Options

Old Job thread

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I've got no problem helping you do part of your job. Lord knows I'm not doing something right now anyway.

Be a dick about it and you're on your own though.

Stand there doing fuckall while I do it all and you're gonna be hung out to dry from now on.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I was told to add a little extra to my timesheet by the boss if I find myself taking a lot of phone calls at home. I thankfully keep that shit down to less than a minute each time, but its nice to have that option.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Me: “Hmm, that’s odd, I’m not getting any mail today, not even my time sheet approval.”
    Also me: “that’s cause it’s Memorial Day you Muppet! No one’s working except unfortunate souls like you which is part of why you’re looking for new work!”

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    I maybe did a thing to protect the planet but to also enact revenge. I'm not sure how that balances out in the grand scheme of things but I think I'm making the right decision. At least I hope I am.

Did you destroy someone's car with a hand powered steamroller?

Ummm, more like Captain Planet if he was fueled by the rage of a dying sun.

I am really curious about what you did, but at this point I'm starting to think there's a good reason you haven't said.

Whatever it was, I hope it was glorious :biggrin:
    I am blowing whistles toot toot

We're gonna hear about this on the news aren't we?

no se

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am working today because not enough other people volunteered to work today.

I did get a $25 Uber eats voucher, $10 gift card and a floating comp day to get a day off at a later point though.

Overall, not a bad trade.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Me: “Hmm, that’s odd, I’m not getting any mail today, not even my time sheet approval.”
    Also me: “that’s cause it’s Memorial Day you Muppet! No one’s working except unfortunate souls like you which is part of why you’re looking for new work!”

I like working on holidays because I don't celebrate them and I get paid double time and a half for em.
    Plus the other departments are all fielding skeleton crews so there ain't shit going on and I also get good parking.

I mean, if I'm scheduled off and it happens to be on a holiday I'm not gonna volunteer to work it because time off is way more important to me.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Matev wrote: »

I like working on holidays because I don't celebrate them and I get paid double time and a half for em.
    Plus the other departments are all fielding skeleton crews so there ain't shit going on and I also get good parking.

I mean, if I'm scheduled off and it happens to be on a holiday I'm not gonna volunteer to work it because time off is way more important to me.

Extra pay for holidays? I wish. And ironically, this is the one day this week I'll have to pay for parking since no one was there to validate my ticket.

We were running a big event today so my org's big wigs were in the office, including the director for the first time in over a year as he wanted to get start getting re-acclimated to coming in.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    There is nothing better in life than having the time to eat at a greasy spoon before work.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    I maybe did a thing to protect the planet but to also enact revenge. I'm not sure how that balances out in the grand scheme of things but I think I'm making the right decision. At least I hope I am.

Did you destroy someone's car with a hand powered steamroller?

Ummm, more like Captain Planet if he was fueled by the rage of a dying sun.

I am really curious about what you did, but at this point I'm starting to think there's a good reason you haven't said.

Whatever it was, I hope it was glorious :biggrin:
    I am blowing whistles toot toot

We're gonna hear about this on the news aren't we?

no se
    BSEE wrote:
    Thank you for your inquiry, Mr. Grip. I will forward to the appropriate team for evaluation and consideration.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    In my process of trying to clean up documentation and update things, I'm finding design docs I put together 6 years ago to improve issues and introduce automation. Processes that were never undertaken.

This kind of sort of makes me feel sick to my stomach.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I just had my first temporary crown put in. The human experience was a mistake.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Just had my hours cut, again.
    It was nice to have the whole holiday weekend off, and I'm glad that we're getting COVID under control in this county (again)... but I'd like to keep my job a little longer, thanks. :(

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Oh my God. Coworker. Please, stop saying Eskimo. You can't just....agh, this is one of many reasons I don't mention I'm from Alaska.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Haha I lied I don't have 112 hours of banked PTO, it's 128.

Anyway I'm going to take next week and the following Monday off because fuck it.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Because of overtime rolling over. I still have about 175 hours or so. Disappointing part is that it's paid out at the rate I made when it accumulated so the the hourly rate is currently still based upon my wage from like 3 or 4 years ago.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    How do you acquire these hours? Is it in addition to your annual holiday allowance? Or is it just your pro rata status?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Additional hours to the 25 vacation days. Also dirty commie foreign country so sick time is separate and unlimited. I made a bunch of overtime in my first few years when I was still overmotivated and eager/dumb.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Haha I lied I don't have 112 hours of banked PTO, it's 128.

Anyway I'm going to take next week and the following Monday off because fuck it.

Yeah, I've got 120-ish myself.

But I prefer to keep that baseline if I can help it, because my paranoid brain is in a mindset of "well what if I want to take a vacation sometime AND I get sick for a week or more" and oof.

I've been needing to use chunks of it lately to make doctor's appointments, so I haven't been able to build much past that point. And therefore haven't been able to convince myself to actually take some personal time.

Dys on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Slow day today so I'm reading through some NTSB accident reports and listening to a podcast about engineering disasters. Probably not the best combo here.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I overslept this morning and kept having dreams that I picked up some part time work at my old job at Best Buy.

It wasn't actually a bad dream. I kinda enjoyed that job and most of the people I worked with. Shit was a lot simpler back then.

• Options
    I got to help a customer with a live DDoS today.

This job is super cool.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Y'all, if you gotta leave a voice message, make sure you are speaking loud.and.clear. An elderly lady called me today after receiving a voicemail from someone from a different department. She said (yelled) that that person had a very quiet voice and she couldn't make out the last two digits or their name, so she just took a guess and ended up with me (all our phone numbers start with the same 6 digits). She explained that she recently moved and they were probably calling about that.

I was pretty confident I could figure out who called her, so I promised her I would pass the message along and ask them to try calling again. I first tried calling a colleague I have a good rapport with, but he wasn't in. Then I tried calling someone from his department who mails me sometimes, but she didn't pick up either. Then I tried their department head, but again no luck. At this point I gave it a rest, tried again 15-30 mins later after checking everyone's Outlook agenda. One guy had an appointment for the rest of the afternoon, everyone else appeared to just be working. They both didn't answer again. I went sleuthing through our intranet for someone else and spotted someone whose job description included training new hires for the call center. She did pick up, looked into the case and said that the person who called was on her floor and she'd pass the message along. Huzzah!

Then I quickly sent an e-mail to everyone I had called to tell them that they could ignore those missed calls and I was helped by [person who helped me].

Aldo on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Everything exploded today. 2 of the other 3 members of my team are off all week. The other went home at 2:30, the last few hours have extremely busy, but I think I got everything under control.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    A meeting/con call from next week got moved up to today and I got maybe ten minutes notice to prepare and I was the second presenter, but I pulled through, got told I did fantastic and big thanks from the boss for handling it.

• Options
    Command's doing focus groups. That's good! This will give people the chance to vent directly to leadership about admin.

Admin leadership will be in charge of the junior personnel focus groups. That's bad! That's very clearly bad!

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Command's doing focus groups. That's good! This will give people the chance to vent directly to leadership about admin.

Admin leadership will be in charge of the junior personnel focus groups. That's bad! That's very clearly bad!

"How to not get any meaningful feedback 101: Put the fear of God and Chain of command into your underlings for maximum effect!"

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I did it. I set my out of office auto reply and am now off and home until late July.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    While I don't regret going the contractor route, man is it a pain in the ass sometimes. We're switching vendors and a new requirement is that we need auto insurance for 1 million. I don't drive to work since I'm 4 states away, which means I also don't have a commercial vehicle. Talking with Allstate, they don't cover 1 million for personal and talking to my commercial insurance provider, they mentioned they can't do auto if I don't have a car or drive. They called it a ghost policy, since it they don't really have anything to cover. Talking with my employer, they won't waive it, something about how contractors have sued them for accidents (which I'd really like to see). Took an entire month to finally get someone to give me a policy that doesn't really do anything for me that the vendor will accept.

Next up I have to have someone come inspect my apartment since I work from home instead of just a normal background check...

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    so today my boss and I had the most recent meeting building on conversations we've had over the last several months and this was kind of the culmination of it, basically he said that while he wasn't kicking me out immediately, and would help me in any way he could to try to find a new position, and didn't want to fire me because I wouldn't be able to reapply to the museum for a year if I were .. but that basically I wasn't working out and should start looking for a new job. The dream job I've spent the last five years - nine if you count working in museums at all - working toward. so that's fun.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    so today my boss and I had the most recent meeting building on conversations we've had over the last several months and this was kind of the culmination of it, basically he said that while he wasn't kicking me out immediately, and would help me in any way he could to try to find a new position, and didn't want to fire me because I wouldn't be able to reapply to the museum for a year if I were .. but that basically I wasn't working out and should start looking for a new job. The dream job I've spent the last five years - nine if you count working in museums at all - working toward. so that's fun.

Did they offer up or did you ask what they mean by "not working out"? I hate opaque job speak, just tell it to me plain and simple. I'd rather know and see if I can improve then try and figure out what you mean by "the right fit" or whatever other nonsense.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »

Oh jeeze, that sucks, sorry :bigfrown:

• Options
    Woo, I am now a certified AWS solutions architect associate.

And now, nap time.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Woo, I am now a certified AWS solutions architect associate.

And now, nap time.

Congrats you magnificent bastard!

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Apparently at the moment I have 197 hours of annual leave. And 40 hours of long service leave.

I tend to drop it down to around 80 hours every January, but it's usually back to 250 or so by the end of the year. Then I take all of January off, and the cycle repeats.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2021
    grr rrrr

Thanks to COVID, my company is shifting around the way it operates, and will be putting employees who don't have to be in any particular place all the time on a 'flex' hybrid-remote status, where they're welcome to come into the office up to 2 days a week, but will be mostly working from home and therefore will not have an assigned work station. I am not (or should not be) affected by this, because a) as a hardware person, I have to be in the lab most of the time, b) I was told that our lab specifically was exempt from this arrangement, because pretty much all of us have to be on-site, and c) when they sent around an email asking if you wanted to be on-site or hybrid-remote I told them I would be on-site, thank you very much.

NEVERTHELESS while looking through our org chart today to find a contact point for something, I noticed I was listed under the flex/hybrid-remote employees.
    This is probably a minor HR fuckup, or possibly even an IT fuckup, but I'm still hyperventilating because don't you give away my goddamn desk, you fucks, it's got important equipment on it. (We got told that unassigned desks would have everything thrown unceremoniously in the bin if you didn't pick it up by June).

Sent a slightly stilted email to HR to ask what the goddamn hell, duders

tynic on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Flu jab thread, I have been flu jabbed.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Flu jab thread, I have been flu jabbed.

Oh shit! I should go get mine. My licking doorknobs day was Monday, so I'm pretty certain I'd be fine?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Right now, I am just so fucking done with people and their attitudes. Yes, you took no breaks, and now you have an crisis coming when you're taking all your breaks at the end of work. If only there was a police dictating that you could not do that.

Oh wait, there was.

You only got away with it because you never got fucking burned in all this time. Yes, I would like to stay at the office and sit on my ass for 60 minutes, but shit happens. But really, you could have done your fucking job, and then stayed late sitting on your ass and we would not have reamed you for it. Because that's the nature of this business chaos, but you chose to be a dick and I took someone's offer to help and they stayed late to take care of it.

Why didn't I do it? Because I had been on for 14 hours and was the walking dead.

*looks at data showing a no call no show from someone even worse who was supposed the stopgap employee between day and the first graveyard shift*

FuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuUUUuuuuuuuck!

RoyceSraphim on