons why there is continued opposition against having transport running 24/7 in Tokyo is because employees would not be able to use the "boss, I need to catch the last midnight train so please pardon me for leaving before you" excuse.

I've been working in the Japanese creative industry for over a decade and have many peers working in anime, game and hobby companies. Most of them would be lucky to leave work between 8 and 10 PM but many stay until the last train leaves. If they try to leave at 6 PM, colleagues would say "what? you leaving already?" [え?もう帰るの?] - such a common phrase in the Japanese workplace that it has over 100 million results on Google.

Just imagine being able to leave work at 9 PM - Tokyo commute average time 1 hour. Get home at 10 PM. Have dinner, poo and a shower. How much personal time is left before you have to sleep and get up for the next day of work?

As an employee previously working in Japanese corporate life, I know what it feels like not getting enough time to relax outside of work. Now that I have employees, my first and foremost priority is to ensure that the team gets enough of their own time to relax, play games, study, or work on their side gigs - even if it means less income for the company.

HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?

You would often hear in the news a CEO or VP talk about revenue targets or how many shops they want to open this year and that they aim to be the biggest and best in the industry.

But why do they need so much money? To make more stuff and open more shops to make more money to do the same over and over again? Is it because the founder needs the money to build a house on Mars?

As for me - I prefer Earth - especially after seeing so much of its beautiful nature. It does not make sense to spend my most precious commodity (time) chasing more money that I can't spend in my remaining lifetime.

I need Earth to be around to make a house on it one day - meaning that I will not be pumping more carbon into the atmosphere by creating more than I need.

Money is important to keep the company running, but it will never be important enough for me to trade it for time. Not unless I can buy a DeLorean with a built-in flux capacitor.
    WHERE DID THE PROFESSIONALISM GO?

One day out of the blue, a customer showed up at our store waving a credit card in our face asking us to take payment on the spot and pass them a Smart Doll immediately.

We told them that we had been closed since the beginning of the pandemic and that communication about our closure is on our website and on Google Maps together with our address which they used to locate us.

I told the customer that even if we did have the components to make the Smart Doll, they would have to wait a few days after payment was made online.

The customer didn't want to leave without a doll and said we should be more professional as a company and do everything to meet their needs.

I mentioned that I could ask the team to stay behind after hours to assemble the product. The customer seemed to be OK with this.

I removed my jackie-chan-mind-blown face and replaced it with a troll-face and told them I had no intention of asking the team to stay behind and that the customer should leave immediately.

If such entitled consumers don't care about our people, we don't care about their money. Money does not buy a ticket to entitlement in Smart Doll Land.

So, where did our "professionalism" go? It wasn't there in the first place.

Japanese work culture has improved a bit since the 80s but it is still dumb as hell and I will never miss a chance to rant about it and eviscerate people who support it on either side of the customer/corporate line.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    and to make it even worse, a lot of that overtime is a total waste of time because they don't actually have anything to do, it's entirely to keep up appearances

• Options
    I wanna shake the people and remind them YOU HAVE A LIFE TO RETURN TO

EVEN YOU, DUMBASS BOSS MAN, GET THE FUCK OUT IF HERE.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

how many of them actually don't? :(

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Listen, I don't have a super interesting life at home, but even going home to play video games, watch Netflix, or just lay in bed and masturbate is better than spending all your life at work.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    and to make it even worse, a lot of that overtime is a total waste of time because they don't actually have anything to do, it's entirely to keep up appearances

Isn't it also a thing where after-work drinking is sometimes made mandatory, meaning even more loss of personal time at random?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Listen, I don't have a super interesting life at home, but even going home to play video games, watch Netflix, or just lay in bed and masturbate is better than spending all your life at work.

What if your job is to lay in bed and masturbate?!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Then you're living the dream, friend.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Brings a whole new meaning to "the daily grind"

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Isn't it also a thing where after-work drinking is sometimes made mandatory, meaning even more loss of personal time at random?

it's not like, mandatory mandatory, but in a lot of cases there's a ton of overt pressure to spend time with your boss/supervisor/higher-ups after work, for sure

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I work 35 hours a week (and get 5 hours lunch, which is all flexible).

I've worked more than that on occasion because there's been a vulnerable person who has needed a bit more attention. But not often. And other than that? Nah I ain't working. Which fortunately is something my organisation actively encourages.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    After working part-time 25-30 hours during parental leave I can tell you that the 40 hour week is such bullshit. Utter, utter bullshit.

• Options
    edited May 2021

Then go home and build one, I rebuilt my life like 8 separate times at this point with all the places I've lived on opposite ends of the globe, these people don't even have to move! Watch 10 youtube videos and start a hobby! make it a social hobby and build a group of plucky, close-knit friends who are always there for each other! Write and animate an entire anime based on your (mis)adventures! Whoops, now you got a pretty lucrative deal from one of the many publishers and now you have an entirely new job to leave from at a reasonable hour!

sarukun on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    My plan is to stay in Japan for good, but I'm banking on my ability to get hired by one of the hundreds of IT companies that hires foreigners and is run like a European or American company when the day comes that I can no longer work for my current organization. I don't think I have the patience for a Japanese-style office, I think I'd sooner change careers.

godmode on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    My plan is to stay in Japan for good, but I'm banking on my ability to get hired by one of the hundreds of IT companies that hires foreigners and is run like a European or American company when the day comes that I can no longer work for my current organization. I don't think I have the patience for a Japanese-style office, I think I'd sooner change careers.
    That sounds like a great idea.

It's essentially what Tokyo Llama does, he works for Lenovo, bought an abandoned townhouse and renovated it . He and his family were living with his wife's family while he was busy with all that and now they've moved in and they can just work from home, are a 15 min walk to the train to enter Tokyo within 45 mins and seem to be genuinely happy living out in the "sticks"* with their family.

*Japan is weird: a 10 minute walk to a reliable train that takes you right to downtown Tokyo is considered "far away".

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    It’s what almost my entire friend network in Japan does. The people I know who work for non-Japanese companies far outnumber the rest. With that said, the majority of people I spend time with are foreigners themselves, and our Japanese friends probably hang out with us because they are more foreigner-minded.
    I’m at least set for a few more years so I don’t have to worry about it for a while.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Apparently when we were in the office in the before times my coworker (coincidentally the only one I've met) would on the dot at 5pm everyday walk into everyone's office and yell at them to go home. Bosses included.

Work life balance is very important in my workplace which I'm very thankful for

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Making that holiday pay today.

Downside, allergies and sore muscles woke me up at 1am and I never was able to get back to sleep.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Got the announcement we're not getting a new office, they sold off the old building and I was surprised to hear they were looking at new buildings for the back to work plan.

Seems like for us Canadian employees we will remain permanent WFH, I guess that extra cash they were saving was too good to pass up.

We've gone from 20+ physical offices, to only 3 major offices, and 3 smaller hubs.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yuck

Friendly reminder, you don't owe your workplace a goddamned thing "extra"

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Making that holiday pay today.

Downside, allergies and sore muscles woke me up at 1am and I never was able to get back to sleep.

I was just pondering on how 300-count bottles of Claritin are the way, the truth, and the light.