Options

Old Job thread

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »
    Hey @Zonugal my wife works at the library and can start digging through the books as they downsize inventory and I'm... pretty sure media mail is super cheap, so would you want me to have her start bringing stuff home to send to you?

Hey Radiation, that would be really cool but I don't know how much space I can really devote to the mini-library and as I'm only temporarily covering for a teacher I feel like I shouldn't commit to growing it past the 33 books its at right now.

But in the future, when I get my own permanent classroom? Yeah, oh yeah, absolutely.

Not to be that guy, but maybe cycle in 1 female science fiction author in the group?

I think you will find that Zonugal will be very happy to have you be that guy. I would be very much surprised if he does not invite you to be that guy every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Hey Zonugal my wife works at the library and can start digging through the books as they downsize inventory and I'm... pretty sure media mail is super cheap, so would you want me to have her start bringing stuff home to send to you?

Hey Radiation, that would be really cool but I don't know how much space I can really devote to the mini-library and as I'm only temporarily covering for a teacher I feel like I shouldn't commit to growing it past the 33 books its at right now.

But in the future, when I get my own permanent classroom? Yeah, oh yeah, absolutely.

Not to be that guy, but maybe cycle in 1 female science fiction author in the group?

I think you will find that Zonugal will be very happy to have you be that guy. I would be very much surprised if he does not invite you to be that guy every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Okay, Falling Free by Louis Buchold Mcmasters

Sex and slave rebellion in space

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    When I got shingles, I lucked out and just had a slightly tingly rash. The second time I got it, I was more annoyed than anything else, because I had a kid who wasn't old enough for the vaccine yet, so I had to be extra careful not to let him near the rash. He was fine, but it was tense for a little while there. I still feel like I lucked out, due to the horror stories I've heard

Yeah I got pretty lucky and was just like... it was like I had an itch in my actual nerve sort of? It was incredibly distracting and pretty painful, but not like "oh god I'm on fire" painful and definitely not full body. It was just extremely weird to constantly have this sense that a part of my interior body was having itchy/annoying sensations that I associate with exterior body parts.

The great part is that they were like hey it's different for everyone and also it can happen again and also it might do nerve damage, or it may have already done nerve damage, who knows!

Anyway it's never fun so try to manage your stress and have already gotten a vaccine for chickenpox if you can! Just get every vaccine you can for everything is a general good piece of advice.

Also for female SF/Fantasy authors for youngish readers library I gotta say Earthsea is really danged neat. Reading it all these years on it almost feels like it's a subversion of modern trends because it's just some good writing that plays with mythic hero quest stuff in general. I found it really engaging and the YA-ness of it is mostly in that it's got straightforward prose and it's fast to read.

Not that there aren't a billion newer authors that are also good it's just 70s paperbacks are literally a dime a dozen.

ALSO I've been motivating my job search by going and looking at new jobs every time I have to explain some basic shit to the person we hired 6 months ago who makes more money than me.

But! I also got asked to talk to a recruiter for a place because a friend who turned them down recommended me. It would be a literally 100% raise if it worked out so here's hoping! God my current company under-pays.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So why do we have two jobs threads. Are we not closing them after 100 pages anymore? I am very confused.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    So why do we have two jobs threads. Are we not closing them after 100 pages anymore? I am very confused.

Times are rough. We need 2 job threads to pay the bills.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Times are rough. We need 2 job threads to pay the bills.

Fair enough.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

This happens pretty much everytime someone makes a new jobs thread before the old one is locked. It is interesting to watch play out if you ask me. It shows the weird subforum social rules that form but are never codified in action.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have both bookmarked and am tracking both at this point.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I have both bookmarked and am tracking both at this point.

Just make one script that tracks both but bill both job threads for the labor.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Wouldn't be an issue if they were closed promptly, but somehow, that doesn't seem to be anyone's job...

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hey Zonugal my wife works at the library and can start digging through the books as they downsize inventory and I'm... pretty sure media mail is super cheap, so would you want me to have her start bringing stuff home to send to you?

Falling Free is one of her earlier books and it's not as well written as her later work. I'd recommend almost any other book in that universe instead!

• Options
    Wouldn't be an issue if they were closed promptly, but somehow, that doesn't seem to be anyone's job...

I mean, I could report this post, but it's much more fun to see how far past the redline we can take any given thread.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    100 is a convention, not a law of nature. Pedal to the metal, baby

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Worked one day this weekend for two days off this week. A fair trade.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We got something to 118 recently before it got Geth'd.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    We got something to 118 recently before it got Geth'd.

Bad food thread

• Options
    Now that anime is unbanned we don't talk about it after 100.

...Anyone wanna chat TVTropes?

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Awww yisss. Started a vacation and it just kinda sunk in today that I have the next week off. I don't have to worry about stupid work stuff this coming week and it feels great.
    I am however, taking a vacation in Maine and have this goddamn hurricane following me.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I will admit I have this bystander feeling just watching the two threads go. I like it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I was an early adopter of the new Job Thread but it seemed like the user base was limited and there was a lot of QoL issues so I came back here.

Gonna wait until the new one gets patched before going back.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Fuck. I might be a really good librarian.

Nah, if that were.true.then you would've been mentioned or appeared in a newsthing article or something by now.

• Options
    Fuck. I might be a really good librarian.

Nah, if that were.true.then you would've been mentioned or appeared in a newsthing article or something by now.

Good point.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Falling Free is one of her earlier books and it's not as well written as her later work. I'd recommend almost any other book in that universe instead!

But quaddies! :bigfrown:

• Options

They get a cameo in one of the later books!

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Why does this thread live???

Alright, time to harbinge.

There, the Lock Gods have been harbinged for this thread.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options

They get a cameo in one of the later books!

As I said in the book thread, I loved the cold as ice character getting completely sprung, aka lovesick drunk over the musician

Also, I want to see diplomatic immunity made into live action so we can see quaddie art.
    Hmm. Nosebleed. I've been poisoned and will die soon. Time to hide my corpse and start an investigation.

God save the emperor

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'm baffled as to why Netflix or someone haven't picked up the Vorkosigan books for a series. There's so much there to pick from. You could easily go 6 or 8 series.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    I'm baffled as to why Netflix or someone haven't picked up the Vorkosigan books for a series. There's so much there to pick from. You could easily go 6 or 8 series.

They're pretty cerebral and I'm not sure how well the gentle, wry humor would work. Lots of it is in the internal dialog and that generally doesn't work well for movies/TV series.

It's an effort I feel would be doomed to failure without a lot of very careful consideration.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I also read a thing awhile back about how Netflix has figured when series stop making money, and it's only 2-3 seasons. After that, they don't drive new subscribers anymore, so they're very unlikely to push series beyond that.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    HR emailed me a few minutes ago to request proof of vaccination status. I provided my proof as soon as I saw the email.

Compliance with policy and local law never felt so good.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Bizzare to me. GoT only really took off S4.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    My favorite Vorkosigan book was the one where Miles goes to a prison colony to rescue someone and then
    ends up rescuing the entire colony

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    My favorite Vorkosigan book was the one where Miles goes to a prison colony to rescue someone and then
    ends up rescuing the entire colony

My favorite is still when he falls in love in the most Miles way possible.

I never knew I was into romance novels but here we are.

• Options
    It's true, that's one's pretty good too.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I also really enjoy being in Cordelia's head in the two-part novel Shards of Honor/Barrayar. She's got such interesting viewpoints and insights. I sometimes feel like Cordelia is Bujold's inner monologue when she's had a chance to think things through.

But honestly, the entire series is just so, so good. Bujold is a damned treasure, especially the Brothers In Arms, Mirror Dance, Memory, A Civil Campaign sequence where I feel like she was as much at the top of her game as Miles is at the start of Mirror Dance.

I feel like she may have lost her edge with the later books but she is always a pleasure to read, and her worst is still better than most authors' best.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    The Vorkosigan Saga is at it's best when it isnt space opera, though those are pretty good too.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The Vorkosigan Saga is at it's best when it isnt space opera, though those are pretty good too.

She humanizes it, and I rarely see the outcome coming. Even when I do, the way we got there took so many twists and turns, I may as well have not predicted it at all.

And I love her characters. Larger than life, yet so real.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Same customer I worked the weekend for has placed a new urgent order. Cutting my two days break short. 😤

• Options
    Same customer I worked the weekend for has placed a new urgent order. Cutting my two days break short. 😤

Um. Excuse me this is the Lois McMaster Bujold fan thread.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Vorkosigan Saga series spoilers
    One of my favorite things is that in one of the early books, The Warriors Apprentice I think, Miles is saved by the new Cutting Edge Barrayar Battleship, still on it's shakedown cruise. Near the end of the series, I think the last book, they are touring the same ship as it's going through decomissioning. I loved how everyone grew up, and old, throughout the series. You really don't get that very much.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981