As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm sorry I'm a bad person I hate MMA and its intersection with wrestling and wanted it to be so bad they'd never do it again.

Which, I still felt it was pretty bad but I'm apparently alone in that so ffffffffffffff

im sort of with you but im trying to rein in my negativity this month!

i'm a big wardlow fan and i want him to do stuff other than with Hager. seems to me AEW is grooming him off camera big time and its starting to pay off in small pieces. they're letting him talk more and its not terrible, so, good!

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    The Dark Order has reclaimed their crown of being the best part of BTE.

https://youtu.be/VDWR7cjYXSM

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Cody really did name his kid Liberty huh

Cody Rhodes is like if the YuGiOh Abridged version of Bandit Keith was a real human being

Molly is a former forumer

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Read this over at Resetera and it’s the scariest thing I ever read

Okada is backstage and bumps into Riddle who accidentally knocks a bucket of water over his head and says "looks like I'm the rainmaker now brokada"

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Huh, I just realized that Hell In The Cell 2021 had an even 50/50 split between men's and women's matches (43/57 if you count Natalya vs Mandy in the Kickoff). Wasn't done as a corporate promotion, no big Stephanie McMahon corporate buzzword speech; they just did it.

Huh, turns out it can be done. Go fucking figure.

Edit: I'm also very glad that Pat McAfee bravely and firmly came out as being anti-cannibalism. He may be a heel commentator, but he's a heel commentator with standards, damnit!

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Huh, I just realized that Hell In The Cell 2021 had an even 50/50 split between men's and women's matches (43/57 if you count Natalya vs Mandy in the Kickoff). Wasn't done as a corporate promotion, no big Stephanie McMahon corporate buzzword speech; they just did it.

Huh, turns out it can be done. Go fucking figure.

Edit: I'm also very glad that Pat McAfee bravely and firmly came out as being anti-cannibalism. He may be a heel commentator, but he's a heel commentator with standards, damnit!

I did notice there was a lot of women's matches last night, even if I literally slept through all ~8 minutes of Alexa/Shayna (sleep schedules are hard with a toddler who has no such thing).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Over the last few years we’ve had HIAC end with a DQ, a no contest, and a distraction roll-up.

WWE is determined to kill that match type.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    4kan4yn75jhl.jpeg

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Over the last few years we’ve had HIAC end with a DQ, a no contest, and a distraction roll-up.

WWE is determined to kill that match type.

As far as I’m concerned they already have it’s just another annual match type

There are no stakes to it

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Whoa, Eva with pink hair.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

I feel like I should point out that roughly 10 minutes after this, Piper/Doudrop bailed on Eva in a tag match. So this just may be slightly short lived.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    You never go full Mighty Molly.

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »

The butterfly theme is especially curious.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Doudrop.
    Not Piper, not Viper, not even Niven. Doudrop.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Doudrop.

I'm pretty sure that's a pokemon.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Doudrop.

I mean, the segment where they introduce the name makes it pretty clear that it is not the name she will use in the future, but rather one Eva gave her and is not happy about.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Well booking a heel to assign the dumb names creative comes up with sure is a way to spin things. It's sorta like when they blamed record low ratings on Baron Corbin.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »
    Doudrop.

I mean, the segment where they introduce the name makes it pretty clear that it is not the name she will use in the future, but rather one Eva gave her and is not happy about.

Yeah she was clearly mouthing "Piper".

Which just brings us back to the "nobody watches NXT UK/MYC2" discussion from last week.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Sounds like (yet another) another very bad show

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    It's been fine? The matches themselves have largely been solid, and we're getting Xavier Woods vs Bobby Lashley in Hell in a Cell in the main.

• Options
    The MITB line-up so far is a bunch of guys who deserve the opportunity. That's not likely to last (I already rolled my eyes at next week's "second chance" triple threat) but for now it feels fresh.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    School of Morton
    @RealRickyMorton
    I wrestle in my 50th state today.
    Pretty f’n cool if you ask me!
    @GCWrestling_

GCW held a show in Wyoming today, which according to the records on Cagematch.net is the 34th known wrestling event ever in the state

Was there a hot tag to Robert Gibson (well, as hot as a guy old enough to collect Social Security can manage)?
    So this is showing my age... back in the era of usenet there was rspw - rec.sport.pro-wrestling.

Like most communities, it had it's own terminology based on inside jokes - for example if some news was outdated, it was "Demolition" as in "This news might be Demolition but..." (this wasn't a slight against Demolition as a team, it was a reference to delayed news that Demolition had lost their world record tag title reign in a match taped weeks before broadcast in the days before such news would be available within hours). Similarly Sting was always referred to as "Dting" in reference to an infamous but now long forgotten typo.

One other piece of terminology - whenever someone was the designated "face in peril" during a tag match, taking all the heels offense before finally making the hot tag, that was referred to as "playing Ricky Morton".

He may not have originated the role, but my god did he ever make it a core part of his character for decades to come.

Archangle on
  • Options
    It's been fine? The matches themselves have largely been solid, and we're getting Xavier Woods vs Bobby Lashley in Hell in a Cell in the main.

That's sort of the thing, WWE has bought enough talented wrestlers that they kinda can't have a truly awful show unless they don't let them wrestle...

They come close because lord knows they will book every match to end in sports entertainment bullshit that negates what if any psychology the match has. I mean they did a distraction rollup finish in a Hell in a Cell match last night.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

This way lies the road to " we wish you best in your future endeavors"

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

This way lies the road to " we wish you best in your future endeavors"

And your gear in a trash bag.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm a huge fan The Hurricane, and honestly that character had more legs than probably anyone expected, but it's also a gimmick that I don't think can be replicated successfully.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan The Hurricane, and honestly that character had more legs than probably anyone expected, but it's also a gimmick that I don't think can be replicated successfully.

Very much agreed. Helms himself just absolutely committing to the bit is what made the character, too.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular

Fear Factory, much like WCW, is best when recorded and heavily produced.

• Options
    In fairness to Nikki, the whole thing worked a lot better in the match. They just picked the absolute worst visual way to introduce the concept. And this was apparently Nikki's own pitch for herself, so she's going to put her whole ass in to it.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    School of Morton
    @RealRickyMorton
    I wrestle in my 50th state today.
    Pretty f’n cool if you ask me!
    @GCWrestling_

GCW held a show in Wyoming today, which according to the records on Cagematch.net is the 34th known wrestling event ever in the state

Was there a hot tag to Robert Gibson (well, as hot as a guy old enough to collect Social Security can manage)?
    So this is showing my age... back in the era of usenet there was rspw - rec.sport.pro-wrestling.

Like most communities, it had it's own terminology based on inside jokes - for example if some news was outdated, it was "Demolition" as in "This news might be Demolition but..." (this wasn't a slight against Demolition as a team, it was a reference to delayed news that Demolition had lost their world record tag title reign in a match taped weeks before broadcast in the days before such news would be available within hours). Similarly Sting was always referred to as "Dting" in reference to an infamous but now long forgotten typo.

One other piece of terminology - whenever someone was the designated "face in peril" during a tag match, taking all the heels offense before finally making the hot tag, that was referred to as "playing Ricky Morton".

He may not have originated the role, but my god did he ever make it a core part of his character for decades to come.

"Playing Ricky Morton" is pretty widespread terminology, even today.

Now if we want to talk about weird insider slang, there was a message board I frequented back during Goldberg's first WWE run that called him "Smaffles" based on some highly incorrect closed captioning.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    personally i just now realized what i wanted for eva marie is to have her hang out with spooky alexa and do

we didn't deserve anything as good as wcw

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Theres a reason Wrestling Society X and Lucha Underground had bands playing at the shows

• Options
    I'm trying to give Nikki Cross' new gimmick a chance but it really shows how far she's fallen since being called up from NXT. I think NXT Nikki Cross might actually murder current Nikki Cross if it were possible for them to have a match.

It's also kinda highlighting a difference that still exists between how men and women are booked because this would be like Aleister Black being given the Captain New Japan gimmick.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think the absolute last thing to be concerned with here is how this gimmick is different than her other gimmick. Honestly, it's goofy, but it's also pro wrestling and there's room for goofy nonsense like this if she can pull it off. I don't have a ton of faith that WWE can pull it off, or will give her the chance to pull it off, but that's, you know, a structural issue that's barely related to this specific thing.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I have seen Stuck Mojo live. I have partied with Stuck Mojo. Fear Factory, you are no Stuck Mojo.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
This discussion has been closed.