Options

X-Pac and Jerry Lynn Appreciation Thread [Wrestling]

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Magell wrote: »
    Punk vs Garcia was very good. I love Garcia's relentless attack on the knee and Punk getting the win without G2S since his leg was damaged.

This match and the one against Hobbs made both guys look great.

I was actually hoping Punk would bring back the Anaconda Vice in his last match, after finding that Hobbs was too heavy for him to effectively GTS.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Lame, Rhodes to the Top has a shot with Uno without his mask on and man that’s no bueno

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that Dan Lambert's promos are shitty attempts to get heel heat by being an angry boomer.

Meanwhile in NXT they've got Joe Gacy and his angry boomer written promos attracting an audience that is on average 62 years old.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    finally saw omega vs d bry and my boi knows that the cattle mutilation makes me pop everytime

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I liked Garcia vs Suzuki on West Coast Pro a lot. Much more of the NJPW style than the match vs Punk. Lots of nice grappling to start though.

Also the venue for the show looked very cool. Will have to check out the replay as I missed the opening of the match as well as the AJ Gray vs Davey Richards match.

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Wrestle Princess is starting now for anyone interested in seeing Maki Itoh get kicked in the head.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Big dick Tony coming up to bat lol

• Options
    Speaking of Tony Beyond must have complained to him after the Adora/Lee vs Orange/Statlander match because Uncharted Territory started with a very good Wheeler Yuta vs Leyla Hirsh match.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The King of the Ring finals will be held at Crown Jewel.

Something tells me Sami Zayn won't be winning his semifinal match next week.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Match records for Queens’ Crown competitors in 2021:

Toni 4-6
    Zelina 1-10
    Liv 8-12
    Mella 3-19
    Doudrop 8-6 (3 NXT UK matches)
    Nat 18-19
    Dana 5-13
    Shayna 20-28

• Options
    Speaking of Tony Beyond must have complained to him after the Adora/Lee vs Orange/Statlander match because Uncharted Territory started with a very good Wheeler Yuta vs Leyla Hirsh match.

Man, what a weird tag match that was. I don't think Dex or I mentioned it at the time but we've never seen a crowd simultaneously get so confused and have the energy sucked out of it like the start of that match.

• Options

Man, what a weird tag match that was. I don't think Dex or I mentioned it at the time but we've never seen a crowd simultaneously get so confused and have the energy sucked out of it like the start of that match.

It definitely hindered that match because I was super hyped and it was just fine.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Wrestle Princess is starting now for anyone interested in seeing Maki Itoh get kicked in the head.

weren't wrong

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options

Match records for Queens’ Crown competitors in 2021:

Toni 4-6
    Zelina 1-10
    Liv 8-12
    Mella 3-19
    Doudrop 8-6 (3 NXT UK matches)
    Nat 18-19
    Dana 5-13
    Shayna 20-28

How the fuck does WWE manage to book the majority of their roster to have more losses than wins? Compare this to AEW where somehow half the roster is on a 10 match win streak and Hikaru Shida has 49 wins to her name.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    That old 25/75 booking.

no but the actual answer is that they can never have their big stars lose for some reason.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    The actual answer is they don’t bring in jobbers like AEW does. Jade Cargill can go on a huge winning streak and only face one woman contracted to AEW during that time. It lets them artificially inflate W-L (because AEW has made that a huge part of their presentation) without having contracted wrestlers lose a lot.

I don’t actually know if there’s a better or worse method, honestly. The AEW method means everyone has the appearance of being “strong” but they don’t wrestle each other and you end up with a division with no real stories. The WWE method focuses on a few top stars and has actual stories for most performers, but you end up with a situation where people are losing more than they should

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Also, doesn’t WWE still pay dependent upon if you won or lost? Seems like a pretty good incentive to have a bunch of people never win.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Also, doesn’t WWE still pay dependent upon if you won or lost? Seems like a pretty good incentive to have a bunch of people never win.

They're on contracts, maybe kayfabe they're paid that way but not literally.

• Options
    Bringing in jobbers is very good for indies so I'm for it just from that perspective. Doesn't matter for big indies but local shows able to advertise someone 'as seen on AEW' is good for them.

The local promotion I go to had a lot more people talking about AEW after Punk's return and had their shirts, plus it had JD Drake advertised as an AEW wrestler.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Bringing in jobbers is very good for indies so I'm for it just from that perspective. Doesn't matter for big indies but local shows able to advertise someone 'as seen on AEW' is good for them.

The local promotion I go to had a lot more people talking about AEW after Punk's return and had their shirts, plus it had JD Drake advertised as an AEW wrestler.

I do appreciate that it gets some exposure for local indie folks, but also find that it is less common in AEW for someone to lose and look bad doing it

A lot of matches have happened where I instinctually expect a squash but someone has actually gotten a decent showing out of it before the pin

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »

I do appreciate that it gets some exposure for local indie folks, but also find that it is less common in AEW for someone to lose and look bad doing it

A lot of matches have happened where I instinctually expect a squash but someone has actually gotten a decent showing out of it before the pin

The Anthony Henry vs Kingston match on Dark was like that, and more obviously Yuta and especially Garcia coming in and becoming featured wrestlers.

I love that Punk has really been working the young guys, although that is changing next Friday, but who doesn't love an IWA:MS throwback match.

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

weren't wrong

Death, taxes, and Miyu Yamashita's skull kick.

Honestly a bit disappointed she didn't KO Maki again.

• Options
    After Jericho on Rampage and a bunch of GCW shows the commentary on Beyond seems even better.

• Options
    After Jericho on Rampage and a bunch of GCW shows the commentary on Beyond seems even better.

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I assume they're using Sidney Bakabella and Paul Crockett? Honestly one of if not my favorite commentary team going.

• Options

I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I assume they're using Sidney Bakabella and Paul Crockett? Honestly one of if not my favorite commentary team going.

I believe so. Prazak didn't manage to reign Kevin Gill in as much as I had hoped.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

The IInspiration are signing with Impact, first appearance will be at Bound For Glory

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    There is something pleasing about seeing a wrestling promotion not fuck up the simple clear progression of matches that a wrestler should go through.

Sometime in wrestling the obvious next thing should be the obvious next thing.

Woo, woo, woo.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Gosh, that might be one of the best wrestling announcement videos I've ever seen

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's based on another video created 6 years ago for OSW Review.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geM7g2l88BE
    The creator of that video tragically took their own life 3 years ago.

It seems pretty not cool if someone copied the idea without crediting Tri.Moon - especially as they are not around to explicitly give their permission.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's based on another video created 6 years ago for OSW Review.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geM7g2l88BE
    The creator of that video tragically took their own life 3 years ago.

It seems pretty not cool if someone copied the idea without crediting Tri.Moon - especially as they are not around to explicitly give their permission.

The original version of this was a WWE production. The OSW version is itself a copy.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

I want to check this out and see how much Rosser has progressed since leaving WWE

I thought all three matches on this episode of Strong were pretty great.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    After watching this week’s Rampage: I feel like we have now thoroughly established that “Cage can’t beat a Team Taz member because of interference”

I just don’t know what this match was supposed to accomplish that the last 3 or 4 didn’t. I was waiting for something different, like “Cage has friends too now” or “actually Ricky pulls out a clean victory by the skin of his teeth” and it was just… more of what we’ve seen, but no DQ this time.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    After watching this week’s Rampage: I feel like we have now thoroughly established that “Cage can’t beat a Team Taz member because of interference”

I just don’t know what this match was supposed to accomplish that the last 3 or 4 didn’t. I was waiting for something different, like “Cage has friends too now” or “actually Ricky pulls out a clean victory by the skin of his teeth” and it was just… more of what we’ve seen, but no DQ this time.

yes. was thinking the exact same thing. what was the point of this match? what was this supposed to prove?

the conundrum of this questionable match goes hand-in-hand with the conundrum discussed in the last page or so where AEW likes to have stars just squash indy wrestlers instead of fighting each other so they just emerge from Dark Elevation with a 14-1 record and getting a title match despite not actually having beaten anyone...

this works for some but with others I think it really under-serves them..

i shall call it, "The Brian Cage Vortex"

here we have this big 300 pound man who professionally only beats Big Shotty Lee and then when he gets a "real" match he just gets hit by a prop from someone ringside and loses and then goes back to youtube for a couple more months.

Lance Archer is also in this vortex. Lance Archer should be obliterating mid-card talent every week, but I guess nobody wants their feelings hurt??

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    At this point I feel strongly that AEW would profit from a G1-like tournament.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Gosh, that might be one of the best wrestling announcement videos I've ever seen

Giancarlo is back with them and it shows. He also did the "Jimmy Still Loves Lacey" preview for Emo Fight a few weeks back.

I don't know if it was ever explicitly stated but it's easy to guess that he was part of the video/graphics production department who got fired from WWE this year. While that sucks and is really shitty, it's great to see him back working for GCW. The kind of videos Giancarlo makes are invaluable to smaller companies in getting noticed on social media and improve the image of the indies as a whole. Hell, the main reason he was on WWE's radar was because of his Spring Break hype videos from several years back. I'd love to see a new crop of production creatives learn from him.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    At this point I feel strongly that AEW would profit from a G1-like tournament.

There's no doubt that a league tournament can play on existing rivalries and provide a lot of fodder for new feuds. But have to admit, I'd be most interested in seeing how they'd handle the logistics of it. With two TV shows that total three hours a week, it feels like they'd have to choose between making small blocks, pacing the tournament over a few months, or loading up their shows with the tournament matches (which could take away from the women's division, tag teams, and any other other storylines).

One of the biggest reasons so many companies do league tournaments in the first place is they're a great way to draw crowds for smaller markets when touring. AEW doesn't seem to have that issue at all.

• Options
    They're announcing another world title eliminator so I think they're happy with a standard tournament, but I'd love to see a league tournament.

• Options
    It's not like AEW has to do a 20 man tournament over two months. Even taking two or four people out of the round robin brackets can greatly decrease the number of matches.

Also speaking of tournaments it's pretty stupid that WWE booked Queen's Crown and King of the Ring at the same time completely unprompted. So now each tournament is fielding eight people meaning that WWE's split brands are looking at their entire roster and going "uuuhhhh...those four."

Mwx884o.jpg
This discussion has been closed.