As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The Cutler/Avalon stuff was purely to provide a storyline for Dark. Putting them on Dynamite when AEW is already overloaded with tag teams would be genuinely baffling.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Avalon creating the Wingmen is great. Obviously he's not doing big stuff, but thats never been his role. He's just a midcard fun guy and he's great at that.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    nodaysoff FRED ROSSER III
    @realfredrosser
    I’m excited to officially announce I’ve signed W/ NJPW! All I can say moving forward is, don’t ever let your dreams just be dreams because as long as you’re patient & believe in your dreams, anything is possible. Patience is a talent #njpwSTRONG #blockthehate
    @njpw1972

@njpwworld

Hell yeah good for him

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Apparently nobody on the RAW announce team watches NXT UK. Or the 2nd Mae Young Classic.

Like... I know she's probably going to have a different name but nobody who has ever seen Piper could plausibly claim "who is this?!".

• Options
    It felt like they hadn’t decided on Niven’s new name yet, so they couldn’t identify her.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Lots of women's wrestling on Raw tonight.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    A truly perfect return for All Red Everything.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    I kind of loved that Alexa/Nia match? Alexa has managed to work being spooky in to a really compelling offense.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm gonna be that asshole who says Alexa's got guts to be in a match with Nia again.

Too bad she's an idiot.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Apparently nobody on the RAW announce team watches NXT UK. Or the 2nd Mae Young Classic.

Like... I know she's probably going to have a different name but nobody who has ever seen Piper could plausibly claim "who is this?!".

In general WWE's refusal to acknowledge anything outside of the current show you're watching is baffling. Isn't the point to draw new viewers from brand to brand? Like the whole idea of an "expanded universe" is to expand. The way they treat their IP would be like if the Marvel Cinematic Universe explicitly and aggressively denied the existence of their streaming shows.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Coming baby gimme some actual match footage

• Options
    NXT UK isn't real

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    fuck the Sting Sprite commercial, this is now the greatest wrestler commercial appearance of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVbeFdkV49g

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2021

In general WWE's refusal to acknowledge anything outside of the current show you're watching is baffling. Isn't the point to draw new viewers from brand to brand? Like the whole idea of an "expanded universe" is to expand. The way they treat their IP would be like if the Marvel Cinematic Universe explicitly and aggressively denied the existence of their streaming shows.

The worst part is the inconsistency. Sometimes they'll mention a superstar's (NXT) history, and sometimes not. Again, it's usually tied to if they're keeping the same name but even that doesn't feel 100% consistent.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Remember Rush's new promotion, Federacion Wrestling? The one selling their ppv through some sort of cryptocurrency site? Yeah - it's not happening.

thecubsfan has a whole write-up on the saga that's well-worth reading
    Both Andrade and Rush simultaneously announced they and their family members were no longer appear on the show on Monday evening due to unspecific logistical issues, though they wished the promotion the best. That seemed a prelude to more names removing themselves on Tuesday – other people booked for the show were already search for replacement work – so Federacion announcing refunds on Monday night spared them further embarrassment. Federacion’s official posture is the show is postponed due to those same undefined logistical concerns and will run at a different undefined date.

Federacion Wrestling had some of the biggest names in recent Mexican wrestling history – Rush, Andrade, Fenix, Penta, Bandido, Dragon Lee – and probably didn’t sell 1,000 tickets so far. It was an embarrassing result, one that would’ve framed those wrestlers poorly if they were seen in a barely occupied building on Saturday. I suspect “logistics” is also cover for “the show is a bomb so the promoter wanted to cut our pay”, and they decided to leave. I’m skeptical anyone thought this was going to actually ever work – if it was obvious a disaster from the press conference, it would’ve been obvious to them much sooner – and just hoped to get a payday or two out of it before it fell apart.

Be sure to also check out the message put up by the site selling the ppv!

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    Also worth mentioning CMLL ended their working relationship with RoH over that show. RoH didn't acknowledge it so it might just quietly resume, but if RoH is smart they'll stay solo or try to work with AAA.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    This is cute but Brandi is just there in the back and its like....huh?

Also not The Bucks or Kenny is weird.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tony Khan is undoubtedly another rich capitalist who is successful because of his dad's money, but you gotta give it to him that the dude actually loves wrestling, unlike the leader of his competition.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Nice article, but calling Kenny Omega a WWE veteran was kind of a WTF moment. I don't know if they are vastly overstating his cup of coffee in developmental, or if they just assumed all big name wrestlers come from WWE.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    This is cute but Brandi is just there in the back and its like....huh?

Also not The Bucks or Kenny is weird.

Some of the stills have people clearly laughing their asses off, it's amusing.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular

In the strange world of wrestling, how can you stand out enough to call yourself "One of a Kind"? Kefin and Jo recount the many ways RVD blazed his own trail!

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "blazed his own trail"

I get it.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Don West has brain lymphoma https://www.kpq.com/an-update-from-don-west/

I hope he makes a full recovery. Fuck cancer

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    don west will recover fully and then immediately report to the hotel bar

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »
    Probably the new GM, since Regal basically said he's leaving at the end of Takeover.

Nah, Regal said it's time for a change. That could definitely mean him getting more hands-on and not letting the inmates run the asylum, hence Joe as enforcer.

We have a winner, although Joe can't lay hands on a competitor... "unless provoked".

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    NXT spoilers

(Not sure about Streamable links on the forum, so spoilered)
    Good news, everyone!

Regal got better security!

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Probably the new GM, since Regal basically said he's leaving at the end of Takeover.

Nah, Regal said it's time for a change. That could definitely mean him getting more hands-on and not letting the inmates run the asylum, hence Joe as enforcer.

We have a winner, although Joe can't lay hands on a competitor... "unless provoked".

I’m a genius.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options

I’m a genius.

TBF both theories were "correct." Joe as GM was Regal's intent, but Joe had a counter-offer.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    If you are bored, I highly recommend watching AEW Dark at about the 47 minute mark (the Joey Janella interview) to enjoy Alex Marvez defining the factory they visited.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ...WWE, is it too much to ask you actually learn something, anything, from the last time Eva Marie was on the roster? Like, oh, I don't know... actually get her to wrestle instead of being someone's fucking valet and having someone job to them if you're going to hype her up this much?

Like, really- you got rid of Ruby Riott and others that could actually wrestle to make room for Eva, and then had someone like Naomi job to her pet project?

Why not re-hire the Iiconics, Ruby, maybe drop a line to Melina Perez or someone else to see if they want to make a comeback? Just... the fans loathe her, and this is kind of making us question your motives here: like, you actually want us to watch your product, yeah?

Just... cripes.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Unfairly released talent aside, is your complaint about the Eva/Piper thing seriously that you wanted Eva to wrestle?

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I was just griping that if they're going to make such a big deal about someone like Eva coming back to the roster, maybe she actually ought to climb into the ring for once instead of WWE just using her as a valet and a joke character. I mean, why not use that time to build up someone else? How much are they paying her to just show up and catch heat when they could be paying someone who's actually capable in the ring and could literally have done the same thing for the new talent they're introducing to the roster?

I just don't get it, honestly.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    I dunno, I don't watch WWE anymore so don't really have context for what they're doing with Eva Marie this time around. But there is a place for non-wrestling characters, especially in companies that go hard on the "entertainment" aspect like WWE. I genuinely loved how they used her in the past as someone who represented everything fans hated about the company. Unfortunately she had a falling out with WWE right when it seemed she was hitting her stride so it didn't work out, but maybe it will this time.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    WWE has moved away from a "traditional" wrestling show, that honestly I'm not bothered by Eva.

She's another character, and honestly the whole "Hype her up but not have her actually do anything in the ring" is probably the best use of her. It's also prob the best chance Piper has to be on the main roster and hopefully get over.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well fuck me running, I had no idea until I learned just now that Don Callis was The Jackyl, the guy who was the leader of The Truth Commission and then The Parade of Human Oddities.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AEW announced Dynamite on Sept 22 for NYC

It’s not MSG or Barclays but it’s something

This discussion has been closed.