As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    In fairness to Nikki, the whole thing worked a lot better in the match. They just picked the absolute worst visual way to introduce the concept. And this was apparently Nikki's own pitch for herself, so she's going to put her whole ass in to it.

If this is her concept I’m going to give it a minute to see if it works. Some folks have said this superhero thing is closer to what she did on the independents than what she was in Sanity/NXT

People have no complaints about a wrestler playing an actual dinosaur but they draw the line at a superhero make it make sense.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    jonny439 wrote: »
    Sprout wrote: »
    In fairness to Nikki, the whole thing worked a lot better in the match. They just picked the absolute worst visual way to introduce the concept. And this was apparently Nikki's own pitch for herself, so she's going to put her whole ass in to it.

If this is her concept I’m going to give it a minute to see if it works. Some folks have said this superhero thing is closer to what she did on the independents than what she was in Sanity/NXT

People have no complaints about a wrestler playing an actual dinosaur but they draw the line at a superhero make it make sense.

One is AEW and one is WWE, and WWE has had.....issues when it comes to non-traditional gimmicks.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    I get not trusting the WWE to pull it off but this all just comes across to me as people just wanting to complain about a product that they don’t watch. People aren’t saying “this could work too bad I don’t trust the WWE” they are saying “lol superhero gimmick” I’m not sold on it but we will see if it doesn’t work she’s not stuck with it forever. Chad Gable escaped “Shorty G” so if it goes south it’s not a death sentence.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan The Hurricane, and honestly that character had more legs than probably anyone expected, but it's also a gimmick that I don't think can be replicated successfully.

Of course WWE, which has no respect for the idea that an individual performer might be the reason a particular gimmick or storyline, is like a one-company Hollywood. "What was big last season? Let's just do that again, that'll work! It doesn't matter that we have none of the principals that made it work..."

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I mean, apart from anything else it seems very much like this was Nikki's pitch, this wasn't something that was forced on her.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I can't figure out how to link it, because Instagram is shit, but Toni Storm came out as bi on the NXT Instagram earlier today

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    I can't figure out how to link it, because Instagram is shit, but Toni Storm came out as bi on the NXT Instagram earlier today

Here's NXT's tweet with the video:

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Toni rules, very happy for her

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I'm trying to give Nikki Cross' new gimmick a chance but it really shows how far she's fallen since being called up from NXT. I think NXT Nikki Cross might actually murder current Nikki Cross if it were possible for them to have a match.

It's also kinda highlighting a difference that still exists between how men and women are booked because this would be like Aleister Black being given the Captain New Japan gimmick.

As opposed to Aleister Black being given a "Dark Father" gimmick that received two months of promos and a major angle seed by costing Big E the chance to regain the IC title and then being released because "Vince has nothing for him"?

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I'm trying to give Nikki Cross' new gimmick a chance but it really shows how far she's fallen since being called up from NXT. I think NXT Nikki Cross might actually murder current Nikki Cross if it were possible for them to have a match.

It's also kinda highlighting a difference that still exists between how men and women are booked because this would be like Aleister Black being given the Captain New Japan gimmick.

As opposed to Aleister Black being given a "Dark Father" gimmick that received two months of promos and a major angle seed by costing Big E the chance to regain the IC title and then being released because "Vince has nothing for him"?

Don't try to use Vince McMahon's brain as any sort of constant when trying to logic out anything. It's fucking Calvinball in there. The man is mad as a bag of cats.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Good news everyone. From tonight's NXT:

The Diamond Mine is not, in fact, a Tessa Blanchard thing, but instead has a bunch of good people!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Oh shit, Hideki Suzuki. Multi-time Big Japan Strong World Champion, he's pretty good at the hard hitting stuff.

Have to say though, my favorite memories of him are from Spring Break 2019. During which he accidentally took a big boot from Nick Gage during his match against Shinjiro Otani. And caught the Invisible Man (or Invisible Stan?) after a sweet balcony jump in this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cslu7zFmPjM

I also seem to remember him appearing on an episode of DDT's Maji Manji, not wrestling, but accompanying Shinya Aoki or Kendo Kashin. And just standing ringside eating a sweet bun. But that one may be a fever dream.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    they've been having teasers of a battery charging up and I'm very worried ever since a friend said that Sami Callahan is a free agent

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Joey Janella went incognito to an anti face mask thing and kind of made the news

(note Joey is doing this to troll the Anti mask/vaxxers dont get worked folks)

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ugghhhhhh what a dingle

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    It was a troll at least, he isn't an antivaxxer

He also apparently got very close to that one ex-NXT QAnoner

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    It was a troll at least, he isn't an antivaxxer

He also apparently got very close to that one ex-NXT QAnoner

Ohhh gotcha. Since he was using all those hashtags it seemed like he was on that side.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Watched HIAC today. The commentators kept going on and on about how dangerous the structure itself is, how it changes careers...it's just a big steel cage. It was the performers that made it special. When you don't have people willing to do insane shit, or people willing to book it, you get HIAC 2021.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Outside of a few matches, HIAC should have probably never been done again after Foley jumped off of one.

Because that's the bar. Are you willing to jump off the cage into a desk?

No? Then you shouldn't do the match.

Yes? Well then we probably shouldn't even book the match because that's hella dangerous and you're gonna kill yourself.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Outside of a few matches, HIAC should have probably never been done again after Foley jumped off of one.

Yes? Well then we probably shouldn't even book the match because that's hella dangerous and you're gonna kill yourself.

Off it, through it.

HIAC should still be used, but it should be used because two people want to murder each other legally, and not because it's June.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

A wrestling podcast I listen to, the Lawcast made a point of how HHH tried to make HiaC about bloody brawling and not crazy bumps after the Foley bump, and pretty succesfully did it until they couldn't bleed anymore.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

A wrestling podcast I listen to, the Lawcast made a point of how HHH tried to make HiaC about bloody brawling and not crazy bumps after the Foley bump, and pretty succesfully did it until they couldn't bleed anymore.

And even then, dudes still bleed in there. Look at Drew's back by the midpoint of that match last Sunday.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    There's been plenty of great HIAC matches over the years, really. Even fairly recently.

• Options

Neato!

With Miyu Yamashita as champ again and Yuka's reaction to losing their match at CyberFight Festival this was expected. It also suggests that her tag partner Mizuki will be going on a big singles run which, yes please!

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Joey is auctioning off his antivaxxer costume for charity

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I like Nikki's new thing because it get's her and Alexa back on a tag team. Just 2 extremely delusional people now.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    There's been plenty of great HIAC matches over the years, really. Even fairly recently.

I feel like they were great matches and the HiaC didn't help them.

The stipulation is ruined by not being able to bleed. Thats a huge factor in making HiaC different from regular matches.

Magell on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    the Usos/New Day HIAC is an all-timer

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    the Usos/New Day HIAC is an all-timer

That's the one that immediately came to mind.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I like Nikki's new thing because it get's her and Alexa back on a tag team. Just 2 extremely delusional people now.

Is Alexa really delusional? She seems to actually have evil supernatural powers.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    How much you wanna bet at some point, someone whose name probably rhymes with mince pitched an idea of having Alexa being a robotic, digital assistant character?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    I'd also be pissed if I was stuck at WWF New York.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    That led to one of my favorite Edge promos, where he vows not to "Billy Gunn" his KotR title.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mabICstHhpY

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    *Maki_Itoh T-shirt announcement*

This hits on payday, clearly it is meant to be...*buys a simp and Cutest In the World shirt*

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    lmao eva marie already back on the alumni section

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

This was 2 years into Mr. Ass. Did Monty have enough self-respect left to feel slighted?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    lmao eva marie already back on the alumni section

WAT?

Twitch: Thawmus83
This discussion has been closed.