Options

[Mass Effect] All this for a Toaster? Tag Spoilers!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    Cheers guys, been a while since I did early ME2 (and Zaeed's loyalty mission). And I'd forgotten you could sell Legion to Cerberus, what kind of monster would... oh, right, yup, gotcha :lol:

Anyone else ever do an intentional fail run of ME2?

Edit: I had a suitable early save in ME2:LE, and yeah, you're right, you can run right past Zaeed and leave him there with his unfortunate batarian prisoner. But the conversation does start automatically if you get close to him, you don't have to actually click on him. Just give him a wide berth and you're fine. TIL, etc etc!

Jazz on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Cheers guys, been a while since I did early ME2 (and Zaeed's loyalty mission). And I'd forgotten you could sell Legion to Cerberus, what kind of monster would... oh, right, yup, gotcha :lol:

Anyone else ever do an intentional fail run of ME2?

Edit: I had a suitable early save in ME2:LE, and yeah, you're right, you can run right past Zaeed and leave him there with his unfortunate batarian prisoner. But the conversation does start automatically if you get close to him, you don't have to actually click on him. Just give him a wide berth and you're fine. TIL, etc etc!

I've done a failshep run of the whole series before. Everyone but Joker was dead by the end.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I think there was a Let's Play about that called The Saddest Party On The Citadel and it was about having as few people at the party as possible and then maybe doing the refusal ending?

My favorite joke was that the player is a firm "femshep is canon" type and played it as Mshep because "there's no way she's that incompetent."

• Options
    edited April 18
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    Ah yes, the Zaheed Shepard Playthrough.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Femshep is canon because Mark Meer kinda sucked in ME1 (though he got much better)

Also Femshep is canon because fuck yes a no bullshit redhead is absolutely who would punch a fox news reporter, taze a mechanic trying to get a gunship back up in running so it can kill a guy trying to make Omega less shit, and punch a dumbfuck Quarian Admiral for being a dumbfuck.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited April 20
    That reminds me I never did finish my failshep run from about 10 years ago. I remember posting a picture of the In Memoriam display, and it almost running out of space for dead crew names.

I still miss playing ME3 multi sometimes, had a blast playing with some of you fine folk way back when.

I never actually got to playing Citadel.

I got the ME LE on PS4 a while back but never got around to actually playing it through.

Commander Shepard never had to deal with taking care of a small child as it turns out, she would have been a massive liability on a battlefield.

Kids are adorable but are very fragile!

Edit: Are the old PC multi servers actually still active? I'd love to get some old school action going some time.

Curly and Jazz and Dhal and Cambiata and bust out my Batarian soldier hatesurfing #notallbatarians

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Quads

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »
    That reminds me I never did finish my failshep run from about 10 years ago. I remember posting a picture of the In Memoriam display, and it almost running out of space for dead crew names.

I still miss playing ME3 multi sometimes, had a blast playing with some of you fine folk way back when.

I got the ME LE on PS4 a while back but never got around to actually playing it through.

Commander Shepard never had to deal with taking care of a small child as it turns out, she would have been a massive liability on a battlefield.

Edit: Are the old PC multi servers actually still active? I'd love to get some old school action going some time.

Curly and Jazz and Dhal and Cambiata and bust out my Batarian soldier hatesurfing #notallbatarians

I've tried to do the multiplayer a few times in more recentish years and it's just been Russians with open mics and TVs blaring int he background so... not an optimal experience.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Yeah if you have an original copy of ME3 you can still play multiplayer. I checked last year and it still had my unlocks from when I last played it 11 years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I've tried to do the multiplayer a few times in more recentish years and it's just been Russians with open mics and TVs blaring int he background so... not an optimal experience.

There was a little bit of this alright, the last time i played about 10 years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Quads

Clawhammer

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular

I always found it really funny that Russians specifically were super into ME3 multiplayer. Not sure why that was the case

• Options
    I played a bit of ME3 multi on Xbox with a couple of IRL friends a couple of months back, that's still up too. Can't seem to change my banner though any more, and the one I had selected just throws an error rather than coming up, so in the lobby my profile background looks rather strange. It works though.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited April 21

simple solution: We all figure out how to pipe "HEY YOU SHOULD KILL VLADIMIR PUTIN ACTUALLY; PS UKRAINE IS NOT PART OF RUSSIA" in Russian at maximum volume repeatedly over our audio channels, while playing with the sound muted, and then play like. A lot.

They will all get their internet access revoked probably and then the problem will be solved. (Or we'll all get horrible ransomware or worms that continually generate misinformation Twitter accounts or something)

(I genuinely miss the days when Russians in multiplayer were just like, guys that you hung out with that you communicated with by jumping and crouching, and not "welp our governments are back to being at each other's throats I guess." Those were the days, for real.) (more specifically, I noticed a lot of Russian gamers becoming much much MUCH more aggressive toward Americans and actively avoiding us or, worse, harassing us since 2016; it's entirely possible that the same is true on the American side, and entirely possible that it's a psyop on the part of both our governments? Who knows. Whatever. I miss when we were chill, Russian gamers.) (FTR I don't actively avoid Russians nor do I harass them, they remain Just Peoples to me unless they start being arses first, but that's true of literally everyone I game with regardless of... anything. You are all Just Peoples until proven otherwise)

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited April 21
    Oh to be clear this predated the 2022 full scale invasion and there was nothing I could discern about their opinion of the occupation of Eastern Ukraine/Crimea at the time.

It was just the typical open mic blaring TV in the background behavior that happened to be in Russian.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Quads

Clawhammer

Azure

Jazz on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Fornax

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    SSV Daddy Issues

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Embrace eternity!

• Options
    Embrace eternititty!

sorry

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I swear I have been chasing the ME3 multi experience for like eight years now; I dunno how there can be so many shooters and nobody can get it quite correct (helldivers isn't bad though)

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Embrace eternititty!

sorry

I don't believe you

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I swear I have been chasing the ME3 multi experience for like eight years now; I dunno how there can be so many shooters and nobody can get it quite correct (helldivers isn't bad though)

Eh, I do think Helldivers 2 is better in a number of ways. You come by gear and new "powers" honestly, instead of through lootbox degeneracy. Objectives are more varied and more interesting, and the planets are also more varied and interesting. ME3 had more player builds and enemy diversity, but it's basically a lock that Helldivers will get a third enemy faction, and new weapons and strategems are unlocking over time. Helldivers is what happens when you take some of the things that Mass Effect 3 multi mostly got right and build up a whole game around them.

• Options
    Helldivers 2 does progression much much better because fuck loot boxes.

But I don't agree that there's more diversity map-wise. Helldivers 2 has procedural generation going for it but once you've done a few missions on a planet you've pretty much seen what it has to offer. Additionally the set maps added a factor of learning the missions to it which was enjoyable.

From a gameplay perspective nothing has really managed what ME3MP managed.

I think Helldivers 2 will eventually offer more with everything they have planned which will change how the game plays and moves it away from ME3MP but man, ME3MP had a magic to it that I just don't know anyone will capture.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Helldivers 2 may as well not exist since I lack a PS.

And now we're back on to Exclusives...

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Helldivers 2 may as well not exist since I lack a PS.

And now we're back on to Exclusives...

Also on PC.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Finally knuckled under and figured out how to use mods--which unlike DAI is not nearly as cumbersome as it appears at first. The mod launcher requires you to backup the games but includes a built-in backup tool. Amazing!

The "everyone wears their iconic uniform in the field regardless of what armor they have on" mod was my first, to keep it simple; it works flawlessly. One thing that really shows how smart Bioware was at the time was realizing they had an iconic (proper iconic not Ubisoft iconic) look with the N7 gear in future games.

Then I tried the one-probe vacuum, which allows you to get all of the resources from a planet in ME2 by firing one probe anywhere (it also advances missions that utilize anomalies). Cleared out the Omega system in about two minutes; when I get back to that playthrough, in which I only just got Garrus and Mordin, I might just hop to all the systems with mass relays and clear them out before I even start playing properly.

Then I went back and did Pinnacle Station, which was a fun ninety minutes or so. (I almost didn't do it until I figured out that you got XP from placing 1st in a sim like you do for completing a mission.) However, it's definitely not tuned for normal difficulty with high-level characters having the best guns and mods in the game. (Or maybe it was, since my scrub ass did fine.) The only real trouble I had was the final thirty seconds or so of the final mission; I ended that one with with both my squadmates down and a fistful of shotgun-wielding Turians in my face, and that's not a euphemism like we were doing earlier in the thread.

Now I just need to find an ME3 mod I like and see how that works.

Oh, and while attending to my ME1 New Game+ in an attempt to make 60 I remembered a trick I figured out in my initial playthrough to make thresher maws a joke. I don't know if the community already knows this, but: when you come to a thresher maw area, just drive forward till they spawn, then drive straight backward while firing. Thresher maws are confined to their "arena"; if you leave that area, they'll submerge and go back to their spawn point...but all the damage you've done will still be there when you make them spawn again. They don't spit acid nearly fast enough to take out the Mako when you do this.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Helldivers 2 does progression much much better because fuck loot boxes.

But I don't agree that there's more diversity map-wise. Helldivers 2 has procedural generation going for it but once you've done a few missions on a planet you've pretty much seen what it has to offer. Additionally the set maps added a factor of learning the missions to it which was enjoyable.

From a gameplay perspective nothing has really managed what ME3MP managed.

I think Helldivers 2 will eventually offer more with everything they have planned which will change how the game plays and moves it away from ME3MP but man, ME3MP had a magic to it that I just don't know anyone will capture.

I loved ME3MP as much as anyone, but it's always been difficult to reconcile not just that with it being one of the first big examples of lootboxes, but that the entire game/progression design is in fact reliant on the lootbox model, which always feels icky. Its one saving grace in that respect was that you could at least earn currency to buy the lootboxes through just gameplay, but naturally (because EA, no doubt) the accumulation rate felt artificially slow.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I dunno, I found myself buying a new Arsenal lootbox with earned currency every three and a bit Silver games, which roughly equated to a Rare drop every hour
    That's most definitely not slow by modern standards

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I collected everything and maxed out everything except ultra rare weapons with paying any real money.

I was willing to give them money, but not for what they had on offer. If each DLC came with a "starter pack" with level 1 unlocks of everything new, I'd happily pay for that. But not random, overpriced loot boxes themselves.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    In me3 multiplayer I had unlocked everything available and I never spent a cent on their loot boxes. I don't recall the rate you gained loot boxes feeling bad or too slow. I got them often enough and got new stuff often enough I never felt like I was missing out.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    My issue with the multiplayer progression was the prestige system. Because you got experience every mission, it felt like you were missing out on something if you played a character with maxed out experience. So I always prestige (promoted?) characters at level 20 even though there's no meaningful reward (except the admittedly cute effect of having that team show up as war assets in the singleplayer). Then you've got a level one character who sucks until you play a few missions. It doesn't take that long to level up, but that just means you run through the cycle quicker. And it only really feels good when you're in the 15-20 range, having most of the fun skills but still getting to level up.

Of course the obvious solution is to just stay at level 20, but monkey brain wants number go up.

It also has that weird effect from gacha games where because you get a reward for pulling the same thing twice (which is better than getting nothing, of course, in this case characters got a cosmetic upgrade and weapons get an actual stat boost), the common weapons are often kind of better than the rare ones because you've got a level II Cool Lightning Gun and a level X Basic Pistol.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I actually kind of liked the prestige system as it tended to push experienced players back into silver for at least a little bit, helping noobs get their feet wet instead of everyone just gravitating to gold/platinum and staying there.

I did drop some cash on loot boxes but only because I felt that me3 as a full priced game was already great value and with the literal 1200 hours I spent on the multi they deserved some additional cash that I was happy to shell out.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I begrudgingly prestiged to whatever level was needed for one of the challenges but otherwise didn't bother. It was a meaningless number.

It would've been cool if every prestige level awarded a skill point.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 24
    I personally never particularly cared about the loot boxes because they were just something you got for playing the game I was playing anyway; plus, giving them 20 bucks or whatever seemed like a terrible deal for what you got, so

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The thing that made the ME3 loot boxes tolerable was that if you were full on an item it wouldn’t give you that item. It’s a small thing, but not having to worry about getting 100 of a Sniper Rifle I already had in my quest for the Widow puts ME3 miles ahead of other loot box games.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    At the time, I loved the system, and even tossed some money to it as I felt it earned it.

In hindsight, it heralded some shitty practices since then, but ME3 mostly felt innocuous and acceptable (and ME:A quickly pivoted to less good stuff). A similar game now would likely lean heavily towards bullshit, and I wonder if it was inevitable, or if ME3 had outsized inspiration there.

At least in ME3 you couldn't booster pack the same garbage Pokemon.

• Options
    The thing that made the ME3 loot boxes tolerable was that if you were full on an item it wouldn’t give you that item. It’s a small thing, but not having to worry about getting 100 of a Sniper Rifle I already had in my quest for the Widow puts ME3 miles ahead of other loot box games.

YES. This part of Overwatch was the part that absolutely blackpilled me on loot boxes - spending cash dollar money on an event and having a huge portion of it be duplicates of stuff I'd already unlocked prior absolutely soured me on it, whereas because of the way the ME3 boxes worked, it never felt like I was getting a consolation prize. It always felt like I was progressing my collection/ownership.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I soured on ME3 loot boxes because the servers would occasionally hiccup and fuck you out of your loot. After the second time I decided spending money on them was unacceptable bullshit.

"I see everything twice!"