As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Liminal [chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

don't tell me you don't see it etc etc

Awwwww yeeeeeh

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So Elden Ring is literally just Dark Souls.

I'm okay with that

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    E3ihpyAWEAIwtiM?format=png&name=900x900

damn we on pace to 2x our vehicle related casualties here, sick

poo
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular

I'm okay with that

Was there ever any doubt?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I'm okay with that

With a horse!

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

I'm okay with that
    with horses!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I think the idea that the Reapers — "the Reapers"— are not helping in good faith is entirely commensurate with the suggested storyline

"What do you call this NGO?"

"The Reapers. Wait, no. No. Don't write that down."

hey grain needs to be cut, man

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i'm trying to watch the new Saw and man this is bad

but not bad like the other Saws that i love

bad bad

well this fucking sucked

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    If the idea is to save them from themselves, why do you view them with such contempt? So like, me and the wife were watching this documentary-type series on New Zealand recently. In one part they are following along with some researchers/conservationists trying to save a species of kiwi. There's like less then 200 of the things left and in the wild their eggs have a very low success rate. So the conservation plan is they literally tag the things, track them down, steal their eggs, hatch them back in a nursery and then release them back into the wild. And you can imagine this as a kind of sci-fi horror premise. In a post-climate-change-catastrophe earth, aliens constantly invade and steal children. It's horrible. But in the end you find out it's all a conservation plan. They are taking the kids to another planet to be saved from our planet that we killed. Or something like that. It's both monstrous and yet "for our own good". But the people doing this kind of work don't hate the animals they are working with. They don't hold them in contempt.

Trying to save people and viewing them with contempt are compatible, and it's something that do-gooders struggle with and sometimes fall into particularly when they're selflessly serving very different cultural communities.

The frustration, anger, and disappointment of medical staff dealing with patients that unreliably follow instruction and are lost to follow up; the incomprehension of Western NGOs navigating the norms and sometimes-corrupt power structures of non-Western communities, etc. etc.; all of it can shade in its less careful moments into contempt. LET ME HELP YOU, YOU FUCKS.

It's entirely human (and, of course, quite fraught in its effects).

I don't know, I mean, yes and no?

It's human and common to have contempt for people you are ostensibly working to help, but like, most people who actually feel that contempt are no longer making a good faith effort to provide help.

At least in my experience, in legal non-profit work there is usually a fairly clear divide between the people who are earnestly trying to help clients and the embittered narcissists who are just there to feed their own egos (but hate the clients, and often cause lots of harm).

See also the rampant racist, sexism, and fatphobia that is apparent in healthcare providers.

That's interesting to hear about; my experience was more that people who are on balance making a good faith effort and providing health can still sometimes problematically lapse into contempt. Like, sometimes it might be associated with specific triggers or blind spots, e.g. a fatphobic doc has a thing with weight and tends to say extremely racially and culturally insensitive things about how the community that they serve eats. But then also does a lot of great non-judgmental sexual and reproductive health counseling pro bono at the community clinic. So they're kind of acting out a mixed bag of stuff.

I definitely got the sense that some of the researchers at NIH working on e.g. malaria in Africa were #problematic at times while still deeply believing in a super pro-social mission and working toward it at personal cost. But I also wasn't in in that community, so this is really just impressions based on casual contact.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm not expert on Mass Effect lore but isn't one of the defining things about the reapers is their ability to convince you their genocidal insanity is totally cool?

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 1.2

@Abdhyius will create the new thread
    @Abdhyius is backup

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2021
    shryke wrote: »
    On the whole, big serious decisions like that at the end of the story just dont interest me. Blue, red, whatever, it doesnt matter, story is over. All Im going to see of that decision is a 2 minute cut scene, it carries no weight.

Agreed. IMO the ending of the game's story should be the point of least choice. You've made all your choices already to get here to the end. The ending should be the expression of those choices. "This is what you've done to get to this point and now we will show you the consequences of those choices"

Studios seem terrified of this. They are very concerned about backlash because of irrevocable choices during gameplay — they seem to imagine that players want to be able to reload and make different choices.

It seems self evident that reloading to make different choices is morally disgusting; ignore my rerun to prevent Mordin from dying tho

NGL, getting the "No Man Left Behind" achievement the first time I played the final mission, no reloading, 3 days after ME2 came out without asking anyone on the internet how to do it or looking up any guides, is a kind of irreproducible feeling that I will take with me to my grave. Who needs a rich life full of accomplishment when I have this!

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.