Options

[Mass Effect] All this for a Toaster? Tag Spoilers!

1525354555658»

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 25
    I mean, ME3 lootboxes were some of the earliest, before the innovations to make them incredibly shitty.

See the differences between Me3 and Andromeda lootboxes

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 25
    ME games were, at least twice, the harbinger (sorry... not sorry) of things to come. ME2 with "Project Ten Dollar" and online passes, despite being a single player game; and ME3MP with lootboxes. Both were definitely done far more egregiously by other later games, of course.

Jazz on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I never felt I had any progress in ME3MP. There was so much stuff to unlock, that unlocking something felt like 0 progress.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CreganTurCreganTur Registered User regular
    The random nature of ME3MP's lootbox based progress resulted in some obnoxious issues. I played on Xbox for years with a dedicated group. We would regularly play Gold and Plat, which meant I could buy many multiples of the best box each week and had a lot of max ranked characters and equipment. However, I never got a Geth Juggernaut.

Then I switched to playing on PC so I could play with a different group of friends. Within the first week I had a rank 3 Geth Juggy.

However, the best part of playing on PC was the ability to change the credit rewards because that was defined on the client side based on the host's settings. We were playing long after the game had been put on maintenance mode.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The online pass in ME2 was purely an anti-used games measure; get it for free if you buy it new, or give Bioware/EA something if you got it second-hand.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    The online pass in ME2 was purely an anti-used games measure; get it for free if you buy it new, or give Bioware/EA something if you got it second-hand.

It then become commonplace, in particular in EA's titles (and allowing access to online multiplayer; ME2 was an outlier with its online pass purely gating single-player content), but eventually got enough of a backlash that it got phased out. But then again, the general transition to games primarily being bought digitally made the concept pretty much obsolete anyway.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I don't recall a backlash except from the people they wanted a backlash from; the used games buyers (who they didn't care about because they weren't seeing a shred of profit from them. the backlash from them was the whole point). It stayed common for the whole console generation, it was the switch to digital with the next generation that got rid of it (and learning that preorder bonuses did the same thing more effectively).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited April 26
    klemming wrote: »
    I don't recall a backlash except from the people they wanted a backlash from; the used games buyers (who they didn't care about because they weren't seeing a shred of profit from them. the backlash from them was the whole point). It stayed common for the whole console generation, it was the switch to digital with the next generation that got rid of it (and learning that preorder bonuses did the same thing more effectively).

There was a backlash overall, they apologized for it and undid all the Project $5's ($10?) that existed. I'm not claiming the apology was particularly genuine, but they did state that they were wrong, for the record.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I think if you made ME3 multiplayer today, with all the modern trappings of a a co-op shooter, it would do really well. A lot of people are hungry for more Mass Effect, and the bones of a really good co-op shooter are already there. Allow people to earn currency so they can purchase the things that affect game mechanics (weapons, classes, etc.) and add some supplemental real-money options (e.g., a "season pass," cosmetics, etc.). Charge ~ $20 at retail, if the money-men really need that upfront cost. It seems kind of like a no-brainer.

But maybe ME3MP was not as popular as I imagine, because other than a half-hearted effort in Andromeda, they haven't attempted it since. Also, EA is very stupid and greedy, so they'd probably fuck it up anyway.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    My My issue with andromeda's multiplayer is that the lag was WAY worse. most matches were almost unplayable for me. I rarely encountered that in ME3 I really wanted to play andromeda coop but after a few weeks I just couldn't it never worked well enough to continue.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think if you made ME3 multiplayer today, with all the modern trappings of a a co-op shooter, it would do really well. A lot of people are hungry for more Mass Effect, and the bones of a really good co-op shooter are already there. Allow people to earn currency so they can purchase the things that affect game mechanics (weapons, classes, etc.) and add some supplemental real-money options (e.g., a "season pass," cosmetics, etc.). Charge ~ $20 at retail, if the money-men really need that upfront cost. It seems kind of like a no-brainer.

But maybe ME3MP was not as popular as I imagine, because other than a half-hearted effort in Andromeda, they haven't attempted it since. Also, EA is very stupid and greedy, so they'd probably fuck it up anyway.

For whatever reason they couldn't manage to get it working well and that applied to ME:A and Dragon Age Inquisition.

I had fun with Andromeda MP but some people were definitely having noticeable lag/netcode issues and because of the dumbass kerfuffle around it's launch it became clear they were never going to be addressed.

They had the same problem with DA:I which had a really fun MP mode but it had bad performance issues from a lag perspective. Especially considering the bosses could require some fairly tight timing. They also went overboard on making the progression extremely drawn out in an effort to sell loot boxes. Which I'm guessing didn't work and why support for it disappeared so quickly.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    iirc the ME3 multiplayer actually was originally going to be a standalone title but got folded into mass effect somewhere along the dev cycle; probably because EA decided they wanted the payment model attached to their big flagship title. Presumably they thought that model would just continue in andromeda, but welp

what it honestly seems like to me is that they thought they could kinda split the difference between a standalone title and a live service game; graft a live service payment model on to raise some revenue, without really doing the kind of continuing dev games like that need to really thrive

plus I'm sure they started to see their lunch getting eaten by fortnite/pubg/etc

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    iirc the ME3 multiplayer actually was originally going to be a standalone title but got folded into mass effect somewhere along the dev cycle; probably because EA decided they wanted the payment model attached to their big flagship title. Presumably they thought that model would just continue in andromeda, but welp

what it honestly seems like to me is that they thought they could kinda split the difference between a standalone title and a live service game; graft a live service payment model on to raise some revenue, without really doing the kind of continuing dev games like that need to really thrive

plus I'm sure they started to see their lunch getting eaten by fortnite/pubg/etc

I don't think this is right at all. Live service was not a thing during the 360/Ps3 era like it was in the generations that followed. It was also extremely common at the time to have multiplayer modes attached to expensive AAA games, and it was uncommon to decouple those modes as their own game. EA already did the MP mode thing with Dead Space 2 before ME3 came out.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

I'd never heard of this before, huh. I wonder why it was an FPS when ME was always a TPS.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    ME3MP was just kind of a lucky strike. They never had any luck replicating it.

I remember being so confused by what Andromeda MP was trying to do when it had the new jump packs for more mobility so it wouldn't just be a cover shooter, and then one of the first patch notes was that enemies would draw and fire on you faster if you weren't in cover.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    For whatever reason they couldn't manage to get it working well and that applied to ME:A and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Wow. Yeah, I completely forgot about multiplayer in DAI.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    ME3 was a grounded, 3rd person cover shooter which meant that arenas could be tightly designed. MEA's jetpack and open world might be fun from a exploration and power fantasy perspective, but I felt that the quality of the combat encounters suffered.

• Options
    edited April 27

I don't think this is right at all. Live service was not a thing during the 360/Ps3 era like it was in the generations that followed. It was also extremely common at the time to have multiplayer modes attached to expensive AAA games, and it was uncommon to decouple those modes as their own game. EA already did the MP mode thing with Dead Space 2 before ME3 came out.

Also, even ME: Andromeda pre-dated PUBG and Fortnite, albeit by less than a year. PUBG was originally just a mod, and the battle royale was shoehorned into Fortnite at the last second when Epic thought that a PUBG style mode would work in their game that was never intended to even be that. Nobody had a clue beforehand just how huge the BR games were going to become.

Jazz on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    My problem with the ME:A MP is that enemies felt like bullet sponges on even moderate difficulties, and player abilities felt nerfed in terms of damage output. It felt like they had designed the MP with an intended meta of specific weapons and classes that were the only ones that actually had some punch, and of course they were all rare drops in the lootboxes. It all felt so calibrated to try and maximize how much money they could extract from players. In ME3MP, the base classes were perfectly playable on the harder difficulties, and even though there was definitely a gun meta later on (the Harrier, for example) you could still do really well with just your powers, and the swath of good weapons was pretty broad.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Wow. Yeah, I completely forgot about multiplayer in DAI.

It was so much fun! The pacing, the classes, the maps it all worked so well until you hit the boss and then it was a clusterfuck.

And then once everyone started to kinda understand how bad the progression was unless you dumped money on loot boxes combined with lots of games failing at the boss due to lag it all fell apart.