Options

Old Job thread

1100101102103104106»

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Vorkosigan Saga series spoilers
    One of my favorite things is that in one of the early books, The Warriors Apprentice I think, Miles is saved by the new Cutting Edge Barrayar Battleship, still on it's shakedown cruise. Near the end of the series, I think the last book, they are touring the same ship as it's going through decomissioning. I loved how everyone grew up, and old, throughout the series. You really don't get that very much.

I've read every book several times and somehow missed that little detail.

Holy shit I love Bujold.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Orca wrote: »
    One of my favorite things is that in one of the early books, The Warriors Apprentice I think, Miles is saved by the new Cutting Edge Barrayar Battleship, still on it's shakedown cruise. Near the end of the series, I think the last book, they are touring the same ship as it's going through decomissioning. I loved how everyone grew up, and old, throughout the series. You really don't get that very much.

Holy shit I love Bujold.

Yea watching Miles and Ivan grow up and become people with their own foibles and unique personalities was such an amazing treat (Along with a myriad of other side characters, to be fair). Like the Dresden Files have some of that, but not to the extent the Vorkosigan Saga provides.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I feel like warmed over death. If I didn't have just five hours left in the shift I'd go home now. As it is, I might end up calling out tonight.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Holy shit I love Bujold.

Yea watching Miles and Ivan grow up and become people with their own foibles and unique personalities was such an amazing treat (Along with a myriad of other side characters, to be fair). Like the Dresden Files have some of that, but not to the extent the Vorkosigan Saga provides.

On a side note, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance completed vindicated my theory that Ivan isn't an idiot; he's just lazy and privileged and never worked any harder than he had to for things he didn't really care that much about, eg: helping his attention-hogging coz Get The Girl and/or Get Out Of Trouble. As soon as there was something he really wanted at stake, he turned on the gas and was exactly as smart as he needed to be.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    I feel like warmed over death. If I didn't have just five hours left in the shift I'd go home now. As it is, I might end up calling out tonight.

I am happy it's my weekend after this brutal week {see the other job thread that I am working myself to a early grave}
    As with how tired I was when I left there was little chance I could pull off another shift as I sit with my tired sore muscles

• Options
    edited August 2021
    V1m wrote: »

Holy shit I love Bujold.

On a side note, Captain Vorpatril's Alliance completed vindicated my theory that Ivan isn't an idiot; he's just lazy and privileged and never worked any harder than he had to for things he didn't really care that much about, eg: helping his attention-hogging coz Get The Girl and/or Get Out Of Trouble. As soon as there was something he really wanted at stake, he turned on the gas and was exactly as smart as he needed to be.

Ivan is probably incredibly aware of the saying “you do good work you get thanked with more work based on his upbringing.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

spoiler paraphrased
    Now see here, Admiral. You bring home one human head, just one mind you, and you spend the rest of your life with everyone looking into your luggage.

I read Cordelia's Honor (shards and Barrayar in one book) first in my teens and got to experience the rest in adulthood. So much joy.

edit: Ivan analysis
    He's also a pretty contender for the throne, so if he acts in any way competent, then he's going to be dealing with people trying to overthrow Gregor.

Also, Gregor is characterized so well, I get happy when you see these monarchs crushed with their history and responsibilities

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Listen, it's been less than a year since I last comfort-binged the Vorkosigan saga, and I'm currently comfort-binging the Discworld series. You can't do this to me, I need to read new books to be good at my job.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Listen, it's been less than a year since I last comfort-binged
    the Vorkosigan saga, and I'm currently comfort-binging the Discworld series. You can't do this to me, I need to read new books to be good at my job.

I'm reading through the industrial revolution discworld books and then I think I might have to go back to Vorkosigan. I might do a stop at a "desolation called peace" but it won't be long.

Speaking of discworld though, Moving pictures feels like an older book. I haven't checked the publication date yet.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Much older. Mort-era, and it shows.

Meanwhile, I'm surprised at how late The Last Continent was. I think I mix all the Rincewind books together, but this was most of the way through the City Watch books.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    the Vorkosigan saga, and I'm currently comfort-binging the Discworld series. You can't do this to me, I need to read new books to be good at my job.

I'm reading through the industrial revolution discworld books and then I think I might have to go back to Vorkosigan. I might do a stop at a "desolation called peace" but it won't be long.

Speaking of discworld though, Moving pictures feels like an older book. I haven't checked the publication date yet.

It's the 10th book. Definitely felt like there were a lot of references I missed.
    Might need to check this vorkosigan series out after I finish Peacebunny island.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Radiation wrote: »

It's the 10th book. Definitely felt like there were a lot of references I missed.
    Might need to check this vorkosigan series out after I finish Peacebunny island.

If you do Vorkosigan, go with the Author's recommended reading order, and not publish order.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited August 2021

If you do Vorkosigan, go with the Author's recommended reading order, and not publish order.

Published order you can watch as she blossoms as a writer. You'll skip around in the timeline, but she leaves herself enough breadcrumbs you can understand what's going on. This is the order I read it in.

Internal chronological order makes more sense, but now the overall quality skips all over the place depending on when she wrote it. There's also a few places where she tweaks minor details that you won't notice if you read it in published order.

They're both valid IMO.

Orca on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I've read them all randomly over the years and I'm not even sure I've read them all. It's time I start over and find out!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    This thread about Vorkswagon is super interesting to me, a bystander who has never heard of it outside of the cars they make.

• Options
    If you haven't figured it out after 106 pages, I'm not sure what to tell you.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Worked one day this weekend for two days off this week. A fair trade.
    Same customer I worked the weekend for has placed a new urgent order. Cutting my two days break short. 😤
    Two days off after today! 4 day weekend! This is like living in the Simpsons cursed frogurt meme.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    10th book
    vorkosigan series
    Peacebunny island.

I honestly can't tell if you people are making this up as you go or if this is a real thing

Either way, carry on

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Worked one day this weekend for two days off this week. A fair trade.
    Same customer I worked the weekend for has placed a new urgent order. Cutting my two days break short. 😤
    Two days off after today! 4 day weekend! This is like living in the Simpsons cursed frogurt meme.

Frogurt? I thought it was this Simpsons meme

https://youtu.be/_lAEO07SISU

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I've read some of her other work, I really should make some time for the Vorkosigan books though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Vorkosigan thread, how do you pronounce Haut?

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I've read some of her other work, I really should make some time for the Vorkosigan books though.

I enjoy her other books, but for whatever reason it's the Vorkosigan ones that keep me coming back year after year.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Thought this was the Odd Job thread. Imagine my disappointment

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Thought this was the Odd Job thread. Imagine my disappointment

That's okay Tef, we're disappointed in you too!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Oat

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

Oat

I've always pronounced it "hot", like "haughty", but apparently it's also a French word pronounced like "huh".

Huh.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Oat

I've always pronounced it "hot", like "haughty", but apparently it's also a French word pronounced like "huh".

Huh.

You are incorrect. It is pronounced like "oh", but with the emphasis on the "o" sound. And the "h" is silent.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »

Oat

Huh.

You are incorrect. It is pronounced like "oh", but with the emphasis on the "o" sound. And the "h" is silent.

I'm just amazed it wasn't a kwa sound

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Hawt

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Elaro wrote: »

Oat

Huh.

I'm just amazed it wasn't a kwa sound

Look, French was made to placate fifteen different frankish nations into staying together under Charlemagne. It's gonna have some kinks.

Some quinques (not actually a French word)

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    10th book
    vorkosigan series
    Peacebunny island.

I honestly can't tell if you people are making this up as you go or if this is a real thing

Either way, carry on

Diskworld has 41 books and is an amazing set of stories. They are all wonderful and quite funny. I recommend you start out with Small Gods because it is a single story in that world.

Not sure about this other series.

Peacebunny island is about some dude who rescues rabbits from what I understand so far. My wife checked it out for me, since she saw it while working at the library a bit ago. We had 2 rabbits as pets.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    The Vorkosigan Saga is like a 16 book saga that spans classic space opera, to romance, intrigue and adventure, depending on the book. It also has around 10 short stories also set in universe. One defining trait is the main characters grow up through the series and we the reader get to watch them define themselves as people and what they stand for, and the fallout from those decisions.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Whenever I read the word Vorkosigan I just picture those aliens from Half Life 2, I know that's not what they're called but it's something sort of like that? So I always assume those books are about aliens like that.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The HL2 aliens are the Vortigaunt.

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

No, Vortigaunts are the surname of the hockey mask dude who lives in a lake and kills promiscuous teens with a machete.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

No, Vortigaunts are the surname of the hockey mask dude who lives in a lake and kills promiscuous teens with a machete.

You're thinking Voorhees.

They're talking about the aliens in the Commander Keen games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021

Oat

Aldo is the only correct one, it's Oat! I learned it from Tim Gunn!

Cambiata on
    Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start